Customize

Is Stanley Clarke back in???

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by Sarcasmo, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Sarcasmo Member

I just watched an IAS promo video posted less than two months ago on YouTube (IAS 2012 now welcomes black people) and in additon to the usual non-celebrity, celebrity performers there were the few recognizable ones. I saw Chick Corea play a little piano and then was unpleasantly astonished when I saw who I thought to be Stanley Clarke on acoustic bass. At the end of the video they listed credits in the form of named polaroids, and sure enough it was Stanley Clarke.

As a teenaged progressive jazz geek in the days of vinyl, those "thanks to LRH" statements on the back covers of his, Chick's, and RTF albums was what got me interested in $cientology in the first place. I always thought that Stanley had left way back in the early 80's (if not sooner), and have read threads on this site that state his leaving RTF had something to do with his leaving $cientology. I can't see how someone who has been out for around 30 years could get back in. I never heard anything about Stanley being a critic and just figured he was one of those ex-Scilons who didn't want the hassles that go along with being a critic. Does anyone have any info?
  2. Anonymous Member

this was already discussed in another thread
    too lazy to look for it
  3. Sarcasmo Member

As mentioned, I did read other threads, way back. Apparently not ones posted in the last month and a half. Read the linked article where Stanley talks about Scientology. Sounds as if he never left, which contradicts the past posts I read stating his leaving was one of the reasons for RTF breaking up. Previous online searches imply that he's been out for years. Apparently you can't believe everything you read on the interweb.
  4. Anonymous Member

He never left.
    Also: The whole membership thing is a little more flexible when it comes to celebrities.
  5. Anonymous Member

http://www.examiner.com/article/q-a-with-stanley-clarke-on-his-60th-birthday-celebration-part-3-of-3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Forever

I like how this excerpt from the Wikipedia page on Corea's fusion band Return to Forever is worded:

"...in 1972, after having become a disciple of Scientology, Corea decided that he wanted to better "communicate" with the audience. This essentially translated into his performing a more popularly accessible style of music, since avant-garde jazz enjoyed a relatively small audience."

How about this instead:

"...in 1972, having allowed himself to become sucked into the world's most expensive cult, he needed to sell a whole lot more records in order to meet the cult's outrageous demands. By 1976, he had finally succeeded in blending smooth jazz and disco."
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Daverator Member

Nice unattributed Hubtard quote on his web page: http://roxboroentertainment.com/roxboro

The page looks like one of those build-it-yourself things from a template. Cash must be tight at Roxboro.
  8. JohnnyRUClear Member

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Come on, Stanley. Use your head.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. anonysamvines Member

he can't! when he sent his brains to the IAS for laundering, they came back with loose threads and buttons missing
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

I just noticed that Chick made number 20 on this list:

30 More Men Who Look Like Old Lesbians | Cracked.com

www.cracked.com/article_17002_30-more-men-who-look-like-old-lesbians.html
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. RTF came around here about a year ago. Jean-Luc Ponty and another player I like (can't recall right now, need coffee) was with them, but I couldn't mentally get over the fact that I would be giving money indirectly or otherwise to sci via Chick.

My dad was a jazz fan (CTI for the win!) but I remember getting a Corea album for him at one point and his polite response. I don't know if it was because he knew Corea was a sci or if he knew the album sucked balls (it did, it was pretentious twaddle. 'The Mad Hatter', if anyone is interested in torture) but I've always felt slightly guilty about gifting him with it. Shoulda gone with Keith Jarrett. Or Freddie Hubbard's 'Red Clay'.

Besides, the greatest modern jazz keyboardist is Herbie Hancock. Nuff said.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

Or anything on Manfred Eicher's ECM Records label - great music with exceptional production.

Oh well. You meant well, and he knew it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tourniquet Member

Anything from the Billy Cobham catalog ;)
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

Overdubbed version:

Anything from the pre-disco-era Billy Cobham catalog - preferably Spectrum, Crosswinds, or Total Eclipse
    • Like Like x 1
  15. New names to me, will be looking.

I look for producers and companies as much as artists.

Who else beside Jarrett was on ECM? (on edit: I think you answered me already, thanks)

The Koln Concert has been one of my desert island records since I was a teenager.
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

17. Now, I'm all googling and have forgotten my manners.

Thank You. Been looking for some new tunes. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Tourniquet Member

Couldn't find a video version with Mr. Cobham, but this^ is his tune.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

Some Skunk Funk was written by Randy Brecker, and first recorded by the Brecker Brothers, and later by Billy Cobham on his solo album A Funky Thide Of Sings, in 1975.

Here's Cobham's first solo album, Spectrum.

Spectrum is one of those albums that changed music, profoundly influencing not only drummers but musicians and jazz fans worldwide. As you listen to Cobham's brilliant, unprecedented, truly dominant drumming, and the face-scarring guitar riffs from the late, great Tommy Bolin, remember that this was recorded back in 1973.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_(Billy_Cobham_album)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Mmm, Jezz. Nice.

Vid related (WARNING: Clam on bass) ;)

21. The Wrong Guy Member

Stanley Clarke turns out to be as deep into Scientology as we feared, all these years later

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, August 16, 2018

Quote:

From time to time we’re asked if famous jazz bassist Stanley Clarke is still involved in Scientology (and the person asking is usually hoping we’ll say no). For a while there, we hadn’t seen Stanley showing much involvement in the organization, and so we weren’t sure what to say. But then, ten days ago, we put up a three-year-old Scientology music video that clearly showed Clarke taking part, and so we pointed out he’s at least still in it to a certain extent.

But then a tipster sent us this article, showing that Clarke is still so gung-ho he showed up on the cover of Scientology’s ‘Celebrity’ magazine earlier this year. Ah, what a shame.

We thought you’d like to see the piece, which is rather more tepid than the article about Laura Prepon that caused a stir three years ago.

“Stanley is training as an auditor and is a frequent presence at Celebrity Centre,” the article says. And, “It was Chick Corea who originally introduced Stanley to the Scientology technology that helps creators of all kinds.”

We also found this interesting: “When asked to identify the three most important courses and rundowns he’s done so far, he named the Student Hat, the PTS/SP Course and the Survival Rundown.”

That’s certainly what Scientology leader David Miscavige wants to hear. Miscavige has been pushing low-level courses like Student Hat and the Survival Rundown on his followers in recent years and Stanley dutifully complies, even though the SRD is made up of the “Objectives,” grueling and mindless exercises that can take hundreds of hours of touching walls and other objects until the brain melts.

It’s interesting that Stanley follows the Miscavige agenda of pushing these low-level courses and doesn’t mention the high-level “OT” auditing he did in the 1970s, which would have supposedly given him superhuman powers.

And it’s funny to think that Stanley digs the PTS/SP course so he can “shatter suppression” from people who are opposed to Scientology.

“The creative flow is a powerful flow. If you’re not trained to understand some of the negative flows that can come into an artist’s environment, it’s almost impossible to handle them causatively,” he says.

So watch out, SPs, Stanley Clarke has your number, and if you try to bring around your negative flows to one of his concerts, he’s going to shatter you with his L. Ron Hubbard tech.

Continued here: https://tonyortega.org/2018/08/16/s...ientology-as-we-feared-all-these-years-later/

There's a related thread here:

Chick Corea and Scientology
    https://whyweprotest.net/threads/chick-corea-and-scientology.3650/