Customize

Huffington Post to ban Anonymous Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sallysock, Aug 22, 2013.

1. sallysock Member

Huffington Post to ban Anonymous Comments

By Callum Borchers

| Globe Staff
    August 21, 2013
    The days of anonymous commenting on the Huffington Post are numbered. Founder Arianna Huffington said in Boston Wednesday that the online news site plans to require readers to use their real names to comment on stories, beginning next month.

“Freedom of expression is given to people who stand up for what they’re saying and not hiding behind anonymity,” she said.

Huffington was in Boston to deliver the keynote address at a technology marketing conference sponsored by HubSpot, where her talk focused on work-life balance for business leaders.
    But while talking to reporters after her speech, she spilled the beans on the commenting announcement, which apparently had been planned for a future date.

“We’ve just made a decision — we’re going to announce it soon, but here you are — I’m announcing it now,” Huffington said. “We’re going to end anonymity in comments.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...us-comments/EjrAPge98I3Sp0YTdSTRnN/story.html

Interesting timing and "reasoning" in the linked article- well- judge for yourself. I do not think this will end well.
  2. moarxenu Member

I <3 sock puppets.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Anonymous Member

Lulz.
    In addition, the 10 comments over there appear to come from retards.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Anonymous Member

How do they know I'm using my real name of Biff Bifferson McSpanky?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. dwest Member

And they will know its our real name how? This is very misguided on a number of levels. I have had mine tied to my twitter account (with same name as I use at HuffPost) for several years. If they think people with completely faux names tied to nothing will throw all their well earned badges away I have news for them.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RightOn Member

Biff!!!!
  7. Anonymous Member

I wonder if this has to do with this:
    https://whyweprotest.net/community/...s-peta-over-right-to-remain-anonymous.111358/

Did huffpo give up the identity of the poster or is this related to a lawsuit, etc?

Anonymous fights PETA over right to remain anonymous

By Cody Permenter on May 30, 2013 Email
    Hacktivist collective Anonymous has targeted People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), claiming the animal rights group’s attempt to bring legal action against online commenters who were critical of the organization’s euthanasia tactics is “unacceptable.”

“Once again a shadowy group of zealots who are given to well practiced media manipulation and bizarre celebrity endorsements are using legal threats and strong arm tactics in an attempt to prevent anonymous criticism of their organisation and activities online,” Anonymous wrote in a Pastebin document.
    PETA filed a lawsuit last week in New York state court asking for the names of anonymous individuals who left harsh comments on an April 4 Huffington Post article that revealed questionable conditions inside one of PETA’s animal shelters.

More lol stupid Peta: http://www.dailydot.com/news/anonymous-peta-huffington-post-commenters-lawsuit/

The comment in question was posted at huffpo (see thread for details)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nancy Beazley Member

Well, you know ... no masks in public, no socks online. It's what's trending.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Random guy Member

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I guess the Huffington Post will continue backsliding into irrelevance. I never read that 'rag' anyway.
  11. nevarmore Member

Arianna=Huffpo=AOL= irrelevant
    • Like Like x 1
  12. moarxenu Member

13. Anonymous Member

Who reads the fucking comments there anyway? Page after page of 'no u!' level commentary just to get to something interesting.

I guess all those folk will just have to shit the place up with their real names revealing how utterly stupid they actually are.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DeathHamster Member

They'll be tomorrow's .. umm .. that company before Facebook, I forget, you know .. them .. right?

They attracted readers and commenters when she used to pay columnists, who were the content.
    And then she screwed the columnists for money.
    After that, the commenters were the content.
    And now she wants to squash the commenters to please a bunch of petaphiles.

This will not end well.

Oh wait, it will. It will give me great lulz!
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Anonymous Member

What are they gonna do, ask for id?
  16. Anonymous Member

Hi there!

My real name is Ann Onh Eemus.

I know what you're thinking, but that's my actual name, and I'm highly offended if you make fun of it.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous Member

Let's all just register as John Smith. All of us. Kind of a virtual raid.
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Anonymous Member

next they ask for your ego
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Anonymous Member

I see a national internet login, it will require legislation, but will keep you safe, ahem.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Anonymous Member

PETA needs to get that fucking gerbil out of it's ass and realize it as legit a target for criticism as anybody else. In fact given their smug feelings of moral superiority, they deserve every revelation about where their money goes that they get.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Basically, they want to identify users as legit via Facebook.

...Like that is going to ID real people from socks and trolls. If that is the case, then the world has a lot of real Mike Hunts and Phil McCrotches in it if Facebook is to be believed as a legit identifier...
  22. moarxenu Member

Peta.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Anonymous Member

Huffpo consistently pushes alt med, which is just unproven medicine tarted up to look like it might be proven kinda. The constant pushing of alt med has resulted in dumber med schools and dumber doctors. Because you can't have standards if sometimes you don't need them.

It's like Pyrex. A brand gets a good rep then someone buys the brand, degrades it and cashes in. Big money in that model until the rep degrades to match the inferior product. Takes several years to get there.

tl;dr: Fuck Huffpo.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. rickybobby Member

I find forcing a link to facebook offensive. VERY offensive.
    • Like Like x 7
  25. Anonymous Member

Alt Med? Paint with a broad brush much? You talking ear candling or research into the anti-cancer properties of curcumin? Are you calling fecal transplant therapy for c diff "alt med"?
  26. Anonymous Member

We're at the point now where there is no clear line between proven medicine and unproven medicine. A fancy-pants high tech scan can be "integrative medicine," no chiropractors or vitamins involved, just a money making scam that looks like real medicine so long as you don't notice the shitty evidence of benefit.

We can fix this situation by doing what Scientology did to the psychs: starve the scammers of their income streams. Roll back DSHEA. Get "integrative medicine" out of our teaching hospitals. Dox or STFU for all. No more double standards.
  27. Kilia Member

I don't use Facebook hahahahaha!! :)
    • Like Like x 4
  28. Anonymous Member

Agreed, and so many sites have done this.

What's the word...??? Oh yeah - D O G M A.
  29. Anonymous Member

This applies to "conventional" treatments as well. There are some common treatments, meds and screening tests that have no real good science behind them. They are used because that's just always what we have done.
  30. Anonymous Member

such as...?
  31. Ibogaine has been used for thousands of years by natural Shaman!!!
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  32. X_L33t Member

I've always been fond of "Seemore Butts". Bit juvenile, but...