Customize

Jamie DeWolf: I’ve found the last memoir of the son of Scientology’s founder

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by The Wrong Guy, May 10, 2014.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Jamie DeWolf: I’ve found the last memoir of the son of Scientology’s founder

By Tony Ortega

During a mesmerizing performance last night in Clearwater, Florida at the Flag Down anti-Scientology conference, Jamie DeWolf made a stunning revelation. He’s authenticated bizarre writings that had been attributed to his grandfather, L. Ron Hubbard Jr., who was the son of Scientology’s founder. They paint a disturbing portrait of the influence of the occult on the Hubbard men as they used Scientology in its early days to further their personal aims.

We first wrote about Jamie in the summer of 2011, when we named him one of the “Top 25 People Crippling Scientology.” Though he wasn’t very well known even among former Scientologists, we said that the Bay Area performance artist had huge potential to make a major impact on how Scientology and his great-grandfather, L. Ron Hubbard, are viewed. Since then, Jamie has been working hard to make good on that prediction. A boost from Upworthy in March helped a lot, and he’s continued to hone his writing about his family tree.

Jamie revealed some of that new material last night in Clearwater in a spellbinding hour-long performance which was captured on video (it starts about 6 minutes into the clip below). During that performance, Jamie revealed that he’d only recently obtained an unpublished manuscript written by his grandfather, who went by several names — L. Ron Hubbard Jr., “Nibs,” and Ron DeWolf.

Jamie found that in 1981 his grandfather had written a memoir he titled “The Telling of Me, by Me.” Jamie read the introduction and some pages of bizarre material in which Nibs talked about learning the occult from his famous father.

Jamie actually first ran into those occult writings when we brought them to his attention several months ago. Arnie Lerma had posted a portion of them online some years ago, saying that they were from another work that Nibs had helped write in the early 1970s. During our research, we discovered that the occult pages couldn’t be from that earlier work, but Arnie couldn’t help us determine where they were from. When we brought them to Jamie’s attention, we told him that we couldn’t be sure where they came from or if they were authentic. And until last night we didn’t know that he’d found out their actual origin.

Jamie tells us that he’s been probing his family members for more information about his grandfather. And that’s how he learned that the family still had material that belonged to Nibs which had been left behind after his 1991 death. In that material was the 1981 manuscript of “The Telling of Me, by Me,” including the introduction and occult section that Jamie made public last night.

Jamie doubts that the full manuscript will ever be published because of agreements that his grandfather made with the Church of Scientology before he died. But at least we have this glimpse, read aloud by a master storyteller. We’ve transcribed just a portion of it for your perusal.

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2014/05/10/ja...st-memoir-of-the-son-of-scientologys-founder/
    • Like Like x 7
  2. RightOn Member

3. The Wrong Guy Member

Could This Man Bring Down Scientology? L. Ron Hubbard’s Great-Grandson Planning Anti-Scientology Exposé

Radar Online, August 8, 2014

As some of the Church of Scientology’s most high-profile members continue to leave the church, RadarOnline.com has learned that the beleaguered organization could be dealt yet another blow — from founder L. Ron Hubbard’s own heir. Hubbard’s great-grandson Jamie DeWolf has slowly begun speaking out about Scientology in recent years, and now tells Radar exclusively that he is working on a book project that could shake the entire Church to its very foundations.

DeWolf tells Radar he “may be developing a longer project about L. Ron and L. Ron [Hubbard] Jr., [his son], later this year.”

“I’m looking for the right people to align with for that,” he explained. “I’m interested in talking to publishers …” There are people who are out there who haven’t really spoken about [Scientology] and would speak to me,” he said. “But time is running out. It’s a last piece, because not many people know the true story … There’s obviously a lot of meat.”

<snipped>

“It’s actually been less frightening than I expected,” he tells Radar. “The internet and the media has at least put up a stronger front against the cult and are a lot ballsier in terms of taking shots. In a way, it’s emboldened a lot ofpeople who have been bullied into silence for the past couple decades.”

“Plus, with the internet, people can unify so quickly and disseminate information so quickly, it has been a huge weapon against the cult,” he says. “There are so many fires going on at this point all over the place [for Scientology] that I think in some ways it’s making people feel that there’s a lot more safety in numbers.”

Still, he claims, ” I don’t underestimate their danger and I certainly have my eyes open and generally watch my back. But other than who I am I personally, I don’t have that much to hide … They’re not going to be able to do some easy character assassination on me.”

And so he says he’s ready to tell the true story of Scientology, and expose who the Scientology founders really were.

He claims, “My story and the story of my grandfather is something they’ve been wanting to bury for two decades at this point.”

What could it cover?

“My grandfather L. Ron Jr. actually wrote a lot of the policies that were used to bully people in the early days,” DeWolf claims. “He engineered the ‘Fair Game’ policy and used to talk about how he blackmailed people and beat them if they tried to leave. [When he left the church himself], he would tell his lawyers, ‘This is what they’re going to do against me.’ He was like, ‘I literally wrote the manual on how to do it.’

“He was alive when I was still alive,” DeWolf says, but he’s gotten a new perspective on his Scientology secrets by reading his grandfather’s long-buried manuscript about L. Ron Hubbard, as Radar has reported.

“It’s kind of disconcerting to read these words later,” DeWolf says. “I was just a kid and he was grandpa. And you read his words and it’s this incredibly lurid account of crazy rituals invoking the great beast. It was definitely disturbing to see a different perspective.”

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/08/scientology-jamie-wright-tell-all-book-plan/
    • Like Like x 6
  4. moxie Member

He is a very good speaker. He is also someone that the media can take seriously b/c of the family connection. Also he is really attractive. Which does help.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Quentinanon Member

Waiting for the cult's next Fair Game footbullet.
  6. RightOn Member

make it so Jamie!
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

Descendant of Scientology’s founder has disciples of his own | SFGate

By Nanette Asimov

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Descendant-of-Scientology-s-founder-has-5785550.php

EXCLUSIVE: Scientology didn’t want you to see this letter it sent to the San Francisco Chronicle

By Tony Ortega

Last week, we remarked on what a superb job San Francisco Chronicle reporter Nanette Asimov had done on her lengthy profile of Jamie DeWolf (right), the L. Ron Hubbard great-grandson and Scientology critic we’ve been keeping an eye on for several years.

Jamie is a super-talented storyteller and performance artist who hasn’t exploited his connection to Hubbard as much as he might. He has a solid career that has nothing to do with criticizing Scientology, but he knows that he’s in demand because he has such colorful things to say about his grandfather — L. Ron Hubbard Jr., also known as Ron DeWolf — and his famous great-grandfather.

Nanette picked up on that, and revealed some startling material about Jamie that he only now decided to make public. In all, it was a great piece of writing and gave us an even deeper appreciation for both Nanette and Jamie.

Then, last Wednesday, Jamie posted a message on Facebook, saying that Scientology had written “an epic three-page response to the SF Chronicle attacking me with all the subtlety of a flame-thrower.”

Since he posted that, we set out to get our hands on that letter Scientology sent the newspaper. We managed to obtain it, and now we can share it with you.

The first thing you’ll notice is that Scientology leader David Miscavige, under the name of his long-suffering spokeswoman, Karin Pouw, had marked this letter “Not for publication.” So that’s why you didn’t see this in the Chronicle itself.

We don’t know why Miscavige didn’t want the public to see this, it’s one of his most artistic whines of all time.

Scientology 2014 letter to the SF Chronicle re: Jamie DeWolf story

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2014/10/08/ex...etter-it-sent-to-the-san-francisco-chronicle/
    • Like Like x 5
  8. RightOn Member

from that letter:
    Karin Pouw says:
    "But please, don’t believe this is a letter simply intended to defend Scientology on the basis of “freedom of religion.” It’s far more than that. The Church and its members work to create a better society for one and all-regardless of religion. Our efforts in the name of drug prevention, drug rehabilitation, literacy, criminal reform, morality, human rights and interfaith cooperation are, factually, legendary"

Soooooo... Narconon IS Scientology. Will post this in other thread too.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Random guy Member

Straight from the horses mouth too!
  10. RightOn Member

well, actually the bitch's mouth, but yes.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ersatz Global Moderator

Wow. That is some letter. Where to start? How about I leave the grammar for the grammar nazis and focus on this little gem right here
    That statement is either extremely false or delightfully true. If they are claiming millions of Scientologists then I call bullshit. If they are using actual numbers, then it is possible.
  12. anon8109 Member

Miscavige has this stilted, clunky writing style. It seems as though he has difficulty putting an argument together without making it sound like a promotional brochure.

As for the "fair game" attack on the reporter, it seemed relatively muted compared with how the cult responds to ex-members. The worst Miscavige could say about her is the usual boilerplate general accusation of bigotry that he launches at all critics. There was nothing specific accusing her of any crimes. I was a bit disappoint given all the buildup. I was expecting to see accusations of child molestation, violent crime, prostitution, human rights abuses, etc.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

From those who left, a special Christmas message for Scientology’s remaining members

By Tony Ortega, December 25, 2016

Quote:

We asked some former members of the Church of Scientology if they had a message for the people still in the organization on this Christmas Day.

Paul Haggis: I wish my friends in Scientology courage; the courage to seek what Scientology promised: the truth. I wish them the courage to face that truth when they see it. And I want them to know that their true friends are still here for them, and will be, when they find that courage.

Nora Crest: To my friends and family who are still members of the Church of Scientology and to my friends who are still in the Sea Org, this Christmas I wish you health and happiness and love. I am waiting, with arms wide open, to hug you and help you to recover and make it out here in the great big world any way I can.

Karen de la Carriere: To those still in, “hung up in doubt,” you can flourish and prosper only after you depart. Your immortality and higher states do not happen when you are spirituality handcuffed. Be aware that there are complete support systems for those who leave. Read the Internet, go to YouTube and evaluate both sides of the issue for yourself. Christmas blessings…there is no Disconnection from us to you.

Pete Griffiths: I would like existing members of Scientology to experience the gains and knowledge that I now have since leaving and finding out the awful truth and that people you have trusted have lied to your face.

Jefferson Hawkins: I wish all the best to my friends still in Scientology. I know this time of year can be hard. I know that staff and Sea Org Members in particular are under heavy pressure to try to shore up Holiday statistics and prepare for year-end events, and they often have to work long hours when they would rather be enjoying the Season with friends and family. I know that you miss your friends and loved ones who have left Scientology, even though you are not allowed to express or even think that. I know you miss your family. And I know that you think back with longing to earlier times when your life was more under your own control and you could spend the holidays any way you liked. I also want you to know that there is a whole world of love and friendship and happiness waiting for you should you ever decide to leave Scientology. It is not an easy step to take, I know that as well as anyone. It might seem you will lose everything, but in fact you have so much to gain. There is a very large and growing support community of former Scientologists that is here for you. You know, in your heart of hearts, that today’s Scientology is far from the group you thought you joined. Trust your instincts. It is time to step away and take back your life. I wish you love, peace, and courage in the coming year.

Claire Headley: Christmas is a time where we all focus on family, friends, and those we love. For me, the only dark shadow that fleets across my celebration of this, my favorite time of year, is my love and hope to reunite with my family some day. There is light, peace, and love in this world, and while you may have thought you would find that in Scientology, I know, only too well, it simply does not exist there. Scientology is a hollow shell of false promises that is cracking at its core. Save yourself and your family and get out! The world is not a dangerous place, as you’ve been misled to believe. This is a beautiful world we live in, full of love and hope. Sure, it’s not perfect. No one is claiming that. As hard or daunting as it may seem to leave Scientology, the world out here will welcome you with open arms. Your family will welcome you back. We, and they, miss you! The mental torture that has your mind twisted into believing it is hard to leave is just that. Mental torture. Pick yourself up and leave. One step at a time out the door. And don’t look back. You don’t need permission and you certainly don’t need a reason, those already exist in the thousands! Think for yourself. Believe in yourself. Communicate with those you love. You will find peace.

Mary Khan: Do your due diligence and find out the truth for yourself. Merry Christmas.

Cathy Schenkelberg: May the heartbreaking policy of “Disconnection” bring you warm and merry thoughts this Christmas season in your “freedom to think for yourself” religion. And may 2017 be the year families are reunited again and your tax exempt status is revoked.

Amy Scobee: For Sea Org members: Your family loves you and misses you. They don’t deserve your continuous absence and neglect. This Christmas, reach out and let your heart be free. You will see the amazing love your family has for you. Family is forever.

Chris Shelton: I sincerely wish you and yours the very best this holiday season and in the new year. Despite what you might think, my intentions as a “critic” have never been anything but the best for you. Maybe we can’t agree on that now, but hopefully one day we will. All the good will, joy, and survival that you are looking for in the Church of Scientology actually exists out here in the world beyond L. Ron Hubbard and David Miscavige. I know how euphoric and amazing Scientology can make you feel, but at what cost? The exchange demanded of you by the Church is far more than you should have to pay, and I’m not just talking about money. May this new year bring you freedom and the happiness you want and which I know you can find if you would look further than the confines of Scientology. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

And finally, we heard from one non-Scientologist. Jamie DeWolf is the great-grandson of L. Ron Hubbard, and we think you’re going to be seeing a lot more of him soon.

Jamie DeWolf: My message for those still inside is to never forget the door is always open, you just have to push. The whole world is waiting for you with open arms. There are resources out here, homes, families, people to help. No matter what you’ve had to do, no matter how afraid you’ve been, true freedom is having your choices back. You don’t have to have all the answers today, but tomorrow doesn’t belong to L. Ron Hubbard or David Miscavige. Tomorrow belongs to you.

Source and comments: http://tonyortega.org/2016/12/25/fr...-message-for-scientologys-remaining-memberts/
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Quentinanon Member

Got to wonder if Danny Sherman writes all this crap, or Danny Sherman has trained up clones to imitate his writing style.
    • Like Like x 1