Customize

Kate Wickstrom sues Narconon and her ex-husband Per Wickstrom

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by muldrake, Jul 31, 2008.

1. muldrake Member

Kate Wickstrom sues Narconon and her ex-husband Per Wickstrom

Credit where credit is due. "Out of the Dark" posted this to alt.religion.scientology.

13th Circuit Court Civil Records

Kate Wickstrom and Per Wickstrom were previously running this Narconon together. Kate Wickstrom is Per Wickstrom's wife, although I doubt this is likely to last long. Kate Wickstrom is suing her soon-to-be-ex-husband as well as Narconon. Thus, somehow, the financial ugliness revealed in whatever is going on in this suit may come out along with the ugliness in the marriage.

I really have no idea what this is all about, but whatever it is, it is DELICIOUS. This is almost guaranteed to be big.
  2. anon252525 Member

Re: Kate Wickstrom sues Narconon and her ex-husband Per Wickstrom

oooo sweet~
  3. RHill Member

They have been divorced since a while now:

4. Ten Tigers Member

Let the sweet sweet wine of the cult's tears flow... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  5. Anonyphunt Member

cry me a mudkip

;)
  6. GrogStat Member

Should we tip off the FBI that this case might make an excellent data mining opportunity for their RICO case?
  7. Enturbonegro Member

I wish there was more information; however, I have a vague inkling as to what this case is about. All three attorneys have real estate law listed on their areas of practice; however, 2 of them are also environmental law experts.

Looking at the co-defendants---Narconon Intl, Narconon Stone Hawk, TIA Corp (the corp that Kate owned that leased the land to Stone Hawk), I'm thinking there's a dispute over ownership, or mortgages, or some other boring shit that I don't know anything about.

However, it gets more interesting. on ars, they posted the circuit court docs, but also a bunch of liens the state has slapped on Narconon Stone Hawk recently.
  8. tazor Member

Wonder if Pooks knows these people?
  9. Anon23517 Member

IANAL, but I would say yes, can't hurt, right?
  10. TomVorm Member

Someone needs to obtain copies of these filings and web them, before attorneys for Narconon
    have a chance to suppress them. They could be posted side-by-side, with Narconon's own ads
    for StoneHawk.
    (Can you imagine the impact that would have, on prospective clients of this facility?)

Grand Traverse County Circuit Court Records
    Phone (231) 922-4710
    328 Washington St, Suite 400
    Traverse City, MI 49684

Case #: 2008-26654 CZ

Original Complaint of July 2, 2008
    Requests for Admissions July 7, 2008
    Response by Defendant July 21, 2008
  11. muldrake Member

Efforts in this direction are already underway. But mail is slow. Obviously anyone in the general area of this court is free to jump on this themselves and give the clerk's office a visit to scope out (and one would hope copy) the files. Different people might have different ideas about what in the (soon to be voluminous) files is worth copying.

Also, I'd make a wild guess that there is or soon will be a divorce action going on in the family part of the court (or whichever court is relevant). That might be juicy, too, if the records are not private or are only partly private.
  12. anonymous3469 Member

Anons needed for requesting? Or is Unanimous on this already?
  13. muldrake Member

Dave Touretzky delivers.

Kate Wickstrom's Narconon Lawsuit

Basically, to paraphrase another's explanation of it to me, Kate and Per Wickstrom used to own Narconon Stone Hawk (NNSH) as well as the land it's on. When Kate and Per split, Kate was going to sell back NNSH and the land to Per. However, according to the suit, Per didn't pay up on time, and NN Int revoked NNSH's license.

Now without the license, an org like this is essentially worthless.

I believe there's also whiffs of a noncompete agreement, but Per is trying to, or has set up a 12 Step-based program of some kind.

I haven't read all these voluminous documents, but there should be useful information in here, especially as to the internal organization of Narconon orgs.
  14. tikk Member

Questions regarding the lawsuit aside, the most interesting thing may wind up being exhibit 10, which is a standard licensing agreement between Narconon International and a Narconon franchise (here, Narconon Stonehawk). The terms of the relationship overwhelmingly favor the parent--NN Int gets 10% gross, which must be paid weekly; NN Int may show up to inspect the franchise at any time and the franchise must foot whatever costs are incurred in such an inspection; the franchise may not use the mark "LRH," a restriction which may have something to do IRS compliance, although that's just speculation.

It would be helpful if exhibit 10 were transcribed by someone with spare time actually. (yeah, i know, nypa...)
  15. TomVorm Member

Consider Exhibit 11: Narconon cancelled StoneHawk's license!

Reason given was the conflict of interest (Narconon was paying to lease the property from TIA Co., which the Wickstroms themselves owned).

The money kept rolling in for Wickstrom/TIA, despite many complaints from clients. But it was this fact (originally uncovered by a critic) from Narconon StoneHawk's IRS 990 filings, that apparently (according to Narconon itself) led to the closure of this facility.

BIG WIN!
  16. tikk Member

It's not entirely clear, because Kate Wickstrom's complaint begs more questions than it answers, but what Kate is basically alleging is that NN Int's revocation of Stonehawk's license was part of a conspiracy with Per. Although it's not clear exactly how the conspiracy would work (i.e., benefit the conspiring parties), it's easy enough to see how NN Int's effective devaluation of Stonehawk would harm Kate by negating Per's obligations in his capacity as President of NN Stonehawk under the various agreements that were signed.

I could believe Kate's conspiracy theory (not "conspiracy theory"), but I don't understand why she didn't also allege fraud, because that's what her story adds up to. But again, the complaint has some gaps, although it'll be good enough to get her into court. Perhaps an amended complaint alleging fraud is yet to come.
  17. RHill Member

I read the contract and it appears to be pretty much the same as what ABLE submitted to the IRS in 1993, the one on the left side:

Differences between Narconon International/Narconon center license agreement (Marks) between circa 1990 and circa 2000

Changes are the address of Narconon International, and the license fee was 5% on that older contract. Maybe there is something else I overlooked.
  18. I am not sure if you guys has noticed this complaints regarding per wickstrom