Customize

Has Leah Remini ‘spoken out’ enough to be included in the "Former Members who spoke out" list?

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by Incredulicide, Jul 29, 2013.

?

Has Leah Remini spoken out enough to be added to the "Former Members who spoke out" list?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2013.
Yes, keep her on. 9 vote(s) 37.5%
No, take her off. 15 vote(s) 62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You do have a point, Missfit, butt...

These are the weaseliest of weasel words, chosen with some deliberation, for reasons that are not clear.

This is not just any old cult - it is a criminal organisation that coerces others to commit crimes for its benefit. It is a group who have infiltrated the governments of several countries illegally, and it is guilty of involvement in multiple fraudulent schemes.

Above all, it enforces a mafia-like omerta on its membership, so that they cannot speak out for fear of reprisals.

The celebrity members appear willfully blind to all this - no doubt because they perceive some personal benefit out of it - while being in the privileged position of having the money and the freedom that COS staff could never hope to enjoy.

Someone who was in as long as Leah Remini has to know about some of the criminality. And you know that not speaking up about criminal acts is itself a criminal omission for which we have a right to expect that those involved will be punished.

So, Leah should certainly be singing like a canary and naming names, but we can wait a bit, I suppose.

As for scientologists being both victims and perps, I would say they are in a similar position to child-molesters who were themselves molested as children. Our sympathy for the harm done to them must be balanced by the need to protect the rest of us from their destructive, harmful behaviour.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Random guy Member

The strength of the Great List is the rigour under which it has been constructed. Diluting those principles for adding a celebrity is tempting in the short run, but will ultimately serve to undermine the credibility of all the other work that has been put into it, and it's usefulness in PR.
    • Like Like x 7
  3. anoninoob Member

4. Anonymous Member

^ From the article is this telling statement: "....without uttering the word "Scientology" a single time."
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Incredulicide Member

Other names that have already been added to the list because they spoke out as a direct result of Leah Remini leaving, most on her facebook page:
    • Mary Culp
    • Russell Welday
    • Lorraine O'Brien, AKA Lorrie O'Brein
    • Mary Miller
    • Nancy Branigan
    • Michelle Visage
    • Lisa Kellogg
    Edit: Mary Miller wasn't added due to us not being sure the name in completions is the one that congratulated Leah.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Kilia Member

My view is that Leah has said enough about her CoS defection to warrant her being on the list. She has done more to speak out against it than any other member at this time. She is also helping those who are seeking to do the same. That's my vote and I'm sticking to it!
  7. Anonymous Member

If I handed a current sci a list of her quotes, as they stand, it would have no strength. If we had a list of people who only said similarly whitewashed non-substantive shit it would have no impact.

Don't dilute the list with nonspeak shit. She hasn't spoken out, nor once articulated anything to cast doubt on the cult. Airy-fairly vague bollocks isn't speaking out.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. RightOn Member

please list those quotes here where she mentions Scientology or the word church in ANY of them
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

I remember being in conversation with a Scientologist who is now out. The conversation spanned over a year (they were still in at this time), and it was interesting to observe what bits of evidence would stick and have an effect. Stuff about DM had no impact whatsoever, Paul Haggis hit a bit, etc.

There were two bits of evidence that most hit home above others. The first was an OT3 promo vid made by AOSH Europe (which strongly supported critic’s claims regarding OT3). The second was the big list, which had just crossed the one thousand mark at the time.

What stuck was that this person could click on almost any link and find a story, find speaking out, find experiences they could relate to, find someone giving credence to their doubts.

The case at hand does not do that.
    • Like Like x 10
  10. Anonymous Member

11. blownforgood Member

Later this week she can get on the list.
    • Like Like x 15
  12. TrevAnon Member

BRB popcorn!
  13. Kilia Member

I'm :) to hear that.
  14. JohnnyRUClear Member

Juicy gossip is OM NOM NOM
  15. RightOn Member

YES!!!!
    tease me please me
    thanks Mark. <--- one who also voted no until she speaks out BTW
  16. wolfbane Member

Good! Thx for that. And I got my hat dusted off and on standby:
    asshat.jpg?height=160&amp;width=160.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Incredulicide Member

LOL damn I knew I shoulda made this poll last a week instead of 48 hours :cool:
  18. RightOn Member

lol
    its all good
  19. Anonymous Member

You are such a big tease.

I love it when you do that.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. TrevAnon Member

With keeping her silence Leah has been trolling us all.

Real hard, and I love her for that. :)

Prove me wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. JohnnyRUClear Member

22. Anonymous Member

23. Anonymous Member

The original quote from "in touch" looks like it's actually a misquote, maybe it was one of their reporters eavesdropping on the "People" interview. Here's the comparison with the relevant part bolded":

intouchweekly.com - "I'm not about the family being broken up," Leah adds. "And I'm not about to shut up!"
    people.com - "I thought about the family being broken up for some other cause, and I'm not about to shut up."
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Enturbulette Member

I don't know, to me its pretty clear. Perhaps because I dwelt in Hollywood for a couple of decades. I guess people don't take into account how these celebrity's lives are organized. Basically they are CEO's of their own business with a LOT of people on their payroll, people that they like and have personal relationships with, people who depend on them for their weekly salary and who they often feel quite responsible for. The staff of a celebrity is its extended family, based on a major level of trust - manager, agent, lawyer, accountant, personal trainer, chef, hairdressers, stylists, make up, household staff, personal assistant, PR rep, it goes on and on. They have spent years building a "brand" that every single person on their staff wants to protect with every instinct of their guts and body. It is their income, their very livelihood. The most important of them are fully hooked into the celebrity system - agents, managers, lawyers. There is no way these people are going to encourage their cashcow to put themselves out on a limb publicly in any way. They will encourage safe talk, just enough to get some interviews, not enough to invite lawsuits, damage or anything too negative or weird for a middle of the road television audience, in Remini's case.

No celebrity wants to be name-associated with going on some kind of major "crusade", normally. Anything wacky or weird is shunned as not good for the "brand". This is not like being "for" animal rights or a political candidate. Everyone this celebrity is in contact with from their manager, lawyer and publicist to their personal trainer or hairdresser will tell them things like,
    "you've done so much, you've sacrificed so much" "people get the main message, you don't have to be specific" "hey, why not talk about something fun for awhile now, people get bored with preaching" and things like "you don't want to appear to be bashing religion, after all", "too much stress on negativity will be toxic for your body" etc...The people surrounding a celeb have usually single-mindedly scratched their way into that position and couldn't give a flying fig about cults, or victims or anything else but what restaurant they can get into and what cash they can spend, their careers, clothes, cars, sexcapades, friends and vacations. That's it.

I am not saying this excuses a celebrity in any way. I just don't understand the mystification of activists here. It is very simple really - real, moneymaking bona fide celebs AREN'T Anons, they are in fact the exact opposite, and they can never put on a mask. If they are a bankable star, they behave fairly carefully almost all the time, and they expect to be misunderstood a lot of the time. They well know that the public may turn on them in an instant, and in surprising ways, and so does their paid staff. To expect them to take on an activist role is to invite disappointment. Celebs are neither particularly moral, well-informed or selfless. Entirely the opposite in fact in almost every case.

What Remini has done so far is pretty ground breaking, as she is arguably higher profile with the general public than almost anyone who has left the cult and given any reason or details at all, even if it was through her sister. I don't think any working celeb has questioned Miscavage and raised the questions she has. Who in the world knew anything at all about Shelly Miscavage before last month except the few thousands who post on these kind of boards?

So to answer the thread - I think she actually has "spoken out" pretty stridently for her position, however, I would vote no anyway just to create encouragement for her to go further. Nothing wrong with encouragement in that direction. As time rolls on, and she gets a clearer head and there are no major ramifications to her career (we'll see if Scientology can pull some real strings in Hollywood now) she'll speak more about it if her handlers and her believe it will enhance her "firebrand" image, which they may well do. For now, leave her off the list and hope for the best, but don't be too surprised if she "puts it all behind her" soon and starts publicizing a new project.
    • Like Like x 12
  25. RolandRB Member

It's more "saying something" than "speaking out".
    • Like Like x 3
  26. JohnnyRUClear Member

I like the cut of your jib. What you said makes sense to me and I hope she does start feeling okay to speak out more firmly. Marc "Big Tease" Headley seems to indicate that she will, soon.
    • Like Like x 4
  27. Enturbulette Member

Thanks, sailor. ; )
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Incredulicide Member

2 hours left to vote, it's currently:
    Yes, keep her on: 9 votes
    No, take her off: 14 votes

Given the above revelation about the misquote, which is what influenced me to add her, I'm happy to remove her however temporarily from the list (or permanently, who knows? Evidently BFG does!) until she speaks out for real.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. RightOn Member

welp like I suggested before.
    Maybe someone can tweet her (I don't tweet) and ask her if she wants to be added to the Big List of Scientologists who left and spoke out and send her a link?
    Besides she should see it anyways if she hasn't already.
    Worth a shot. What do you have to lose?
    I am sure this Brooklyn babe will come forward eventually if she said "she won't shut up".
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Anonymous Member

BFG seems to think it will happen soon. Be patient, I think you'll have your statement.
  31. RightOn Member

"Besides she should see it anyways if she hasn't already."
  32. Isn't the requirement for appearance on the Big List for the ex merely to say, "I am not/no longer a Scientologist"? Or has it been bumped up to, "Let me see a motherfucking Clear"? ;)
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  33. Anonymous Member

@LeahRemini OHAI, we had a poll about including you on the list of over 2100 former CoS members who spoke out. Result: 15 to 9 against. Soz!
  34. Anonymous Member

@LeahRemini BTW, your sister is on the list because, like, you know, she really did speak out. Hugz!
  35. Anonymous Member

This came out 1 hour before the poll closed: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/print/595708
    Paul Haggis Pens Open Letter Praising Leah Remini's 'Brave' Break With Scientology

6:00 AM PDT 7/31/2013 by Paul Haggis
    I didn’t say anything at the time for a number of reasons. I am in Europe and have been working here for the last year and a half, and, disregarding a few friendly e-mails and a couple of tweets, Leah and I haven’t spoken in quite a while. What I knew about Leah is that she was one of two Scientologists who had refused to “disconnect” from me and certainly the only high-profile one when I decided to quit the organization in August 2009. I also thought any comment would be premature and self-serving.

Leah and I were always friendly but never close friends. Despite this, she called me as soon as she heard about my letter of resignation. Unlike the rest of my former friends, she expressed real sadness that I was leaving and concern for me and my family. A few months later, we ran into each other at a school fair. I kept my distance for fear of putting her in an awkward position, but Leah had no such fear. She walked up, asked me why I was being weird and told me she would always be my friend and would never “disconnect” from me. Then she dragged me over and introduced me to her family. Soon after that, I moved to New York, and our paths just didn’t cross, but I was deeply touched by her gesture and genuine concern.
    So all I could have said at the time was that, whether it was true Leah had resigned, she had always been a class act and a lovely human being -- but that wasn’t news. Millions of people know that; her character shines through everything she does.

In the last few days, I read some things that really disturbed me. First was the way Leah was being attacked by her celebrity “friends,” who were disparaging her character. [Editor’s note: After actress Kirstie Alley tweeted “the sweetest poison is often served with a smile,” it was widely interpreted as referring to Remini. Alley vigorously has denied that and says she does not criticize anyone’s religious beliefs.] Having witnessed Scientology’s smear tactics, I can imagine how this was being orchestrated, but I was still shocked to see how quickly those friends -- some of whom had known Leah for 20 or 30 years -- jumped on the “malign Leah” campaign, and with such apparent glee. I assumed Scientology’s next step would be to try and plant disparaging stories about her with less-informed journalists and bloggers. And if others who have made noisy exits from the church are to be believed, Scientology would also use their Office of Special Affairs employees to attack Leah indirectly, posting negative comments about her shows and career and abilities under myriad false names, pretending to be disappointed fans or whatever. None of that is new.
    The next thing I learned made me feel terrible. Leah got in trouble because of me, because when I was “declared” a “Suppressive Person” and shunned, she came to my defense -- without me ever knowing it. She had shouting matches with Tommy Davis, then the church spokesman, who had come to try and keep her quiet. The fact that she fought within the system so resolutely for so long, never making her feelings public, is a testament to how much she believed in the basic goodness of her friends and the institution. Finally, according to what I read, she was turned in by a celebrity friend who had noticed one of our few innocuous tweets.

I can’t express how much I admire Leah. Her parents, family and close friends were almost all Scientologists; the stakes for her were so much higher than for me. Her decision to leave was so much braver.
    Having been consumed with my movie, I only learned much of what I have written here in the last few days. I also have to confess to not paying that much attention to news about Scientology. In this case, I should have. I finally called Leah during the last week of July. Her answering service didn’t recognize my number, so it took a while to get through. It was good to hear her voice and great to hear her laugh -- though it was easy to tell she had been terribly hurt and shaken by the events of the last weeks.
    That said, Leah is an incredibly strong woman and will get through this with the help of her family and her true friends. She is kind and generous and loyal; she has always cared more about others than herself.
    I will leave it to you to decide if the same can be said of Scientology’s executives and Leah’s many former friends -- especially those Scientologists who are watching her be smeared now and are choosing to stay silent.
    I will forever be grateful to her.
    • Like Like x 5
  36. JohnnyRUClear Member

^^^^ almost too much awesomeness
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Random guy Member

Yupp, but Leah still hasn't spoken out on the cult.

It will come though, I'm sure.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. For those of you complaining about Leah Remini taking her sweet time before making some sort of declaration, stuff it.

The longer this story has legs, the happier we all should be.

It's clear she and her whole family left as a unit, after decades in, in violation of the CoS's disconnection doctrine. That alone speaks volumes.

She is out. She will eventually speak out. She is CURRENTLY speaking out through proxies.

The story will stay in the press, make headlines, and have legs for as long as she chooses to continue speaking through proxies.

When she does speak out, there will be a few more weeks of great, massive, lulzy coverage. After that, the broad media spectrum Scientology headline-generating potential dies. It will be done basically forever, or until she writes a book about Scientology, if she does.

I am content to let Leah take her time and continue speaking through her proxies. I think the media prefers it this way, as well; they get to follow & cover the story a lot longer, and most of Leah's proxies are known by name, credible because of their relationships to Leah, and easy to contact (just look at the number of interviews they've been giving - her step-mother has an ESMB account!)
  39. Anonymous Member

2½ hours after this poll closed:
    Leah Remini to pen Scientology memoir

It's the news the Church of Scientology have probably been dreading.
    High profile defector Leah Remini, 43, has revealed she's writing a tell-all book about her experiences within the controversial religion.
    Speaking at the 15th annual DesignCare event in Malibu, Remini told Us: 'It will include my experiences, everything that's taboo to talk about.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...moir--director-Paul-Haggis-comes-support.html
    Following the link to the usmagazine.com article I didn't see that quote.. hmm.
    • Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.