Customize

Jon Atack's essay

Discussion in 'Media' started by Anonymous, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous Member

JON: My concern has always been for those who have been involved in Scientology. My opposition is to Scientology, not to those who have been infected with it. After many years away, licking my wounds, recovering my health and making a deep study of fanaticism in its many forms, I have come back because I am concerned that Scientologists do not recover quickly enough. Indeed, they often don’t recover at all, and continue to live in a dream world.
    In Snapping, Conway and Siegelman talked about ‘information disease’ and say that Scientologists take far longer to recover than other cult members. They reckoned twelve and a half years. While their investigation was far too small to confirm this, I can say, after talking to more than 500 former Scientologists, that it often takes much longer.

Back in the nineties, I was approached by a man who had been housebound for twenty years. His wife had persuaded him that they must return to Saint Hill, in England, to see if that would help. They stayed with a friend of mine, who gave the chap a copy of A Piece of Blue Sky. He read the book, came to see me for an afternoon and went home. A few weeks later, I received a post card, saying that he had found a job. If I’d seen him twenty years before, he would have returned to the world then. The thought scared me.

More recently, a second generation member, who left over a decade ago, told me, after one of our conversations, that she’d used scented fabric conditioner in her laundry for the first time. She had realized that scent may not be a psychiatric plot for world domination after all.
    These ideas stick around, if uninspected. And some of the ideas are far more devastating than Hubbard’s infantile fear of perfume. Many former members spend the rest of their lives believing that people ‘pull it in’ and that we are surrounded by psychopaths. They think that illness is caused by connection to such psychopaths, though some strange psychic effect on the immune system. One former member even told me that I shouldn’t waste time helping Scientologists, because they have ‘pulled it in.’ I asked her if I should allow a child to go under a bus, based on the same reasoning, and suggested that it is only our compassion for others that makes us human. But compassion is not a major element of Scientology.

We all suffer from confirmation bias — pushing aside evidence which falsifies our beliefs, and grabbing at whatever seems to confirm it — and this can be deadly in former members. There are so many taboos to overcome. For instance, I felt quite guilty when I first read about the brain, but it reminded me of a Christadelphian meeting I went to as a teenager, where the congregation laughed uproariously whenever Darwin was mentioned. I realized that I’d been conditioned to feel disgust, which is a standard manipulation, used by all demagogues.

Scientologists steer clear of many taboo words. Very few will say ‘victim’ or talk about ‘sympathy,’ for instance, and there is often confusion about the real meaning of words such as ‘reasonable’ and ‘affinity.’ Hubbard alerted followers to ‘propaganda by redefinition of words,’ and then filled two 500-page dictionaries with his own complex and often contradictory examples (e.g., ‘it’s a tough universe, and only the tigers survive’, but a ‘tiger’ is a bad staff member. Maybe he had a point).

I encourage discussion of the principles of Scientology. It claims to be a science, so it should be susceptible to analysis and evidence-based investigation. Of course, Scientologists are discouraged from talking about the techniques (‘verbal tech’ is a ‘high crime’) or their ‘cases.’ They are also forbidden any complaint about fellow believers, unless it is in the form of a ‘knowledge report.’ So, talking about the principles can be difficult, but I believe that it is the only way to escape Hubbard’s implanting,
    For instance, Hubbard said that affinity always rises alongside communication. The more you communicate with someone, the more they’ll like you. This sounds lovely, but it isn’t true, because, as he also pointed out, bullets are a form of communication. I won’t like you more for shooting me, or for shouting at me. Then take a long hard look at the notion that reality is an agreement (an ‘agreed upon apparency’). The only place where this really applies is in hypnotic trance, where the world is distorted according to the hypnotist’s command. And that sums up Scientology: once you agree with Hubbard, you will see the world through his ideas, and conform your behavior to those ideas.

A friend of mine once challenged an OT, who had told him that she wasn’t worried if WWIII broke out, because she would just ‘audit off the incident.’ She said that she would ‘mock up’ an e-meter to do this. My friend suggested that she mock it up then and there, but she said that her ‘necessity level’ wasn’t high enough. Such are the fantasies of long term believers. It’s time to audit off Scientology and to break the agreement. Let’s face it, there are tens of thousands of former members out there, but, even with the Internet and anonymity, most are staying quiet. There is a reason for that. And, if we are to cure Scientologists, then it will only happen after we start talking.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Anonymous Member

I have to wonder about how scared Jon is of that bolded part when the online versions of A Piece of Blue Sky have been vanishing from the sites that they've been on for years.
    See http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/apobs/contents.htm
    and http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/atack/contents.htm

At least the Wayback machine works on one of them: http://web.archive.org/web/20130127...cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/atack/contents.htm

There's another live copy at http://www.religio.de/books/atack/contents.htm so I guess we'll see if that one also disappears. Quite a coincidence with his "updated version" of APOBS now in print.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

Man's gotta eat.
  4. Anonymous Member

This is the internet. There's no takesies backsies.
  5. Anonymous Member

Except when there is.
  6. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

8. Anonymous Member

I haven't seen anyone calling him out as a hypocrite yet in the comments of Ortega's post of this for wanting more people to wake up from the Scientology mindset by having access to the text he's getting taken down from sites.
  9. Anonymous Member

Rather than some sort of half-way-house or some sort of metaphorical methadone program, those still offering e-meter hits to people who escape the cult are just prolonging the agony and perpetuating the scam. Fuck em all.
  10. Anonymous Member

A Piece of Blue Sky remains the only physical book I purchased about Scientology, so I wanted to get the updated edition. I loved Jon for giving permission to put his book online, but Open Source happened since then and people like Geir Isene are releasing books for free online with the Gnu Public License version 3.
    This stunt removing the online version is really a dick move by Jon (or publishers/people on his behalf) and specifically because this happened I won't be purchasing his updated edition.
  11. Anonymous Member

Congratulations, you're a moran. The first edition can still be found on-line. You seem more interested in dead agenting Mr Atack than you are in discussing the content of his book. Hmmmm . . .

Meanwhile, I've bought the second edition, first on kindle when it came out and, just the other week, also on hard copy. I am glad that I did and I will be buying more copies for gifting/lending to others. The new DOX alone make the book worthwhile. Reading Jon's work in a new unit of time with the additional information and more clearly defined insights presents a stark portrayal of exactly what L Ron Hubbard achieved when his science fiction book "Dianetics" took off. Always only one step ahead of his creditors, constantly having to reinvent his reputation, and with a trail of destroyed lives behind him, penny-a-word drug-addled grifter and devil worshipper, Hubbard managed to wangle his badly written bundle of wish-fulfillment and fantasy-land imaginations into a world-wide fraud protected by one of the most sophisticated intelligence gathering operations any organised crime outfit has ever put in place. I know why people mock when Hubbard is described as a genius but I sometime wish they didn't for it detracts from the fact that he was a mastermind, a criminal mastermind.

The new edition of "Let's seel these people a piece of blue sky", along with "Messiah or madman", is essential reading for those interested in understanding how a few simple lies can be turned into an international spiritual mafia. Jon's work has provided a sturdy framework for many of the books which have appeared since and continues to this day to provide a return path for many who have set out on the Bridge To Xenu. Coupled with his latest essay, and his recent "Church of hate" presentation, Jon demonstrates a firm understanding of the pernicious effects of Scientology both at the societal and personal levels. His intelligent, documented, insightful and speaking of undeniable truth about Scientology and L Ron Hubbard marks Jon out as one of Teegeeack's most effective SPs. So effective, in fact, that both the cult and its private sector contractors work in unison . . .

8992782633_5f58393f41.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Anonymous Member

There's no reason to "seel" this new edition's benefits to us "morans" who paid for the first and already consider it important enough to remain online. I truly hope Jon and all other authors with books in print today re-license them for free as a gesture of that need he articulated in his latest essay to increase readership beyond those who can pay, especially people left with so little after going through the mindfuck of Scientology in any shape or form.
  13. Anonymous Member

http://www.amazon.com/Jon-Atack/e/B000AQ53YC/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Give me a break. $15 is not a fortune for a new book; $12 used. There is nothing wrong with getting paid for your work.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Anonymous Member

There's something wrong with getting paid twice for it. If the old book isn't a threat to the income from the new one, why's it being taken down from multiple sites?
  15. Anonymous Member

You mustn't have read it. That's a month of savings for Sea Org members :p
    Copyright enforcement of old works to reverse permissions and remove them from sites is the worst way to help those stuck in the mindset. Releasing control through a free license to prevent this happening again is the best way.
  16. Anonymous Member

Yeah right because no one will lend anyone a copy or point to one of the several on-line editions and being mind fucked means you can't use Google all by yourself.
  17. Anonymous Member

18. Anonymous Member

And this is in no way reminiscent of the Tom Cruise video being taken down.
  19. Random guy Member

What on earth are you smoking? I found the old book online, no problem. Third result by googling "A piece of blue sky".

Honestly guys, at least make an effort, will you?
    • Like Like x 5
  20. Anonymous Member

What on earth are you smoking? I found the video online, no problem. Third result by googling "Tom Cruise scientology video".

Honestly guys, at least make an effort, will you?
    • Like Like x 1
  21. DeathHamster Member

From what I remember of the great OG work in getting permission for online copies of a number of books, A Piece of Blue Sky wasn't one of them. From what I recall, Jon Atack couldn't give permission due to the legal case in the UK and publication block due to that one paragraph.
  22. RightOn Member

A half way house? who could afford that? the insurance alone would be through the roof. Besides, people just getting out would not want to go to a half way house and be told their whole belief system and the way they have been living their lives and all the money they wasted was all a total scam.
    A lot of people (not all) leaving need to take "baby steps". All they have known is cult life for a good portion of their lives. Don't forget with some it is ALL they have ever known if they were born in. All the people they know are ALL scientologists. They are beyond scared and still feel their eternity is at stake. they fear disconnection from family and friends. It's like being pushed into the deep end and not knowing how to swim. Going to the Indies is like a methadone program for them. Some will wake up further, some will never wake up.
    Do I agree with continuing the mind fuck with Indies? no, but some people who leave have to start somewhere. And please don't forget they still speak the cult lingo, and eat shit and breath Scientology. So sometimes this is the only solution. It's not a perfect solution, but at least they are "out" from under the COS's grasp and suppression.
  23. Dude, I was born in and I didn't need any fucking baby steps. I read through all of A Piece of Blue Sky in one shot and never looked back.

The only idiots who need Scientology Lite are the ones who were moonbatty enough to join $cientology as adults in the first place. Most of the kids who figure it out figure it out fast. Why do you think Jenna Miscavige has never gotten involved in the Indy movement? Or Astra Woodcraft, or Marc Headley?

Ignorant is not the same as stupid.
  24. Anonymous Member

It - the half way house - was a metaphor. If there was such a thing in reality, it would be disastrous to have a Scientology-only half-way house. The better option would be a generic cult-recovery centre, IMHO.

Meanwhile, it still remains true that the last thing a person escaping Scientology needs is more Scientology. Jon Atack's essay explains how slow a process it is to remove oneself from the Hubbardian mindfuck. Those offering escapees more e-meter hits and reinforcing the imaginary concepts locked in Scilon speak are doing more harm than good. Sure, be their friend, chatter in the lingo, let them move at their own pace, and offer all manner of social and practical assistance, but do not believe for a minute that the application of the tech is in any way helpful or therapeutic or of assistance to recovery. Leave that work to the professionals. Puhleeze.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

No they're not. Freezone/indepedent scientology is like methadone. It gets people off the hard drug and helps them eventually kick the habit altogether. Sure some people stay addicted to methadone, but it's less harmful.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  26. Random guy Member

Just remember you may not be representative of all who get out. Using on self as a general is a common fallacy.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. RightOn Member

I am glad you were able to leave.
    But unfortunately, it is not the same for all people who leave. Some people can quit smoking cold turkey, others can't. Some people can quit drinking and some can't. Has nothing to do with stupidity or ignorance. And everyone wakes up at their own pace, and sadly some not at all. The psychiatrist who worked with Steven Fishman said that Steve was the most difficult case he had ever worked with. And it took Fishman a very LONG time to wake up.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Amen to that.
  29. Anonymous Member

Nah - its the same mindfuck koolaid, all people getting their fix in the FreeZone are doing is swapping dealers, thus prolonging the recovery time.
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Anonymous Member

A lot of the people who step into the Indy/FreeZone are people who would never leave Scientology without a source for their next fix of Auditine. It sucks that they're still slurping at Hubbard's teet, but at least they don't (currently) have OSA, Ethics Officers, KRs and crush regging to worry about. Leaving the Indies is easy once they have their feet on the ground again.

The smart ones do a slow fade out the backdoor, no contact with the Indies, and we'll probably never hear about most of them because they're too busy getting on with their lives.
  31. Anonymous Member

I don't know if that's true or not - that some people won't leave the cult unless they can still get their KoolAid. Its certainly a statement often made but more and more seems an unexamined acceptable truth and sly justification for post-cult mindfucking. Personally, I doubt people won't leave unless they can get their fix elswehere because of the in-cult teachings that anything remotely "squirrel" is highly dangerous. If there is a common thread amongst the reasons given for leaving it has to do with some final straw which impacts personally and serves as a wake up call to the fact that the whole thing, auditing included, is bullshit. More likely, access to an e-meter hit is some sort of comfort but, again, that just delays the recovery process. Even if the offer of post-cult auditing did lure Scilon out, that doesn't excuse the post-cult koolaid merchants promoting the mind-fuck and seeking constantly to lure ex members back onto the e-meter. Consuming more of what ails you can not heal you. The really smart ones stay the fuck away from having anything to do with teh tech except to rail against it. As you suggest, I agree that we never hear from most of them, which is understandable and acceptable, although a pity because adding their voice to the cause would be helpful and serve to highlight that having teh tech available outside the cult is unnecessary.
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Anonymous Member

Different people have different psychological reasons for leaving/staying. We all get that and understand that it can be very difficult to generalise. One particular psychological trait that I *think* the FreeZone can seem like a godsend is those who keep thinking the next level will fix them.

For such people who are experiencing problems but still buy the “the next level will fix you” line the FreeZone can seem very attractive. The narrative of “DM has corrupted the tech, we offer standard tech that is 100% source” is just what such people are eager to hear. Remember that such people have already demonstrated their willingness to go another level on the promise that said level would fix them – and in this case the FreeZone is playing the role of another level.

I think this is one particular psychological case where leaving without the FreeZone could be much more unlikely.
  33. amaX Member

Yes the indie movement is waiting for those scientologists who are pissed off that things are not going well under the Cobster. That does not make it a good thing. It makes it another crazy place.
    Remember that the majority of indies/zoners would step right back into organized scientology if DM was gone. (For fuck's sake...some of them would go right back in if the Rinderburns took over!) They wouldn't care about abuse in the Sea Org=remember that was going on while Hubbard was still running the asylum. They would have go right back to embracing disconnection, fair game, and all of the other insane Hubbard rules.
    These are not people we should admire or want to promote in any way.
    • Like Like x 4
  34. Anonymous Member

It was missing some commas.
  35. Anonymous Member

I agree amaX. While not all indies,some, people like Karen would rush back to the open arms of the cult if DM were to disappear. I have said all along that I thought Marty was putting himself in line for COB's job once he is jailed/deposed. Our focus cannot be on the indies, they are too fragmented and at this point really not a threat. Our focus should remain on CoS and leaving nothing for the indies to return to.
    • Like Like x 3
  36. Anonymous Member

37. Where did you attend the Christadelphian meeting? And, why do you seem to respect the group enough to refer to it as "meeting" rather than simply "church"?
  38. fishypants Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.