Customize

HARPOONS NOW! Aust. PM and Opposition Leader

Discussion in 'Senator Xenophon And Scientology' started by TinyDancer, Nov 17, 2009.

1. TinyDancer Member

HARPOONS NOW! Aust. PM and Opposition Leader

The Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, has just gone public expressing his "concern".

Please email Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull to express support for an inquiry into the CoS.

Email your Prime Minister | Prime Minister of Australia

Malcolm.Turnbull.MP@aph.gov.au

Australian PM 'concerned' about Scientology | The Australian

NB. The High Court determined that Scientology was a religion. Surely that's not the only criterion for tax exempt status. Can an organisation not become ineligible by its criminal conduct?
  2. Belladonna Member

3. TinyDancer Member

Re: HARPOONS NOW! Aust. PM and Opposition Leader

International emails are also sought.
  4. Anonxmous Member

From the 1983 finding, via Scientology in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it sounds like it would take a law change to get the status revoked - but a Senate investigation would seem to be the perfect way to set about getting as much.

(and before anyone harps on about how it's not a religion - what matters here is not your or my definition of what defines a 'religion', but whatever definition exisits in australian law)
  5. theLastAnon Member

belladonna, i'm just gonna follow you around all night and post comments about your links. :)

Other MP's are now being asked about Scientology due to Xenuphon's speech. This will only continue. Here are two great comments about the anti-psychiatry position of the church and tax-exmption .

6. Consensus Member

I don't think we should be pressing for the removal of tax exempt status (well, go for it - but...); we should be pressing for a full criminal investigation, with charges filed (if warranted - and I'm confident they will be).

Does Australia have anything equivalent to the US's RICO act?

Anyhow, the PM is right to say that the question of whether Scientology should have tax exempt status was decided in the courts decades ago. That doesn't mean the question can't be revisited, but I'm not at all familiar with the legal process by which this would be done.

Here's how an optimist might read his comments: "I don't know about tax exempt status, but those are some serious allegations. If true, they merit a criminal case. And I support an investigation to determine the truth of these allegations.'

Here's a pessimists' take: "Oh, that's cute. They want to make scientology an issue. Well, I'll just cite the precedent from years ago, and then pay lip service like i'm supposed to.'
  7. TinyDancer Member

The High Court interprets the tax laws written by Parliament. Parliament can amend those laws.
  8. Anonxmous Member

Xenophon has been pretty clear (somewhere) that he sees this as two-pronged.

The letters from the ex's will go straight to the police for criminal investigation of the very serious crimes alledged, and there should be a Senate inquiry to look at the social and community issues, notablyincluding taxation.

That sounds like a sound strategy, and I think we should back that up, rather that push for a over b (or b over a).
  9. TinyDancer Member

What he said ^^^.
  10. ZeLyt Member

For the first time, I'm not too worried that a politician is gonna mess this up. Not that he doesn't need help, but still. It seems he's got this.
  11. Consensus Member

That makes sense. I'm on board for this.

And really, a win either way (criminal conviction or loss of tax exemption) would be a HUGE crack in scientology's foundations. Might as well double our odds with two prongs. I just don't want the focus to go strictly to tax exempt status.
  12. Belladonna Member

Biggest big-wig I've pooned so far. Next up, I get the pope on the phone.
  13. EyeOnSci Member

Yes, both with specific examples cited and the general summary. Pure marcabian win in the making.

Woot!!!!!one!!1111
  14. Re: HARPOONS NOW! Aust. PM and Opposition Leader

I'm hoping for prolonged, in-depth criminal investigations by police, while at the same time, an in-depth and noisy investigation by the Senate into scientology's tax exemption.
  15. anon2487 Member

Well I don't know why I can't post Anon in the situation room, but whatever.

Fired off Larry Brennan's affidavit with a brief synopsis as it pertains to Australia, the tax exempt status, and Scientology's cynical abuse of the privileges granted to religious groups.

Also forwarded the same to Senator X earlier.

If anyone involved has a more direct connection to any of these individuals, please could you ensure that they get to see the affidavit, as I'm guessing their public inboxes are be deluged. They can contact Larry Brennan at "larrybren 12345 @ aol.com" [remove the spaces].

[I'm being slightly cheeky in offering up the above info in this manner, as I've not heard back from Larry as yet, but he has in the past given me specific permission to forward his contact details to relevant individuals and organisations. So I'm hoping it's cool under the circumstances.]
  16. Re: HARPOONS NOW! Aust. PM and Opposition Leader

australiaecon4x.jpg
  17. Re: HARPOONS NOW! Aust. PM and Opposition Leader

Many things are happening in rapid sucession. Too hard to tell if this is some sort of critical mass. But, this is more good news for critics of scientology. Is this Senator respected within the Australian political scene?
  18. amaX Member

'pooned!
  19. Robocat Member

I love this thread. <3
  20. XenuPhobic Member

DONE!!! It's the freaking Prime Minister people.

For all you ignorant redneck Americans (like myself) that's the Aussie equivalent of President Obama. HE IS ASKING FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

[IMG]
  21. Re: HARPOONS NOW! Aust. PM and Opposition Leader

Hmmmm, an appropriately political response from the Prime Minister. I wonder whether he is simply skirting the issue in plans to ignore it or whether he is keeping the door open to run with this if he thinks it will benefit him politically. Either way, can't hurt to send letters urging him to support investigation.
  22. Re: HARPOONS NOW! Aust. PM and Opposition Leader

Fuck. You bastard!

Now I'll have to go buy a Australian flag and pole, on top of the French, American, Nevadan and Anonymous flags I already own.
  23. Robocat Member

Yes, let us do it. Now.
  24. Timmibal Member

He's an independent, so he's not obligated to tow the party line. His wild card status has often been reported on in news media as swinging the balance either for or against parliamentary action in the past. (IE, the financial stimulus package here in oz.)

He's by no means a powerhouse, but major parties have frequently sought his support in past matters in the senate.

This will be taken seriously, and from what I've seen in the past, Sen. Xenophon is not one to back down once he's taken something up.
  25. anon2487 Member

Right.

Not an Aussie, but to my mind there're two types of letters worth writing "to the PM:"

As you stated: (a) support. Politicians are fickle creatures, but like the Scilons they lurve their stats. Letters on any kind of burning issue are generally gonna be counted, so that they have an approximate idea of how much voter support exists.

(b) Letters addressed to the PM, but in reality aimed at aides and advisors: i.e. concise, referenced ammunition and information that they can readily import into any brief if the issue gains traction.
  26. XenuPhobic Member

Upstat?
  27. anon2487 Member

Oh yeah baby!
  28. _You_ Member

Thanks to whoever switched the anon posting back on.
  29. _You_ Member

test
  30. _You_ Member

is this now the anonymous poster. oh plz oh plz.
  31. _You_ Member

HAHA IT IS. Awesome.
  32. BigBeard Member

Someone needs to give Mr. Rudd a clue.

This isn't about whether $cientology is a religion or not. It's about the ACTIONS TAKEN by, or at the direction of, the official organization of that religion against members and critics that bring into question it's tax exempt status.

BigBeard
  33. Dylar Member

This here aussie can be expecting a poon in the mail from me tomorrow.

Also in b4 swat.
  34. _You_ Member

Well ya know, I kind of agree with you, but by the same token, it's now on record that Scientology's religious cloaking was specifically implemented to allow some of the abusive policies that are at the heart of a number of these complaints.

Either way, none of us are in as good a position as they are to judge the political and practical realities they'll be dealing with. So I say, put ALL relevant material in their direction.
  35. _You_ Member

Fully support this poon call and encourage other commonwealth nations to contact the Australian Parliament to support Xenophon's efforts.

Canadian ammo can include info on Operation Snow White

R. v. Church of Scientology of Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

British ammo can include denial as a charity because they couldn't prove it would benefit the community morally or spiritually

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Library/registration/pdfs/cosfulldoc.pdf

Doesn't hurt to try and doesn't take a lot of time, so fucking do eet.
  36. _You_ Member

Dont think that Australian politicians are cleanskins. They are just as corrupt as any others in the world and will accept 'gifts' from the likes of scientology.
    An inquiry is a good thing, however its the result from the inquiry that more important.
    What Australia needs is a referendum on whether or not scientology should be outlawed.
    This can be done as the was a similar referendum regarding the communist party in the 60s.
    This issue can be forced by global overkill such as demonstrations at Australian embassies and consulates around the world in order to bring about a referendum and to keep the spotlight on scientology.
    If wins such as Xenophons speech are taken for granted it is guaranteed that the scis will escape the fatal blow that always seems coming and survive once again.
  37. Hombre Moderator Skandinaviska

Australianons, what dox have been sent where?

I've already been sending a few dox and general support to xenophon and whatever the clueless' guys name was.

If we're gonna be effective in mass-pooning, we need to make sure we don't spam up their inboxes with the same shit.
  38. _You_ Member

Harpoons deployed!
  39. themadhair Member

Harpoons away. Reminded them of the Anderson report and that those same findings ring true today.
  40. _You_ Member

Re: the Anderson report, if you reference it (and you support the view that follows), please can you make it clear that whilst the findings are as true now as they were then, that you don't support an outright ban.

The reason I say this, is that I think it plays into Scientology's hands: allowing them to much more readily cast their critics as bigoted extremists.

[I also don't believe that a ban is an effective solution to "dismantling the 'Church' in it's present form," but that's another matter. Forcing them to comply with the law (both in spirit and in fact), and seeing their tax exempt status removed would be an entirely different matter. Ultimately far more damaging for the organisation too.]