Customize

Halp need tor relay for dummies

Discussion in 'Keeping Your Anonymity In Iran' started by Unregistered, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Hey guise, here's the thing. I use tor, and know how to do enough to maintain anonymous shit when I want to...but I want to set up either a bridge or a relay and I follow the directions in the windows in TOR and even though the TEST button comes back FINE...I am getting messages and can see that I have no traffic in our out

WARNING YOUR SERVER HAS NOT MANAGED TO CONFIRM THAT its DIRPORT is REACHABLE

WARNING YOUR SERVER HAS NOT MANAGED TO CONFIRM THAT its ORPORT is REACHABLE

I realize this means I need to do something with my router and my firewalls.

What I need for the pros to do is write a #%*U$^ how to open the router/firewall holes

FOR DUMMIES...srsly the how to's that I find are written so far above my head my brain explodes.

How about a well versed ANON who knows how to talk down to the little people writing a nice, step by step (pictures helpful) for those of us with TONS of bandwidth to share?

I am willing to leave mine running at full bore all night for the Iranians and only slow it down during the day when I need to work...GUISE we could get SO many more people on board here.

I already use firefox/tor button but have noticed since change to VISTA tor button is unreliable...I have a nice step by step on how to fix that and I can follow it (no time yet)

SO, PLEASE LOOK UP at my plaintive WALL OF TEXT..

HALP!
  2. echo-IRAN Member

There are some guides around for dealing with opening ports for firewalls. I'll repost the link if I see it. TOR button can be replaced by any other proxy switching addons. I use FoxyProxy - forget about the fancy things, just enter localhost for host and the TOR port, default 9050. Right click to select proxy on status bar. It's enough for you to try all the proxies in here.

This link someone posted has many firewalls, and then applications other than TOR. But they are similar. torproject.org itself has instructions.
    http://portforward.com/

TOR button should depend on FF version but independent of OS in theory. Replacement include Switchproxy, Foxyproxy etc. Type firefox addon into your google search box, pick the first link, and search for foxyproxy or just proxy. They all come with instructions somewhere.
  3. SEE WUT I MEAN...I didn't understand a #(%&)$%8 word you just said. WTF is local host...and why haven't any of you geniuses figured out a way to configure this so it really is DUMMY proof? LOL
  4. ^ thanks, now that I can understand!
  5. Dir Port

I'm not new to port forwarding, and I have been getting the DirPort not reachable error since day one. Can anyone provide some details on whether the Bridge will be fully functional without a reachable DirPort? I've changed ports a couple times and tried forwarding in router and in machine, and I've triple checked my variables in the torrc file.

Only relevant post I can find via Google is here:

Re: DIR-Port not reachable... (solved)

Problem is, I'm running the bridge from a Mac Mini, so the fix in not applicable.

Thanks