Customize

Islamic Republic of Rape

Discussion in 'News And Current Events' started by Unregistered, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Coyote-IRAN Member

2. theali Member

A Protester's Purported Account of Rape in Detention

A Protester's Purported Account of Rape in Detention - larasetrakian
  3. Coyote-IRAN Member

I'm warning you before you listen to this, it is really bad. They disabled the video and only included the audio, to protect the dignity of the victim, but the sound is bad even by itself. It is going to fuck with you, so be warned.

4. Is this the same one that was posted on YouTube a few weeks ago, but taken down (I'm presuming they just removed the video portion)...?
  5. Yes, it is the same one, and the video is now removed. The audio is bad enough.

Too bad they can't hack into Iranian television and broadcast this for the whole country to hear. They need to pull their heads out of their asses and acknowledge reality.
  6. First Aid for Rape Victims

I've seen many pieces circulated on first aid for injuries from being beaten up, shot, etc. Can any of us find information on First Aid for Rape Victims, both physical and emotional? Info on preventing pregnancy, STD's, medical treatment needed, AND information on combating PTSD?

Also, comprehensive information to combat the stigma?

I will look and if I find anything will post. Anyone else who can do the same, would be performing an important but seemingly forgotten service.

I know rape is something that many don't like to really deal with. But it is happening and the victims are here and need our 100% love, support, assistance and inclusion.

My prayers are with all these innocent victims, my heart goes out to them.
  7. One can only hope and pray that this has gotten to Ali Larijani, and that he is as sparrowhawk thinks he is. And that some of the basiji are identifiable in the video...
  8. i'm not even going to click on that one video, not because i doubt its veracity, but because i'm horrified enough that such evidence even exists. D:
  9. jadt65 Member

I work w/ sexual survivors. as well as emotional trauma. If it would help I can put together a practical list of minimizing the emotional effects of trauma. I can do it in list format so it is "tweetable." I can do this in English it someone can do the Fasri translation let me know.

FYI-I am trying to stay off twitter due to some funk from there that got through my firewall, so if someone will need to tweet.
  10. ^for both the survivor and friends & family of survivors, i meant to add.

english-subtitled version of the video i posted earlier:

11. jadt65 Member

I know unregs mean well & it is only natural to try to help, but things like rape, abuse, torture are complex issues. I have worked w/too many survivors who have read things & then have more issues because they are not responding like the other people.

from RAINN

I am willing to put together a triage list in tweet-ready form...I would like for someone of Iranian/ Middle Eastern descent to proof to make sure the information fits culturally.
  12. The dialogue of how to support these people must happen

Providing links to credible organizations that deal professionally with these matters is a starting point around dialogue of trying to support these victims. So many times it is easier to "not deal with it" or depersonalize it, such as just talking and bemoaning the fact that it happens, but never in a personal way trying to get involved to help the victims.. So, yes, we do mean well. I'm going to pretend not to notice your patronizing tone.

If you are involved professionally in this field, then great, you can help. Nobody here is trying to say anybody "has" to deal with it a certain way. This is about getting information out there for the victims and those who are closest to them to pick the information that helps them the most. And to encourage them to get help and not sweep their needs under the rug due to stigma.
  13. sp4rrowh4wk Member

i will tweet.

these people must have a speaker and Karoubi is doing enough. i do not have time/adequate equipment to translate (my computer seriously crippled in 2d week of protests, not send email either), and there is, quite simply, no cultural context of which i am aware. save one of horror, and all the various overtones a word like 'shame' is unable to convey. medical terminology, and/or straightforward talk, will suffice.

if no one can translate in a timely manner, i will use google translate, or ask Iranbaan for assistance in RTing. she, as translator, will be able to provide some cultural context of which i may not be aware.

by timely manner, i mean i am willing to continue without sleep and proceed immediately.

thank you very much for compiling this information and assistance. please post here or on my thread, where i will be certain to see it.
  14. theali Member

15. jadt65 Member

I have been working with survivors for close to 20yrs, both adults & children, domestically & internationally.

I apologize if I sounded condescending. I have spent too many therapy hours to undo the damage w/ people who "read something," misread/misinterpreted it and compounded the trauma, so this is a bit of a touchy subject for me.

Triage for emotional trauma resulting from abuse

1. It is normal to feel "numb" or to have mood swings. It is important for family, friends & loved ones not to criticize.
    Pay attention for signs of self-harm or aggression toward others. If a survivor seems suicidal or homicidal, seek professional help immediately

2. It is important for family, loved ones, & friends to let the survivor know he/she is not alone and they are there to support the survivor.

3. One of the psychic injuries of rape, torture and/or trauma is a lack of control. Allow the survivor to do as much as he/she is able and wants to do.Listen if they want to talk, but do not push for information. This helps decrease anxiety & assists in regaining a sense of control.

4. It is crucial to get professional help as soon as possible from someone trained in providing treatment to survivors. The closer in time treatment starts, the less severe the long-term aspects. For physical & sexual abuse immediate medical attention is crucial.

5. Be aware of "masking," a far away, blank expression with survivors....this is an indicator of "flashbacks" or disassociation ( becoming unaware of the environment but still able to speak, act, ect). If observed, using a "mantra" (repeated meaningful word, ex. safe. home) & gently touching the person(if they are not reactive to touch) or maintain eye contact will help keep the person in the here & now."

6. Nightmares & sleepwalking-Do not wake the person. Try to guide them back to bed. Monitor to prevent injury.

7. It is common for a person to feel fine & not show any symptoms for 6-12 months after the last abuse incident, & then show symptoms (crying, lack of sleep, anxiety attacks). This is part of the reason immediate treatment is crucial...it prevents the development of symptoms.

I will add to this list in a little while.
  16. sp4rrowh4wk Member

thank you, jadt65. we should probably compile all your posts when you are finished, and make single long post/thread which hopefully will be stickied. i may then tweet a link each day to that thread.
  17. jadt65 Member

@sp4rrowhawk

Your welcome. Will child specific information be helpful? Also please correct me if there is anything that does not fit culturally. It has been awhile since I have had clients from your part of the world. Thanks!
  18. sp4rrowh4wk Member

please do include child specific information. it is an a terrible reality which we might as well address here, also. my connection comes and goes, this may take longer than we anticipate. i am with friends, however, and their coffee maker is up to this morning's task. :)
  19. jadt65 Member

Emotional Triage continued

8. Many times the thoughts and feelings of the abuse are too strong for words. It is helpful for the survivor to write, draw, read poetry, sculpt, paint or create to to let go of these emotions. It also helps the survivor in gaining a sense of control.

9. The survivor might emotional distance him/herself from loved ones & friends. This is similar to a cast for a broken bone. While respecting the individual's space, be there for them....sit in silence with them, eat meals together, walk together. This provides the survivor w/ a sense of belonging and security.

10. Remember, if the person is alive and away from the one who inflicted the abuse...the person is no longer a victim, the are a survivor who is recovering from the abuse.
    Caregivers & friends should avid expressions of pity....express admiration for the strength, courage, creativity is took for the person to survive the abuse.

11. Avoid saying what you what to happen to the perpetrator of the abuse....the survivor gains a sense of control and power when deciding consequences for the abuser.

12. Certain sounds, odors, sights, or even movements may "trigger" memories of the abuse. These triggers can cause flashbacks or disassociation. The survivor needs to avoid the triggers until a professional is able to help him/her become desensitized (non-reactive) to the trigger.

13. Caregivers, friends & family member need to avoid projecting their emotions into the survivors experiences. Example: Survivor talks about about being beaten with a baton. Family member says,"You must have been mad". FAIL> the caregiver does not know how the survivor felt; this takes away the survivor's right to feel whatever his/she wants, and the survivor might not be ready to deal w/ the feelings.***
    Helpful response: "what were you feeling/thing when that happened?" Caregivers need to be ready to accept the survivor's response.

***Often when people are imprisoned or abused for a long time they develop Stockholm syndrome (builds a positive emotional relationship with the perpetrator----this functions as a survival mechanism). Trained professionals need to work through Stockholm Syndrome w/ the survivor due to the sensitivity of the thought & emotional issues.
  20. jadt65 Member

14. Routine, structure, and predictability are extremely important to undue the shock, unpredictability of trauma & fear/anxiety. This also help decrease symptoms of depression.

15. Attending groups with others who have had similar experiences under the guidance of a professional are helpful to decrease the feelings isolation & help w/feelings of shame & guilt.

16. Family members, friends & caregivers are likely to experience secondary trauma with emotional symptoms similar to a person who has experienced abuse first hand (this is especially true for children whose parent has been traumatized). Professional help & support groups are helpful.

Special considerations for children

1. Children who have been sexually abused are especially vulnerable because the have not been exposed to sexual issues. A talk about "good touch/bad touch" helps & keeping "private parts" private.

2. Children tend to "play out" what they do not understand. Abused & traumatized children need to be supervised w/ peers & redirected if they try to "play out" the abuse. It is important to have traumatized children work w/ a professional who specializes in doing trauma specific therapy to help the child in developing appropriate interaction skills with other children.

3. Children usually do not have the words to talk about what happened and their feelings. Encourage drawing, painting, and puppet/ doll play to help them "work things out"

4. Help the child identify their "special people" (those who the child has a bond with) to go to when the child does not feel safe. It is helpful to have the child carry a picture or some other kind of remembrance of the person. Special toys (stuffed animals, dolls, action figures) are also helpful in this regard.

The most important thing to do to help a survivor of abuse, rape, torture or imprisonment...

Believe what they tell you about their experiences

****This information is "first response", it is important to work with a local counselor, therapist, psychologist familiar with trauma-specific therapy on a regular basis as soon as possible.******
  21. jadt65 Member

@sp4rrowh4wk

This is most of the general information I can think of at the moment. I do not know how to move this into one thread...maybe the mods can help.

Thank you for getting this information to those who have been subjected to the cruelty of the regime. I truly admire the courage, wisdom, perseverance & creativity of the Iranian people. I am grateful for the privilege of being able to pass on some tools of healing.

I will be happy to provide any clarification or answer any questions.

Peace & blessings.:)
  22. jadt65 Member

23. Thank you

Thank you for providing this information. I'm so glad this dialogue on helping the survivors has begun. I'm a survivor of abuse and suffer from PTSD and so my heart goes out to anyone not receiving treatment. I'm so pleased you have provided this info in tweetable form.

***Can a medical person weigh in on the medical issues? The link I provided in an earlier post discusses the early medical interventions that can prevent pregnancy and certain STD's. Can a Doctor give us some tweetable stuff on the importance and reason for early medical intervention?

My feeling is the more this subject is discussed the less power stigma will have.
  24. Paleene Member

Yep!
    And I hope it will help to brake up this strange, obviously religously stimulated, habit of rejecting the survivors from their ordinary family's life. :mad:
  25. Ariss Member

Despite not being a practicioner of medical sciences myself, I might be able to give you some useful information.

As for emergency contraception, the key is the timing of intervention. There exist some very useful medicines to avoid unwanted pregnancy. The most commonly used pills are the progestin-only variants (under the name Levonelle, Plan-B, Escapelle, Norlevo or Postinor). These basically contain an unnaturally large amount of progestogene (levonorgestrel) that will produce a disruption of the normal menstrual cycle. But if you do not have any of these on your hands, you can try the older method (sometimes called Yuzpe's regimen): just take a large number of contraceptive pills at the same time. The exact amount depends on the hormone content of tablets (you may need more of the newer ones). The key is to reach at least 0.5-1.0 mg of progestogene amount at a single time. The more tablets the better the efficacy, but be careful and try not to poison yourself. You can find advices on exactly how many of the tablets you use should be combined to be used as emergency contraceptive. Intrauterine devices (IUDs) may also be used as emergency contraceptives, but I am no expert on that field, so cannot provide you further data.

As I mentioned before, timing is a key to success. Emergency contraceptives may be used up to 5 days after the event, but their efficacy is rapidly decreasing: the usually cited 75-80% efficacy is only true if they are taken immediately after the contact. If taken on the following days, the chance to prevent pregnancy (as a % of pregnancies) rapidly falls below 50%

If you failed to take (or was unable to do so) emergency contraceptive preparations, you may try the abortifacient mifepristone (if it is legal in your country). This is sold under the names Mifeprex or Mifestone. Because of its mechanism of effect (antagonises progestagenes) it provieds both emergency contraception, but will also cause rejection of an already-implanted embryo if taken later (abortifacient effect).

For some basic information on emergency contraception, see Emergency contraception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for STDs, there are not so well-working methods. You can try different washing methods (vaginal douching, soap & water) after the event, but these are of doubtful effectiveness. However, a combined antibiotic therapy (e.g. 125mg ceftriaxone + 2000mg metronidazole +200mg/day doxycycline) CAN help to prevent (or even, to cure) some common sexually-transmitted diseases such as trichomoniasis, chlamydiasis or gonorrhea. If the partner is expected to have HIV infection, a combined antiviral therapy may by tried (but only in the case if it is very probable, because these medicines have serious side-effects). Nevertheless, the risk of aquiring HIV from a single occasion is very-very low. I can give you a link (albeit it is a bit old) on this matter, if interested: FHI - STD Protection After Intercourse
  26. Paleene Member

Ty for good and comprehensive information.

How likely is it that this type of pharmaceutica is available to survivors of jailhouse rapes in Iran? (only asking)

That sounds interesting to me, as all I know is IUD could be used as a contraceptive if applied before the intercourse.

Unfortunately, the "single occasion" for survivors of jailhouse rape might not only have been a single intercourse, not to speak of the violence and brutality engaged in gang raping. The injuries caused by such crimes might pretty well increase the danger of infection. :(

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your efforts. Maybe u can give further specification?
  27. jadt65 Member

Unfortunately, fundamentalists & extremist of all faith traditions tend to do more harm than good. For example: I work with a 8 yo girl whose minister told her to "pray for her sin" sin=the incest.
  28. jadt65 Member

Later today I can provide the medical guidelines/standards for sexual abuse victims, if others believe it will be useful.
  29. Ariss Member

I tried to give the best solutions that exist today. I know that Iran is not a land that provides the best available medical care, especially in prisons. I heavily doubt that prisoners have access to ANY medical care, save the case of life-threatening conditions, when they might be transferred to hospitals.

This way I think that those women raped in prisons have no chance to prevent anything. I even believe that the jailors either exercise rape on inmates that are likely to recieve death penalty (so they need not take care of consequences) or they systematically kill victims that become pregnant (as today's genetic paternity tests are really hard to cheat). Also, the victims are not admitted to hospitals (the doctors might learn that she has been raped), thus the chances for any medical intervention are exceedingly dim.

Do not misundertand me. I would gladly tell of any well-working hosehold method, if I ever heard of one. But the sad truth is that the potential methods usable in a prison only have a low chance to prevent pregnancies or STDs.
  30. sp4rrowh4wk Member

please forgive me, this is very difficult.

i think medical guidelines for sexual abuse may not be effective. if i understand correctly that this is a more physical prevention of infection and treatment of physical injuries.

the perpetrators of these crimes do not let people out of prison until their lives are threatened- and these are the ones who may actually have some semblance of humanity left. the others will kill the innocent. the victims go to hospitals where they receive what care they can. many will die from their injuries in prison, or will be killed the following day. this kind of crime seems to be happening away from people who will give aid to physical injuries, until it is likely too late.

psychological damage to survivors will be long term and the information for families and friends will be crucial only for those (at least at this time) who have survived long enough to leave the hospital.

the psychological information we are providing is as much for the families and friends of the survivors as for the survivors. that is, as someone mentioned or implied, we are not trying only to get care strategies into the hands of families. we are also trying to help family members of survivors cope with *their* feelings by 'treating' them first with this helpful information.

the stigma attached to these crimes, for every single person associated with either victim or perpetrator, cannot be overemphasized. we have already revolutionized revolution with global peaceful participation and social media. now it appears we must alter, or help a society overcome, yet another kind of oppression associated with the regime.
  31. I can't believe I just read this:

Two men were hanged in southern Iran on August 12
    Saturday 15 August 2009

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :eek:

btw After Nam, there was quite a lot of work done in the US with vets who had ptsd. There is a particularly effective eye-muscle exercise which reduces the severity of ptsd symptoms. Most qualified psychotherapists are now aware of this treatment.

A few thoughts about ptsd -- as a survivor:

1) Unless treated, it's terminal. This is very very serious and should not be swept under the carpet. Many of my military friends have suffered the heartbreak of losing colleagues to ptsd-induced suicide. So it is critical to get a survivor into professional care.

2) There is still a lot of shame experienced by ptsd survivors and this stops them from 'coming out' and from getting help. One way I get past this, is to mention in passing about a 'friend' of mine who had ptsd and how he got help. I NEVER make the connection between 'friend' and the person I am talking to. It is critical to respect the choice and privacy of the survivor.

3) The more survivors who 'come out' about their abuse, the easier it gets for other survivors to overcome their shame and get help. Many Iranian ex pats have come out about their experiences in prison. It is important, if they have done interviews, to tweet these around the community. Their courage gives courage to others.

4) Some talk on twitter about survivors doing art and how this helps them. It only helps them if the art is done in a professional art-therapy setting. It is very difficult for survivors to find words to express the horrors which they experienced. Art gets the emotions out. The images can then be interpreted by a professional who is trusted by the survivor. Operative concept: the healing of trust.

5) More about art therapy: it is the purpose of the interrogator to reduce the prisoner to speechlessness. The road to recovery lies in repositioning the memories into speech.

6) There are numerous methods of repositioning a survivor in the safety of here and now. For every trigger, a counter-trigger can be created. Frightening sounds, smells, images can be neutralized by reassuring sounds, smells, images. Then-and-there often means that the survivor had no help, he/she was trapped. Here-and-now can mean that the survivor has a lot of help, multiple options, abundant freedom to experience a healthy life. The idea is to help the survivor bring the here and now into consciousness.

7) Our Lt Col Romeo Dallaire almost died from ptsd. He was the leader of the UN peacekeeping forces in Rwanda. His wife was constantly by his side. His faith helped. He went back to Rwanda to see the rebuilding. He has become a Canadian senator. He has lectured in Harvard on multilateralism and has become a champion for the hitherto shadowy world of child soldiers, helping them recover. He has written a book called Shake Hands with the Devil. But most of all, he is alive.
  32. jadt65 Member

I agree....prompt professional care is essential.....the points I have posted are like "First Aid" and guidance for family members. I stressed several times the importance of treatment...it can help prevent the development of full blown PTSD depending on the nature of the traumatic event.

The intervention to which you refer is EMDR Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing.

this is quoted from EMDR-Breakthrough Therapy for Overcoming Anxiety,Stress,Trauma & Self-Sabotage

I am not wanting to recommend treatment protocols because the most effective treatment is tailored to the individual. Another reason I stress the importance of seeking professional assessment & intervention.

In regard to the use of art....there is a qualitative difference between using art as a coping mechanism and art therapy. In my posting above about art, it is in reference to its use as a means to cope. Once again, art therapy needs to occur under the guidance of a professional trained in its use w/trauma survivors.

In composing this list, I thought it was important to avoid getting into detail about specific therapeutic techniques (reframing memories, systematic desensitization, reprocessing, ect). These are powerful tools which require strict training and supervision to be used effectively. In my post above, I spoke of my concern about people reading information & then trying to use it on its own.

I am glad you have sought treatment....the struggles of PTSD are immense & yes, sometimes fatal. I am glad you survived...the first step in the lifetime journey of recovery. I appreciate your feedback and input. I plan to clarify items on the blog link & do some education on twitter.

Peace:)
  33. jadt65 Member

Thank you for you feedback & guidance.:)
  34. Yes, I understand. I think you and I agree that professional care is essential and I appreciate your repeating that.

Yes, a breakthrough! I did not want to specify because I did not want to encourage folks to do this without first creating a trusting relationship with a therapist.

The friend who first told me about this literally travels to all parts of the country to help fellow vets to overcome their ptsd and to connect them with therapists. Quite moving to see what motivates people to go the extra mile.

I agree.

I understand.

I was very happy to see the efforts to which you all are going to help the literally thousands of survivors who are coming out of the Iranian prisons and those who WILL -- yes WILL -- come out of prisons in the future. They need our love, our acceptance.

More than that, they need professional intervention. I really really hope I have not offended anyone by emphasizing professional intervention. I truly do not want to make anyone feel uncomfortable. Only to say that there is a way out of the pain. It is possible.

I was so stricken with sorrow to see our Maziar Bahari at the trial of the 100. He was gaunt. His eyes had that thousand-yard stare and I just felt that he had seen too much, heard too much. I will bother my mps, PEN, and Amnesty International some more next week to spring Maziar from prison so that he can be home with his wife and his baby-to-be.

And the same goes for all the prisoners. Thank you, jad, for what you are doing.

Jad, btw, I haven't been reading in any depth about the help being put into place for the Iranian survivors but do you think there will be enough trained ptsd specialists? If not, do you think specialists can be offered through humanitarian aid efforts? HA has usually struck me as being about food, medicine, water, shelter, and so on. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you.
  35. jadt65 Member

Most of the professional organizations have response teams of professionals who are have highly advanced training in assisting those who have been subjected to war, disaster, survivors of genocide (eg. refugees in Darfur). These teams not only provide direct treatment services but also training and consultation services. There are a variety of funding sources for these services & many of us will volunteer our services and pay our own expenses.
    (Example:I was just invited to go on the team to Rwanda but had to decline due to family concerns---I am acting as a consultant).

I anticipate there will treatment resources available & accessible in Iran. Hopefully by educating family members & loved ones, these services will be utilized to prevent further tragedy.

The nation where it is most difficult to access trauma-specific treatment is the U.S (unless one is military). Most insurance companies do not reimburse providers for this treatment & non-profits have very limited funds. I have to do some very creative practice management & work multiple projects to stay solvent. It is the same for most of my colleagues stateside.