Customize

Going free A religious organization that spun off from the Church of Scientology held its annual con

Discussion in 'Independent Scientology' started by Ersatz, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Ersatz Global Moderator

https://www.newsreview.com/reno/going-free/content?oid=17430275

• Like Like x 3
  2. RightOn Member

free thought my ass
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Well, in the FreeZone you have to convince others to disconnect from people who don't accept your flavour of groupthink rather than being to enforce a central mandate. Sort of a peer-to-peer version of Scientology "Ethics".
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Fee thought.......
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JohnnyRUClear Member

As I've noted multiple times before, "Scientology" has multiple definitions, which leads to the confusion about what "it" is. To clear this confusion up, what is needed is a distinction between (a) "Scientology" as a practice and set of beliefs and writings and (b) the organizational structure often called the "Church of Scientology". (a) might arguably be a religion, but (b) is most definitely not (one organizational structure cannot encompass a religion; see "schism").

I still say the whole movement is a cult, not a religion, because it isn't going to survive for long outside of the Truman Show of the "Church of Scientology". The Free Zone and other spinoff entities are non-viable, since the "tech" is rubbish. The only thing that perpetuates all of this is the CoS and the definitively culty practices therein, which suppress the remaining members' intuitive desires to leave. The FZ, et al will only survive as long as there's an outflow of ex-members who still believe in Hubbard but no longer Miscavige.

Eventually it will all dry up since the rest of the world is increasingly onto the con.

If I'm wrong and it -- as in (a), not (b), which is definitely doomed -- does manage to stay around longer than a few more decades, it will become another inert anachronism, like the Christian Science reading rooms you can still occasionally spot -- and naturally ignore -- in cities.
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Random guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. On the cult front, I would say that it is impossible to create a Scientology organization that literally follows its "scripture" that is not a cult. You might be able to create something that ignored enough of Hubbard's nonsense to make it not be a cult but I think it would die rather quickly. I think without the cult aspects you can't persuade many people that the whole endeavour is worthwhile.
    • Like Like x 6