Customize

International Protest Tips

Discussion in 'Protest Advice' started by zzz, Jun 18, 2009.

1. zzz Member

The international community probably needs some guidelines to protests as well, so here goes. I know a lot of you are from Chanology, so if you have any protest tips, plz2b posting them as well if I didn't, and I'll update the OP.

KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE NOT INSTRUCTIONS FOR IRANIAN PROTESTS. The points made here are tailored for the protests taking place across the globe in support of the Iranian people.

- Wear clothing appropriate to your environment. I live in Florida, so I should probably wear something that breathes. Someone in Australia would want to wear layers right now, seeing as it's their autumn/winter. Keep up to date on the weather forecasts and bring jackets, umbrellas, etc as necessary. You might want to have these anyway if your weather is unpredictable.
    Also, sunscreen! Sunburns suck, prevent them with sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and scarves.

- Jewelry should be small and close to the body. Big dangly earrings and long necklaces need to stay home, as they can get caught on things easily or hinder your movement.

- Comfy shoes that either keep you warm in wet/cold environments, or breathe easily for the disgustingly hot ones. Cotton socks work best in either.

- Keep bottled water with you. Even when the weather is cold, protests can't take a lot out of you, whether you're marching or standing on a sidewalk. You might want to bring some snack food as well if you have blood sugar problems, along with your inhaler if you have asthma, etc.

- A small backpack/purse is good for keeping your ID, car keys, cell phone, camera, etc. It's also a good housing for your bottled water, asthma inhalers, or snack food. Keep it securely on your person at all times, and don't bring large amounts of money with you, just in case you get mugged or it gets stolen.

- If you're from out of whatever city you're protesting in, bring a map! Locals might not be that great at giving you directions to go home. Bring a pen, too, so you can keep track of your location.

- If you can, bring extra sign-making equipment. Yours could get damaged, or you might see a really catchy slogan. Works best if you're parked nearby.

- If there's a possibility of violence in your area, you really should have a camera of some kind on you, along with your cell phone. Having a recording of the perpetrator is something we've learned the hard way in Chanology.

- Along with the above, remember to practice Ghandi-tech. Peaceful protests are the best, even though you may be furious about the deaths taking place in Iran. Keep a level head, even if someone is saying horrid things.

- Tell someone who isn't going where you'll be in case things get bad and you're unable to call loved ones from your location.

Like I said, post other tips and I'll update the OP.
  2. Thanks for posting this, Z.
  3. zzz Member

I guess this could be thought of as the newfag guide for Project Greenwave, as this seems to be called.
  4. kldickson Member

International protesters, there is a need for you to stay safe. If you have been heavily contributing to the effort, there is a (VERY SLIM) chance that your personal information may have been leaked. At least one person has already been assaulted in the United States - they had rocks thrown at them.

If you attend a protest, be prepared to hide your identity if necessary. Carry sunglasses and a bandanna (DO NOT WEAR THEM UNLESS YOU NEED TO - YOU MAY BE SINGLED OUT AS A POLICE TARGET); dress for comfort and mobility.
  5. Runa Member

And of course, choose a muster point. Thart way, if the police breaks the protest, you have a new location to re unite and start marching again, check that no one's missing and the like.
  6. Be sure to tell someone you know who won't be coming to the protest where you'll be and when you'll expect to be back. If for some reason something might happen to you and you have no way to contact anyone they'll at least know something's up and start looking for you. Just remember to keep them updated if your plans change.
  7. in case things get bad, a good way to combat teargas is with bandannas soaked in vinegar. bring a few, they only last for a few minutes.
  8. Have just had very good conversation with Polish man who was part of resistance in '89. Lots of tactics techniques. Remember, these people brought down communism. Unfortunately, they involve overloading the power grids before the govt can shut them down to shut them off themselves. Only to be done once generators, fuel, and suppliles are there for them in surplus. Would mean cutting off most communication with outside, which I am very unsure about. We need time to think these things over.
  9. Non Violent Protest

Saw this. Thought I would share
    "What Now?...

Let us look at what we have, and where we are.

On the one side, we have the people. A people fed up and frustrated with Iies. A people fed up and frustrated by being harrassed by the Basij. A people fed up and frustrated by all the ills that plague Iran.

What we have now is will and the masses. For the first time in 30 years, people of all walks of life are realizing they're not alone and that they can do something about it. This is power!

On the other side, they have guns and professed piety.

Violence will only lead to more tragic deaths.

We are on the side of islam, not they, let us use it.

Many are demoralized, and while much harm has befallen the innocent the past week, it is also a moment of joy, where Iran has reasserted her identity in the face of oppression.

---

0) No violence! -- Remember, they have the guns!

1) Raise spirits and take back the initiative
    -- Demonstrations have been outlawed. Funerals have been outlawed.

Let us take to the parks. During these strikes - go out to the parks, enjoy what the country has to offer. Don't slogan. Don't chant. Enjoy freedom of space and freedom to know one another.

2) Don't let them claim Islam and cast you as a threat to their values

-- If out on the street, take a Koran with you. Tell and show the police how un-islamic it is to oppress their peaceful sisters and brothers. You are against Khamenei and Ahmadinejad, not against the religion of those (who happen to have the guns.) It is as much your religion as theirs!

Imagine the a photograph of a Basij pointing a gun at someone holding a Koran to their heart. The duplicity of the regime will be laid bare

3) Ridicule Ahmadinejad and Khamenei

-- Don't insult. Don't be crass. These two have said so many ridiculous things the past while. Humour is the best way to subvert their authority. Ridicule and make fun of their utter insanity.

Remember, you are befriending the baton wielding police. You are befriending those who think they may be doing the right thing. Communicate to them, communicate with them. They can be our allies.

4) Make friends, and be non violent.

-- People have a variety of grievances with government. It's not about one issue. We've come so far, even if we won't achieve what _you_ hoped for, a 30% improvement on what was 3 weeks ago, is still better than nothing!

5) If the first day of parks goes well. Do it again.

-- This time take more people (if safe, kids and grandparents?). Again, no vocal protest. No violence. Meet in parks all over the city. Have fun. Enjoy life. And perhaps agree, during the day - at the park - where to march afterwards, and towards the evening, try to demonstrate again.

-- Take the security forces out of their sphere of experience. Show our resilience. Show our determination."

Makes sense to me. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint!
    Oh and Regroup for Neda 20th June +40days
    Ya Neda
  10. zzz Member

Guys, remember - this is for the INTERNATIONAL protests, not the ones in Iran itself. The US, Britain, Europe, Canada, etc.
  11. ECHO that

But the international protests MUST mirror those inside Iran. Signs in Farsi rather than in English or whatever. Grow beards. Wear Hijabs!!! Indeed the photos should be indistinguishable from a similar scene in Tehran. Imaging the problems of Regime trying to identify protesters from anonymous and uncommented pictures when 90% are from abroad!
    Furthermore the time may come (alas) when the rest of the world has to the Protesting for them.

If there is a crackdown: we have to be the proxy crowd, or mob if necessary. An International Sea of Green to keep up public awareness.

Rather than indulge in Western style protest techniques we must model ourselves GLOBALLY on what the Iranians are doing or even what they want to do.

If Mir Hossein Mousavi (or a twitter proxy) says "go walk in the park" We do! ALL OVER THE WORLD. Kinda sends a message!

Remember this is a marathon not a sprint!
    Oh and Regroup for Neda 20th June +40days
    Ya Neda
  12. Their signs are in English a lot. They seem to like protesting in fitted short sleeve button up shirts, and designer jeans... The scarf the woman are wearing is called a Chador and is just a half circle of cloth... the "robe" is often called a Jilbaab in english... don't really know what it is in Persian or anything else.
  13. zzz Member

What are you talking about?

Generally, protests are not just to show support or unhappiness with something, but to inform. In English-speaking countries, driversby will just roll their eyes at a sign in Farsi. They don't know what it says, and if they don't understand it, they don't care.

Asking people to completely change their physical appearance for this is absurd. Yes, in Iran, that's a good idea. If you're unrecognizable, you can't be followed as easily. Elsewhere, telling people to grow a beard or wear long robes... well, it's just kind of silly, in my opinion.

Iranian-style protests won't happen in Western countries, sorry. It's not practical and it wouldn't help get public interest in the issue.
  14. clinton Member

Er, right. Several INCREDIBLY FUNDAMENTAL FLAWS here.

1) Signs in Farsi, where Europeans, Americans, Brits, whatever are looking at them, will cause confusion, and probably some other stuff too - but when people can't read the message, are they going to give a shit? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

2) Telling people to grow beards and wear hijabs is beyond stupid. If someone wants to protest, they shouldn't have to obey a dress code. It just won't happen.
    As an aside, it's not a GOOD reflection on Western society, but if a congregation looking like that formed in some streets the cops would get called.

3) At the end of the day, if people are protesting, it's their prerogative and their methodology that they will follow. It's inane to tell them otherwise.
  15. I must agree with this above..
  16. CupidStunts Member

Er... Is this a Protest Movement or What?

First thanx to the previous posters for my shiny new ThreadHandle!

Sorry to get seriously didactic on your collective a$$ here but...

1/ I think the people of the world are informed already, IMHO these demos are NOW about global solidarity ...and a regular 15 second soundbite once a week (if we are lucky!) Indeed case in point it seems people care more about MJ than Neda Soltani. Fickle. AND IMPORTANT if drivers can get by... you are not protesting right! Protesting on the sidewalk? Rilly! Vide Sweden and Switzerland OMG. See current events!
    2/ Long Robes??? Not my idea but hey... why not! Fancy Dress!! Absurdist street theatre!!! How about a few female mullahs. MAKE it FUN as well as reactionary. Sometimes "silly" gets you in the news!
    3/ I bow to your obvious expertise in thse matters. (Although it seems to me that the Iranians are adopting Western Style protest!) But I must be wrong as you say it will never happen. So as an expert in such things <zzz> how would you get public interest in the issue? Try to be constructive in these destructive times. IMHO protests are about PUBLICITY esp. in cultures with a 15 second attention span!

[Mods! Multiple quote facility wld B nice.}

1/ Confusion good! If people cannot understand... MAYBE it will make more of an impression. MAYBE they will ask. Alas: maybe in certain, narrow minded, self absorbed countries this may be true but most globally literate people will now be aware (or very soon should be aware) ...that a "Sea of Green" means "Freedom 4 Iran" Reversible signs in Farsi/ (local language) anyone! Not forgetting signs in Farsi would be legible to the occupants of the Iranian Embassies that we are blockading. (And in certain cases: vandalising!) Finally think globally. Signs in Farsi/ Arabic would be seen by audiences abroad maybe not now... but in times to come.
    For added fun and disinformation! Practice:
    "Marg-bar (insert anything you like here)!"

2/The beards and hijabs not just disinformation for the Regime to worry about! Is a highly visible sign of solidarity! But stupid is Good. Beyond Stupid even better: Dress code optional. This is about Freedom after all! But the fact is: THEY HAVE A DRESS CODE IN IRAN. "March a mile in their hijabs..." Inform yourselves whilst informing others... Girls time to get those false beards out! Guys have u worn a hijab. How about a chador? Or a burka? But hey, a line of Politically Incorrect 'babes' in green bikinis is just as good (and likely to get more airtime) esp. if you get your 15 sec to explain why you are wearing a bikini... And if the cops get called... Hurrah! You are protesting right! Remember to bring your cell phones and cameras peeps! Repression is everywhere!

3/ABSOLUTELY But...

(4) ULTIMATELY IT IS NOT ABOUT US. IT IS ABOUT THEM!
    20th June (+40 days)
    Ya Neda
  17. "Protest" will have to get more subtle and clever

Good ideas about using jokes and meeting for fun in parks.

What about a certain time each day either everyday or on one or two days a week? - everyone stand still for 1 or 2 or 5 minutes. A good time may be the evening when many people heading home from work, others could join them by going outside at the time.

It could be seen as a sign of respect for those who lost their lives, a sign that the country stands still and cannot move on with its present system, a sign of peaceful and passive but strong resistance. The silence could also represent the loss of voice, symbolic also of the death of Neda whose name meant "voice".

People could pull out a green handkerchief or something similar whilst standing in respectful silence.

Perhaps whilst staying still hold the Koran to ward off any basijis.

At same time cars could toot their horns in sympathy. The noise could be loud, widespread and intimidating reminder to the Ahmadinajad and Khamenei of their theft.

I saw a documentary from Thailand recently about how for a few minutes in the evening the country stops for the national anthem. Catholic countries like Ireland used to have something similar for the Angelus - a brief one minute time of silent prayer.

This idea came to me in a dream that I was a resident of Tehran and this was happening, I'm actually an Australian but moved by what I've seen as are all people of good will. Good luck to you all.
  18. zzz Member

In my own city, it's very few who even have any idea of what's going on in Iran. A general idea that there's, as they say, shit going down... but that there are innocent people being gunned down or jailed, that they're being stripped of their basic rights? Nobody has a clue.

Long robes in summertime, when one is not used to heat, or is sensitive to it? That's an idea that's going to get people hurt. Even if you are used to heat, long robes aren't going to help. They'll keep your body hot and quickly dehydrate you, leading to possible heat exhaustion, heat stroke, or extreme dehydration.

I'm no expert on protests, that's why this was built around generalized tips. However, ultimately, this is supposed to be helpful, not potentially harmful. It's also supposed to be legal. I didn't understand some of your post, but it seems like you're encouraging the protests to stop traffic? That's going to get people in trouble, and getting protesters thrown into jail isn't going to help any cause.
  19. Ray Murphy Member

That is already happening on a fairly large scale apparently.