Customize

Green Brief #14

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by NiteOwl, Jun 30, 2009.

1. NiteOwl Member

I'm NiteOwl AKA Josh Shahryar - twitter.com/iran_translator on twitter - and I've been immersed in tweets from Iran for the past several hours. I have tried to be extremely careful in choosing my tweet sources. What I have compiled below is what I can confirm through my reliable twitter sources. Remember, this is all from tweets. (My work is released under Creative Commons (CC). So use it freely)

These are the important happenings that I can positively confirm from Tuesday, June 30 in Iran.

In Spanish:[/url] http://tinyurl.com/lqpplo

In French: http://tinyurl.com/moo7v2

In German: Green Brief #14 (June 30) - Why We Protest - IRAN

In Portuguese: http://tinyurl.com/knjfgh

In Italian: 30/06/2009: Report di fine giornata � Rivolta in Iran

1. 1. Today, people gathered at Vali Asr Square -the entire place was packed with Security Forces. Guards at Vanak Square were reportedly breaking car windows (those that honked their horns) which is a sign of the current protests. After security forces tried to arrest a young girl, some clashes broke out. (There was no further news about this event so confirmation is partial only.)

2. About 10 people were arrested at Tajrish Square after a group of people gathered there and chanted against the regime. Clashes were also reported at Satarkhan Street and Jomhori Street. The Independent Youth was also planning to organize a protest today in Tehran, however, reports were scarce and no confirmations could be obtained of the protests.

3. Today, more than 2,000 people gathered in front of the Islamic Republic Court in Urumieh asking about their detained relatives. So far, thousands have been rounded-up during protests, as well as during day and night-time raids all over the country. The number cannot be verified but it is said to be in the thousands. Mousavi and Karoubi have denied having sanctioned yesterday’s protests.

4. Mousavi has been reported by Iran Press TV to only be accepting of a new election. Mousavi's campaign today called the widespread arrests “immoral and illegal.” Furthermore, they said that the torture of detained civilians could produce anti-revolutionary sentiments amongst the people, thus damaging the Islamic Revolution severely. There were reports of a National Strike being organized and propagated on Mousavi’s website, but it cannot be confirmed through independent sources.

5. The Iranian government has meanwhile banned Mousavi’s ally, Abolfazl Fateh, from leaving the country. Abolfazl Fateh today said that elections were “a deeply political concept and militarizing them was uncommon, costly and worrisome.” He said that their campaign would only release word on GhalamNet. Meanwhile, Mousavi's website – GhalamNet – today denied sending new letters to the Guardian Council and rejected GC spokesperson's claims yesterday about receiving fresh Mousavi demands. On the cyber side, Ayatollah Montazeri's website has been taken down by the Ministry of Interior after he denounced the elections and called the government clamp-down on peaceful protesters against Islam.

6. Today, Khatami called for a change in the security presence on the streets of Iran, as well as for the formation of an independent commission to investigate complaints against the election. He added that, “force should not be used to make people do what one wants them to.” He added that the general trust of the Iranian people have been damaged by such tactics.

7. Karoubi announced in a letter to that Iranian people that he didn’t recognize the government’s legitimacy. Karoubi said that he entered the election for "change" and that hidden forces had blatantly changed the outcome. Karoubi objected to widespread arrests and asked officials for the immediate release of all detainees, as well as reparation of their reputation. He expressed readiness to work with individuals and groups because he perceived the republic, Iran and Islam to be in danger.

8. Ayatollah Taheri stated that Mousavi's rights had been violated. Taheri - the former Friday Imam of Isfahan - called Ahmadinejad's appointment illegal. He added that the old enemies of Imam [Khomeini] were sending the Islamic Republic to the museum with their actions [meaning it will be removed and become part of history if these actions don’t stop]. In response, a member of parliament today openly criticized Taheri and said that he was longer a senior cleric. After him, Pezeshkian – a reformist MP – told the parliament that God's enemy was he who stood against the people.

9. Ahmadinejad declared that an attempt at a 'soft overthrow' of the regime had failed. This comes after a partial recount of 10% of the vote by the Guardian Council which resulted in slightly more votes of Ahmadinejad!!! Mohammad Yazdi, a cleric and member of the Guardian Council, announced today that he could personally testify as to the impartiality of the election. He added that Mousavi will be barred from taking part in any future elections.

10. Tehran's notorious Evin prison is reportedly packed to capacity now and security forces are housing the detained in football stadiums. So many people are put in Tehran’s prisons that prisoners only have standing space. Reports say guards are preventing prisoners from sleeping by keeping them standing all night. Amnesty International today warned that the opposition leaders arrested in Iran were at risk of being tortured.

11. Maziar Bahari was forced to confess at a press conference that the protests were pre-planned and organized from abroad. Bahari is an adroit Iranian-Canadian Journalist and filmmaker, who has written for Newsweek and the New Statesman. Meanwhile,the torture of university students continues in the Ministry of Interior. Some Iranians traveling to Iran for the holidays have been taken in for questioning directly at the airport as they tried to leave the country. They were questioned because of updated information on their Facebook accounts.

12. There is still no news about Mojtaba Tehrani, an Etemad Melli correspondent. Three days have passed after his arrest. Another correspondent of Etemade Melli, Mahsa Amrabadi, who has been in detention for two weeks, has only been allowed to briefly call her family. Her whereabouts are unknown.

13. On the good side of things, Isfahan's judicial sources announced the freedom from detention of 280 people who'd been arrested during the protests. Hundreds more still remain in detention. But today, it was announced that the legal prosecution of detained prisoners has started. The man in charge, Saeed Mortazavi, has led many to believe that dozens will probably be sentenced to death as he is notorious in seeking and getting death sentences for dissidents in Iran.

14. Police today entered Tehran University's dorms at the request of the president of the university, reportedly. However, the president, Mr. Kohkan, later denied he had asked them to do so. Amir Hossein Shemshadi, in charge of Mousavi's youth campaign, contacted his parents from inside Evin today and told them he would not be freed anytime soon

15. The Daily Khabar was stopped from printing its daily paper for the fourth time this week. Tehran public prosecutor and Cultural Ministry officials also stopped the publication of Etemade Melli newspaper today following its plans to publish a letter by Karoubi. Pressured by security forces, the session of the Journalists Union of Iran was also canceled. The sessions were to be focused on detained journalists.

16. The chants of Allah o Akbar continued tonight even though Basijis have threatened people with arrests and destruction of property if they continue to do so. One chanter has already been killed in the past days.

** Thank you all for translating! We still need more people with translations if they’re willing to do so. Email me if you are willing to help and if you are not asked to help, it still doesn’t mean you’re not AWESOME! You can still publish the translations on your blogs. @josh_612 and @gfanhoto please send me the link to your German and Portuguese translations at dbosca@gmail.com and anyone else who's done another language! Everyone else, who wants to be part of this, please let me know. A hearty thanks to everyone and a special thanks to Sahar joon for proof-reading!

Read this if you want to help or get help!

Helpers:

A. We currently are trying to get the Brief out in as many languages as possible. If you can translate the brief for us in a language other than English, Italian and Hebrew, please let us know. It comes out every day so it'll be an every day thing - who knows for how long - so it's for the long haul. But if you can even do a summary, it will be great!

B. You could retweet this link and let more people know about what’s going in Iran.

C. The government in Iran is still increasing internet filtering and throttling in an attempt to silence their people. Anonymous info shows that many in Iran are looking for proxy and Tor information in Tehran and all around the country. Please donate your bandwidth to help bring down the Iran Curtain. Here are links on how to help and get help on this:

English:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor and the Iranian Election - Bring down the Iran Curtain | Ian's Brain

Farsi:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor: ?????? Tor

Help us set up more bridges on Tor here: Torrents list � Rivolta in Iran
  2. spaz926 Member

Thank You for the information.
  3. Thanks for the update!

As the days go by and these wonderful green Briefs continue,
    Let us not forget one of the reasons we are here doing this.

Armen Chakmakian has a haunting composition in memory of Neda:

4. sp4rrowh4wk Member

thank you again, NiteOwl
  5. Thanks

Thank you again for the updates. Your work appreciated and eagerly awaited every night.

I continue to collect and post links to News Items, Videos, iReports and Political cartoons. I have added a section for photograph links. This can be found at Iran News This is my contribution to the cause.

Whozits
  6. unscannable Member

Translations?

Which translations do you have/need? I know a fair few people in a fair few countries who may be willing to help.
  7. appreciate it!
  8. skollie-IRAN Member

Thank you Night Owl.

I find the following so disturbing and inhumane. I will continue to keep these detained people in my prayers.

9. CurtMonash Member

Chilling stuff. :(

And brilliantly helpful.

Typo note: You surely meant NO longer in #8.

Style note: It might be helpful to clarify WHICH Khatami you are referring to. ;)
  10. Is there any footage or media of Evin prison? I'm tired of the news reporting that "only some 20 people died" when thousands are imprisoned, and that would be some pretty damning evidence.

Keep up the good work.
  11. Ray Murphy Member

Can we get Google geographic coordinates for any prisons and also the football stadium where prisoners are being held? It's possible that Google will update the images quicker than normal.
  12. angie0972 Member

for night owl

You have no idea how important your briefs are to me. you are the one person i rely on for the most truthful account of the days happenings. this is personal for me, i trust what you say to be as true as it can be.Thank you so very much. ( no smiles today, maybe tomorrow)
  13. Thank you

I am so glad to be able to find news of what is happening in Iran! I keep waiting to see something on national coverage, but there is little information, especially since M. Jackson's death.
    I have heard enough of the MJ death,

IRAN is news worthy, and I thank you for the efforts!
  14. Thank you so much for your info...ALL Iranian salute you for your great cause. Thank you.
  15. Thank you NiteOwl,

I follow your report and I appreciate your efforts. How about Sole Kahrizak? Have you heard about it? Do you have any news? Any suggestion to help young people there?

Badtarin chizaro az unja mishnavim, rahi nist az sazman ya anjomani komak bekhaid?
  16. Guardian Council closes file on Iran election

Guardian Council closes file on Iran election
  17. Thank you. I really appreciation

Keep up the good work. One day all of your work will pay off once Iran becomes free again.

Thanks
  18. tt23 Member

To those who say 'its over' - the 1979 revolution took a year to unfold. These things take time. Be patient & helpful.

NiteOwl - thank you very much for your patient and diligent work.

19. you can't compare the the 1979 revolution to now, they are all part of the same revolution. It is just about the elections.
  20. Vee Member

Thank you once again :)
  21. Thank you once again Nite Owl for keeping us updated on all that is occuring.
    Thank you Arem chakmakian for the hauntingly beautiful composition for Neda!
    God Bless the brave Iranian people, god bless all those who are helping in the battle for freedom... <3

A
  22. Cornered Hardliners Scuppered Deal With Mousavi

Cornered Hardliners Scuppered Deal With Mousavi

Ahmadinejad Victory Announced to Halt Compromise

By Fintan Dunne - TUESDAY, JUNE 30, 2009
    http://fintandunne.blogspot.com/2009/06/cornered-hardliners-scuppered-deal-with.html

The claimed victory of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the presidential election is built on sand and hides a deep split in the Iranian establishment.

That's the hidden tale behind a most curious mystery surrounding the official announcement by Irans electoral Guardian Council of a presidential election victory by Ahmadinejad.

Just hours earlier the very same electoral body had extended by five days the period for investigation of voting anomalies, and had welcomed proposals by Mir-Hossein Mousavi as "positive." That decision not only indicated a compromise deal on the election outcome, but it should have postponed any official confirmation of a victor.

So why the sudden turnaround? Does it hint at a spit in the government?

Now You See It, Now You Don't!

Early on Monday, 29th of January the New York Times reported the extension by Iranian authorities of the deadline for examining voting irregularities. The web URL of that NYT story was this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/world/middleeast/30iran.html?_r=1&hp

But if you go there now, you will not find that article. You will find only an article about the Guardian Council's confirmation of Ahmadinejad's 'victory'.

So how do you know the previous article even existed? Maybe I'm simply making this up and it never happened. Well, because we have a record of it's existence.

The exciting development was noticed by bloggers. In the Huffington Post, the National Editor, Nico Pitney was following Iran developments closely. Early on Monday 29th June he reported:

Another blogger had spotted that NY Times article too, and reprinted the key portion. It bears reading because it makes clear that just hours before Ahmadinejad was confirmed it looked like a deal with Mousavi had been achieved and was in full train:

I had also been following events closely, and had blogged about it:

After reading the NY Times article, I found the source of the story on the Iranian state website, PressTV.ir. I have a browser history record of the webpage which carried the story. This one:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=99364&sectionid=351020101

But if you go there now, you will not find the article that prompted the NY Times and bloggers to cover the development. You will find only an article about the Guardian Council's confirmation of a Ahmadinejad win.

So, was there a deal in the making with Mousavi? The previous week, it seemed so. PressTV had reported:

In their article on the certification of Ahmadinejad as victor, the NY Times noted:

My interpetation of these events is that there was indeed a momentum for a deal with Mousavi. And that deal had reached the point where the electoral Guardian Council was making the announcement of an extension of the period for examination of irregularities. So the deal had reached the point where its progress was reported by official state media.

It was that development which spurred the cornered hardliners to quash the momentum in a hurry by announcing an Ahmadinejad victory.

The presidency of Ahmadinejad is clearly built on sand. And sands shift.

As I reported on Monday 29th June, after conversing with Iranian political analyst, Professor Muhammad Sahimi:

The progressive forces in Iran, within and without the government, though sidelined by this latest preemptive move by the hardliners, are still working assiduously behind the scenes to achieve a proper resolution of the crisis.

POSTED BY FINTANDUNNE AT 8:59 PM
    http://fintandunne.blogspot.com/2009/06/cornered-hardliners-scuppered-deal-with.html

23. You claim you are an independent journalist, how comes?
  24. Makes me sick, wish I could do more. Thank you guys...
  25. rupert-IRAN Member

Here are some rough “google auto translate” versions.

No doubt picky peeps will spot too many errors, well they can correct to their precision!

Arabic Google Translate

Plus with menu on top of page choose the language of your choice!
  26. wall johntra

many thanks, as always
  27. Lara Member

To echo an earlier post, chilling.

Thank you for doing this, Josh. I agree it is really important to get these Green Briefs out in other languages. I wish I could help but unfortunately the only other language I know is classical Latin (not useful in this case.).
  28. leo-IRAN Member

29. Thank you for this excellent piece of investigative work and for keeping records of what really happened. Your work gives one hope that things are still going on beneath the surface and that the people's voice will be heard.

Thank you again Nite Owl for your insightful brief, so grateful for all of your work. Thanks to the people doing the translations.
  30. Nichol Member

Mail -> Blog interface for Iran stories

To begin: thanks for those great briefs! They really clean up the 'fog of war' a bit. Indeed partly better than the 'real' news. I was wondering: is there a reason why we hear so little from outside Teheran? Are all twitterers in Teheran only?

----- ok, now to flog my idea: email>blog Letters from Iran to the World

2 or 3 green briefs ago I mentioned my idea of making an interface where Iranians can 'simply' email their story to be blogged automatically. So this is a bit like twitter, but for a real story longer than 140 characters.

I tried to set the thing up safely so it is anonymous, and checked that no email headers end up anywhere. Please check out Letters from Iran to the World and add some comments to my startup-posts if you have ideas to improve.

.. but my real question is now: how do I get 'real' stories from Iran? I'm a bit afraid of publicizing too widely and then getting spammed out of existence, like the anonymous-tweet idea. At least this all comes through a gmail account, so there is already a normal spam filter.

Till now I've tried to discreetly ask tweeps that seem in/near Iran, and got a number of RT's, but no stories yet.
  31. NiteOwl Member

Ya never know. Maybe the Roman Curia wants to read it. ;)
  32. NiteOwl Member

I'll put this up with our admins and see what we can do. :))

Thank you for your hard work!
  33. Thanks for the update

Appreciate all the work you are doing for us to provide this information

My heart simply aches when I hear of all the terrible injustices that have been done

I hope that this will be resolved as peacefully as possible however sadly there are a few who do not share this view

May god bless us all

Philip J Fry
    Deliver Boy
    NYC Year 3000
  34. Thanks

Thank you for your hard work. This has been a very useful site. Thank you for translating it into English. It is so hard to get news.
  35. Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot for these reports! It's great information!
    Iranians will manage to break dictatorship. I'm sure about that!
    My thoughts are allways with you!
    Lots of greetings from Germany,
    Ingo
  36. What Next for Iran? - Audio Interview: Prof. Scott Lucas

[SIZE=&quot;1&quot;]WEDNESDAY, JULY 1, 2009[/SIZE]

[SIZE=&quot;3&quot;]Audio Interview: Prof. Scott Lucas
    Blood or Politics: What Next for Iran?[/SIZE]

Despite the official certification of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as the victor in Irans presidential election, and despite the relative calm on the streets of Tehran, the country is still seething.

Rumours abound of moves by different factions, and the opposition is trying to consolidate a clerical and political platform to take a stand against the government.

The main opposition leader, Mir-Hossein Mousavi has now called on his Facebook page for a general strike. Protesters who took to the streets to shed blood for democratic principles are still afire with a zeal for reform.

So what next for Iran? Will political pragmatism win out over factionalism? Or will arrests, detentions and street clashes dominate the weeks ahead. Professor Scott Lucas of Birmingham University discusses the likely directions for Iran with Fintan Dunne.

Interview Guest:
    Professor Scott Lucas
    LISTEN: Mp3 Audio mp3a.gif
    http://fintandunne.com/audio/ScottLucas-FintanDunne09-07-01.mp3

http://fintandunne.blogspot.com/2009/07/audio-interview-prof-scott-lucas.html
    [SIZE=&quot;1&quot;]POSTED BY FINTANDUNNE AT 7:46 AM[/SIZE]