Customize

John Mappin and the Camelot Castle Hotel, Tintagel, Cornwall

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by stc, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: John Mappin and the Camelot Castle Hotel, Tintagel, Cornwall

You are quite welcome. And don't thank me, thank Garry Armstrong for getting this out there. But yeah, self-obsession, inadequacy, fear and loneliness pretty much sums it up. In a way, reading the paper makes me sad. Hubbard comes across as a weak man obsessed with self control. If you ask me, I'd say he was the first victim of his own bullshit.

As for the internet, it's here to stay. our kids will ask us how we where able to live and communicate without it. Might as well make the best of it.
  2. starborgled Member

Hear hear (doffs cap) to Anderson and y'all

Having just read the L-Ron plea for help, I couldn't help noticing this from the BBC website:

"In one recording - made by Moat in August 2009 during a meeting with a social worker - the gunman said: "I would like to have a psychiatrist, psychologist, have a word with me regularly, on a regular basis, to see if there's somewhere underlying like where I have problem that I haven't seen.

"Why don't we just have a psychiatrist sit me down and say 'Right OK, I want to see you regularly, then we can move towards where your areas of fault are, we can enhance on these areas you know, and work with us'.

"If I'm at fault myself in any way, I'm open to all kinds of suggestions, but I refuse to spend the rest of my time fighting with social services."
  3. Anonymous Member

so much for caring scientologists tripadvisor review

4. xenubarb Member

Hmmm...puppy is attacked, puncture wounds present, and these dumb fucks decide to "see if it gets better." Instead of immediately taking to dog to a vet (along with a blank check from Mappin)

I would say that, yes, the Scilon business owners showed a serious lack of concern. But jeez...letting your puppy suffer for a week until it got so bad they HAD to see a vet?

Some people should not own hotels.
    Others should not own dogs.
  5. starborgled Member

Apparently, Camelot Castle Hotel is run on 'The Hubbard Management System' according to US scientologist and Mappin fan Craig Jensen. The system is explained by scientologists here and by someone a bit more critical here.

Jensen informs us of this (and how he uses the system in his own business) in a review of his stay at Camelot with John, Irina and Ted on his MySpace page. Scroll down to see a gushing comment from a certain Fraser Kee Scott who recounts a similarly lovely lunch date with the wonderful John Mappin.

A further bit of research reveals this Fraser Kee Scott as the London gallery owner who admitted to the Evening Standard in 2007 that he was using art (and exploiting British artists) to fund and recruit for the church of scientology.

"I use scientology all the time and it always works" says Fraser in this video. It turns out that the Wikipedia self-publicist Fraser is no stranger to you good folks here in the WWP forum.
  6. JohnnyRUClear Member

The Mappins' labrador got a tasty dog chew.
  7. Anonymous Member

8. Anonymous Member

You mean "Scientology works and it helps people", Fraser? You kept saying that to me at the Valkyrie premiere - and despite a number of requests to explain "how", you couldn't or wouldn't explain just one of your many 'wins' to me.
  9. vaLLarrr Member

Maybe he meant Winalot. Like Camelot.

Feeding recycled tripe to dogs, that's what Fraser & Mappin have in common!

(applaud now)
  10. kissyfur Member

and they decide to see if it gets better IN THE HOTEL where the incident occured. My first read thru I understood 'trauma' to be the poor pup's emotional state but I guess it was the actual physical trauma.

I would have
    1. called the police for a report and gone to the nearest emergency vet (at the same time, since there were two adults there)
    2. GONE HOME
    3. sent all bills to the hotel, including request for a full refund

though as my doggie-tooth shaped scar at the base of my thumb will attest:
    0.5 - i would have put myself between the lab and the pup w/o thinking it thru in the first place.
  11. starborgled Member

Note all that Hubbardy stuff is 'free to educators' - in a climate where 'educators' will be desperate for all the freebies they can get. Cynical but right in keeping with their habit of pushing scientology at the desperate and needy.

And in case you were wondering, 'The Way to Happiness' is "Nonreligious and unbiased" (unless of course, you're the tax man in which case it's a fucking religion, OK?) :)
  12. Anonymous Member

I know dog owners who would behave like that- to a point.

There are certain 'alpha male' types who really believe they are invulnerable, and who believe their pets are as well- until proven otherwise. If they'd *left immediately* and then waited a day or two to realize (uh. dog > vacation) I could see it happen, with some of my more stupid friends- who'd end up blaming themselves after the fact.

The folks in this story seem a degree stupider and assholier than any I've met, but only really different by degree. The concept that pets are "property" rather than sentient beings with wee brains (or some junction of the two) - is regrettably common. It hurts and end-of-cycles critters.

OTOH Scientology hurts and end-of-cycles everyone.
  13. Re: John Mappin and the Camelot Castle Hotel, Tintagel, Cornwall

Maybe we should start a Scientology Animal Cruelty list?

We'll start with Duke the dog, and Mudkips the cat.
  14. Anonymous Member

It gets worse!!

Leave the poor people alone you Fucktards!
  15. starborgled Member

I might just do that :)
  16. starborgled Member

Scary looking gaff. I do like the 2001 recommendation in the window, though. Almost as nice a touch as the rusty drainpipes.

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg
  17. starborgled Member

Dear Mr and Mrs and Mrs Mappin

Since all your income appears to come from a captive audience (unsuspecting coach parties) arriving at the 'hotel' (no one else in their Googling mind would stay there), I've started to research who are your main lines of fresh (albeit grey-haired) blood.

Starting with these people. From their catalogue we find:

I kid you not. Great translation :)
  18. Anonymous Member

rusty drainpipe? is that another euphemism for the fishing buddies?

Considering their location I would have though uphill gardeners more apt anyhow.
  19. starborgled Member

From the CC hotel website - Ted and John on BBC Radio Cornwall (not sure if we've seen this on this thread before) - interesting to hear how 'dead' the reporter sounds + the sound of Irina's voice.

Typical scilon delusions of grandeur, expect the Saudis copying Ted's sculpture in the desert.....anytime... now...soon.. one day, maybe...

(If it happens, it might be visible from the moon...apparently)
  20. starborgled Member

Our man on the ground sends us this today: scan of the letter accompanying the Way To Happiness DVD the scifags have carpet bombed Tintagel with (via Royal Mail). Don't, repeat, don't misuse those signatures in any way.

letter.jpg
  21. Anonymous Member

WTF is with all the toasting the birthday of the (allegedly) corrupt president?

Certainly isn't helping get the cult a foothold
    Reuters AlertNet - Kazakhstan: Ban on Scientology Church

But then corruption doesn't imply a tolerance for crazy nutjobs I guess - and I guess the 'castle' and Tom's paintings don't bring in enough dough compared to $78 million in bribes
  22. starborgled Member

Hyappy Byirthday, Myster Pryesident!

I wonder what the old people singing 'happy birthday' in that video would think if they knew this fella has three wives: Sara Nazarbayeva, the official one, Gulnara Rakisheva, a second one, and Assel Issabayeva, a third one (1999 Miss Astana)

Source: the ever-reliable Wikipedia.
  23. starborgled Member

The latest Camelot Castle Hotel review from TripAdvisor.

This is a genuine review - which is why the scifags will no doubt threaten TripAdvisor and demand its removal and hence I'm posting it here for safekeeping:

••••••••••••••••

There's dire, then there's Camelot 'hotel'

Where to start, firstly the website it tells an impressive tale and looks very good, don't believe it.
    Apon arriving to the hotel the first thing you notice is the classy pebbledashing and gerneral tiredness of the building.

Then when you get through the door you get the walls filled with photos of hollywood stars posing with Mr Mappin all very self indulgent.

The room, so bad it's laughable and we did laugh a lot. We got a room straight out of the 1950's, a wardrobe and bed from a charity shop, a 1970's electric fire, an awesome plastic pod shower and toilet which must of come from an old DanAir plane.

Everything in the room was filthy, the room was freezing, and the blanket on the bed which was like a string vest was all you had to keep warm.

Some rooms didn't have ensuite as there are communal baths and toilets, again straight out of the 1950's which is the last time they were cleaned too.

Luckily we didn't take up the offer of the 'free drink with the owner' on arrival so weren't inducted into the Scientology class of 2010, nor did we have to endure this LightBox tosh.

Lastly Ted's paintings that hang everywhere, seriously it must be a joke they are so bad it makes you cringe!

The hotel could be one of the best in England it's location is second to none, however it really needs a complete gutting and starting again outside and in, it's a shame really.

If you need a laugh stay there, just make sure you aren't paying for it yourself.

•••••••••••••••••••••
  24. xenubarb Member

I'm really jellis that Clamalot Castle isn't within driving distance of me...such fun I could have there!
  25. Anonymous Member

Well, having stayed there I can confirm the negative reviews.

It's a great pity, from the outside it is a nice looking place.

Unfortunately the proprietors are so preoccupied with trying to recruit gullible folk, that they don't cater to guests at all.

It's more like a hostel.

We had to haggle to get some cheese rolls, and even then the bread was stale.

Not acceptable when there's a supermarket 5 minutes walk away.

I got the feeling Mappin's suit was the same velvety nonsense he was wearing in the 1980's, and the other guy made no impression on me at all.

Stuck out there it seems they are in a world of their own, Tintagel is pretty remote.

I don't think the good folks from San Diego would have much fun, as beautiful as it is, it is boring there.

For all the horseshit Scientos talk about the arts, there is no more artless environment than the Clamalot Castle. Shame really.
  26. Anonymous Member

I know these two stonebonkers from way back,there was one occasion when a guest stayed and was a pain in the butt,but he totally hoodwinked Mappin and Ted into thinking he was in the movie business,spent a fortune in the hotel then did a runner in the middle of the night.The locals think he is hilarious,Mappin and Irena used to stroll around town in wetsuits to the locals amusement,Ted reckons he was an artist in a previous vessel or whatever tosh they call it, dont know what agency Mappin got Irina from but she is quite fit in real life,i think shes in it to win as they say.He has an apartment and studio in the hotel for his crap singing where he makes his voice different,got a spiral staircase in it the lot.Ted was an alchoholic before he remembered he was Da vinci,case of champagne a day he reckons.All in all Teds more like Mappins pet, treats him like an idiot mostly,try and get hold of the bbc news interview with him,it used to be on the old website, he thinks he did really well,judge for yourselves.
  27. xenubarb Member

Is this the story you're thinking of?

Scientology --- The Observer: John Mappin sued
  28. kernowanon Member

Hi and welcome are you local too??? drop me a PM

Any way talking of Teds alcoholism perhaps it's why back in 2001 they thought this was a good idea

Hotel Stops selling Alcohol

BBC News | ENGLAND | Hotel stops selling alcohol

Bet that lasted about 2 weeks lol!!
  29. starborgled Member

I read another interview with Mappin where he said he'd also had more than his fair share of alcohol. I suspect the fishing buddies met and hatched up their CC dreams in some Narconon rehab. Their behaviour is that of addicts 'self-medicating' with grandiosity (the 'only scientology can help' brainwash).

After a few weeks researching scientology (as a complete newcomer to the subject apart from having watched John Sweeney and Tommy Davis), here's my summing up:

After a lot of researching scientology and its various 'gateway' organisations, I've reached some conclusions (which explain why I take a stand on it):

Lron was psychologically unstable, considered himself failed by both medication and by the psychiatric profession at the time. Wrote a self-help system that gave him a quick fix (by making him feel in control of himself and superior to everyone NOT using his system).

That system (a self-medication in the form of 'grandiosity') unsurprisingly appealed to lost of people who took it up and started 'auditing' each other and using it to self-medicate.

Lron realised that the way to make money was to take this fan-base of self-medicators and turn it into a religion where the money flowed upwards.

The core of the 'religion' is that sense of grandiosity conferred by being a scientologist (only YOU can help at the scene of a road traffic accident, for example).

What's required to make it work? An endless influx of inadequate, self-medicating people for whom the scientology 'fix' of grandiosity is an attractive alternative.

Solution? Focus your attention on recruiting addicts, self-medicators and people with mental health problems. In short, vulnerable people. Create a range of groups that appear to help society with its problems at the same time as giving you access to those most vulnerable people.

The result? Narconon, Criminon, Youth For Human Rights International and many more scientology front organisations besides.

Finally, make sure you hide behind a continuous claim to be a 'religion' - this façade will give you protection from any criticism and conferr on you special tax breaks and business rate relief.

Bastards.

I have some experience in this field having given up drink, drugs and fags (without LRon's system or anyone else's for that matter) and the concept of self-medication through 'grandiosity' is one proposed by Terry Real in a great book titled 'I don't want to talk about it: The Secret Legacy of Male Depression'. Absolutely worth a read - and I find those concepts really fit what's going on here.
  30. JohnnyRUClear Member

That's actually a pretty incisive summary. It leaves out a lot, but then, there's no way to avoid that when writing only a page. :)
  31. rugby666 Member

hello all

I wrote that review after staying at Camelot Castle last weekend.
    Couldn't believe how bad it was, in am in contact with the Health & Safety Executive to have them visited as when we arrived at night there was no lighting in the corridors, the electrics int he room were dodgy and there was a lack of emergency exit signs.

I'm pretty annoyed TripAdvisor removed my comments, they haven't given me any reason why. There have also removed another 'terrible' comment that came in after mine.

32. Zak McKracken Member

One significant omission:
    Lron took this fan-base and not only allowed/encouraged them to continue self-medicating, but taught them to deny they were doing so- under great penalty in case of failure.

Its not enough that- Lron and his followers heavily abused certain drugs; but that Hubbard required them to deny these were drugs, deny they were addicts, and essentially to keep using their drugs-of-choice until oblivion. It goes far beyond mere "enabling" and ensures that only Hubbard could help them with their addictions- and he most gleefully refused.
  33. amuel1 Member

No never happened,cant stop selling alchohol thats where the profit is
    everything he say,s and does is a scam to make money to give to the church,the more he makes,the more he gives to them,that way they he looks to the church idiots like he is contributing great wealth,but its all coming from the poor saps he rips off.There is no way that the family lawyers are going let any of his inheritance fall into the churches hands.There is an interview when he decided to only print good news in his free rags,he,s dressed in pink and ends up looking a right idiot.Funny thing is though he actually thought he did well.When the church got him he was in l.a on his arse,on drugs the lot,family was sick of him the scis found out who he was and the rest is sci fi history.Check out his imbd page that he wrote for himself,theres a trailer on it for"Dark secrets"shocking movie.
  34. Anonymous Member

Many apply and few are chosen. But, we are grooving in and helping to create the best media staff members and executives in the world. A Independent Local Newspaper Group staff member will always take with them, wherever they go in the world, an unmistakable pride of purpose and professionalism that is fast becoming commented on and legendary across the media industry.

Graduates of our Basic Staff training program from our ILN in House Training Academy will receive a “Certificate of Training and Apprenticeship” and Graduates of our Executive Training Program receive a full “Certification in Business Management Skill” that is recognised all over the world.

A qualified ILN trained media executive has a level of trustworthiness and ability well in excess of the media industry average and we are delighted to invite you to apply to become part of our dedicated team of professionals.

This is without question the most valuable education in business and management that a person can obtain on earth at this time.

We look forward to seeing you graduate and seeing the results that you create with the knowledge that you obtain during your time with us.

Irina Mappin
    Executive Director

Contact us at irinamappin@camelotcastle.com

Hey does this look familiar.
  35. starborgled Member

I love this from the Daily Mail:

"Kooky Cage visits Camelot

He is known to have an interest in matters mystical and he reputedly bought his £865,000 house in Somerset because of its proximity to Glastonbury at the convergence of six ley-lines.

Now, Hollywood star Nicolas Cage has visited the Camelot Castle Hotel in Tintagel, Cornwall, which is co-owned by Winchester-educated scientologist John Mappin, a scion of the Mappin & Webb jewellery dynasty.

PICTURE: Mystery tour: Nicolas Cage (right) with Ted Stourton at Camelot Castle

Afterwards, Mappin boasted to 'dear friends and noble ambassadors of Camelot Castle' that Cage had 'experienced the Light Box'. Quite what 'the Light Box' is remains unclear, but thrice-married Cage was content to pose for a photograph with Mappin's partner and resident artist Ted Stourton.

Says a hotel aide: 'The Light Box is a surprise. It takes about half an hour and it is a sort of tour.'

How very mysterious."

I like that bit best :)
  36. starborgled Member

Found some interesting stuff on an old Camelot Castle website including:

"E-Commerce Internet and stock market flotation

Camelot Castle dot com is currently being structured as an e-commerce trading location.
    Discussions have been entered into with investment banks and shortly further details will be released concerning the opportunity to purchase stock in the e-commerce entity. This will be coordinated through our investment bank and stock brokers. While brokers have yet to be formally appointed all investment inquiries will be forwarded.

Should you wish to receive information concerning this please write to us. Should you feel that you have a product that should be sold or advertised on the camelotcastle.com e-commerce site please contact us directly and your enquiry will be forwarded to the appropriate party. "

Wonder what ever happened to that e-commerce website and that £600million stock market flotation hmmm?

And don't forget,

"....Camelot Castle Hotel will Impact the whole tourist industry of Cornwall and indeed the British Isles"

according to Mappin. And cast your mind back to

"the simultaneous launch of CAMELOTCASTLE.COM which has been predicted by some to become one of the central global e-commerce centres on the net... discussions have begun in Hollywood with two Major US Film studios who's animators are proposing the design of a state of the art e-commerce sight to be fully integrated"

With spelling like that, it was always going to be a mega-hit. While you're there, make sure to read the spaced out 'Your Story' page.

Screenshot2010-07-23at223650.png
  37. amuel1 Member

Its a box with a light in it and the light is connected to a dimmer switch,also have a look at local london newspapers headquarters on google street view,stick the pic up here if you can you will fall off your chair laughing,10 a cullen place in north London you can get the postcode off the website London Locals.
  38. Anonymous Member

Really?

I don't see anything.
    Its a dirty, run-down industrial park.
    Warehouse full of crap, damaged cars, security cameras
  39. amuel1 Member

Thats the place
  40. Anonymous Member

Then excuse me for not falling off my chair laughing. :|