Customize

Iranian Maryam Mirzakhani, first woman to win mathematics' Fields medal, dies at 40

Discussion in 'News And Current Events' started by iraniam, Jul 15, 2017.

1. iraniam Member

2. Horrible that she died so young, of breast cancer.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ann O'Nymous Member

Many people die every day, in many ways. Sad, but true.
  4. You obviously missed the bit about her being the first woman to be awarded the Fields medal and her relatively young age, Ann. :(
    • Like Like x 3
  5. moxie Member

She really was a fine role model for young Iranian women. RIP. Breast cancer sucks.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. iraniam Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ann O'Nymous Member

Does it gives her a special right to live? Never heard of that.
  8. No, of course not. But you can surely see the sadness associated with the death of a gifted young woman might be more than that of, say, the death of a Ted Bundy or a Charles Manson.

Your comment struck me as cold - reminded me of a quote attributed to Miscavige after the death of Lisa McPherson - I'm sure you know the one I mean.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ann O'Nymous Member

You might appear cold by not showing compassion for all the other deaths. Focusing on tragic ones is up to you, but I see little interest in criticizing those who do not share your views on this.
  10. It does not follow that showing compassion for the one implies lack of compassion for the other(s), Ann. Rather, it is like the quality of mercy - 'It droppeth like the gentle rain from heaven
    Upon the place beneath'.

But sorrow is not the same thing as compassion, unless it is compassion for oneself, or for those who remain after the loss of the beloved.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. You can mourn the passing of a hero without shitting on other deaths. This woman was a hero.
  12. iraniam Member

Well said my friend. Well said.