Customize

Help breaking censure on Twitter

Discussion in 'Help Iran Online' started by worldmage, Jun 30, 2009.

1. worldmage Member

Much has been said about Twitter and its ability to spread news from and to Iran. However, one of the criteria for success is that the people posting on twitters also are visible for others...

As it is now some of the Iranian users of Twitter appear to be under censure, in the sense that they can post on Twitter but their messages will not appear on searches.

The consequence of this is that whenever one of those blogged twitters post a message containing '#iranelection', then this message wont be visible for people searching for #iranelection.

I am not sure of how many which is affected but I have noticed that at least 10 twitters are blogged on searches, and most of them are very active on Twitter.

I have tried to contact Twitter but I have not received any explanation for why this censure occurs.

Any explanation for why Twitter denies this group of people their freedom of speech will be appreciated.
  2. This is happening not just to the Iranians, but a lot of people posting about Iran. There is a help forum about ten miles long with complaints about this but nothing is happening.

The only solution is create new twitter accounts.

However, it seems to be that people following those affected will still see new posts. If this is your case, just get followers to retweet things.

This is manifesting in a few hundred ways and fashions. Some is just the overload on twitter atm, but many suspect Iranian cyberwarfare guys (such as keep getting gerdab.ir back up) are involved.

So far, creating new accounts seems the only solution.

Since Twitter is low-profit, if they can be convinced to accept it, perhaps there could be an effort to volunteer to help twitter shore things up?
  3. worldmage Member

Properly a database fault

I have looked at the problem and I find it highly unlikely that it has anything to do with the user settings, IP used, or similar properties related to the user.

That leaves two options, first that Twitter are using some sort of spam filter.

Secondly that the error is caused by some sort of database fault, maybe a faulty index in the database, which is causing an error in the search routines.

If the users were blogged deliberately based on some sort of spam filter it would properly be quite easy to remove the user from the filter.

Since this does not appear to the case, I guess that it must be the information in the database which somehow has got corrupted.

And if that is the case I do not believe it will be possible to correct the fault unless you have access to the actual data, as it would be way easier to find the bug by analyzing the data in the database than trying to analyse the code which causes the data to be corrupted.

If anybody knows about a developer with database access please let me know about it :)
  4. Srpska Member

Bastarding shites. I can't see how the Gerdab faggots WOULDN'T have thought of this, so I think it must be at least partly their doing.

Which means there's only one thing to do:

Fight tooth and nail.
  5. Amen. x2000000000000000000000000
  6. I am no techie but I might have something here. I refreshed the Iran twitter feed at whazzup #iranelection and this is what came up:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/ext/webapp/__init__.py", line 501, in __call__
    handler.get(*groups)
    File "/base/data/home/apps/twazzup/2.334604316860891927/main.py", line 68, in get
    twitteruser = self.getLoggedTwitterUser()
    File "/base/data/home/apps/twazzup/2.334604316860891927/twazzup/webapp.py", line 32, in getLoggedTwitterUser
    return self.sessionmgr.getLoggedTwitterUser()
    File "/base/data/home/apps/twazzup/2.334604316860891927/twazzup/user.py", line 212, in getLoggedTwitterUser
    if not self.session.has_key('logged_twitter_id'):
    File "/base/data/home/apps/twazzup/2.334604316860891927/appengine_utilities/sessions.py", line 895, in has_key
    return self.__contains__(keyname)
    File "/base/data/home/apps/twazzup/2.334604316860891927/appengine_utilities/sessions.py", line 802, in __contains__
    r = self.__getitem__(keyname)
    File "/base/data/home/apps/twazzup/2.334604316860891927/appengine_utilities/sessions.py", line 711, in __getitem__
    data = self._get(keyname)
    File "/base/data/home/apps/twazzup/2.334604316860891927/appengine_utilities/sessions.py", line 558, in _get
    return self.session.get_item(keyname)
    File "/base/data/home/apps/twazzup/2.334604316860891927/appengine_utilities/sessions.py", line 165, in get_item
    results = query.fetch(1)
    File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/ext/db/__init__.py", line 1426, in fetch
    raw = self._get_query().Get(limit, offset)
    File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/datastore.py", line 959, in Get
    return self._Run(limit, offset)._Get(limit)
    File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/datastore.py", line 900, in _Run
    apiproxy_stub_map.MakeSyncCall('datastore_v3', 'RunQuery', pb, result)
    File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/apiproxy_stub_map.py", line 72, in MakeSyncCall
    apiproxy.MakeSyncCall(service, call, request, response)
    File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/apiproxy_stub_map.py", line 244, in MakeSyncCall
    stub.MakeSyncCall(service, call, request, response)
    File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/runtime/apiproxy.py", line 183, in MakeSyncCall
    rpc.CheckSuccess()
    File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/apiproxy_rpc.py", line 110, in CheckSuccess
    raise self.exception
    Error: An error occurred for the API request datastore_v3.RunQuery().

7. And I went back to Twazzup after posting this and get a 500 server error. Iow, it's down.......for now anyway. It's Thursday, July 2.
  8. add:

#censor

to your tweets, this way they will show up when masses of people start realizing the censors block.
  9. It's not just an issue of the tweets not showing up in #iran, but also when the name of the person tweeting is searched. It basically acts as if your settings are private.
  10. There may be a flip side to this that can help the Iranian protesters...

The internet angle (with particular reference to Twitter) has had quite a lot of coverage in the Western media.

The censoring (or hacking) of Twitter would be a definite story. Can we prove this definitively, and then contact our respective media's?

This could recruit more "troops" to the cause, force Twitter to rectify the issue, and raise the profile of what's going on in Iran (together with the government's extreme censorship attempts).