Customize

Have you read Battlefield Earth 5 times or more?

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by billybob, Apr 24, 2014.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

This site's Search shows that Jim Meskimen has been mentioned here more than 150 times. Here he is again.

We Talked To The Man Directing The 47 Hour Battlefield Earth Audiobook

By Zac Thompson, The Huffington Post, July 28, 2016

Quote:

Battlefield Earth may go down as one of the most controversial books of all time. Written by Church of Scientology founder, L Ron Hubbard, Battlefield Earth was published in 1982 to mixed reactions. The novel was criticized as a bloated and reductive science fiction adventure meant to propel the ideals of a strange faith. Things didn’t get better when the “best seller” status of the book was revealed to be the product of a book buying campaign from the church. Everything came to a head in 2000 when the film adaptation was released. A film Roger Ebert called “unpleasant in a hostile way.

All that controversy begs the question, why would anyone attach themselves to the property now or ever. Well, voice actor, impressionist, and director Jim Meskimen is doing just that with the Battlefield Earth audiobook. I caught up with Jim to discuss directing the audiobook adaptation, the themes of the novel, and what compelled him to take on the job that seemingly no one wanted to do.

Continued here, with a video and an alarming amount of douchebaggery:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zac-thompson/battlefield-earth-is-the-_b_11246560.html
  2. JohnnyRUClear Member

No, it doesn't beg that question.
  3. Incredulicide Member

This mustn't be the existing audiobook of a similar length produced in 1994 and already entirely on youtube, which sounds like it was all performed by one person.
  4. Quentinanon Member

The "team of OTs" sure knows how to put the ASS in ecclesiasstical.
    In the early-1980's, the OSAbots and OT Committee dupes were urging staff and public to buy multiple copies, then turn them over to a shill on the OT Committee who shipped them somewhere. They are doing the same shit again, but now it's twenty copies. Clearly, they are more desperate and crazy than ever before.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. bongodream Member

I read it once. Since I'm pretty sure that is a world record...

It is very juvenile writing, but not as bad as Hubbard's earlier stuff. I enjoyed parts. It had at least one cool scifi idea, and one very unique story element. I'm not going into detail on either because scientologists are too stupid to know what they are, and I don't want to give them any ammunition for selling the book.

If nothing else, the book is far better than the movie. Even if they decided to adapt it without much embellishment, there is enough material to cherry pick a totally workable story. Successful movies have been made from much less. The problems were a horribly conceived and unrespectful script by Mandell and the uncanny incompetence of the producers (Krane & Travolta) for going into production with it.
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

L. Ron Hubbard in exile: When Scientology’s leader ran things while on the lam

By Tony Ortega, October 3, 2016

Quote:

In February 1980 in Hemet, California, Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard sat down on a mattress that his driver, John Brousseau, had put in the back of a van. Hubbard reached out his hand and shook Brousseau’s and said goodbye as a young couple, Pat and Annie Broeker, got into the van and then drove it away.

It was the last Brousseau and just about anyone else in the Church of Scientology ever saw of Hubbard, who died almost six years later at a ranch hundreds of miles away near a town called Creston. In those six years, Hubbard and the Broekers kept out of sight in total seclusion, settling at the ranch in about 1983.

But during those years, Hubbard did continue to run Scientology, relying on Pat Broeker and another young Sea Org official, Brousseau’s boss David Miscavige, to carry Hubbard’s instructions from his hiding place to the rest of the Scientology organizations around the world.

And we have an interesting document today that shows how much Hubbard was still working pretty frenetically even as he was hiding out with the Broekers. It was Hubbard’s annual “Ron’s Journal” that he put out on Christmas Day, 1980.

In it, Ron announces to his followers that he’s had enough “spare time” to write a gigantic science fiction novel which will ultimately be published in 1982 as Battlefield Earth. And he also informs them that he’s coming out with a “non-religious” moral code in a booklet he calls The Way to Happiness.

There’s no hint from Hubbard, however, that Scientology itself was in turmoil, or that it was keeping him on the run. The year before, Hubbard’s wife Mary Sue and ten other Scientologists were convicted for conspiring to carry out the largest ever infiltration of the U.S. federal government, the years-long burglarizing of federal offices that Hubbard had called the “Snow White Program” (and is mistakenly referred to by the press as “Operation Snow White”). In 1980, Mary Sue Hubbard’s criminal conviction was on appeal (three years later she went to prison on a five-year sentence but ended up serving only one year), but you’d never know that his wife was facing prison time from his Christmas message.

Give Ron’s message a read and let us know what you think of it. If you were in the church at the time, can you remember what you thought when you received it? Can you remember hearing that Hubbard had vanished that year?

We think it’s fascinating stuff.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/10/03/l-ron-hubbard-when-scientologys-leader-ran-things-while-on-the-lam/
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

8. RightOn Member

Vintage Mad TV skit
    Battlefield Earth MOVIE dis at 3:22
  9. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Amazon:
    Blurb on L Ron Hubbard
    Biography
    With 19 New York Times bestsellers and more than 320 million copies of his works in circulation, L. Ron Hubbard is among the most enduring and widely read authors of our time. As a leading light of American Pulp Fiction through the 1930s and '40s, he is further among the most influential authors of the modern age. Indeed, from Ray Bradbury to Stephen King, there is scarcely a master of imaginative tales who has not paid tribute to L. Ron Hubbard.

Then too, of course, there is all L. Ron Hubbard represents as the Founder of Dianetics and Scientology and thus the only major religion born in the 20th century.

While, as such, he presents the culmination of science and spiritual technology as embodied in the religion of Scientology.
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

I Finally Finished Watching 'Battlefield Earth' and Hoo Boy I Shouldn't Have

The big screen adaptation of a novel by the founder of Scientology is so bad it's almost impossible to laugh at.

by Chris Feil, VICE

Quote:

Bombs like Battlefield Earth are the rarest of creatures, like a pungent cheese to be savored over copious glasses of wine for trashterpiece connoisseurs like myself. The kind of misfire to send me rushing to the theatre in my Nomi Malone nails to ponder all of the collateral beauty around me onscreen.

And yet, even I couldn’t finish this disaster of a movie. I bailed from the theater after the film’s first would-be set piece, where the hero, Jonnie Goodboy Tyler, is captured by the villainous and hairy dominating alien race, the Psychlos (from Planet Psychlo, duh).

<snipped>

Sometimes, walking out is the right thing to do. Consider an act of kindness to both yourself and a movie that should just be allowed to die.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/...battlefield-earth-and-hoo-boy-i-shouldnt-have
    • Like Like x 1