Customize

Jaden Smith loses the plot on Twitter. Is Scientology to blame?

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by Anonymous, Sep 14, 2013.

1. snippy Member

Children also are not allowed to vote or drive and it's not because they are short. Kids need reasonable rules and structure, preferably made by thoughtful people. That is not prison. If they aren't in school, then they are at home following their parents' rules. These may be very normal or very strange rules. Is that prison?

Schools are the lesser of two evils. When they fail, as they have in this video, everyone pays the price. The kids end up in a far worse prison, that of ignorance.
  2. Anonymous Member

We have to get along with each other in spite of our many important differences. We need places where public, civic relationships can happen. That's always going to be a little bit painful for kids to endure. Non-family adults are not as nice as moms and dads. Non-family peers aren't going to be as forgiving as siblings and cousins. But there's a community reality in schools that's probably an important component of growing up as a useful rather than a useless faggot.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OTeleventy Member

That video is so disturbing on so many levels. Makes my heart AND my head hurt (and honestly, I don't have much of either anymore).
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Anonymous Member

I would say it's not just public schools. Parochial schools can be even more regimented and stringent.

It was serendipitous that my kid was a crazy aspie like me. I had to find upper-level schools (both were public 'alternatives') that fit him rather than cramming him into one-size-fits-all HS. In the end it has all turned out rather well and his soul wasn't crushed in the process.
  5. Anonymous Member

Grey made the point that if you can't quit, you ain't free. That applies to children as well as adults.

Children don't need adults to learn, not in the sense that they need a teacher to learn to read.

What they do need is a safe place, and the opportunity to interact with their environment and the people in it. A school is the worst way to do that, with all children facing the teacher, looking to her for their structure when they are perfectly capable of an emergent order.

Look at Sudbury school, which Grey mentions. There, the kids are intimately involved in the structure, they have an equal say in what happens there, they have an equal voice with the teachers, and far outnumber them.

If we are going to live in a democracy, why not teach how it works by active participation from a young age? It helps the child learn about that vaunted social skills in a visceral way that no public school would ever allow.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  6. Anonymous Member

^ How are they to learn if not from adult's impressions. No they do not need to take them as gospel yet they need to listen. Teachers for better or worse raise the children of America this should not be discounted.
  7. RightOn Member

must be sad to be over before you make it
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

It is not the job of teachers to raise the children. That job belongs with the parents. Saying that teachers do raise our children is to admit the problem. If they are 'raising' our children, then they are doing a poor job, as that video a few posts up purported to show.

The Sudbury school and others have found that if a child is having problems learning to read, then watching a slightly older student is a good remedy. IOW, the adult is just one of many possible models for any given child.

If a child asks for help, or looks confused, that doesn't mean to not help, it means that the choice should be the child's, not yours. Ask, and respect their choice.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

Dox or GTFO. I can think of much worse ways. What you've just described as the "worst way" is probably the only way to teach higher math and physics in a time efficient manner - having a teacher lay down fundamental truths and rules to build on. You can't "interact" them into existence, and kids and young adults aren't smart enough to derive them alone.

If you think blanket assertions can indict entire institutions absent of any dox or validating reasoning, then maybe you should some spend time evaluating your own education before you criticize the public school system.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

Seconded, and there is real world evidence to support what you have said here.

Cliff Mass lays it out quite well:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvSFunUjx0

What Cliff describes here has become common and widespread. Skills as simple as multiplication and division need instruction and practice. Kids don’t learn skills like these through ‘interacting with the environment’ (to borrow a phrase). There has been a shift in many schools towards a ‘discovery approach’, the results of which have been a disaster. When a university professor has to dumb down their course it should be a warning flag. The Where’s The Math project (whose site seems to have gotten hacked) have stacks and stacks of data from professors like Cliff which lay this all out.

Even a basic high school treatment of physics (from a sensible course) represents about 400 years of human discovery and endeavour from some of the finest intellectuals and thinkers of past generations. No fucking way kids are going to come anywhere close to replication 1% of that by interacting with the environment.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

I gave dox. See Sudbury School. If reading how it works doesn't shake your assumptions about how education can operate, then you are brain dead.
    lol, you sure do willfully miss the point. I am not talking about learning a new skill set, though if you know anything about music or math, you would know that not much is needed for a good student other than access to the materials. A good music student can learn from a record, a good math student can learn from a book.

What I am saying is that forcing children to sit in a classroom for 6 hours a day, with people he may or may not want to be with, having a teacher who may or may not care a whit about him, having to sit silently like a 'good little boy' instead of being out there interacting with his environment is to do violence to our children,

What you are talking about comes later, after they have learned the basics, and it is entirely voluntary, not a forced action with punishment for not obeying arbitrary rules.

tl;dr: What modern schools offer is indoctrination, not education.
    Anonymous
    This message by Anonymous has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. That's one school. How much does it cost per student to run that school? How many teachers per student? Would that model work everywhere? One anecdotal example doesn't make a case, unless you provide dox proving that it can work nation wide to replace a national institution.

Get over it. Yet another blanket assertion that you think indicts an entire institution, without any validating study.
    You can't learn math quickly or in a dollar-efficient or time-efficient manner this way. You can't learn how to write in cursive in a dollar-efficient or time-efficient manner this way. Prove me wrong.

Maybe YOUR school indoctrinated you. At my public school, they taught us critical thinking in our English classes, at the same time as we studied rhetoric and essay.

And you're making a judgement about how old kids have to be to learn higher math. All your blanket assertions, it turns out, only apply to very young children. Apparently, it's okay to have an "indoctrinating" structure once children become a certain age. What, pray tell, is that age?
  13. Meh. When I said this, it was meant to apply to Peter Grey Anon Cocksucker's model of having one student learn from another older student.
  14. Anonymous Member

A GREAT student, certainly. A GOOD one? Not so much, and pretty much the reason why groups like Where’s The Math exist. It’s a nice myth to believe, but the truth is that less than 1% of students are exceptional enough to self-educate for the level require by college. Sorry to break that bubble for you.

15. I read about Sudbury School. All it did was horrify me that the students there are being crippled and deprived of a proper education.

I can almost guarantee you that those kids don't know basic physics, chemistry, or calculus when they graduate form that high school.

If any of them do, it is a small fraction of those who graduate.

There is no comparison, even after reading about your vaunted Sudbury. I'd rather send my kids to public school.
  16. Anonymous Member

Spoken like a guy who enjoys trolling his ex-wife aka "the custodial parent."
  17. JohnnyRUClear Member

Different students/subject matters sometimes require different learning/teaching methods/environments. Some want freedom, others want control. Ergo, there will always be debate about education.

Carry on....
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. Anonymous Member

Trees aren't sad until they are randomly axed to the ground for a 'temporary' installation of an ugly ass-tent.

15 year-olds and social media, What could possibly go wrong?
    • Like Like x 2
  20. shitty actor, none of the charisma of his old man

Hollywood will spit him out like Macaulay Culkin

"Eyes aren't real" LOL GTFO little Hubtard
  21. Kilia Member

His life has been so sucked up by Hubbard and his ilk, that it is Jaden who is not real.
  22. mongrel Member

• Like Like x 13
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

Alleged Scientologist Jaden Smith Talks Aliens, Before Will and Jada Cheating Rumors [UPDATE]

By Jonathan Lambert, Classicalite

Jaden Smith, who many claim is a Scientologist, recently talked about aliens with President Obama. The chat occurred prior to a wave of rumors that Will Smith was cheating on Jaden's mom, Jada Pinkett.

If you ever get a chance to speak with a sitting president, then you should probably talk about something that actually matters. For Jaden Smith, that happens to be aliens.

When the overly-opinionated youngster caught up with Obama, he asked the president if extraterrestrials actually exist. Jaden recounts the experience and, luckily for us, extrapolates the meaning of Obama’s statements:

“Obama said he can neither confirm nor deny the existence of aliens--which means they’re real.”

Speaking of aliens, it is rumored that Jaden’s family are members of the ultra-secretive Church of Scientology, which is rooted in the belief of aliens (ie: Lord Xenu). It’s a pretty easy connection to make, considering the Smith’s involvement in a school that utilized the teachings of L Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.

Continued with open comments at
    http://www.classicalite.com/article...h-aliens-before-will-jada-cheating-rumors.htm
    • Like Like x 2
  24. DeathHamster Member

[IMG]
  25. Anonymous Member

26. Random guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  27. Kilia Member

28. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  29. Kilia Member

Yes, but the kid definitely has some psychological problems.
    • Like Like x 3
  30. The Internet Member

Pretty sure reincarnation is just make believe. Never seen any dox on it.
  31. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

This song pretty much describes it:
    • Like Like x 3
  32. media_lush at Tony's blog

original.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  33. Mr. Magoo Member

I had a bunch of 15-year-olds at my house last night, and they were all laughing about these tweets and saying what an idiot Jaden Smith is. They told me that these tweets are being made fun of all over Tumblr. :D
    • Like Like x 4
  34. Anonylemmi Member

Some Kids Should Either Be Taught How To Use The Caps Key, Or Not Allowed To Use The Internet.
    • Like Like x 2
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

Jaden Smith Will Play A Cross-Dressing Slave In New Film

It looks like Jaden Smith is going to give the acting thing a try once more. Last time around he starred with his dad Will Smith in the universally panned scientology baited film After Earth. Now it looks like Jaden is ready to right his wrongs and go after a film that’s detached from the action genre, or dropping box office bombs.

Jaden’s latest project is called The Good Lord Bird, and he will play opposite Liev Schrieber. According to Deadline, who ran the first report on Smith’s latest film, The Good Lord Bird, is “a big-screen adaptation of the 2013 National Book Award winner by James McBride (Miracle At St. Anna, Red Hook Summer).”

The synopsis for Jaden’s new project is as follows:

“A young slave who links up with radical abolitionist John Brown (Schreiber) in 1856 Kansas and travels the nation with Brown’s motley crew of freedom fighters. Story is told with a satirical bent through the eyes of Onion, who wears a dress and is at first mistaken for a girl, as he bears witness to Brown’s historic campaign and encounters the likes of Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman en route to the bloody Harper’s Ferry raid that helped spark the Civil War.”

Other than a budding acting career Jaden Smith is getting a bit of attention for tweets that the media has deemed as “dumb.”

Here’s a taste:

Continued at http://www.inquisitr.com/1213568/jaden-smith-will-play-a-cross-dressing-slave-in-new-film/
    • Like Like x 1
  36. RightOn Member

playing a degraded being?
    hmmm
    Harriet Tubman would roll over in her grave if she ever knew the Smiths and saw the way they acted and what they are in to.
    • Like Like x 3
  37. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 3
  38. The Internet Member

Here’s a taste:
    Jealousy Just Reassures Your Love.
    — Jaden Smith (@officialjaden) April 5, 2014

Commit To Love Not To People, Commit To Happiness Because When You Commit To People The Love Leaves And You Are Forced To Stay. — Jaden Smith (@officialjaden) March 21, 2014

People Think A RelationShip Makes You Whole, That It’s Two 50%’s Coming Together To Make 100% When It Should Be Two 100%’s Making 200%••• — Jaden Smith (@officialjaden) March 5, 2014