Customize

Kyle Brennan vs Scientology: Oral arguments in Jacksonville September 14

Discussion in 'Kyle Brennan' started by Anonymous, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Anonymous Member

I live in another state but am planning on coming. I don't know if there are any anons or exes in Jacksonville, but Orlando is just a couple of hours away. The judges need to see that people in society understand that Kyle's death is important so it is important to have court watchers there on the morning of September 14.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Anonymous Member

I'm guessing no anon masks in court? Anyone think it would be a good idea to stand outside the court with some signage?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Anonymous Member

This is definitely a great idea. I am planning on coming and will make a sign!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. anonymous612 Member

Please notify the Jacksonville police in advance to minimize the chances of misunderstanding. And for the love of god, PLEASE make sure you're on public property.

Here's the JSO's contact information. I would recommend finding out which patrol zone/district/precinct the courthouse is in and calling the number listed for that one, and explaining that you'd like to notify them that you have a protest planned on this day and would they please let you know who you should direct that call to?
    http://www.coj.net/departments/sheriffs-office/contacting-jso.aspx

EDIT: Okay, looks like the courthouse is in zone 1 (and I believe subsection a). Here's their contact information. The commanding officer is Assistant Chief Michelle Cook.

I would recommend phone rather than email, both for response time and for less likelihood of being public record.

Gateway Mall
    5258-13 Norwood Ave.
    Jacksonville, FL 32209
    Phone: (904) 924-5361
    Fax: (904) 924-5371
    Hours: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mon. - Fri.
    e-mail:JSOzone1@jaxsheriff.org

Give them how many people you expect to show up, where you'll be, when you'll be there, and when you expect to leave. The contact information of someone who can be your liaison with them would be nice, too.

If you do this before raids, trust me, they'll love you at any future protests you have. This lets them make sure they have enough people on duty, and gives them a chance to look into us and our history and the situation in general, so you stand a better chance of getting officers who know wtf they're talking about. Ten minutes of effort on your part = happy officers = happy protesters = unhappy scientologists.

Most importantly, go to this website http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/Chapter876 and print off 876.11 through 876.16. Make sure you have multiple copies; one for each protester would be ideal. BRING THEM WITH YOU. And read it in advance, and make SURE you understand it well enough to explain it. If there's anything at all you don't follow about it, please tell me so I can make sure you're set with them. We do not protest in Jacksonville regularly, so the police are not used to seeing people in masks. And the Florida law is notoriously forgettable, so they don't always remember it's allowed.

Specifically, if they challenge you on wearing masks, show them 876.155:

What this means, in summary, is that wearing a mask is only illegal IF:
    1) You're using it to INTENTIONALLY deprive someone of their civil rights.
    2) You're using it to INTENTIONALLY threaten or intimidate someone, with force or violence.
    3) You're using it to INTENTIONALLY threaten or intimidate someone without force or violence.
    4) You're using it to hide your identity while you break the law (for instance, robbing a bank).

Note the repeated phrase "with the intent to intimidate." Scientologists cannot go "omfg they scared me, make them take it off." You have to INTEND to scare them. So do not follow individuals, do not harass individuals, in fact, don't target individuals at all. Be behaved and use common sense and don't be a fucking asshole, and there will be pretty much nothing they could possibly do to force you to remove the mask.

Again, read through 876.11 through 876.16, and let me know if there's something else you don't understand about it. I guarantee they will challenge you on this, so be prepared to POLITELY defend it. If necessary, go up the chain of command and POLITELY request a supervising officer. You know, do the police version of asking to speak to their manager. Don't take no for an answer, you are entitled to appeal an officer's decision (presuming there isn't, like, an immediate public safety crisis, of course).
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Anonymous Member

You think the scions will even be there? I'll go up to show support, but does wearing a mask and carrying signs draw the wrong type of attention in a town that doesn't see that type of protest? Or, does it help achieve more attention to an important case? There's nothing in the local news about this case.
  7. anonymous612 Member

Your call. Don't try to wear the mask inside, of course. And if you decide to protest outside, I suggest you print off fliers. With as long as it's been since Jacksonville had a protest, you'd probably wind up with a lot of people going "wtf is going on here?"

I'm not sure what you mean by "wrong type of attention" though.
  8. Anonymous Member

Low profile would be better.
  9. Anonymous Member

I guess any attention is good.
  10. anonymous612 Member

Courthouse looks like it's smack in the middle of town. If you do decide to protest out front, you'd definitely be noticed.
  11. Anonymous Member

c47bbe76.jpg
  12. YouSeeNothing Member

Lol
  13. Anonymous Member

I'm definitely going up there to show support. I've got a color laser printer if anyone wants me to print up some flyers. Any suggestions?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. anonymous612 Member

Something targeted specifically at Jacksonville might be nice. Like a "Why should we care about Scientology, how does it affect us?" type thing. We had some success with that in...I think Ocala?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Anonymous Member

How about the scientology books in our public schools and why the cult is dangerous?
    • Like Like x 4
  16. YouSeeNothing Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. Anonymous Member

Hey 6, thanks for the greast pro-tips!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Anonymous Member

ho
    how about P.A.S. (parents against sciontology)?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. moarxenu Member

There are great ideas in this thread but everyone is posting anonymously lol. I can't make it to Jacksonville cuz I no haz enuf jewgoldz, but I am volunteering as a contact point. PM me if you are planning to attend and I will pass your names to anons I know are coming, and ya'll can do some coordinating for enturbulation with a private convo here. O hai, OSA!

For Kyle And Great Justice!
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. skeptic2girl Member

Me either. I've never been to Jacksonville, but the GF masks ALWAYS draw attention, mostly positive. As long as you wear them outside, I would do it.
    And have signs.

Blockposters.com is really handy for printing out pictures in 8x11 pages and then assembling them as a poster on a sign -- maybe a piece of foam board.

You can then cover the sign with strips of clear packing tape.

I like signs because it gets the attentions of drivers-by, as well as passers-by, who often will ask what's up.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. anonysamvines Member

to go with what 6 says about this
    "Specifically, if they challenge you on wearing masks, show them 876.155:"

be very clear to explain about Fairgaming (practise saying it till it rolls off your tongue or preferably add a statement about it to the suggested excellent fliers) and that your INTENT is to protect your identity and safety from harassment etc.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  22. YouSeeNothing Member

I started sending the Kyle Brennan Oral Argument link to local news outlets. There has been no mention in the local news any coverage could help. Like I said above, I'll print anything out that you guys want. I'll put together a flyer about LRH in public schools and print a bunch out for anyone who wants them too.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. YouSeeNothing Member

BTW, I still haven't decided whether or not to go anon. Never protested anon IRL and I want to be able to go into the court room to show support.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. anonymous612 Member

If you don't care if they know who you are, you could always protest beforehand and then demask to go inside.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. Anonymous Member

psalms.png

For Kyle and Great Justice.
    • Like Like x 4
  26. anonymous612 Member

<3 CW anons en route. Try to leave some protesting for us.
    • Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Albion Member

• Like Like x 4
  28. YouSeeNothing Member

Flyers printed. Heading out.
    • Like Like x 6
  29. Random guy Member

Good speed people!
    • Like Like x 4
  30. RightOn Member

go go go!
    be careful!
    • Like Like x 3
  31. YouSeeNothing Member

Just got back from the courthouse. It was great meeting all you other anons and Kyle Brennan supporters. Being the lone anon from Jax, and this being my first protest, I arrived not knowing what to expect. Any concerns I had were quickly dispelled after meeting AMA and six. The police presence was great, friendly, it also turned out that I knew the watch commander. :)

In regards to the hearing. I think it went very well for our side. I'll let the others go into detail as they are more familiar with the case. But, personally, I expect good things to happen come November.

It was, for me, a very emotional setting. Seeing the emotions in Kyle's family in contrast to the blank stares of the scilons in the courtroom was pretty powerful. Having never met a scilon--that I know of--I immediately learned how to recognize them. They are the people with no facial expression, angry glances, no affectation whatsoever. They just stared ahead, barely blinking. Creepy.

All of us went into the court room, except for one brave solo anon. They decided to stay outside, alone, with their sign and handed out the flyers that I brought. Thank you, lone anon. ;)

I look forward to hearing what the others say and their perceptions on the hearing. I believe there will even be a group photo, but we'll have to wait until they get to wherever they were heading. ;)
    • Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 12
  32. Anonymous Member

Thanks for attending, and for the report :)

1. Yes, their eyes are dead.
    2. No Anon should ever protest alone. Too dangerous.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  33. YouSeeNothing Member

The police officers kept company with him. There was no scilon presence that we know of outside of the courtroom. I'll let the anon give his side.
    • Like Like x 4
  34. Parrishgolfer Member

Thanks for the updates! Just spent the last few hours researching this case...cannot believe I hadn't come across it before now. What keystone cops they've got there in Clearwater. I'm a PI by trade and couldn't believe the way the crime scene was investigated. Still haven't heard if Tom Brennan's hands were ever traced for gun shot residue??? Disgusting!
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  35. anon walker Moderator

Apparently, they ignored the usual steps, but the CWPD has ignored an awful lot over the years, usually in the cult's favor. However, that department isn't the same as beat cops, and those guys are pretty ok when it comes to watching your back. Like LAPD, there are good ones and bad ones. I've seen both flavors in Los Angeles.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  36. RightOn Member

Glad all went well
    • Agree Agree x 3
  37. YouSeeNothing Member

Anyone heard from the Clearwater crew yet? They were still protesting when I left.
  38. Random guy Member

Thanks for the report!
    • Agree Agree x 3
  39. Eudae Member

I would understand your viewpoint if I were raiding a Scientology area. This was a court house situated near a park, and there's no real Scilon establishment anywhere near Jacksonville aside from one Narconon. There were police officers everywhere, and the only thing they asked me was "Who was that one girl (Natalie Portman) in V for Vendetta?" and that was it. Things would have been messier had 6 not contacted them ahead of times and cleared them on all the rules, so many thanks to her efforts.

I didn't run into any Scilons before, during, or after the raid. It was about two and a half hours of walking around different blocks, informing people about the Kyle Brennan case and answering a few questions about Scientology itself, like what they believe. A lot of people saw the 'Religion is Free, Scientology is Neither' sign and 'We Remember Kyle Brennan', and I had nice conversations with about twenty or twenty-five different people. I was comfortable enough, and far enough away from the courthouse to take off my mask talking to some people, because when you're talking about an emotional subject like Kyle Brennan's death they need to see your eyes.

Surprisingly, one of the guys I talked to actually had to just recently deprogram his wife after she was indoctrinated into a different cult, (I can't remember the name, it started with a C), so he was rapt with attention and it was a scary reminder that Scientologists aren't the only ones preying on people. It felt like more good was being done in the courtroom than out on the streets, but everyone who has prior knowledge of Scientology can spread that to their friends and family, hopefully preventing horrific incidents like that man's wife had to go through.

The biggest surprise was coming back to the Court House as 6, YouSeeNothing, and everyone else pouring out. 6 wanted to introduce me to the legal team, but I had no idea Kyle Brennan's mom would actually be there. She clasped my hand and thanked us for protesting on behalf of her son in a choked voice, and we gave her AMA's 'We Remember Kyle Brennan' poster as a gift. It was incredibly touching to see her in person, pointing to the pictures on the sign and describing her favorite one. MoarXenu took a big group picture with the protestors and legal team, which he should upload sometime tonight.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all of YouSeeNothing's fliers on 'Scientology Scriptures in Duvon Public School Libraries' were handed out, and about half of them I mentioned how the children would eventually be indoctrinated to join the Sea Org working 40-100 hours a week. Except for one which blew into a puddle, my bad:(.
    • Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  40. Eudae Member

I can't comment on what they're doing right now, but I know they're still out there. They're either doing a memorial protest or a 24-hour one, can't remember.