Customize

Happy Norooz to All, the Persian New Year at the spring vernal equinox

Discussion in 'News And Current Events' started by iraniam, Mar 18, 2016.

1. iraniam Member

• Like Like x 4
  2. amaX Member

I hope this google translation is correct, my friend:

نوروزتان مبارک
    • Like Like x 1
  3. iraniam Member

It is indeed, Thank You.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Every year at this time I want to be there-eating.
    Happy New Year!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. moarxenu Member

On Now Ruz I would like to eat a ton of delicious Albalu Polow.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. iraniam Member

During the Sassanid time, preparations began at least 25 days before Norooz. Twelve pillars of mud bricks, each dedicated to one month of the year, were erected in the royal court. Various vegetable seeds -- wheat, barley, lentils, beans, and others -- were sown on top of the pillars. They grew into luxurious greens by the New Year Day. The great king held his public audience and the High Priest of the empire was the first to greet him. Government officials followed next. Each person offered a gift and received a present. The audience lasted for five days, each day for the people of a certain profession. Then on the sixth day, called the Greater Norooz, the king held his special audience. He received members of the Royal family and courtiers. Also a general amnesty was declared for convicts of minor crimes. The pillars were removed on the 16th day and the festival came to a close. The occasion was celebrated, on a lower level, by all peoples throughout the empire.

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Disambiguation Global Moderator

I take it there will be no general amnesty this year :(
  8. iraniam Member

None what so ever. Only 8 Political prisoners got lucky to get a week off to see their families this year. Very sad indeed.