Customize

Green Brief #10 (June 26)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by NiteOwl, Jun 26, 2009.

1. NiteOwl Member

(Fresh News from Iran)

I'm NiteOwl AKA Josh Shahryar - twitter.com/iran_translator on twitter - and I've been immersed in tweets from Iran for the past several hours. I have tried to be extremely careful in choosing my tweet sources. What I have compiled below is what I can confirm through my reliable twitter sources. Remember, this is all from tweets. No news media outlets have been used. (All my work is released under Creative Commons (CC). You can freely use it and repost it wherever you'd like to. Just provide a link to the original source at the bottom.)

These are the important happenings that I can positively confirm from Friday, June 26 in Iran.

1. No large rallies or prsotests were held today. There were unconfirmed reports of small gatherings in isolated areas of the city, but for the most part, Tehran didn't seem to witness the same as it has been for the past two weeks. Sources indicated that it was in no way a sign of giving up, but rather a brief interval in more protests that are to come. They added that currently, the Sea of Green is organizing and regrouping as well as coming up with new ways to defy the authorities and also know of the fate of their leaders in order to progress.

2. At 1 PM, however, a large number of people in Tehran took to roofs and released green balloons to show solidarity with the Sea of Green and to commemorate protesters who've died so far. (Link showing the balloons: YouTube - IRAN RIGGED ELECTIONS: Green balloons were used as a form of protest all over Iran 6/26/2009 ) At night, the people again took to the roofs and chanted "Allah o Akbar" and "Death to the Dictator". They also burned candles and held vigils. There was confirmation of the death of one protester who was fired upon by security forces as he chanted from his rooftop. Reports of vigils also came from Mashhad.

3. Khamenei was supposed to lead Friday prayers in Tehran and give a speech; however, he was a no show. Ayatollah Sayyid Ahmad Khatami a hard-line cleric and a member of the Assembly of Experts who has strong ties with Khamenei and Ahmadinejad lead the prayers in his stead. He claimed that the protesters were acting against Allah, branded them 'rioters' and called for their suppression through any means possible. He also added that the government will not bend against pressure and that Neda was killed by protesters. This is backtrack from the government's earlier statements that Neda had been ordered to be killed by a BBC correspondent.

4. Reports indicate that the reason why Khamenei did not attend the prayers was Ayatollah Montazeri's statements yesterday that denounced the government's suppression of the protesters' 'legitimate demands'. This, according to sources, creates a divide between the powerful clergy which has pressured Khamenei just enough to stop him from giving out another speech of the caliber he gave last week. 4. Whether Montazeri's current stance will develop into something of a bigger boost to protesters remains to be seen.
    5. (For those who don't know, Montazeri was Khomeini's designated successor until just a few months before Khomeini's death; he openly criticized the Islamic regime and was sidelined in favor of Khamenei. He still wields enough considerable support among the more moderate clergy and is popular among liberal Muslims in Iran.)

6. Meanwhile, on the government's official English News channel, Press TV, George Galloway, a British MP representing the constituency of Bethnal Green and Bow, spent several hours denouncing the protests, Israel and Zionism. He called upon the world to accept Ahmadinejad's re-election and called on the protesters to go home and accept the will of the people. He did not indicate which people he meant when he made that statement.

7. A reliable source indicated that Khomeini's family has thrown its lot behind the protesters. Although they denied calling out for a protest tomorrow, they indicated that they were with the protesters and claimed to be supporting the protesters lawful demands and don't consider Ahmadinejad's government legitimate anymore. This, coupled with Montazeri's statements and Larijani's lethargy, is a strong indication that the clergy are divided in what to do with the protesters and that there is a considerable level of public support now for the protesters among the religious elite.

8. The spokesperson of the Guardian Council announced today that a commission had been formed to recount 10% of the ballots cast with representatives of the candidates present. The commission includes Ali Akbar Velayati, Hadad Adel, Eftekhar Jahromi, Aboutorabi Fard, Dari Najafabadi and Hossein Rahimian. He also gave candidates 24 hours to appoint representatives that would join the commission in the recount.

9. As reported before, the government is heavily charging people for the return of their dead family members' bodies who were killed during the protests. Families are being charged thousands of dollars and are also required to sign a waiver that states they won't sue the police and that Mousavi is the reason behind the death of their loved ones. More people were arrested today including Mohammad Mostafaie, who is a prominent lawyer and important reformist.

10. . The Iranian Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden was attacked today by angry Swedish-Iranians after a peaceful protest. It has been reported that as the protesters neared the gate, one of the guards tried to force the protesters away which enraged them and they tried to take over the Embassy. The police were forced to call for back up to control the protesters. There was also a report of a molotov bomb thrown by pro-Sea of Green protesters at the Iranian Embassy in Bern, Switzerland. It caused little damage to one of the walls.

11. The government is continuously attacking and arresting Iranians who are using twitter to get the message out to the world. Several of our sources have so far been arrested or have stopped using twitter altogether, yet the remainder have pledged to continue until the last minute. Amidst the somber mood, some emotional moments can also be seen. One Iranian tweeted: "I would rather our Iranian youth were tweeting about Michael Jackson than having 2 face this death & horror. Lets set them free to do so."

(There is simply too much on the tweets about where Mousavi is at this point. According to last reports, he was being sternly watched by the government and his movement is restricted, but it's an ever evolving situation.)

Read this if you want to help or get help!

The government in Iran is still increasing internet filtering and throttling in an attempt to silence their people. Anonymous info shows that many in Iran are looking for proxy and Tor information in Tehran and all around the country. Please donate your bandwidth to help bring down the Iran Curtain. Here are links on how to help and get help on this:

English: Tor and the Iranian Election - Bring down the Iran Curtain | Ian's Brain

Farsi: Tor: ?????? Tor

Images and vids and instructions on how to send them to us:

Helpers with expertise in the field of medecine, translation and such:

“Medici Cu Internet is a collaboration between piratbyran.org, HackersWithoutBorders and werebuild.eu trying to organize contacts with medical expertise online since there are problems in Iran with hospitals being monitored by the government. Join the IRC-channel at #mci-ir - WebIRC - AnonNet or send an email to us at embassy [at] piratbyran.org for more info. Medical experts, Farsi-translators and people who know the medical situation in iran are welcome to join and collaboratively set up an index with common injuries and their best treatments.”

People Outside Iran: This is as clear and concise as I can be. I have not included ANYTHING that I have sensed to be remotely fishy, but humans always err.

People Inside Iran: Don't believe a WORD of what I am telling you. Do what you think is best, keeping everything in mind. I know LITTLE of what you know so make your decisions based on your OWN judgment.

P.S. Please post this around and tweet and retweet.
  2. sp4rrowh4wk Member

thank you very much
  3. Thanks again.
  4. Visionary Member

Awesome job. Great to hear that people are trying to think of new ways to protest and only resting for the time being.

Also good job finding that video. I hadn't see one with multiple launchings yet.

On a side note, where the heck does Iran find those losers who do the English news service for them?
  5. Good work

keep it up
  6. Very Good job...as always!
  7. MrZand Member

Green Brief #10

Thanks! Keep up the good work! You make me proud to be Iranian!
  8. Thank you NiteOwl, this is much appreciated - they are actually fighting for all of us. Peace.
  9. I've said it before: what you do is so important, more than I can express. Thank you.
  10. Many thanks

Nite Owl, you perform a much-needed service for anyone who wants to know what's happening. Very complete, concise, and reliable. Nothing like it on the whole internet.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  11. Thanks

Thanks for this info. I'm a doc and this provides some good info about how best to help out.
  12. Thank you very much. I look forward to these reports daily.
  13. thanx!

niteowl, I have spent the last 2 weeks searching, and you are the most stable, clear minded and reliable person reporting on this. you should please keep it up, and I would think you would make a great reporter, if you aren't one already. also an award for this great job is well deserved!
    keep it going!
  14. You time and effort is much appreciated.
  15. Lara Member

Thank you so much.
  16. Thank you

This is truly amazing NiteOwl, what you're doing, you're an incredible man in every sense. I wish I could help, I don't have the skill and I don't know what to do. I'm posting all of your briefs in links on my own website for easy access to as many as will look. If there was anything more I could do, anything actually useful *shrugs* I'm just so frustrated.
  17. MassuUnion Member

On #7: Holy crap, really? That's pretty mind-blowing, and if word of that can spread, it'd be a huge blow to the image of the current regime. When the family of your great revolutionary leader calls you out for how you're harming your own people, how great a leader do you think you are?
  18. Nighttochme Member

Thank you so much!!!!

All your effort is highly appreciated by hundrets and thousands of ppl, be sure bout that! We love your honesty about how UNSURE all informations basically are and how to deal with this fact by SOG-Members.
    I'll start Re-tweeting immediantly and hope to reach even more than U did already with those tweets.

Be blessed and safe-
    AdIr
  19. Tashakur

Man Amrikoyistam. Mille Shukria. Bobakhsheyd agar Farsi-e man drust neyst. See sal ter shoda ast ke dar Afghanistan zindagi kardam. Khoda kona ke sma wa kull-e Irani-e sabz bekhatar basheyd. Zinda basheyd. Uqmat-e Iran halle bequnun ast. Hamzaminha bokushan. Zahnha bokushan. Zamin-e Iran sorkh az khun-e atfal ast rang shoda ast. Kashang basheyd. Baroy-e mamlakat-e tan kar ko. Estrahat nako. Natarsi. Dil-e man harroz baroye sahat-e tan namoz mekonad. Gardash-e sabz hatman mawafaq showa.

David (Daoud) McCargar
    AKA Twitter DavEnergy
  20. Lara Member

hehe.. Khomeini, not Khamenei

Khamenei succeeded Khomenei (who died some time ago) in his current position.
  21. moogah Member

I'm too cynical to allow myself to believe this. I also can't think of a reason why the regime would be interesting in spreading this type of disinformation. If this is true then it's a big kick in the nuts to tyranny.

Minority Report: Iran is surprisingly savvy with propaganda in this case. They are capitalizing on the shift in focus for the global news in order to take eyes off the prosecutions which are inevitable.
  22. Nighttochme Member

Oh well...some ppl intend the good but pass all the bad details somehow....
  23. This is NiteOwl reporting for us, he hasn't let us down yet. And besides, there is at least one reason why #7 is true, but mentioning it would endanger his source. ;) So let go of the cynicism and believe just this once.
  24. Lara Member

misspelt sorry >< i don't quite understand what you said :(
  25. Brilliant

We want to know what is happening. US press is overwhelmed by Michael Jackson death but serious people know this is trivia. What cause did he die for? I am so moved by the protests, the bravery and the terrible deaths, which without twitter we would never see the impact, urgency, drama, compassion for the dying and their situations. I wish we could do more than witness, but that is the least we can do. We need to know. I still have prayers out for a meaningful outcome to this sacrifice. Thank you for the information.
  26. Nighttochme Member

@Lara: I meant, that obviously some people reading our messages, aren't that firm in iranian politics as they wish they were... ;-)
    Mixing up names is easily though, for the european or american ears, as they often sound quiet familiar.
  27. Nighttochme Member

Amen on that one!!!!! if you can#t trust Night-Owl, who else then?!?!!!!!!!!
  28. Great Job

We hope you the best of lucks in your struggle for Freedom. I'll help as much as I can!
  29. angie0972 Member

the devil never sleeps

idon't know the right words to say for what you are doing, people should be free to live as they choose, i guess i just want to say thank you. i will continue to spread the word, so keep info comming.i know you never sleep(smiles) :)
  30. Thank you

PersianKiwi, Oxfordgirl and others are never far from my mind. They are simply amazing and so beautiful in their courage and love for their fellow Iranians who crave freedom but do not have the ability or bravery to fight.

Thank you for keeping us up to date. These people are our family. We worry about them. We pray for them. We keep them close to our hearts.

Thanks to all who are working to keep the Iran Election sham front and center. God Bless.
  31. Ginny8159 Member

32. regarding item #7. It is patently obvious that the only way to save the republic is for Khamenei to fall on his sword. If he is not willing, then a firm push with a healthy dose of scapegoating is in order.

If the mullahs do not win back the hearts of their youth then the theocracy is doomed. Their neighbor, Iraq, will be a constant reminder of all the failed promises of the revolution and lies of the government. Iraq's economy is growing , Iraq has truly open ballots where any candidate may run, Iraq actually counts the votes before announcing a winner, Iraqi may demonstrate without being beaten or jailed, etc. etc. If the mullahs just continue the status quo the the resentment will fester and explode. The need someone to blame so that the "system" can remain clean. They need to appease the majority youths so that resentment does not fester. They need a scapegoat ... one who is in a position to be blamed for cheating an election and ordering the basiji to beat protestors .... hmm. Now where can the assembly of experts find such a scapegoat so that they can save the Islamic republic? Hmmm... there's got to be somebody who fits that description. Who could it be?

Honestly, I suspect the decision has already been made. What hasn't been figured out is what to do next, how to appease the youth while retaining power, and how to make sure the problem isn't replayed at the next election. If not, then I expect a violent revolution or major war to engulf (& nearly destroy) Iran within a decade.

Just my two cents regarding item #7.
  33. If you find merit

Hello Niteowl,

Over the past few days, I've seen many instructions about web-sites and renewing IP addresses. Some of thes instructions are dangerous I'm concerned that some may not understand the normal workings of such a server.

If you find merit, please translate and disseminate to those you know you can trust within Iran.

All web servers have the capability of logging IP addresses. In order to send the very page itself, the server must know the IP address to which it must be sent. A byproduct of this is the capability to log the IP address with the date and time in a text file, or other form of log file. While these log files are typically not perused on a regular basis, they exists. Government officials have the ability (if not the authority) to require those logs be maintained and demand them.

There are also a number of server-side scripting languages that are used to create web sites. These scripts can easily be hidden from the user, even if the user looks at the "source" sent to the client machine. On the server-side though, these scripts routinely log IP address, date and time. If the server is a trap, run by the enemy, the scripts are specifically set up to log such information and provide it automatically to the operator or an agent immediately upon connection.

With an IP address, and the date and time stamp of the connection, the service provider may then be contacted. As a matter of necessity, the service provider will keep records of the IP address and who gets it. The act of connecting requires some kind of authentication which identifies the user as a paying customer. Thus, a record of the date, time, IP address, and billing information is logged. Even if someone is using a dail-up connection, disconnects, and reconnects to get a different IP address, the date, time, IP address, and billing address are already logged by the provider. In this way, people can be identified.

None of this is particularly advanced knowledge. The ability to trace a person to a particular location via an IP address only requires two things. The knowledge contained in this note, and the authority to demand, or keep the records.

Niteowl, I have no need to know who it is within Iran that you contact. You should probably trust no one. I only ask that you consider the information I've provided and, if you believe it beneficial, simply translate it and disseminate it as you see fit.

God Bless and keep you well.

-Daemon Process
  34. skollie-IRAN Member

Read the article. He's referring to what just happened in the election.

35. how does he know?
  36. Thank you!

Thank you NightOwl for the best source of information for ongoings in Iran...

I plead that you protect your sources with as much technical anonymity as possible!
  37. Neda's Killer Known?

Wow - read this story!

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iran doctor tells of Neda's death

The doctor in the video speaks out... protestors grabbed the Basiji who shot Neda, grabbed his identity card, and took pictures.

SHARE THOSE PEOPLE OF IRAN!

Let's embarass the regime that claims her death was due to "protestors"...
  38. Thanx so much

Merci - This is really helpful ... I am praying to see this uprising to succeed - I retweet and email and post to FB - the least I can do
  39. harrystaab Member

Thank you for your faithfulness to providing the "news" we are unable to receive because of the media ban in Iran.
  40. Security Forces

Do you have an idea how the various IRG units are squaring up? How about the army. In the short term this may be won with the side with the biggest and most guns.