Customize

Have you read Battlefield Earth 5 times or more?

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by billybob, Apr 24, 2014.

1. vaLLarrr Member

Scilons are stuck in the 70's.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. BigBeard Member

Not true, check out Project Gutenberg and enter any of the old 'pulp' science fiction mags in the search function and you'll find a bunch of "Planet", "Astounding", "Amazing", etc., mags available for download to the more popular book readers, or as .pdf or .txt files.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 3
  3. tinfoilhatter Member

Dude, its not dead, but its dying. So far, the best stuff is published by black library publications, for the games workshop super money grab. Though, its not fair to compare warhammer to scientology, because not only is warhammer cheaper, but you do have something to show for your money when you get out, AND you have useful skills.

Storm of Iron is one of my favorite books.

Its full of genocidal entheta. It brings up all my favorite "drop the galaxies retards into the volcano because OH my Xenu! those fucks were so retarded" engrams.

Those new night lords books are awesome too.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. vaLLarrr Member

Hey I do read a little sci-fi and don't care where or how, I like the movies and concepts. I like a little Dick with my Asimov...
    • Like Like x 3
  5. tinfoilhatter Member

I love dick and Asimov. did you read dick's story called the "wheel" about a scientology controlled future?
  6. Quentinanon Member

Some would argue they are stuck in the 1950's.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. DeathHamster Member

Hubbard was stuck in the 30s-40s.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Twinkle Member

Wasn't that his IQ level?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. th?id=HN.608020558664502432&pid=15.1.jpg

th?id=HN.608055335010961522&pid=15.1.jpg
    Dianetics is just one chapter, on the strength of the contents of Excalibur,
    I am going to go into orbit........LRH
    Don't read this book or you'll likely go insane like 4 of the first readers did,
    you've been warned........

Call me crazy, but i read Hubbard's 'Excalibur' 5 times backwards.
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Quentinanon Member

Evidently Hubbard was one of those he referred to as going insane after reading it.
    • Like Like x 6
  11. Twinkle Member

Isn't that what's known as speed reading?
    • Like Like x 5
  12. HOC Member

I lold. Well played.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. I've always thought that Hubbard knew he was insane and tried to pass it on to others through his writing/Scientology. He rationalized his insanity into a strength and those who disagreed became the enemy.
  14. RolandRB Member

The whole of the collection of Scientology "churches" is like an association of lunatic asylums where the inmates think they are the doctors.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Twinkle Member

The lunatics are taking over the asylum?
  16. Twinkle Member

I've dug out my copy of this again and read on the back cover "Dekalogy: A group of 10 volumes."

Does this mean the fat old blubtard wrote more of this crap? And should I be scared?

What is actually more mysterious is how this book came into my house, I don't ever remember buying it.
    The upside is it's never been opened, still in mint condition too.
  17. RolandRB Member

The 10 volume set is the Mission Earth series of books.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/33503.L_Ron_Hubbard
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Twinkle Member

19. There's a great post on the writing of Mission Earth by LRH's editor and sometime Ghost Writer.

I think it's here:

http://www.lermanet.com/cos/MissionEarth.htm

(I'm currently blocked at work) And I apologize if this has been posted here before.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. thesneakster Member

(ahem) I realize this will probably garner me further ridicule, but I admit to having read "Battlefield Earth" at least 5 times and probably more than that. However, having grown up on a mixed diet of both hard Science Fiction (for example: Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clark, Robert Heinlein, Philip K. Dick, Keith Laumer, Ben Bova, etc) and Space Opera/Science Fantasy (examples: Andre Norton, Edgar Rice Burroughs, C.J. Cherryh, E.E. "Doc" Smith, Trowbridge & Smith, etc), I took "Battlefield Earth" as a swashbuckler with sci-fi elements and quite an enjoyable one. Good versus Evil with Good ultimately triumphing.

Complaining about it not holding up to serious Science Fiction standards seems foolish as it never claimed to be nor was it ever promoted as such.

By the way, I am in the habit of reading favored stories many times, sometimes many, many. I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy at least 40 and perhaps as many as 50 times, for instance.

Michael A. Hobson
    Independent Scientologist
    • Like Like x 4
  21. bAnon Member

I respect your knowledge (and persistence?) regarding sci-fi literature. That being said, (and I haven't read Battlefield) do you really think that L Ron was on par with the other great authors you list?

I'm a big sci-fi fan, but can't bring myself to reading Battlefield. Dare I say, prove me wrong....
    • Like Like x 2
  22. RolandRB Member

^^ Good - it keeps you out of harm's way.
    • Like Like x 2
  23. thesneakster Member

Why, thank you.

I have never once claimed or stated anywhere on the Internet or elswhere that Ron Hubbard's fiction was particularly stellar. Having read a number of his pulp era stories, I reckon he was pretty good - in his time period and genre. I found "Fear", "Typewriter in the Sky", "Slaves of Sleep" and "Masters of Sleep" to be at least the equal in craftsmanship of anything contemporary - in the pulp genres. YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary.

Michael A. Hobson
  24. bAnon Member

Thanks. Your internet disclaimers aside, I'll take what you said and continue to not read L Ron fiction. Life is short, and there's wayyyy to much written word left on my bucket list.

Also, please don't read Tolkien for a 100th time. try some cyber-punk ;)
  25. thesneakster Member

I've read most of William Gibson's (the inventor of cyberpunk) works. I reckon I liked "Burning Chrome" the best. Of course, I have to temporarily forget everything I know about computer science to enjoy that sort of thing. Oh, and the movie "Johnny Mnemonic" didn't do the story justice, in my opinion.

Michael A. Hobson
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Anonylemmi Member

50s pulp fiction is a genre that I enjoyed immensely as a kid. I still dip into it on a occasion. I have no conscious memory of ever having read a Hubbard novel, but I am willing to give BE a try. As long as I do not have to buy it from $ci sources.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Keep an eye on local thrift stores and garage sales. Look long enough it will appear: like Late, Great Planet Earth, a left behind book, or a funky bad penny, it will turn up sooner or later and in those circumstances the scant money involved is excusable as it is headed for a better cause.

Let us know how it goes.:p
    • Like Like x 1
  28. I think being on "speed" is probably a better proposition than reading it fast.

Regardless of your opinion of it being good or bad, to read. The problem still exists that the profits go to fund scientology. That I can't abide with a good conscience.

As someone noted, finding a copy- at a garage sale- mitigates the action of sending money to scientology. But, even then, I'd wonder if the person I bought it from- down the road- might want to replace it and I've unwittingly become a donor to scientology.
    • Like Like x 4
  29. 288

There are 6 used copies for $0.01 plus $3.99 shipping on Amazon.
  30. Anonylemmi Member

TPB has it in epub, lit and other weird forms that I cannot read.
  31. vaLLarrr Member

Yeah torrent that shit, don't risk having a physical copy kicking around in case anyone sees it and assumes you've gone Full Retard.
    • Like Like x 6
  32. BigBeard Member

"The Lord of the Rings" is NOT repeat NOT a trilogy. Read Tolkien's own introduction. It's a tale told in six parts, only parts 1 and 2 have to be read in order. Parts 2, 3, 4, and 5 can be read in any order and the story still comes out right. Not true of "real" trilogies.

Houghton Mifflen actually published a single volume leather bound collectors edition of TLOTRs (ISBN-13: 9780395193952), but most pulishers split it into 3 volumes because their equipment can't handle a single volume that size.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 4
  33. The local student's $1 book sale has had the same case of 'hubbard' pulp classics for 3 years now. Can't imagine why they haven't sold.:rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 4
  34. RolandRB Member

Because people pick up one of the books, go past a word they don't understand, then end up with their head feeling squashy and then give up.
    • Like Like x 3
  35. You are probably right. Hell even the garish covers make my head so squashy I don't even open the book. I usually buy a dictionary then head for chinese food down the block.
    • Like Like x 3
  36. RolandRB Member

To do some chinese learning, I hope.
    • Like Like x 3
  37. As ifness Member

Roland, Roland, Roland - you are a gem.
  38. As ifness Member

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lord-of-the-rings-j-r-r-tolkien/1100188646?ean=9780395193952
    1216 pages.
  39. Anonymous Member

Anyone who has read that book more than one time has permanent brain scramble and would be unable to
    do anything other than sit in a chair, droll and mess their adult diapers.
  40. thesneakster Member

Ad Hominem - the last refuge of people with nothing rational or relevant to add to a discussion.

Michael A. Hobson