Customize

Internet Explorer 9 fucking sucks ass!!!

Discussion in 'How To' started by Smurf, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

2. 11th Doctor Member

PSP Browser > All
  3. Anonymous Member

This may be cookie related, so here's how to clear your saved Yahoo cookies (You'll need to log back in to Yahoo afterwards, also within the Yahoo site any preferences you set will need to be redone):

Upon googling I also saw this:
    "Please RIGHT-click on the following link and select "Add to Bookmarks":

http://us.mc330.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome?ymv=0

You must use that link to continue to use Yahoo! Mail Classic. There is no way to permanently roll it back but as long as you use that link, you'll be able to access Yahoo! Mail Classic."

So this could be some prompting Yahoo is doing to encourage people to use their "NEW" Mail pages.
    That's just a guess because for emails I instead choose to use the stand-alone email client that can access Yahoo webmail within its own interface: Thunderbird (yes it's built on the same Mozilla core as Firefox) with the Lightning extension for calendars.

If you need more help you can get on to the Firefox live one-on-one help chat or IRC support channel
  4. Anonymous Member

Microsoft launched a site called yourbrowsermatters.org and right off the bat my first issue is that they did this under a .org banner. Which to most people means some nice non-profit is doing this, as that is what .org addresses are for. In my opinion, this is an attempt to hide the true backer of the site, Microsoft. Yesterday when this site showed up it had a nice Windows flag style icon on the bottom (today Oct-12-2011 this is gone). Unlike most Microsoft sites the Microsoft and Azure items are at the bottom and quite small. Nor does the methodology page (http://yourbrowsermatters.org/docs/methodology.pdf) mention Microsoft. The site does use a “Metro-style” interface and unless users are familiar that means little to them. As well the methodology doc has the same layout as many Microsoft docs, but yet again unless you are familiar I doubt one would notice this. So right off the bat this began to tickle my thinking.
    Also this site does not really test anything. It takes the User Agent string from the browser (which can be changed) and returns a pre-built answer for that string. How do I know, well I used the User Agent Switcher add-on for Firefox to try this out and just by switching this string I get different answers. So they could have just as easily just produced a chart that showed what they think the outcome is. Also keep in mind this is for Windows only, this does not give a score for other operating systems or OS protection models.
    My take

ghackes.net did a nice write up on this as well, since this covered some of this nicely I suggest you read the analysis there as I don’t want to be repetitive on certain aspects.
    So lets take a look at the whole criteria:
    Category:Dangerous Downloads

1. Does the browser help protect you from websites that are known to distribute socially engineered malware?
      • This is a rehash of the NSS Labs Socially Engineered Malware Report, on its face this is a semi-interesting report. but I think it’s also somewhat skewed. I am still working my way through all of this report, but my first concern is around making claims with fixed versions (Apple® Safari® 5, Google Chrome™ 12 , Windows® Internet Explorer® 9 Mozilla® Firefox® 4, Opera™ 11) used in the report but using that to infer about newer versions (namely Firefox 4 ≠Firefox 7 in capability). Our current rapid release process allows us to make all kinds of changes and using a static set to make an inference about something newer is just not something I can support.
      • Yes there are going to be differences between SmartScreen in Windows and StopBadware used by others, but to think they would be this large seems off to me, again I need to do more analysis of the methodology. Also why Firefox and Chrome would be so different in results when using the same list is something that bears more analysis.
    2. Does your browser provide a distinct warning when you download and application that is of higher risk but not yet confirmed as malware?
      • So no, Firefox does not have this capability today and we are looking into adding it. What is it? Well you take the hash of the file being downloaded and if it’s known to be a problem you tell the user, if you don’t know, you tell the user. This could be good for users if you actually know something or if they don’t really understand what they are downloading.
    Category: Phishing Sites
    1. Does the browser have a feature that can help protect you from phishing sites?
      • Everyone gets marks for this as we all have something, so lets move along.
    Category: Attack on your browser and its plug-ins
    1. Does the browser have the ability to restrict an extension or a plugin on a per site basis?
      • This is a point of contention, only IE gets points her. Our plugin model is directly comparable, and this is a relatively important feature. Practically speaking it’s only “more secure” if plugins default to OFF and you let users build up a whitelist which is NOT what IE does. Chrome sort of does (yes for Java, no for Flash). We definitely have a different extension model. Compare Greasemonkey, where each installed user script has a default list of sites/pages it applies to but the user can manage that list. Given that extensions and plugins are very different how does one really rate this?
    2. Does the browser have a system for auto updating browser extensions?
      • This is one spot where Chrome and Firefox have a feature that IE currently does not.
    Category: Effective Sandbox
    1. Does the browser process utilize Windows Protected Mode or implement a similar mechanism such that browser processes cannot modify parts of the system that it doesn’t have access to?
      • As far as I can tell this is a literal use of the Windows Protected Mode, and no Firefox is not using this today for a variety of reasons.
    2. Does the browser extend the sandbox such that it cannot read data from parts of the system that it doesn’t have access to?
      • See #1
    3. Does the browser benefit from Windows operating system features that protect against arbitrary data execution?
      • We do this, why this does not show up for some Firefox UA strings on this site I don’t know.
    4. Does the browser benefit from Windows operating system features that randomize the memory layout to make it harder for attackers to find their target?
      • See answer to 3.
    5. Does the browser benefit from Windows operating system features that protect against structured exception handling overwrite attacks
      • So according to to the criteria doc link for this one this is talking about /SAFESEH, odd we don’t get a tick here as we do this on our Windows builds.
    Category: Attacks on Websites
    1. Does the browser automatically block insecure content from secure (HTTPs) pages?
      • They are giving points for mixed content handling
    2. Does the browser filter out scripts on the client to help protect against Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) attacks?
      • I think I can concede on this one, even thought we do have this feature landing soon.
    3. Can the browser sanitize HTML to remove potentially problematic code?
      • They are giving points for their own ToStaticHTML API usage, we’ve looked at it but there is not agreement that this is the correct what to help protect from web developers doing potentially dangerous things.
    4. Does the browser have features that websites can take advantage of to help protect you from Cross Site Request Forgery attacks, also known as “Click Jacking”?
      • So we all get points for something that are 2 different things CSRF is not also known as Click Jacking, so this one just confuses me. In fact these 2 items require very different mitigations.
    Bottom Line

So if we look at the “output” no browser has a ”perfect” score, they all have things missing. The great disappointment here for me is this could have been a very good site to help encourage users who are on any older platform to pick a more modern one for safety; instead this has been warped into what I perceive as a marketing tool to promote IE. This was best said by Maxim on the browserupgrade@list.otalliance.org list

5. Anonymous Member

Smurf, did you work all this shit out or what?
  6. Smurf Member

I downloaded Firefox and it's a hell of alot better than IE. When I access my Yahoo! Mail, I still get the damn warning page I needed to upload one of the programs or skip... so I skip the page to get to my email.

It's a headache, but no big deal...
  7. Anonymous Member

That sounds like a good start!
  8. Strixcoil Moderator

Good to know that at least it was just a little bit solved.

You will become a fan of Firefox. Kind of annoying with the addons and stuff, but if you don't over saturate it, it would work just fine.
    (Also...refrain from adding persona. Shit looks nice but will probably make everything run slower)
    Just asking...did you tried to use Thunderbird for Yahoo? Maybe that can help just a bit. IMHO, no mandatory to try. <3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

Also, avoid Chrome, or any MS offering.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chipshotz Member

Agree with the +1 for Thunderbird. Give it a try Smurf.

Thunderbird
  11. Sonichu Moderator

Check Greasemonkey, they allow Firefox addons that can alter webpage viewing. I use one that kills all the stupid ads before videos.
  12. Kilia Member

I use personas all the time. Especially the ones by MaDonna. Presently I'm using a Harry Potter persona right now..no problem.
  13. bluebirds Member

ie has more security then most browsers and works fine just have to know how to config it is all. always a good idea to have a backup web browser anyways...firefox
  14. AnonSpectre Member

Any version of IE has always sucked balls. They have never excelled at anything apart from downloading another browser. Admittedly, IE9 may be a lot better than any previous version of IE but it still doesn't scratch Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, even Opera. I'd recommend using Mozilla, much better performance wise and good for letting you customize how you browse. Chrome crashed once and shut down my netbook to which it never turned back on, fast but wouldn't recommend.
  15. Anonymous Member

The SPDY variant over HTTP 1.1 that Google sites serve and Chrome uses is now included experimentally in Firefox 11 only when you go to about:config and filter for the network.http.spdy.enabled pref then double-click it to change the value to true
    This will become part of the standard of HTTP 2.0 in future.
  16. Actually one of the very best Windows versions (Not saying much, I know). As for Mac, I know it works for a lot of people, and I'm not knocking it, but i have always hated using any Apple product. They feel kludgey and dumbed-down to me (although that dumbed-down interface is why they sell so damn many of the things, so bravo to their marketing dept.).
    • Like Like x 1
  17. conatus Member

18. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  19. RoflCockter Member

SR Ware Iron > Firefox > Chrome > IE > no internet

proove me wrong
  20. Anonymous Member

How can omitting Opera in that line up ever be right?
  21. RoflCockter Member

never got on friendly terms with it really. hated ie got me FF, someone suggested a while back iron which is flatout the best performing browser i have ever seen. this is all my oppinion, if you decide to like opera go ahead and use it, i dont care ;)
  22. Anonymous Member

kittens > SR Ware Iron

[IMG]
    proof
    • Like Like x 1
  23. RoflCockter Member

I bow my head in shame /me bows
  24. i know this is late in the discussion but to the OP, all my problems are fixed by owning a mac ... i have a 2009 macbook, running OSX Lion and upgraded from 2 to 4 gb RAM... i run windows 7(not needed) through parallels, use firefox(not needed) for the windows, and safari for the mac, there is absolutely nothing wrong with lion to which someone posted about earlier, but he also said he only upgrades to newer versions, mountain lion just came out and seems amazing ... i'm not one of those "fan boys" that's telling you to convert or whatever, but if over the past 9 computers i've had over the years including a custom built pc causes me problems and quite frankly depression and the only solution is a mac which handles whatever i throw at it, i'd say it's more than a solution, integrate your email through "mail" which is an app already installed in the os... i use it like outlook, it works the same way, folders and such, all on your desktop, i use google for search and gmail for email... safari definitely wont screw up anything on your computer, anything in the emails, or the bookmarks ... no worries of java, flash blah blah to get the thing running ... every time you do a software update, all is included, i wouldn't lie to you, a switch changed my life and could yours as well, if your one of the many who hasn't even tried a mac before, don't take anyone's word for it, not even mine, the only thing you should trust me on is if you spend about a week's worth on the mac, getting used to the os etc, you'll know what to do ... :)
  25. anonymous612 Member

Oh this is beautiful. Thread necromancy on a thread from 2011 just so you can fangirl about how TOTES AWESUM your mac is.

Clearly owning a mac has not taught you anything about forum etiquette.

I laughed my ass off at:
    Too fucking funny.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. and this is why i don't like posting in forums ... let me make it simpler... pc's always have problems ... i recommend a mac because i no longer have problems ... is that better? and how is that funny ...
  27. by the way the whole totes awesome thing? i dont know where the whole fanboy fangirl hipster bullshit came out of ... if something works it works ... i dont see how owning a god damn computer that works better for you in the long run is a fucking trend ...
  28. if i have an anger problem ... owned several pc's they fuck up... i get pissed... what the use of one at all ... i got a mac ... no problems ... there is no "totes awsum" about it... everything i own is because it works the best for me... i'm, overall, happier...hence the reason why it would "change one's life"...
  29. anonymous612 Member

Lol. Four whining posts. What did I win?

Hey. Newfag. Shut up already. The only one who cares here is me, and that's just because I'm fucking bored.
  30. so this is how a forum works ... someone says something and if you don't have the exact same spot-on opinion that someone else does, they bash you for it... sorry that i'm bitching but when someone tells be something i do is a trend it pisses me off... "i'm going to watch this movie" "oh your one of those people"... my apologies...
  31. Anonymous Member

Because you're using the exact same wording that Scientologists use when talking about their cult.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  32. Anonymous Member

Macintologist
    • Funny Funny x 1
  33. "changing one's life"? why are we spotting trends AND symbolism is my post... i wasn't just going to put "get a mac" ... i was trying to explain why ...
  34. Anonymous Member

Upgrade to XP.
  35. as in windows XP?
  36. if so, can't do that... i already have windows on my mac for a CAD program i use for work and can't stand it ... i'm stuck here, but happy
  37. Anonymous Member

You are a Putz
  38. I approve of this thread niggamancy.
    Fuck Android.
    Bye.
    • Funny Funny x 1