Customize

June 13 - Saint Louis Missouri - Arrest (Post game)

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by RavenEyes, Jun 13, 2009.

1. RavenEyes Member

re: June 13 - Saint Louis Missouri - Arrest (Post game)

Did the officers just happen to be there or did the CoS call them, do you know?
  2. LocalSP Member

Bummer!
  3. never Member

Oh shi-, not in my state! Camping thread.
  4. Consensus Member

So long as you know what you're doing, and are willing to accept it if your efforts fail, good on you. I think this unconditional 'follow the law, period' stuff is nonsense - though I see the strategic value of cooperating as much as possible. We're not fighting the cops - but we are defending our rights, regardless of who tries to interfere with them.

Anxious to read updates, good luck, and until I see evidence otherwise, I'll assume you know what you're doing.
  5. Hollow Member

*edit*

Moved pictures to First Post, thank you hollow for sauce.
  6. RavenEyes Member

OK - that last pic answers my previous question so nm.
  7. Hollow Member

The usual rent a cop scenario that we have. They stand out there for our entire protest usually.

I can say I respect the anon who was arrested for this immensely. The entire situation was ridiculous in the sense that we have every right to protest on public property so long as we're not impeding traffic. The anon pictured took the bullet to support that right and hopefully our pictures and video will not only clear him of charges, but cause the offending officer to be reprimanded for the incident.
  8. DeathHamster Member

Police license plate: 01!

Respect for anon indeed. Peacefully standing up for your rights is a dirty job, but someone has to do it or they fade away.

I hope the officer was also peaceful and didn't go all baloney sammich on him.
  9. Au Reida Member

me heroļ¼Œhope it works out
  10. LilDebbie Member

big ups for not taking their shit

also big ups for the classy anonymization of pix
  11. Anonymous Member

what was the charge?
  12. Elbynonamous Member

Wooow. Fucking bummer. I wonder if he got a bologna sammich.

Best of luck to Anon!
  13. LolitaTrap Member

Good luck to all y'all in St. Louis. I hope any charges get dropped.

[/useless expression of support from ATL]
  14. Hollow Member

They refused to tell us at first, but apparently it was impeding the flow of traffic...of which there was none.

Once we meet with the police major, who we've had prior contact with, and present the video, we hope to eliminate any misconceptions the arresting officer might have tried to spread.
  15. Herro Member

Interesting
  16. lothar Member

Look, I'm all for standing up for civil rights, but for future reference there are smart ways to do this. If some cops decides to violate civil rights like sidewalk mgmt, whatever.. yes they might be wrong, but if you do not comply they can arrest you for other charges.

In these situations always say I'll respect your commands, but I'm also respectfully asking for a supervisor. Call the local precinct and ask for someone to come out sgt or whatever the setup is. You can wait for an hour. Also you can then call the local media so if you do get arrested for standing on principles the media was there.
  17. Mutante Member

sandwichforskippy.jpg
  18. Scatman Member

The arresting officer is likely being paid by the St. Louis Org indirectly through the SLPD and has the idea that somehow, the laws that he enforces are the orders he gets from the DSA St. Louis. The officer and the chief of police in SL need some education, and if necessary, a legal spanking from a judge.
    I think this Anon has shown tremendous courage and integrity in his civil disobedience.
    Just more evidence that organized scientology is a totalitarian organization and needs to be shut down.
  19. Consensus Member

When this works, it can be a powerful tool - however, getting arrested and having it thrown out in court is an effective way to end the discussion indefinitely. If the precinct is making the decision, it's speculating on whether or not the action is illegal. When a court makes a ruling, there's no speculation.
  20. re: June 13 - Saint Louis Missouri - Arrest (Post game)

+1
  21. Hollow Member

There's more to it than the anon just wanting to make a point, but you'll have to trust me on that part at least until he's out of jail.

Honestly hate to be vague, but we figure it's better not to spill everything at once.

Thanks for the support and concern though. :)
  22. Herro Member

What does a cop misinterpreting the law have to do with scientology being a totalitarian organization?

Anyways, kudos for standing up for yourself. But another effective way to handle this situation is to basically say, hey I'll comply but I'm confused on the law here and I was hoping you could clarify it for me. Often times if you do that they'll take a closer look and realize they're wrong. But regardless it's important that you make sure that your rights are respected.
  23. Hollow Member

My personal impression is that this particular cop isn't working under some totalitarian organization, but an incorrect impression of his duties and what rights both he and the protestors have under the law.

This particular officer has been at several protests and we've had similar discussions that ended in us simply backing down and going through our channels withint the police department. The officer's reply is that "he's not going to tolerate us" protesting on that side of the street, regardless of what we've said. Apparently no one at the police department has dissuaded him of this notion, so here we are.

Like I said, more important details to come, but not until tomorrow, at least. He's being held for 20 hours and then we'll see what they come up with next. Meanwhile, we're prepping our cards so hopefully we come out on top. Once you guys see the video you'll understand exactly how ludicrous this ends up looking on the officer's part.
  24. re: June 13 - Saint Louis Missouri - Arrest (Post game)

Good luck, we're pulling for him.
  25. Mutante Member

Epic Blimp Guy
  26. Hollow Member

Re: June13-Arrest at Saint Louis (Post game)

Enough with the thread derailing.

Besides, I've seen a lot of anons and it's not like we've all popped out of the swimsuit issue. :p
  27. Anonymous Member

^QFT. Personally I buy my clothing at a tentmakers, and unlike Epic St Louis Guy, I'm not ready to get arrested for protesting. The guy needs that space to store all that courage. Respect.
  28. chrisanon Member

I'd like to point out that on the same day this peaceful protester was arrested for breaking a law that appears to exist only in some rent-a-cop's mind, D.C police declined to arrest a violent suspect who broke a law that's actually on the books.

Major, major respect to this anon. Sometimes the only way to educate police about the law is let them arrest you and then have the judge or the DA explain things to them. Easier said than done; I applaud your bravery.
  29. Anonymous Member

Get your ass over the to DC postgame thread... (PROTIP -- 1:05 in YT video)
  30. Scatman Member

Re: June 13 - Saint Louis Missouri - Arrest (Post game)

We don't know for a fact that the law was misinterpreted. We do know that scientology uses Fair Game tactics on its created and imagined enemies. We do know that DSAs give out orders that express or imply the employment of unlawful conduct to effect scientology's political goals.
  31. happy feet Member

Cops love making up their own rules. Let's not blame this on scilon influence until AFTER the much hinted at follow-up. K?
  32. Anonymous Member

Protip: One of them is a trap
  33. CLOCKSHIT Member

Cops don't like anyone making intelligent arguments to their intimidating voice control commands and most of them think they are above the law anyway. So if you intelligently argue with them you are set for a rude awakening and some jail time. Its the deadly weapon they carry makes them think they can pull it on anyone at anytime and fire especially if they are in front of rolling cameras.

If they would pay attention to real crimes maybe there would be less criminals out on the streets.

From other posts sounds like this cop is a knuckle head anyway and should be posted to the donuts shop permanently!

Good luck SL Anons!
  34. Consensus Member

I wouldn't paint all cops with such broad a brush, especially when so many have been so good to us.

But there is definitely a social divide between people who believe in Legitimate Authority and those that reject the very concepts. Cops are trained to believe in Legitimate Authority, and are used by the Powers That Be to convince others that Legitimate Authority exists. It's about social control. In any case, cops aren't inherently bad people - but the role they play kinda necessitates that they'll clash with those that reject Legitimate Authority.
    ... And really, every time an Anon gets attacked and we go running to the police to enforce the law, we're asking them to exercise their Legitimate Authority. So, y'know.

edit - and the great irony of Scientology is that they'll rush to the cops asking them to exercise their Legitimate Authority, but in truth believe that the CoS is the rightful legitimate authority for the world.
  35. Herro Member

Excellent. Keep up the great work! :D
  36. Anonymous Member

We don't know the whole story here, but this looks like something that won't hold up in court.

We always do what the cops ask us to do where we protest. We know the cult calls them out 50 times before the cops finally sigh and realize they're going to have to be taken away from actually doing their job to go listen to the cult BAWWWWWW.

But every cell has to do what's best for their group and use their own judgment when situations arise.

I look forward to hearing that the charges have been dropped and this works out well for an Anon who looks like he chose civil disobedience today.
  37. Ann O'Nymous Member

IMHO, if police officers were not allowed to make off-duty work - moreover in official uniforms - this type of situation would not happen. That is the case in many European countries and we seem to be less affected by this type of behavior.

They do a difficult job and having to take into account orders from two different sources does not help. This type of promiscuity gives the scientologists an opportunity to get their vision of us known, and some do fall for it.
  38. anonski Member

Actually, I know that epic STL guy makes a yearly trip to Chicago on his bike for the hell of it. He may be a little porky, but he's in shape and I respect the hell out of him, almost to the point of ghey secks. Ace is a cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything.

I was there, and the pictures tell 95% of the story.

Ace walked over to talk to the cop about why he wasn't allowing us on that side of the street. We've been allowed before and have had particular trouble before with this cop on this issue.

Ace continued to talk to the cop. I believe that he held up his sign, but at the same time, he was continuing to converse with the officer. You can't tell because of the face hider, but he was facing the cop and talking with him the entire time.

Ace was arrested by the cop. At some point in the discussion, the cop announced that he was arresting him. Ace very peacefully followed all of the cops instructions (other than moving off of a public sidewalk), removing his backpack and camera, putting his hands behind his back, allowed himself to be cuffed, and put into a police car.

The police station has said that he is being charged with obstructing traffic, and that he will be held for around 20 hours, and that we cannot talk to him at this time. After we talk to him, we will decide what to do. We have very good video of the entire event, but we're waiting to get his take before we release it.

EDIT: The scary thing, and the reason that this is an issue to us, is because the police's judgement is so arbitrary. If they're saying that people are obstructing traffic by standing on that side, then they can easily say the same thing about our side. Before, during, and after Ace was arrested, they allowed all kinds of other people to walk down that sidewalk... just not us. We need a definitive judgement in this case because the police have been getting worse and worse about making up arbitrary rules on the fly for the hell of it... this officer in particular.
  39. CantPickaName Member

Why the fuck are they holding him for 20 hrs??
  40. Anonymous Member

Well done guys.
    I might suggest that you post the video uncut to jewtube and vimeo, at least it will be out there just in case the original disappears.