Customize

Interview with Thomas Gandow

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by indeedindeed, Jun 13, 2008.

1. indeedindeed Member

Interview with Thomas Gandow

3Sat, interviewer was Gert Scobel. I think it would be good to translate it. It's older than a year, but still interesting, especially the stuff with Bulgaria and the former russian PM. Can anyone confirm these claims or state the sources? What does "Scientology-Absolvent" mean? Absolvent wovon genau? Very interesting statements.

transcript

2. Brogo Member

Re: Interview with Thomas Gandow

mh. "Absolvent" sounds kinda weird. i would think of it as a scilo who completed several courses, but i would definitely not translate it, because the term seems pretty wrong in that case.
  3. gandow Member

4. gandow Member

5. Brogo Member

oh ok. never heard of it before. imo you can never be a "Scientology-Absolvent" because i think there ae always new courses you can visit ;)
  6. We are Legion Member

The word absolvent means (in my definition and the way i use it) that the person completed a course. The fact that there are bazillions of other couses afterwards makes the word not inappropriate.

<german> Ich kann ja einen Kursus absolviert haben, trotzdem kann ich danach auf der VHS nen anderen beginnen und den auch noch absolvieren </german>
  7. Brogo Member

ich meinte damit auch speziell den ausdruck scientology-absolvent. er gefällt mir halt einfach nicht ;) kA wieso
  8. indeedindeed Member

Thanks a lot for your link to these articles. That's really fascinating and shocking. I had no idea that anyone with some Scientology background ever became PM in any country, in Russia even!

But it seems times have changed in Russia with regards to Scientology. And it really depends on the depth of his involvement, maybe he just fell for a front group and didn't enter too deep. Still it's unsettling to hear of this.

Do you know whether the "Hubbard College" still exists in moscow?
    And do you know where we may get more information on the connection of the bulgarian Academy of Science to Hubbard's texts?
  9. indeedindeed Member

first draft:

10. gandow Member

I would like to object the transaltion of "Absolvent" with "student".

Student is a defined term in scientology, meaning a scientologist.
    We do not know, if kirijenko is currently a student of scientology, but we know for sure, that he did at least scientology training which was so successfull, that he also send the staff of his bank to the scientology training.

BTW, he is now not out of politics. As fare as I remember, he is one out of the 10 "super-governors" in Russia, "plenipotentiary commissioners of the President" for big political and economical regions in Russia.
    TG
  11. indeedindeed Member

Fair enough.

How about "In Russia this happened: Someone who studied Scientology, Mr. Kirijenko, became Prime Minister for 100 days." instead? In this case the fixed expression may be avoided.
  12. gandow Member

No. He could have done that ("studied Scientology" at home.

No. he officially made a course and graduated (?) from it.

Therefore I said "Absolvent".
    The difficulty is, that we do not know, therefor we cannot say, he *is* a scientologist.
    But he made a sci-training.
  13. indeedindeed Member

I understand this. The problem is the translation and I was not aware that saying someone was a student of something implies he was a member of this, I thought it simply meant he had studied it.

Two new proposals:

"In Russia this happened: Someone who studied Scientology [at the Hubbard College in Moscow], Mr. Kirijenko, became Prime Minister for 100 days."

or

"In Russia this happened: Someone who had received Scientology training, Mr. Kirijenko, became Prime Minister for 100 days."

update: For now, I've chosen the second version.
  14. indeedindeed Member

Ok, if there are no further proposals or requests for change, I'll declare this finished one week from now if noone minds. If there are any please say so. Same holds true for the Norbert Potthoff translation - to find a link to this see the stickied thread "Translation Undertakings and Ressources".

update: done now and put into the thread Scientology&Germany in Education&Research
  15. gandow Member

Sorry, may be I am to late
    Could You please correct, change or mark by an *asterix, in the german and english version my remark about Bulgaria
    "Da werden Hubbard-Werke von der Akademie der Wissenschaften"

Please change into past
    They have done so years ago. I was there and saw about it
    But I do not know what they are doing *now*.

It is true that I said so, but it may not be correct today.

Thank You
    Thomas Gandow
  16. indeedindeed Member

I've added a remark in [ ], indicating that it may no longer be the case according to your statement. In the two texts here and also in the text at education&research.

* is called an asterisk, I think. Asterix was someone else :)