Customize

Have you read Battlefield Earth 5 times or more?

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by billybob, Apr 24, 2014.

1. billybob Member

• Like Like x 5
  2. This is just beyond belief. Galaxy Press does not live in the real world. There are very few books that are worth reading 5 times or more and Hubbard didn't write any of them.
    • Like Like x 11
  3. billybob Member

What are they after? Promotional material?
    Are they going to make a commercial with Battlefield Earth success stories?

"I just read Battlefield Earth again, (7th time!) and I am so through the roof! It expanded my space, I have so much more at cause now. I'm more me!"

"Every Easter Eve since 1976, I sit down with my family and we all take turns reading passages of Battlefield Earth. It's a family tradition, a desert topping, and so much more. Thank you L Ron Hubbard, Hip Hip Hooray!"

"O hai, my name is Mudkips and I read Battletoad Earth over 9000 times."
    • Like Like x 16
  4. Ogsonofgroo Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! ^^^
    Talk about living in a dream world, are they looking for retards? Might just be the way to catch one.... durrrrrrrrrr :p

Seriously, I read alot, use to like sci-fi, but couldn't even get through the first 30 pages of Hubbard's drek while in curious mode, and that copy went into a re-cycle bin to spare others the pain, aren't I a thoughtful one :D
    • Like Like x 7
  5. The Internet Member

Not one person has ever read Battlefield Earth five times. Therefore I conclude that this “market research” is aimed at finding people capable of faking enthusiasm convincingly. They’re probably hoping to use these people as sales representatives.
    • Like Like x 10
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Anonymous Member

Does Galaxy Press manage all the Pulp Fiction penned by Hubbard?
  7. I can only imagine one would resemble this after 5x reading that book.
    a3212205-145-drool.big.gif?d=1272478541.gif
    Which may explain Mitt Romney, although I bet even he hasn't read it 5 times.
    • Like Like x 7

8. I believe they do.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lulzRus Member

I'd be curious to see someone who managed to read it once, completely, without being coerced into it somehow.

Ok, perhaps it could be interesting as an analysis of Hubbard. But even then, it's about as subtle as a fart in an elevator, so there's not much challenge for analysis.

Seriously that book is weapons-grade, vogon poetry bad. The only thing that even comes close to it is perhaps the Left Behind series.
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Maybe the obvious backdoor to scientology?

I don't see this as much as market research and more, "Hey, let's find some more brain-dead fodder to shell scientology books/courses!"
    • Like Like x 5
  11. 262

[IMG][IMG][IMG]
  12. vaLLarrr Member

Not even Hubbard read that shit five times.
    • Like Like x 5
  13. DeathHamster Member

I'd read it five times. If you defined read as hurled across the room into the wall.
    • Like Like x 7
  14. Wouldn't that be funny if Galaxy Press were to find that there was no one who read that book 5 times?
    • Like Like x 2
  15. 385

I watched the movie once while I was on heroin.
  16. BlooAnon Member

I have a friend who has read it, maybe a couple of times and is not a scilon. I'm not entirely sure of his motive, but it might parallel the loving of terrible B sci-fi movies. I'll ask him next time I talk to him.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

Here's the Facebook page this is from:

http://www.facebook.com/BattlefieldEarth

A towering masterwork of science fiction adventure and one of the genre's bestselling novels of all time. Battlefield Earth opens with breathtaking scope on an Earth dominated for a thousand years by an alien invader - and man is an endangered species.
    • Like Like x 4
  18. RolandRB Member

I read it all. I thought it was OK.
    • Like Like x 4
  19. TrevAnon Member

20. TrevAnon Member

21. RightOn Member

I don't think I have ever read anything Scientology 5 times
    • Like Like x 1
  22. As ifness Member

Battlefield Earth
    Battlefield Earth
    Battlefield Earth
    Battlefield Earth
    Battlefield Earth

Ok, you're in.
    • Like Like x 11
  23. DeathHamster Member

From Analog, February 1983. Review by Tom Easton.
    I've never bothered to read BE. I read the first Mission Earth book, and thought it was written by a mental defective for other mental defectives.
    • Like Like x 9
  24. As ifness Member

I found a copy that someone had put out on the street for scavengers or rubbish collection.
    I read it, and enjoyed the shit out if it, of which there was much.
    I could scarcely believe that I both read it and enjoyed the experience.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. lulzRus Member

Can't argue tastes I guess.

I thought it read like a very bad, unfunny parody of itself. What Hitchiker's Guide would have been if written by an incompetent hack who for some unknown reason thought people find them funny.

I gave it about 50 pages to at least stop grating on my nerves, and it failed.

Did not know anything about Hubbard or scientology at the time.
    • Like Like x 3
  26. RightOn Member

o u
    • Like Like x 3
  27. As ifness Member

I'd been horrified by Hubbard's "non-fiction" scam for many years before I picked up a discarded Battlefield Earth.

It was surprising to me that I enjoyed reading it.

I had considered Hubbard to be more of a scoundrel than stupid, on the basis of his cult writings - that he had sufficient intelligence to misuse it.

Writing a novel, he was somewhat less of a conman, perhaps, and more just a person trying to entertain.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. BigBeard Member

"A towering masterwork of science fiction adventure..." It's only 'towering' if you go by word count. My guess is El Rum thought he was still doing 'penny a word' pulp stuff when he wrote BE.

I read it once, only because I'd paid for it not knowing anything about Hubbard at the time. Stupidest pile of crap I've ever read, and I read a lot.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 6
  29. But five times!

You are still somewhat coherent so I can surmise that you were only slightly damaged by the experience.
    • Like Like x 3
  30. Smart ass.:D
    • Like Like x 2
  31. I lost interest after reading his stories in many a golden age compilation (I'm more of a Fritz Leiber/ Robert Bloch, etc. fan myself...).:rolleyes:

Note to people with ambitions of writing semi-hard sci-fi: Don't flunk out of your physics classes.
    • Like Like x 5
  32. Twinkle Member

Battlefield Earth has been used as a wedge for my utility room door for years.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. RolandRB Member

A lot of science fiction written in the 50s was crap like that. I was an avid reader of it. Battlefield Earth is definitely of the 50s science fiction genre and I found it quite readable.
    • Like Like x 3
  34. amaX Member

Do they need someone who has read it less than one time?
    • Like Like x 7
  35. tinfoilhatter Member

hmmmmmmmmm,

hmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Is the "publisher" doing this "market research"? Or is it scientology?

There are three possible scenarios that i am thinking of:

1: they are looking to drop printing copies because it does not sell well, and is not popular(lulz)
    2: Some idiot wants to remake the movie(lulz it will bomb TWICE)

tinfoil?(if i have to ask, then it probably is)
    3:One of the fed branches is using their connections in the publishing industry to help with an instigation. Perhaps to see how big the cult is, or to see if they are doing some sort of underhanded manipulation.

Lots of rich people have been donating to the cult, and that is money that would have been better spent on politicians. So now, more then ever, the cult is a target by the feds to be broken up. Furthermore, with prism in place, they are able to hear and see EVERYTHING that little davy is up to, even his connections to the Nation of Islam.

Tinfoil, yes,but a funny scenario to think about.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. DeathHamster Member

Scientology is the publisher, as Galaxy Press. After the initial St. Martin's run, they shifted to Bridge Publications, and when it was obviously Scientology, they shifted to Galaxy (which is really Author Services Inc, owned by Church of Spiritual Technology).

It could be that the major book chains have all dumped Hubbard's stuff for lack of real sales, and they're trying to fake a "groundswell of support" to get them back in.
    • Like Like x 4
  37. tinfoilhatter Member

Really? I should have known. I stupidly assumed that someone other then scientology would publish a l ron hubbard book.

I have noticed a lot of them in the local BAM, mostly the pulp stupid fiction he wrote. No one seems to buy them though. That would be a staggering blow to the cult if no one bought any hubtard "wog" books. not only is that a source of income, but an important source of recruitment.
    • Like Like x 2
  38. RolandRB Member

As an ex-member, I think I know what they are up to. There are pushes from time to time to get the wog public to hear about L Ron Hubbard through his fiction writing. The aim is to get his name to be more broadly known and respected as a writer. It kind of eases the approach to Dianetics and Scientology. This will be another one of those pushes. I am guessing they want to push Battlefield Earth in a big way and maybe want keen fans of the book to dress up as the characters for a book event they are planning at some time in the future.
    • Like Like x 5
  39. vaLLarrr Member

What the clams fail to understand, because they're cut off from the actual world, is that most pulp sci-fi is dead. Nobody picks up and reads that shit even if it's not L Ron.

Of course, Battlefield Earth is a global joke thanks to the shit film - the most shit sci-fi film of all time - so no new public will be interested.

This "push" to get L Ron into the public eye is fail before it's started.

LOL
    • Like Like x 8
  40. RolandRB Member

Yes, pulp science fiction is long dead. There is no point in the clams trying to push it these days. In the 70s it might have got them somewhere but not since then.
    • Like Like x 2