Customize

IS Independent’s Day Weekend

Discussion in 'Independent Scientology' started by Kha Khan, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Kha Khan Member

IS Independent’s Day Weekend

Independent Scientology Independent’s Day Weekend.

I think the following is newsworthy and relevant to the subject matter of this board. Hence, the cross-post. YMMV.

From Marty's blog : Independent’s Day Weekend:
    ESMB Thread: IS Independent’s Day Weekend

/
  2. DeathHamster Member

Re: IS Independent’s Day Weekend

I'd been wondering if these sorts of family social events (with absolutely nothing to do with sales, regging, promotion or recruitment) go on inside CoS's orgs. Anyone?

It certainly sounds healthier than still being inside.
  3. Kha Khan Member

I've certainly known individual COS Scientologists who threw private parties with no sales, regging, promotion or recruitment; I've attended a few. But I've never known of an event held at a Church of Scientology or Mission that did not include sales, regging, promotion or recruitment, with the possible exceptions of maybe weddings or funerals.

So the question is, what is your point of comparison? If the IS event was nothing more than a private party, then it was no different than a private party a COS member might have. But if this IS event was more than a private party (and the use of the new IS banner and Starbuck enturbulation of Flag COS Sea Orgers suggest that it was), then it was an improvement over an official COS event.

/
  4. DeathHamster Member

I was mainly thinking of Christian churches, which frequently have a lot of auxiliary social events like picnics, dances, fund-raisers like bake-sales for charitable causes in addition to the main church activities. (Your church may vary.)

CoS superficially copied churchie type stuff in order to blend in and improve their religious cloaking. The "Sunday Service" is a sham, so I was wondering about other aspects like social activities.

I think they missed a trick with the lack of social activities. (I blame Hubbard who would have wondered how social events could make him money.) They promote tighter binding of the community, as well as chances for young people to meet someone of the matching sex within the church and non-staged low pressure events to invite outsiders like mainstream politicians to. (A fancy fake L. Ron Hubbard Humanitarian award ceremony could only fool the stupid, the vain or the desperate for recognition.)
  5. Smurf Member

I know he'll want to slap me up side the head for saying it, but the BEST part of that group photo is Tiziano.

Check out his Album Preview - particularly, "Love - Better Don't Take a Chance"

Tiziano Lugli 2.0

Just wanna jump his bones. Sorry, Jamie.
  6. Kha Khan Member

Very good observation. Then again, I would think so since I told them the same thing, years ago, when I was in. :)

One of the basic problems with Scientology as an entity in competition with other churches, religions, (often new age) therapies, and other groups is the short term focus driven, if not essentially mandated by, the weekly stat system applicable to lower orgs. It is difficult for them to invest in long term community building and forgo dunning people at this week's local event when stats are due at Thursday at 2:00 p.m. and Xenu help you if your stats are down that week. So to keep the stats from being down this week, you reg the hell out of everyone.

Let me tell you brief story. The ED of my Class V Org was a sharp woman. She tried to build bridges to the local community. To that end, at Christmas time she set up a box for a new toy drive, with the toys to be donated to a local Christian church that did child care, provided meals, etc. Even leaving aside issues of morality, ethics, compassion and charity, it was truly a smart idea from the standpoint of COS and local org self-interest. I was the only person to contribute a toy. Indeed, I wound up contributing several to make up for the embarrassing deficit. I tried to convince others, but no go. They just didn't get it. The assigned Sea Orger and visiting mid-management didn't get it, and were suspicious, but didn't think they could stop her at that point. After all, if someone spent money on a toy for a needy child who received meals at another church, they couldn't spend that money on the latest release. If you bought a LRH children's dictionary for the kid, that was great. If you wanted to get a toy the kid actually might want and appreciate....

It is bad enough being greedy. It is another to be greedy and stupid.

/
  7. Anonymous Member

schism, schism baby
    twofold, twofold...
  8. eddieVroom Member

Nice logo on the banner, but they need a better artist, and one who's familiar with the style of mystery school symbolism.

horse_test.jpg
  9. DeathHamster Member

And thus they are doomed.

The description of the IS event still sounds a little too Big Win, but give them time.
  10. anonymous612 Member

Lol ego. Downtown Clearwater is never "abuzz."
  11. incog712 Member

Along with the insouciance, the abuzz was unrelentless.
  12. Anonymous Member

Wonder if he was offered a discount on Independent Auditing...
  13. Anonymous Member

Lol at how some anons bash the "indies" as irrelevant, in light of:

- their shindig being as large or larger than the recent anon regional events
    - Marty's whitewashing failure of a blog, alone, gets about as much traffic as WWP.
  14. Anonymous Member

dox?
  15. Bipolart Member

Oh, all the Scilons like banners! I have noticed that signs and banners are a very bfd to them. And balloons. And slapping. And punching. And lying.
    Independent or not, we all love a good banner.
  16. Anonymous Member

A clever Anon relabeled the "Independent Scientologists" as "Co-Dependent Scientologists" and this entry on Marty's blog just clarifies that for me.

Whoever wrote it (Christie? Mike? Both? :shudder:) is still very much into "selling it" hard. Hope the fog clears sooner than later, but when you're surrounded by a bunch of cheerleaders, it's hard not to catch the fever.
  17. Anonymous Member

2010independentsday1.jpg
  18. Anonymous Member

Lol at how some indies bash anons via anon posting.
  19. Anonymous Member

Mike & Christie have alot to celebrate.

Case: 522010DR006332 - Dissolution of Marriage (Pinellas County Courthouse)
    Filed: 05/20/10

COLLBRAN, CHRISTIE JUNE vs. COLLBRAN, CHRISTOPHER GEORGE

** In her divorce case, she's listed as Christie June. In other civil cases where she's been sued, she's listed as Christie King Collbran & Christie Gabrielle Collbran).
  20. Kha Khan Member

I wonder if there will be a post about another Independent Scientology wedding -- i.e., Mike and Christie?

/
  21. JohnnyRUClear Member

Excellent insights.

Exactly what I was thinking as I waded through all that insouciant, independent, abuzz theta.

inb4indiescanhazatartan
  22. eddieVroom Member

Maybe they had those Venezauuvula thingies?...
  23. RightOn Member

agreed Smurf!
    YUM!
    Tiziano puts me in a tizzy!
  24. Scatman Member

Define "regional events". Present the traffic documentation on download traffic for WWP and Marty's blog within the same time frame. Can't? Then, STFU.
  25. Anonymous Member

What would be hilarious is if the Independents got a permit to close L Ron Hubbard Way so they could hold their celebrations. :-D They could invite all the residents and refuse all the scilons access.
  26. HellRazor Member

There's apparently a lot of that in Toronto...

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media/lrhs-highest-honor-canadians-xii-prize-philanthropy-68155/
  27. Sam Urai Member

Some of us question how relevant the "indies" can be in light of their ongoing dedication to the con of L. Ron. Though it does seem as though their message is reaching those still inside COS and is apparently a safe enough one for those wanting to leave to embrace.

Because of their previous positions within the hierarchy of COS, the "independants" also serve as credible sources of information to the media, in spite of most of them being certifiable.

The real credit (or blame, if you prefer) for the rise of the indies belongs to Anonymous; Marty, of course, was out for years before he decided to take advantage of the playing field that Anon had painstakingly leveled for him and the other exes.

I personally see the indie movement as the lulziest of Anon's creations, unintentional though that may be.
  28. Kha Khan Member

/

What hath Anonymous wrought?

/
  29. Anonymous Member

The usage is older than Marty implies. Decades older in fact.

What will be interesting, though, is if the CofS fights Marty's use of the word Scientologist effectively. It's always been an ancillary term in other groups for obvious trademark reasons.
  30. anonohio Member

I think what makes other groups so powerful is their ability to form small group community for it's sake alone, without any ulterior motives like trolling for money, etc etc etc
  31. eddieVroom Member

32. xenubarb Member

"unrelentless insouciance" lolwas...
  33. Anonymous Member

They need chairs.
    champagnechairs.jpg
  34. Anonymous Member

I just read the thread, no one above your post mentions relevance of the martyologists until you mention it. Hmmm.

Regarding Relevancy:
    Of course they have relevance, no one here is denying that....just exactly how relevant and in what way they will be relevant remains to be seen.

Others have stated this before and for me it makes the most sense: I view the independents the way Patton viewed the Russians during and after WWII. For now, they are fine to do their job = get people out of the cult, keep Scientology busy fighting a war on 2 fronts.

After we finish off the RTC, well....keep in mind that after Germany surrendered, Patton wanted to go ahead and take on Russia and remove them from being a power center in Europe. I don't see a General Eisenhower around these parts to hold anonymous back the way he did with Patton (should it be necessary). You might take that as a veiled threat? Go word clear "veiled" and get back to me.

Regarding Size of Events:
    Really. It's kind of pathetic that you would see this as relevant or particularly impressive. Wow, a bunch of adults with jobs and incomes (generally) find it easier to travel than young people (mostly) with limited budgets, etc. Keep thinking this point matters. Meanwhile, Anons will keep shutting down orgs with one single brave anon and a camera.

Regarding Traffic Stats:

You shouldn't post facts that are not, well, factual. Not sure what world you live in or who you are, but consider these facts:

Alexa Traffic Rank

WWP: 42,865
    marty's freak show: 82,748

Do the math. This may help: Learning to Add & Subtract

Dox:
    Whyweprotest.net Site Info
    Markrathbun.wordpress.com Site Info

So, you made three pithy statements in your lame post, and they are all incorrect. Don't be discouraged, you'll do better next time. <pats on head>

Most important point made on this subject in a while.

inb4ijustgottrolled
  35. Anonymous Member

Photo has been cleaned up to show the face of the previously fazed out dude:

indie-group.jpg
  36. thetanic Member

No -- new guy has no hat and is wearing a different-colored shirt and is at a slightly different angle.

Edited to add pic after someone on ESMB disagreed with me:

marty-indie-party.jpg
  37. thetanic Member

Panda Termint on ESMB has pointed out some other anomalies (like the slightly different position in upper-right-guy -- in my clips -- being in a different position), so it looks like it may not be a shoop per se but rather an entirely different photo with one person swapped out.
  38. JohnnyRUClear Member

Who can say how many they've swapped out?
  39. anonymous612 Member

And of course there's always the consideration that we only need a single anon and a camera to shut down an org, and somehow with the FZ's piles and piles of available bodies they just can't seem to manage to achieve the same success rate. Keep your numbers, I prefer competence.
  40. Anonymous Member

Was it likely a poster would have referred to Marty's site as a &quot;whitewashing failure of a blog&quot; if they were an indie? Or are you just that hasty to slap the [strike]OSA[/strike] indie label on (as if it even matters)?

I'm talking about the regional anon gatherings in 2010: LA, Boston, London. Seems this indie event had about as many people.

You're using a comparative traffic rank number, which makes the gap look bigger than it actually is, because there are a lot of sites clustered around the Marty/WWP level in total traffic. Here are the % of people being reached by each site.

10xwuom.png

Marty's site is lower, but it's roughly in the same neighborhood, or close to it. Actually, if you look back farther, you'll see the numbers are converging. I think that might have something to do with Chanology being the fastest-shrinking activist (un-)group in the world, though.

On the contrary, people dispute that all the time here. Some posts on this board cover the spectrum from saying the indies' numbers are small (&quot;the FZ is just a small handful of lunatics&quot;) to inept (&quot;the indies can't do anything about the CoS&quot;). You don't even have to look outside this thread for those sorts of sentiments.

The correct response was to get all defensive and start trying to justify how much more awesome and &quot;effective&quot; Chanology is than the indies. Good job.