Customize

If you have a Vimeo account, beware

Discussion in 'Youtube and Vimeo Problems' started by RHill, May 18, 2009.

1. RHill Member

If you have a Vimeo account, beware

Mine was cancelled (for good it appears) on May 13, 2009, around noon. I understand that many of you here might have Vimeo accounts, and I actually embed some materials from others' Vimeo accounts on my web site. Without being specific, it would really suck if some materials found on Vimeo -- which in my opinion serve the higher purpose of public interest/education -- were to be rendered "unavailable" by Vimeo. (Often materials which are just plain excerpts without further editing, so as per Vimeo's words, this would qualify even more for account cancellation)

Here is what I posted on ARS last Wednesday:

People suggested and convinced me that I should answer Vimeo, which I did on May 14, 2009:

No answer so far.
  2. 3rdMan Member

Re: If you have a Vimeo account, beware

My vids are still up, but now I'm very concerned. I hope vimeo isn't going to be exploitable like youtube. But thanks for the warning. Pretty sure you'll get an answer back soon.
  3. moarxenu Member

Ray, have you contacted Electronic Freedom Foundation and Scott Pilutik?
  4. Anonymous Member

The rule on "Vimeo" is if you made it yourself. They just sidestep fair use questions by saying that they will not allow fair use at all. That is an honest position to take, if perhaps a bit gutless.
  5. anon0004 Member

will download all my videos and create a new account keeping them private, when canceeled, I will make the backup account public
  6. Olrik Member

Good idea. Will do the same... Gosh... All these MB to reupload!
  7. Smurf Member

I was recently notified by British Mum that my video, uploaded on Vimeo AND YouTube in November 2008 were no longer accessible.. translated, both Vimeo & YT took them down after Sci-freak lawyers Rick Moxon & Ava Pacquette filed complaints.

YT has removed 26 of my videos after they received complaints by Scilon freaks and have advised me I have no recourse unless I just close down my account.

Why the legal whores at Vimeo & YouTube gets so frazzled by the routine, litigious threats vomited by Scilon attorneys on an everyday, casual basis is beyond me. Fucking wimps.
  8. Re: If you have a Vimeo account, beware

Yeah that sounds really professional! :rolleyes: NOT Vimeo sucks more and more.

Vimeo.com Terms of Service

There are moer video sharing sites then just Vimeo and the Youtube
  9. Re: If you have a Vimeo account, beware

Another Vimeo'd account here

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-scientology-discussion/my-vimeo-account-got-pulled-45878/
  10. Arsolycus Member

Interestingly enough, I heard that Vimeo owns Vimeo.com and they can choose how to run their website.
  11. Re: If you have a Vimeo account, beware

indeed. shame they run it in this way though. I can understand if they only want original material, and will accept that if they give that reason, but banning original works that make fair use of other material is obviously just fear of litigation; more than they need to.
  12. RHill Member

Who said otherwise?
  13. LRonAnon Member

v
  14. Anonymous Member

My account was removed too. Not a surprise, but it's interresting to note that the removal of all these free educational videos is pure - and hidden - censorship, even though the guy who removed them thought it was just because of legalities.

Censorship in the land of Freedom, Free trade and Free my-ass BS ? More likely than you think.

Make money, make more money. THREATEN if needed.

I'll do other vidz, no problem with that, but lol @ land of capitalist freedom.
  15. Oswald2001 Member

Time to use:

http://rutube.ru/
  16. RHill Member

And just as I predicted: One of his video was embedded on my front page:

"What if Scientology actually made a TRUTHFUL infomercial?"

So I simply changed to the Youtube version.

Really, could this be confused with anything else but fair use?

Searching through all my "vimeo.com" links, I also found that "Pelvidar"'s account no longer exists -- I don't know if this was another cancellation by Vimeo or whether he removed his account himself:
    http://www.vimeo.com/user368995

I was linking from Glosslip's interview with Jeff Hawkins and Mark Bunker:

He was the creator of those excellent "Road to ..." videos.
  17. Vir Member

I think Pelvidar removed them himself.

If Vimeo don't want to have videos with Fair Use in them, that's their loss, but it's also their right to sidestep all Fair Use questions by just not allowing any of it.
  18. Oswald2001 Member

I don't know of ANY Anonymous videos that have EVAR been removed from:

http://rutube.ru/
  19. Anonypeg Member

Pelvidar's vimeo account was closed months ago. I discovered this during the time WWP was being DDoS'd. When I asked about whether the videos exist online ... yes they do. They exist right here:

Road to February 10th on Vimeo

That's the link to the February vid. It's all in the same channel though.
  20. Herro Member

How is it censorship? They don't have to host your videos on their servers if they don't want to.
  21. Anonymous Member

Contrary to what some people say, the actions of private individuals and companies can amount to censorship. Not in this case though, becuase it is a policy which applies to everyone saying not to up anything you didn't make yourself.
  22. RHill Member

All the ones I uploaded I made them myself. See: Derivative work. What do you make of this?
  23. Oswald2001 Member

Of course it's censorship. Dictated by the jackbooted legal thugs from an Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult.

It's the predictable and habitual pattern of legal bullying used as a policy by the Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult.

The Cult has gone to great lengths and great expense to develop, maintain and propigate a well deserved reputation as the most litigious Evil Cult in history. And this consistantly for decades.

The Cultists delivered a stated...or unstated...ultimatum to YouTube and now Vimeo. "Bend to our will or we will destroy you through the crushing expense of endless litigation."

After all, this same approach worked with the IRS. That is no small feat.

This can work on some Western and 'free world' companies, but, not the Russians.

The Russians have loooooooong experience with Evil Empires bent on World Domination.

And they won't allow the competition.
  24. Herro Member

Yeah, that's not censorship. Nobody's stopping you from making videos. They're just saying "you can't host that on these servers that we own."

Like it or not, all the CoS is doing is saying to vimeo: "see that account over there? Yeah, it's violating your policies." Is it weasely? Yeah. Is it censorship? No.
  25. anyjane Member

Vimeo is trying to move to 100% original user created content. Also, they don't even seem to know what they are doing right now (if you look at their forums).
  26. Oswald2001 Member

"Censorship is the suppression of speech or deletion of communicative material which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the government or media organizations as determined by a censor."

The legal scum from The Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult is CENSORING material on a web site of a company that they don't own, yet...legally...control in Mafia like fashion.

Further, The Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult is FORCING a company that they don't own, yet...legally...control....to CENSOR on behalf of The Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult in Mafia controlled like fashion.

That is they are SUPRESSING SPEECH and CAUSING DELETION OF COMMUNICATIVE MATERIAL that The Cultists deem OBJECTIONABLE, HARMFUL, SENSITIVE OR INCONVENIENT to The Cult.

In other words, THE TRUTH.

The Con of Elron could be foisted upon people prior to today's level of communication, prior to the availability of searchable databases, online communities, affordable high quality digital video, the ability to produce and exchange video productions on home computers.

The Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult tried to suppress the Internet before.

The result is ANONYMOUS.

The Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult continues to...try...to suppress what goes on on the Internet.

The result will be equally disasterous for the Culties.

Just another Footbullet.
  27. Oswald2001 Member

100% original user created content is one approach to...hopefully...avoid ruinous lawsuit expenses.

This won't help them with The Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult and their quest for their Fourth Reich.
  28. anyjane Member

Ummm... okay!
  29. Herro Member

Ok, but, again. That's not censorship. Nobody is stopping you from making videos. Vimeo is just enforcing their policy. You don't have any kind of right to have your videos hosted on their servers. Anyone can complain about their material being used. It's not like it's some special action only available to the CoS. And how do you know that the CoS is controlling Vimeo through legal threats? You seem to think that Vimeo is some poor helpless victim in all of this.
  30. Anonymous Member

See it from the other side. Imagine a totalitarian country enforcing censorship.
    They have laws and rules for this too. If we were in such a country, you would say: "see: there are laws forbidding you to say what you say, so shut up."

imo, the point is that the rules are reducing freedom of expression.
    What makes the case relatively new historically speaking is that these rules are enforced by private companies, and not by a centralized state.
    Furthermore, these rules are devised to protect benefits, money and certainly not some 'freedom for the masses'.

And the solution would be to go on a Russian server. Can you believe that? lol.

I'd say that since this american all-market all-money model is spreading accross the world, we'll see more and more problems of the kind. Censorship in market democracy is much more subtle. The way some would love to see the Internetz becoming a trade zone and nothing else is part of it.

imnsho ;)
  31. ARC Member

Censorship doesn't only stop the production of materials, but also the publication or transmission of the materials in a medium. For example, if you're in the military your letters will be censored by striking out any operational details which you put in your letter by mistake. Hubbard had this type of job in the Navy - he was an intelligence officer. And if you publish something in a newspaper and they remove part of it based on some policy, then that's a type of censorship as well - though the line between being an editor and a censor is kind of blurred in this case.

I want to point this out here, because if you think censorship only means the government stopping you from saying or writing things in private, then your definition is too narrow.

I agree with you on this though. If they don't want any fair use, then that's their choice to make.
  32. anon.il Member

We've had ALL of our Israeli raid videos pulled because of two videos that were taken from television - one was our subtitled version of Studio Friday's report on Scientology (regardless of the permission status from the copyrights owner - Vimeo doesnt want TV material period), and the other was an excerpt from a Scilon TV show about psychiatrists being the ones behind Al Quaeda (lolwut?).

We emailed them back and talked them into restoring our videos and they actually apologized for killing the entire channel right out blindly instead of just removing the problematic videos specifically.

We've also talked them into restoring the Studio Friday video for a couple of days to let us download a copy and edit the video link so that it will point to another hosting space. (check out Studio Friday: Scientology on Vimeo to see what we did)

All in all, stupid regulation is stupid, but the reason appears to be that they're afraid of getting bombarded with TV shows and lolsuits from media giants a la YouTube - Vimeo is trying to be an "elitist artist jerks" sort of a community and they're being pretty heavy handed about keeping it that way.

Still, keep in mind: They are friendly enough if you talk to them politely with a leveled head and dont charge them right off the bat. Fact: They did apologize and even allowed us to download a backup copy of the dead Studio Friday link, and gone as far as allow us to keep the original video page since we modified it to be a mere pointer to a new location.

This is more then you'll ever get from YouTube, I assure you.

... facepalm.jpg
  33. Herro Member

ARC your points are well taken. The issue for me here is that people are missing the point. I think this is a problem, but not because it's censorship or the CoS somehow controlling the internets. The issue, as you pointed out is portions of the internet increasingly operating for profit. The problem is, like it or not, Vimeo doesn't have to host anything they don't want to. If they don't want to host your videos on their servers, that's their right. Vimeo isn't telling you that you can't disseminate your video on the internet, they're telling you that they aren't going to allow you to use their property to do so.

To be honest, Vimeo taking down the videos is in and of itself an act of free expression, as the alternative would essentially be forcing them to host something on their servers that they don't want to.

Again, it's a problem, but it's not a censorship issue. It's an issue of the logic of consumer capitalism increasingly trying to spread throughout online communities, transforming them into centers of capitalistic production rather than having them exist as collaborative spaces of communal production and information sharing. What we need are protected spaces where we can host videos and we can spread information. Places protected from the creeping influence of capitalism.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that looking at this as an issue of censorship misses what is actually happening. We're still trying to sort out what is public and private on the internet. Obviously I'm in favor of increasing public control over internet infrastructure, but I do think that others still have the right to host what they want on their personal servers, and that's exactly what vimeo is doing.
  34. Anon-007 Member

That about says it all ;)
  35. Oswald2001 Member

It is not Vimeo's choice. It was made for Vimeo under duress by an Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult.

It's like saying a woman that is gang raped by 12 guys made a "choice" to have sex with them.

The Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult is controlling and deciding Vimeo's policies. Vimeo is not.

The Cult is like the Mafia and they have used legal intimidation, blackmail and duress to 'bust out' YouTube and, now, Vimeo.

That's why rutube.ru is best at this point in time.

Russian Gangsters are more than a match for Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult Gangsters.

CENSORSHIP is the suppression and/or elimination of information.

This is precisely what the Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult has done with YouTube and Vimeo.

There are plenty of ways to CENSOR. Directly or indirectly.

I'm surprised that the CENSORING ways of the Evil $pace Alien Mind Control Cult are not widely known in the public.
  36. Olrik Member

Vimeo's freedom of accepting copyrighted material is controled by the FEAR they have of the legal issues.
    Freedom limited by fear of some retaliation is not freedom... but censorship in its worst sense: you apply it all by yourself without even the need of any authority to enforce it.

I find it funny that many here do see the risks for freedom coming from governments or cults, while refusing to consider that it can also come from private companies thru trade rules.

BTW, you noticed that the cult used the same argument a private company would use to censor videos: the so-called copyright (which in practice is the ability to DENY any right lol).

There's no such a thing as freedom. Only degrees of freedom ever exist.
    "Land of freedom" is BS just the way The Bridge™ is.
  37. robbed Member

I just found this thread, having received the same email notification from Vimeo, with their ludicrous instruction to reply in a civil manner. However, they did not act in either a civil, professional or HONEST manner in removing my PAID Premium account when I most certainly did not violate any terms of service whatsoever.

Therefore, I am acting in a civilly responsible manner in warning any potential Vimeo customers.. BEWARE. You may lose your $$ along with your videos.

:mad:My videos contained nothing objectionable whatsoever and were suitable for any age group. They were focused on a botched facelift, showing before and after images and even fluoroscopic x-rays.. MY OWN medical records!
  38. Anonymous Member

This video site has been (so far) outside the $cilons evil grasp or influence:

rutube.ru
  39. Lorelei Member

I have had no problems with Zoopy, either. And it is in English. :)

Also, this particular thread is now shambling about demanding BRAAAAIIIIIINS. Necromancy: not for amateurs.