Customize

Kevin Smith claims Tom Cruise could run for U.S. President.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Unlisted, Mar 3, 2008.

?

Tom Cruise for Prez?

Yes 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No 6 vote(s) 100.0%
  1. Unlisted Member

Kevin Smith claims Tom Cruise could run for U.S. President.

Kevin Smith claims Tom Cruise could run for U.S. President. The 'Dogma' director insists Tom would have a great chance of winning an election because of his charm and charisma, but thinks his recent strange antics have damaged his reputation.

Speaking about Tom, who famously jumped up on Oprah Winfrey's couch when he was interviewed about his future wife Katie Holmes, Kevin told Britain's FHM magazine: "He's been on the chopping block for the last two years, and it was Ben Affleck before him. That's what happens, you go from being the golden boy to a low point when the public decide to move on."

"But if it wasn't for that couch-jumping s**t, Tom Cruise could have run for President. Because when he's talking to you, he's never looking over your shoulder to see if anyone more important is in the room."

Meanwhile, Kevin believes producer Harvey Weinstein has a bad reputation because he stands by his strong opinions. He said: "He has a bad reputation because he stands by his convictions, even if he's wrong. You know the expression, 'That's not a hill I want to die on'? Harvey will die on every hill. He digs in, he's aggressive. He went to the Sundance Film Festival and got into a fight."

Source: Exposay[/url:1g2wy8vz] via ONTD[/url:1g2wy8vz]

:lol:
  2. Galkanon Member

Re: Kevin Smith claims Tom Cruise could run for U.S. President.

Silent Bob should be Silent.
  3. ormuzd Member

Maybe not, but he doesn't seem to have any problem stepping over the children working on the Freewinds.
  4. BlankyBlank Member

WIN.
  5. AnonMomAnon Member

tommy's stumpy little legs just stepping over children on the freewinds? did someone give tommy a boost? did he have to take a run at them and then leap?
  6. Tweenon Member

The kids were ordered to lay down so that he could make it over. =\
  7. AnonMomAnon Member

ahhhh! gotcha.

thanks, tweenon!
  8. ARC_Break Member

When I've heard Kevin Smith speak, he's always struck me as being reasonably intelligent and informed on the points he talks about. However, he and I have to disagree on this point.

While Tom Cruise has the public recognition factor (which is a very strong selling point), I feel that the videos and interviews that he's done pretty much destroys his chances of being elected.

But even if he was nominated for a specific party, there would be a miriad of negative ads attacking him, which he couldn't defend against. He'd be forced to acknowledge his beliefs publically. Voters showed that they were fairly uneasy with a mormon president, what do you think their reaction would be to a scientologist.

This isn't even mentioning that I'm fairly certain the church would be 100% against his running. This would put their views into the spotlight and given the public interest, the media would go after the church. Could you imagine the headlines?

Just my thoughts.
  9. Anon1376 Member

While I like Kevin Smith and his works, he has been subjected to quite a bit of Scientology.
    Jason Lee > Juuuuust about every movie
    Will Smith > Jersey Girl

It is not suprising that he would be caught up in this dog eat dogma world of religious nuttiness.
    I think that Kevin smith is a live and let live individual who just hasn't really been exposed or at least ackowledged the dark DARK side of $cientology. As you know, you can rarely talk to one in the fold without them at least partially trying to win you over (or handle you). I'm sure this is the reason ole Tom looks you square in the eye, he wants to look right into your Thetan and recruit one body (and checkbook) at a time.
  10. MollyBloom Member

Is it possible that he was being sarcastic?
  11. mortified Member

You know, he's probably right...but considering the fact that someone released a picture of Barack Obama in traditional Somali dress and tried to pass it off as evidence of an affiliation with terrorism.... I've got to assume that people would be right on top of the smear tactics for Tommy as well....not that they'd have to dig very deep.

Besides, the jesus-lovin' masses probably wouldn't take too kindly to lron's comments about their saviour....and I'm sure that would be all over the news too.

Celebrities are generally allowed their quirks...politicians must hide them at all costs.
  12. thewalker Member

I have to admit I am a huge fan of kevin smith. so, I really hope that he was being sarcastic.

Tom defines himself as "a scientologist". to him, that is the end all be all of his existance. tom as president could not uphold the constitional mandate of seperation of church and state, 'nuff said.
  13. AnonSoul Member

The quote reads differently to everyone I suppose but my interpretation of it is that his opinion has more to do with the publics opinion of Tommy than his own.

If he hadn't gone off the deep end and started showing how batshit crazy he was, he might have been able to continue his unchecked rise without the general public not knowing (or caring for that matter) that he'd been auditted one to many times (watch where you place those metal rod thingies). :tom: The batshit crazy stuff knocked him off of his pedestal and has sped his decline in the eyes of the public. Now all he has left (well maybe not "all") are the rest of the asylum dwellers.

I sincerely doubt that Kevin Smith would throw his lot in the the scilons.
  14. Re: Kevin Smith claims Tom Cruise could run for U.S. President.

I really do think Smith was talking out of the side of his mouth. If you've ever heard him talk about really IMPORTANT things (you know - movies, anime, Green Arrow - things like that), then you know Kevin has too much imagination to be suckered into a cult that firsts asks you to stop thinking for yourself.

I think his follow-up statement about Weinstein is pretty revealing, because it's an ironic statement to say that someone who is opinionated cannot be considered popular in Hollywood. In Hollywood, it's very dangerous to have unpopular opinions - things like that can get you blacklisted.

And as far as Tom Cruise's "100 yard stare" that he bores into people's eyes? Cruise actually thinks he's controlling people's minds when he does that. I shit you not. He believes if he stares deeply enough into your eyes, he can get you to do and think whatever he says. Weird. One day I'll have to tell my creepy Tom Cruise story - personal experience, and really creepy.
  15. Anon Y. Mouse Member

Whoever the hell kelvin Smyth is, tell him to go to hell for me. Better yet, swing a baseball bat at his head.
  16. joeybsmash Member

This.
  17. Canadanon Member

Nah, I think Kevin Smith is good people. Just joking around with this statement, not to be taken literally. The way I see it is that all he meant was that before Tom became a batshit insane couch-jumper, he had some credibility. A lot of people in Hollywood respected him and the public loved him. A lot. And since he's now a loony, he's fallen out of favour with a lot of people. Mostly the public.

All Kevin Smith was meaning (I think) was that before are this, Cruise -- hypothetically -- could have become President because he was so popular. Now he's that creepy guy that everyone stays away from.
  18. Re: Kevin Smith claims Tom Cruise could run for U.S. President.

One day? Tell us now dammit! :p
  19. argh Member

Yes Please!
  20. Re: Kevin Smith claims Tom Cruise could run for U.S. President.

Don't forget that one of his bestest buddies (Jason Lee) is heavy into Scientology. Bestest buddies insofar as his daugher's godfather is Jason Lee. I wouldn't say that it would be entirely implausible for him to be meaning it.
  21. Re: Kevin Smith claims Tom Cruise could run for U.S. President.

A Scientologist's political ideology is Fascism.

FDR would writhe in his grave...
  22. AnonMomAnon Member

grrrrr......yes, tell us NOW!
  23. Re: Kevin Smith claims Tom Cruise could run for U.S. President.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    tomtemplatethinkingtc2.jpg

Tom as president? Speech bubbles?

Knock yourselves out :D
  24. Canadanon Member

Oh exploitable...