Customize

How To Write Effectively

Discussion in 'How To' started by Loki's spawn, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Loki's spawn Member

There's been a large influx of newfags lately, and tragically, I've noticed that most of them have suffered some sort of brain aneurysm that prevents them from typing coherently. This handy How-To thread should help you poor little twitterbugs communicate in a concise, cogent manner.

1. Take your time.
    This goes without saying. There's no rush to hear your important message, and taking a minute or two to look over it for spelling or grammatical errors can do nothing but help. Especially on a slow forum like this, crafting carefully worded posts is infinitely better than spewing out a word vomit.

2. Learn how to spell.
    Nothing makes people disregard your posts faster than a misspelled word. Brush up on the various forms of your/you're, to/two/too, and their/there/they're. The rich text editor here has a very handy spell-checker as well, which underlines all of your misspelled words with a red squiggly line.

3. Plan ahead.
    What's the message you're trying to get across? The main rule is one idea per paragraph. Make a mental list of the main points you're trying to make, and boil each down to a thesis statement with supporting arguments. Check your paragraphs for unity and try to avoid rambling.

4. Use your resources.
    Don't jump into an Op/press release/argument half-cocked. Are you making a claim? A quick Google search can typically show if it has merit or not. Gather sources beforehand and make sure you read them (and understand them) in their entirety. Remember the rule: Dox or STFU.

That's all, folks.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Anonymous Member

3. Anonymous Member

More writing tips for newfags
    Terms to avoid:
    Zeitgeist, New World Order, Chem Trails

WWP accepts UFOs, most conspiracy theories and unicorns
  4. rickybobby Member

I think a lot of the youngfags have no idea what the difference is between posting on a forum and texting their bestie.
  5. Anonymous Member

Liked it. Added it:
    https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/welcome-to-whyweprotest.111548/#post-2317324

Being honest, I have seen loads of questions by newfags that have been answered in the introduction. And I suspect that, if we could get newfags to RTFM it would save a lot of the OP's frustrations. Any ideas on how to make them RTFM? White Tara, PS, etc. have been doing great work there linking introductees to it, but I'm not seeing much evidence that it is being read.
  6. Anonymous Member

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  7. Anonymous Member

Faced with the choice of using a large impressive sounding word or a simple common word that means the same thing -- use the common word.
  8. Paragraphs are your friends, fucking use them.
  9. Spamming a forum is bad manners.
    Please fuck off.