Customize

How to get free video editing software

Discussion in 'How To' started by Lluvi@, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Lluvi@ Member

I have a class that requires photoshop but, I don't the funds to afford that application so I was wondering if there is anyone that knows where i can get for free?
  2. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Your best bet is the Adobe website for the demo. You probably can live with it's demo for the term.

You can also get GIMP for free. GIMP is almost identical to Photoshop with additional bonus that it is Open Source.

If you are looking for bootleg, piracy, etc. then get the fuck out of here. WWP does not endorse or promote illegal activity.

(EDIT: I added lings)
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

No problem or worries about the asking. I prefer GIMP over Photoshop, however there is some differences. I will warn you that GIMP and Photoshop are not photocopies of each other. So if your class involves learning Photoshop, your best bet is the extended demo. If your class involves just digital manipulation and isn't contingent on using Photoshop, then GIMP is a great alternative.

One of the tools that make me a Photoshop bitch is the magnet select tool. However, for my job I prefer the ease of GIMP. I edit and clean shop manuals and find GIMP's color filters a bit more faster to use.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. slobeck Member

trufax.
    on the flip side, if you're doing any color theory stuff like stripping color seps and touch plates or hand editing plates by ink color then pShop is really the only way to go and in the industry you'll be expected to know it.

Gimp is nice because of it's lack of emphasis on filters and more on editing its self. Filters make you lazy (for the most part)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Very true. However why I use GIMP and it's color filter system is more or less for speed. I am trying to turn shop manuals that look like a grease gun jizzed on them and then got scanned in into readable PDFs. I'm not able to turn them into photo realistic images (They more or less are a wall o' text and diagrams), but just make them legible. Sometimes I can make them look great, but I don't think spending hours on a page would be wise. Thanks to GIMP I can do 20 - 30 pages a day and reduce the file size from a couple megs down to a few kilobytes.

There is no doubt Photoshop in my mind works great in photo editing and manipulation. I absolutely love the fuck out of that magnet selection tool. The fact it creates Vector points as it goes along and has a great color selection algorithm makes it my fav tool. Why GIMP doesn't have that tool is beyond me.
  6. There was a time when Adobe offered products like Photoshop to educators and students at a substantially reduced rate. The program may still be active. I suggest contacting Abobe and making inquiries about such a program.

http://www.adobe.com/education/
    • Like Like x 2
  7. AnonSpectre Member

Yarh harh yippidee dee, life of a pirate is alright for me.

YARH.
  8. That does still exist.
  9. Honigdachs Member

Hmm BTT.

Free video editing software is built in windows with the windows movie maker.
    Apple has something similar.
    Linux has kino.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

Photo or video editor? For video there is free Openshot for Linux (Ubuntu), way better than movie maker, even for GUI. Now you can install Ubuntu like an application in Windows.
  11. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

You can run Ubuntu via CD without installing it. Kinda nice.
  12. 5had0w5 Member

Is that kind of inventing again a virtual machine ?
    Topiary was used 16 VM in the same time..
  13. Anonymous Member

On Linux I have done some video editing with Kdenlive. It can be buggy, but it is by far my favorite free movie editor.

http://www.kdenlive.org/
    • Like Like x 1