Customize

Jett On Depakote

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by Ima Nonymous, Jan 4, 2009.

1. WTF Member

Re: Jett On Depakote

I always think "Bahamas" when cutting edge forensic pathology is mentioned...
  2. eddieVroom Member

It's still in the blogs at LATimes:

Travolta's lawyers: Jett's anti-seizure meds stopped working | The Dish Rag | Los Angeles Times

"Eventually, the drug lost its effectiveness, according to Ossi and McDermott, who say "it began to cause serious physical damage," including damage to Jett's liver.

And because Jett was back to having at least one seizure every four days, Travolta and Preston, after consulting neurosurgeons, stopped giving him the drug. It's not conclusive whether the seizures caused a fall and the subsequent head injury.

Are there no other anti-seizure medications on the market?

Just asking because someone is bound to ask soon."
  3. tendervittles Member

How come everyone here is all smart and stuff?

I'm very impressed with you lot!

• Kawasaki syndrome is claimed
      • Insufficient info at the moment for us to verify Kawasaki, though if it was Kawasaki, it would have to have been a "worst case" Kawasaki syndrome, the kind that goes on to serious complications if not properly treated, and is still seen in a 16 year old.
    • Autism is denied
    • Severe seizure disorder of some kind has been admitted
      • Severe seizure disorder is inconsistent with Kawasaki syndrome
      • Severe seizure disorder (epilepsy) develops in about 25% of autistic children
    • Treatment with Depakote for some years is claimed, but treatment discontinued because it "stopped working," seizures resumed at full force, and "parents feared liver damage/physical damage"
      • Depakote is not really a first-line epilepsy drug; there are plenty of alternative meds for severe seizure disorders; we gather so far that none of the others were tried.
      • If the autopsy shows any organ damage at all, Niacin will likely be to blame.
    • On the issue of "consulted with neurosurgeons," I wouldn't get too hung up on that term at the moment. If anything like this was actually done, a neurosurgeon would have said "don't ask me, ask that neurologist/shrink."
  4. onewhogets Member

no other anti-seizure medications!

pentobarbital, phenobarbital,valproate Na, valproic acid, clonazepam, clorazepate, diazepam, phenytoin, gabapentin, oxcarbaepine,topiramate.......and the list goes on....
  5. Re: Jett On Depakote

Here's another spin on this article:

NASSAU — Actor John Travolta broke a two-day silence over the death of his 16-year-old son Jett on Sunday, saying he and his wife, actress Kelly Preston, were "heartbroken" by their sudden loss.

Jett, who had a history of seizures, was found unconscious in a bathroom at his family's home at the Old Bahama Bay resort on Grand Bahama Island on Friday morning.

He was pronounced dead after being taken by ambulance to Rand Memorial Hospital in Freeport and an autopsy to determine the cause of death is due to be performed in the Bahamas on Monday.

"Jett was the most wonderful son that two parents could ever ask for and lit up the lives of everyone he encountered," Travolta said in a statement posted on his website www.travolta.com.

"We are heartbroken that our time with him was so brief. We will cherish the time that we had with him for the rest of our lives."

The statement did not refer to Jett's medical history or possible cause of death. But Travolta's lawyers, Michael Ossi and Michael McDermott, were quoted on Sunday as saying Jett apparently suffered from grand mal, a type of epilepsy marked by convulsions and loss of consciousness.

He was on an anti-seizure medication called Depakote for several years, Ossi and McDermott told the celebrity website

TMZ.

They said the drug was suspended after it lost its effectiveness amid concern about side effects, however, and Jett had been suffering about one extremely serious seizure a week.

Travolta and his wife have said previously that Jett became very sick when he was a toddler and was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease, which leads to inflammation of the blood vessels in young children.

Ossi and McDermott did not immediately return calls from Reuters on Sunday seeking comment. Travolta's publicists have declined to comment on autopsy or funeral plans for the actor's teenage son.

this is of interest:

They said the drug was suspended after it lost its effectiveness amid concern about side effects, however, and Jett had been suffering about one extremely serious seizure a week.

wtf?
  6. tendervittles Member

If celebrity pathologist Dr. Michael Baden shows up, we will know that something is fishy. He is the one who got the Scilons off the hook with Lisa McPherson. He was immediately on the scene for Anna Nicole AND the death of her 20 yr old son the next day, which was also quite an unusual event. ]

I am making a WILD, WILD SPECULATION here, but when Health Minister Hubert Innis said that there would be TWO pathologists for Jett, I immediately thought that he figured Baden would show up to smooth things over, and wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be smoothed over.

Baden does this stuff for free, so that he can be paid to sit on Fox News panels of "experts" to speculate about various things. A Scilon sympathizer.

7. Forseti Member

I wonder if Jett was also going through purification rundowns while on Depakote? After all, he was taking a drug that Scilons consider to be dangerous. The massive amounts of B-vitamins given during the purification rundowns cause liver damage.
  8. Re: Jett On Depakote

Yes, BigButterJesus....I remember that trial well. What a mess...

In other news, how's about everyone support our friend, Gawker, and all put posts on this story:

Jett Travolta: Time to Audit Scientology's Anti-Medicine Stance

I used to have posting rights over there but I guess I wasn't snarky enough so they took it away......it still gives Owen some props when a post gets tons of reads.....please support him!
  9. Re: Jett On Depakote

that is a possibility Niacin combined with Depakote (which isn't normally used for grand mal seizures which it sounds like he had) but still, he would have had his liver levels tested by any competent doctor.
  10. Puppet Member

Can the autopsy confirm that liver damage was due to either Depakote or Niacin?
  11. whosit Member

I'm calling dox on the Depakote. I want to see these scripts that were written for Jett. They can pick any anti seizure medication out of the air and say he was on it. Just like he had kawasaki.
  12. Re: Jett On Depakote

here's a snip on depaktote from healthsquare.com. There are 4 pages on there but this is part of the first page.

Brand name:
    Depakote

Pronounced: DEP-uh-coat
    Generic name: Divalproex sodium (Valproic acid)
    Why is Depakote prescribed?

Depakote, in both delayed-release tablet and capsule form, is used to treat certain types of seizures and convulsions. It may be prescribed alone or with other epilepsy medications.
    advertisement

The delayed-release tablets are also used to control the manic episodes--periods of abnormally high spirits and energy--that occur in bipolar disorder (manic depression).

An extended-release form of this drug, Depakote ER, is prescribed to prevent migraine headaches. The delayed-release tablets are also used for this purpose.
    Most important fact about Depakote

Depakote can cause serious or even fatal liver damage, especially during the first 6 months of treatment. Children under 2 years of age are the most vulnerable, especially if they are also taking other anticonvulsant medicines and have certain other disorders such as mental retardation. The risk of liver damage decreases with age; but you should always be alert for the following symptoms: loss of seizure control, weakness, dizziness, drowsiness, a general feeling of ill health, facial swelling, loss of appetite, vomiting, and yellowing of the skin and eyes. If you suspect a liver problem, call your doctor immediately.

Depakote has also been known to cause life-threatening damage to the pancreas. This problem can surface at any time, even after years of treatment. Call your doctor immediately if you develop any of the following warning signs: abdominal pain, loss of appetite, nausea, or vomiting.
  13. juche Member

Lamictal is a fucking amazing drug.
  14. onewhogets Member

There are many other drugs.
    Or combinations of drugs that are titrated for effect.
  15. whosit Member

Not exactly what I meant.

They say he was on Depakote. But was taken off of it. How long ago? Because I'm guessing they aren't going to find any type of anti-seizure medication in Jett - not with Kelly's strident stance and association with CCHR.

If he was on it, who prescribed it and when? How long was he taking it before he taken off of it?

I believe, but do not have proof, that they will find liver damage. The Depakote will be blamed by Travolta's lawyers. But we also know for a fact that Kelly and John had put Jett through the purif at least once, if not multiple times. The mega doses of Niacin that is taken on the purif can cause liver damage.

tl;dr who gave Jett Depakote, when and how long.
  16. celtg Member

I do find it kind of strange that he was on only one medication. My sister has seizures during her teen years and i swear it was like a handful of drugs she had to take daily.

I'm wondering if Jet did do the purification rundown what kind of effect taking depakote and sitting in a sauna for hours would do to a body.
  17. Re: Jett On Depakote

I see what you're saying now, my bad. Now just gotta find out how to get that info
  18. whosit Member

Yeah - I don't think John and Kelly are going to say go see doctor so and so. This isn't going to be easy to find but I think if anything it should be investigated.
  19. juche Member

This has probably been answered before, but who gave them that diagnosis? It has to be one of the most bullshit diagnoses I've seen in a long, long time.
  20. Forseti Member

That is a good question. Different types of drugs can cause different types of damage.

For example, Drug-A might directly cause tissue damage in a certain way that can be easily seen when tissue samples are microscopically examined. Drug-B may indirectly cause damage by causing physiological changes in the body which, in turn, can cause damage to certain organs.

Overdoses of certain vitamins may also cause organ damage, but attacks the organ in a different way which can also easily be identified.

Autopsies where cause of death is suspicious or unknown generally include the examination of all organs at the microscopic level. Any irregularities in any organs will be recorded on the coroner's report even if it was not the cause of death.
  21. Re: Jett On Depakote

thinking about this, doctor/patient confidentiality pretty much guarantees no doctor will speak on this. SO you are left with a pharmacist who would likely lose their job for talking, I dunno if they carry a license to work. So you got either inside people or somebody needs to compromise a database.
  22. whosit Member

I think the authorities investigating this should at least ask the question whether or not Travolta answers it. Its at least on the record then.
  23. Forseti Member

True, but if I am not mistaken, Autopsy reports are public information in the united states. Autopsy reports can only become confidential or sealed by court order and that would be very difficult to do.
  24. Re: Jett On Depakote

you'd have to get into the doctor's files. they could go to any pharmacist, and still there's no way to prove they didn't go to different docs. damnit
  25. Re: Jett On Depakote

autopsy reports are another thing, yeah I don't think those would be too hard to come by. They'll likely be on the web because of the celeb of his father
  26. onewhogets Member

You won't find a pharmacist telling any confidential patient information anywhere in the US, unless they have a deep longing to become the Wal-mart greeter.

It would go like this, "Hi, welcome to Wal-mart"
  27. Forseti Member

One thing I just thought of.....

The autopsy is being done in the bahamas. I wonder what their laws are in regards to autopsy reports.
  28. ladyfag Member

Yes it is. I'm taking it for bipolar, and it has changed my life.

Regarding Depakote not generally being used as a first-line treatment for epilepsy, that's not necessarily suspicious in and of itself. Many drugs aren't officially indicated as first-line treatments but are unofficially used as such. Lamictal is a good example: It is only officially recommended as maintenance treatment (that is, not during an active episode of mania or depression), and for bipolar I only; however, it is currently regarded by many in the psychiatric community as THE go-to drug for bipolar II, especially during acute depressive states. When it comes to psych meds, nothing is cut-and-dried. It's not unusual for Depakote to be used first or on its own.

This whole thing reeks of...something, but I don't think this particular argument is strong.
  29. Re: Jett On Depakote

I would look into wether you can file a petition to release the info. I don't know what exactly you have to do, but I bet there is somebody on here that does. Then you could get the info legally.
    They got it on Lisa McPhereson so no doubt there is a critic that can help (and would help)
  30. blank Member

Well, that's easy: See, we always told you that psych drugs kill!
  31. Re: Jett On Depakote

I would send an email to Mark Bunker, and just cut to the chase, if anyone would know, he would probly. He was involved with the Lisa McPhereson trust, so one of those people surely know what to do, or who to ask. Then if it costs money, there's this rich guy that got silenced I heard Mark might know, lols. Hey, you never know, it might just work.
  32. orly Member

So who else feels like some Scilon attorneys googled "seizure medication" and latched onto the first plausible-sounding one?
  33. onewhogets Member

I do!
    Depakote is not first line for grand-mal seizures, but then we really don't know what type of seizures he had.
  34. juche Member

Me too :D!
  35. RavenEyes Member

you know...if we find out Jett was never ON Depakote, it means this thread has been all
  36. SuperChipcat Member

Excellent! More Big Pharma stock dividends for me.

Eat 'em like M&M's, you crazy fuckers.
  37. onewhogets Member

That's what I've been thinking.-Raven eyes
    Get off the damn Depakote and ask why he was not appropriately medicated or supervised at all.
  38. ladyfag Member

SC, I will I will I will! They taste yummy and make me happy! :D
  39. catwoman30 Member

I honestly have no great hopes of finding out the true autopsy results......but I am going to keep bitching anyway......bloody hell.