Customize

Is it ok to mock religion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Jacobsen, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Jeff Jacobsen Member

http://ioc.sagepub.com/content/42/4/56.full.pdf html

" think there are several key elements
    we can glimpse in the mists of pre-history
    that have helped define the way we are
    now, and which turn things on their head.
    Maybe it’s not so much that God is not
    mocked, but that God has been created
    as something so unimaginably vast and
    terrifying simply to stop the mockery and
    terrorise the mockers into silence and obe
    -
    dience; that things are deemed sacred – in
    the same way as other things are deemed
    to be taboo – because in all other circum
    -
    stances they’d be ridiculous.
    We still live with this legacy.
  2. Anonylemmi Member

Define "ok". I am quite willing to mock religion. Others may be more "politically correct" and appease the superstitious dupes.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. fishypants Moderator

It's positively encouraged.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. If you believe in something, you should base on evidence or the development of it. Or, you can't even buy the right pants online.
  5. Kaile Member

gentle mocking

e5OHU.jpg
    SwoJ3jS.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  6. fishypants Moderator

• Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OTeleventy Member

Is it okay to mock religion. Yes. Echoing fishypants, I would also suggest it is encouraged. Maybe even required.

However, is it okay to mock the religious? Hmm. Personal choice, there, I guess, and depends on the level of troll hardwired into your personality.
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Hugh Bris Member

well, someone mocked it up, so we may as well mock it, too
  9. fishypants Moderator

Oh, yes.

If they actually do good things - e.g. I'm thinking of Mahatma Gandhi or Archbishop Desmond Tutu - then IMO they're above mockery (they don't deserve to be mocked, and it doesn't make any difference if you do) but if they just believe they're better than other people because they think their religious beliefs are the best then puncturing their self-centred pompous self-important vacuous self-righteousness is a positive obligation.
    • Like Like x 5
  10. I'm a joker and degrader no matter the system. I don't care if you believe in a god, which god you believe in or if you are a stone athiest, I will mock you.I will especially mock you if you think your religion excludes certain people, makes you superior to certain people or guarantees you a place in 'heaven' to the exclusion of everyone else. Double mockery awarded for 'spiritual warfare' and actual physical threat against non-believers.

For the record, I also mock myself and whatever spirituality I possess. I had a religious experience watching Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' back when I was a kid. I'm fucked up.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Cults are mocked up by the major religions from time to time to divert attention. If you can knock down the Catholics or the Presbyterian Church (I'm an equal opportunists), what cult can survive?
  12. OTeleventy Member

I guess I was thinking more about some of my religious friends who, at least to me, don't pull the sanctimonious bullshit, but actually seem to come from the place of "it gives me peace." I say, don't piss in my yard and I won't piss in yours. Knowhatimean?

The talibangicals, however, are fair game.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. fishypants Moderator

IMO the way a 'system' (whether religious or secular) responds to jokes about it is rather telling.

Scientology's extreme defensiveness certainly hasn't won them many friends or admirers.

An over-reaction to jokes or criticism makes a 'system' seem totalitarian in itself - e.g. how many North Koreans get to make jokes about North Korea? Only in very hushed tones among very close friends, I'm guessing.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. fishypants Moderator

Yeah, that's fair enough.

I get annoyed when people try to convert me, or assert their the moral superiority of their own religion. But if they leave me alone, I generally leave them alone.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. fishypants Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  16. I agree. Humor is an interesting test. The ones who try to shut that down are very suspect.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. OTeleventy Member

Scientology can fix that....

[Heh. And no you're not.]
    • Like Like x 3
  18. My grandmother was devout. She was a nurse, who into her nineties was visiting and volunteering with geriatrics.

I never once heard about religion from her. She never talked, testified, or witnessed. She just walked the walk.

The one who just 'are' and don't try to convert or recruit (or just fag up every conversation because they have to let you know something about their religion) are IMO not even worth poking. Much of the humor stems from hypocrisy, and they have much less to poke at.
    • Like Like x 4
  19. fishypants Moderator

• Like Like x 7
  20. So my love of Figs (preferably dried mission extra fancy) is an abomination?

RIGHT ON!
    • Like Like x 2
  21. CarterUSP Member

I am very pro free speech.
    I am also a Bible believing Christian.
    I may not like being mocked but I would never attempt to deny someone else's right to mock me or my beliefs, even if they're being a real douche. Ignore them, yes. Debate with them, maybe. But baawww and protest, no.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. fishypants Moderator

23. fishypants Moderator

What the fuck does that even mean?
  24. System Member

i do it anyways, i can find flaws in most of all the main world religions but at the same time i respect the persons right to believe in what they want as it's a human right. if they are a person that tries to shove there religon down other people throat (most "Christians")....gloves off i dont hold back on the words i say
    • Like Like x 1
  25. And I would never mock you for being who you are, just like I'm sure you would never burn me at the stake for 'heresy'.

I think the Sermon on the Mount is sublime, and occasionally I flirt with Dickian Gnosis.

It's all good. You are not the droids we are looking for.;)
    • Like Like x 1
  26. CarterUSP Member

I thought it was fairly self explanatory. Which word is giving you trouble?
    • Like Like x 2
  27. System Member

not all christians believe in everything in the bible. think some parts are not true, never happened etc etc. he thinks the bible is 100% true
  28. fishypants Moderator

Well, I was going to respond more, erm, assertively, but then I though that perhaps I had misinterpreted you and you didn't mean that you and your brand of Christianity were morally superior to other kinds of Christians, who by implication are not 'bible believing'.

But if you want me to go with my initial reaction then I can do that.
  29. What is your stance on gays ? Sodom and that other place ?

I am Dutch by the way, we have Putins Panties in a twist over that it seems

a non comment is okay
    • Like Like x 1
  30. fishypants Moderator

He doesn't - he's covered this on previous threads. The physically impossible or ridiculous bits are "metaphorically true" according to CUSP, if I remember correctly.

Real fundamentalism is pure logic-defying reason-defying fact-defying doublethink - usually paired with really serious bigotry.
  31. Even the pope has his own toughts about that

32. Okay now we all have to be our better selfs and accept Christians that want to protest the Church of Scientrollogy
  33. CarterUSP Member

Okay. May I politely suggest that you're brought some assumptions to the party with terms like "morally superior". Again, respectfully, every one of us will choose whatever belief or viewpoint we consider to be best, so anyone will consider their own views to be superior or more logical or something. If any of us considered a belief to be superior to our own then surely we would take it on for ourself?
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Stream

photo.jpg
    Ria McCormick

1 week geleden

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, (sounds like a video game: lol) it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
    1 Corinthians 6:1-6 We Judge the world. We judge angels. If you have disputes, appoint

Beantwoorden
    ·
    cleardot.gif
    cleardot.gif
    photo.jpg
    Rita McCormick

1 week geleden

Romans 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another, men with men, working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense for their error which was meet.
    Granted this whole chapter is concerned with marriage, idols, wrong behavior but also
  35. I would hope that anyone who was a regular here would be past homophobia. Gender and homophobia are two sticking points I have with anyone's belief system.

Homophobics will get such a pinch!
  36. I love this Bitch to death:

• Like Like x 1