Customize

Leah Remini TV series about how Scientology rips families apart

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Yeah so.
    I suggested Serge bc I remembered bits of his story. Maybe it's not good for the series/him.
    Hope he is okay. Last update was hopeful. Poor kid. That is all.
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology’s Lame Response

By Mike Rinder, March 16, 2017

Quote:

The news that A&E has commissioned another 10 episodes of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath brought another lame response from scientology.

Instead of responding to ANYTHING exposed in the first episodes, they did the scientology thing and sought to “attack the attacker.”

This is how they responded to The Hollywood Reporter:

The organization, who continues to refute Remini’s claims and the information presented on her show, gave a statement to THR claiming A&E paid people to appear on-screen.

“Real transparency would be for A&E to detail all forms of compensation made to sources spreading religious hate and bigotry on Leah Remini’s show,” they said.

They then went further with this stupid line of attack in a statement to Page Six:

But a rep for Scientology responded on Wednesday by alleging Remini’s “teamed with A&E to shamelessly turn religious hate into a commodity by treating it as entertainment” and accused the network of “compensating Remini’s sources” for the show.

“Real transparency would be for A&E to detail all forms of compensation made to sources spreading religious hate and bigotry on Leah Remini’s show,” a Scientology rep said in a statement to Page Six. “When the network cancelled ‘Generation KKK,’ the network claimed that paying sources violated company policies. Yet at the same time it was hypocritically compensating Remini’s sources with money and significant in-kind payments. A&E can’t have it both [ways].”
    The religion’s rep further alleged to Page Six, “A&E has a duty to conduct a thorough investigation into the extent to which Leah Remini’s show violates its own internal policies,”
    The church — which has created an entire Web site dedicated to Remini’s show, leahreminiaftermath.com — alleges that one person paid for the show is former member Mike Rinder.

Well, they are the boy who cried wolf on steroids.

Scientology knows full well:

Leah Remini was paid as Exec Producer. Why shouldn’t she be? It is no secret and unlike scientology, she has not lied about it.

I was paid as a consultant (and as I have said earlier on this blog, the amount of money was not enough money to live on — I would have been much better off financially not to have devoted any time to the show last year).

Nobody else who appeared on the show was paid a dime. Their airfare and hotel were covered if they had to travel to be filmed.

This includes:

Amy and Mat Pesch and Amy’s family
    Tom DeVocht
    Jeff Hawkins
    Mary, David and Michael Kahn
    Aaron Smith-Levin
    Marc and Claire Headley (and any of the other people that were seen in that episode at their house)
    Gary, Lois, Brett, Jessie and Brandon Reisdorf
    Ron and Becky Miscavige
    Tony Ortega
    John Sweeney
    Mark Bunker
    Karen DeLaCarriere
    Jeffrey Augustine
    Paulette Cooper
    Chris Shelton
    Steve Hassan
    Ray Jeffrey
    Lawrence Wright

And anyone else I may have inadvertently omitted. That is more about 30 people who were paid not one thin dime.

And that is the totality of the information scientology claims to want to know. But it is information they ALREADY know. But they just keep repeating it, as if by saying it repeatedly it will somehow magically become “an issue.” It’s not. They are throwing shit against the wall to see if anything will stick. And it’s low grade shit. They cannot respond to what these people said or the facts they recounted. And they choose to avoid that by diverting attention to their self-created and non-existent controversy. (And just as a note — it was A&E that pulled the plug on their KKK show, not scientology, who now act as though they have some moral high ground to tell A&E what shows they should air.)

Now, on the subject of financial transparency, here are a few questions scientology has NOT answered that would shed some real light:

1. How much money has Monique Yingling been paid by all church related entities over the past 20 years – just round it off to the nearest million. How much does she bill an hour to be the “scientology spokesperson.”

2. How much was David Miscavige paid last year? And what was the value of all non-monetary gifts and perks he received?

3. How much money does the IAS have? Rounded to the nearest hundred million.

4. How much money does Church of Scientology International have?

5. How much money does Church of Spiritual Technology have? FSO? CSRT? BMS? etc etc Hell, to make it easy, just tell us what you report as TOTAL SEA ORG RESERVES stat each week and you can round it off to the nearest hundred million.

And note, though they claim to “refute Remini’s claims” they offer NO specifics whatsoever to anything, and provide no evidence that anything at all is untrue. Though they did a pretty good job of demonstrating that what Leah said about how they respond to criticism IS true — with PI’s/stalkers and hate websites.

And finally, unlike scientology:

We are not selling anything
    We are not holding people hostage
    We are not hurting people
    And we haven’t amassed 3 billion dollars in assets

Source: http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientologys-lame-response/
    • Like Like x 5
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology goes into full smear mode in reaction to Leah Remini getting 2nd season

By Tony Ortega, March 18, 2017

Excerpt:

Many of us in the Scientology watching community — ex-Scientologists or not — were recipients yesterday of emails from dummy OSA accounts directing us to the Remini attack site, which now has two new pages attacking Remini herself in the most vicious ways possible.

There’s a page, for example, where you can read salacious details from her husband Angelo Pagan’s court fights with previous wives who included swipes at Leah in their court declarations. But anticipating such attacks, Leah laid out her private life in pretty good detail in her book, Troublemaker. We doubt that people will make much of the fact that her husband’s previous wives didn’t like her. What does that have to do with the allegations she’s making about Scientology in Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath?

But the most surprising attack on Remini that’s been added to the church’s website is a video interview with someone who was once very close to Leah, her friend Stacy Francis, a singer and veteran of numerous talent-show reality TV series, most recently her stint on Celebrity Big Brother in the UK.

<snipped>

Francis was later the source of controversy when she appeared on what was then Simon Cowell’s new talent show X-Factor promoting the idea that she was an untrained singer who had been held back because she was a victim of domestic violence. That background turned out mostly to be a fabrication, we found out. And based on the reporting we’ve done on her over the years, we know something about how much she was supported by her good friend, Leah Remini.

It was Remini who was in the delivery room as Francis gave birth to her second child after her affair with Bishop Noel Jones, brother of model Grace Jones, who acknowledged later that he was the little girl’s father. It was Remini, however, who took Francis in and helped her retain a lawyer to obtain child support, and then later helped her move into a good apartment near a charter school where she wanted her children to attend classes.

Meanwhile, Francis has only sometimes admitted that she’s actually a longtime Scientologist. But now that Remini has her second season, Francis answered the call and sat for a video for the attack website. We’re going to provide the entire transcript of the video, as awful as it is, because we think it may get a lot of attention.

<snipped>

Remini declined to comment about the allegations made by Francis. But her co-star, former Scientology spokesman Mike Rinder, did have something to say.

“Stacy is trying to protect the only people who treat her like she is actually a celebrity — Scientologists. She is a nobody in the real world, but in the Scientology bubble she gets to sing for Tom Cruise. That is something vitally important for her,” he says. “Like everyone else in these Korean POW style videos, they are all about what a rotten person the target is. Though hers is pretty weak — the basic gist of her rant is that Leah was not ‘nice’ and not friendly. Funny, that didn’t bother her when she was taking handouts. And of course, Stacy does not address any of the abuses that Leah has talked about or were exposed on the show. Her entire message is ‘Leah Remini isn’t a nice person….’ Odd, every single person I’ve met who isn’t being sat in front of a camera like a ventriloquist’s dummy controlled by Scientology says the exact opposite about Leah, even though Leah never claimed to be an angel — anyone who has read her book knows she laid it out right on page one in anticipation of this sort of response. Even so, it’s exactly what they do because they know no other way — literally. Scientology’s effort is always to imply that if they allege a person is not nice, then nothing they say is true. But like I said, compared to what they say about me, and Amy Scobee and Marc and Claire Headley and Tom DeVocht and, and, and… this is pretty weak sauce. Stacy Francis is a nobody going nowhere. She got the boot from Celebrity Big Brother House in the UK which was her last ‘job.’ She can only remain ‘important’ in the shrinking world of Scientology by doing their bidding. How come they didn’t roll out the real celebrities? Where is Tom? John? Kirstie? Jenna? They’re too scared to say anything because they all have agents and publicists who are telling them not to go near the shit sandwich that is Scientology. So, they get the benchwarmer from the D team to step up. Its only use is for Scientologists — if anyone in the US recognizes her at all (and I would suspect that is almost nobody) it will be as the ‘drama queen’ who cried all the time on the X Factor.”

Complete article: http://tonyortega.org/2017/03/18/sc...n-reaction-to-leah-remini-getting-2nd-season/

Stacy Francis thread: https://whyweprotest.net/threads/scilon-singer-stacy-francis-moves-to-next-round-on-x-factor.93982/
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

The real reason Leah Remini is taking a wrecking ball to Scientology

By Tony Ortega, March 22, 2017

Excerpt:

...since the titillating and edifying story we had planned for you today got pushed back, we decided that we’d share with you one of the truly dumbest videos we’ve run into that has something to do with Scientology.

More at http://tonyortega.org/2017/03/22/th...ini-is-taking-a-wrecking-ball-to-scientology/
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

Aaron Smith-Levin: Scientology's Hate Websites

Growing Up In Scientology

In this video I examine the hate website that the Church of Scientology put up about me the day after I was featured in episode 6 (Season 1) of Leah Remini's Scientology & the Aftermath.

I separate fact from fiction to demonstrate how Scientology attempts to smear its critics with maliciously false information.

Aaron Smith-Levin: Why a current Scientologist could never appear on "Scientology & The Aftermath"

Growing Up In Scientology

In this video I discuss Leah's Remini's invitation to have ANY current Scientologist appear on her A&E TV show, "Scientology & the Aftermath" to discuss the subject of Scientology, and why this could never occur.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

7. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini roars back with Scientology and the Aftermath season 2 preview

Excerpt:

At the end of the first season, you alluded to a legal campaign you were mounting. Will season 2 get into that?

Yes! In my heart I believed the FBI would be sitting in a war room like they do on TV. They’d be going, “Damn it, that’s it! We’re going to raid the place, we’re going to run in and save all these people and we’re shutting this s— down.” But that is not real life. [Scientology has] tax-exempt status, so you can’t just run in and say, “This is not a religious organization.” They’ve met the religious requirements on paper, so we need more time to effect change. Several law firms have contacted [me and show consultant/costar Mike Rinder], and we’re moving forward.

What else can you tell us about the new season?

I didn’t foresee a season 2. I didn’t want to do another season. But the response from the organization and the response from parishioners — particularly celebrity parishioners — has proven to me that we need to continue to tell these stories.

Do you think legal action is necessary? You don’t think they’ll come to a moral awakening?

Morally they believe they’re doing the right thing. They believe that what L. Ron Hubbard says…is being followed to a tee. I know that because I was a Scientologist for years. There is no thinking for yourself in Scientology; the policy says what it says, and [Hubbard’s word] is drilled into you from the moment you read Dianetics. The only way to expose what’s happening is to continue to tell stories. [Church leader] David Miscavige isn’t going to have a moment.

Has anyone from the church reached out to you to appear in season 2?

No, and I want to be clear about that: I’m not trying to turn people. We don’t need to get people to come out; we’re hearing from people who haven’t spoken before. They’ve been brainwashed into believing they could do nothing. They were told there’d be heavy repercussions if they went to the police or the FBI. [The church has called Remini’s allegations a “rehash of stale, long disproven claims.”]

Because Scientology stretches so far into Hollywood, were you afraid that doing this show would impact your career?

I think it’s just the opposite. I’ve been embraced even more by Hollywood, and I continue to work. [Editor’s note: Remini is currently filming the NBC pilot What About Barb?]As far as acting is concerned, if my career was affected by my speaking out against abuses, then I’m good with it. I don’t need to work in a town that’s complicit with these kinds of abuses.

How can people get involved if they want to?

It could be a simple call to your councilman, writing to the IRS, making noise about it, or encouraging people to come forward. People feel like they should do more, but they don’t realize how much they’ve already done by supporting us and supporting the people who’ve been on our show.

Do you think the current political climate makes all of this even more significant?

Absolutely. If we’re not happy, politics aside, what can we do about it? People are doing what they can, and that’s a great thing. If you can write a letter, do it! If you can simply call a congressman, do it! In this climate, often people feel they don’t have a voice or power to do something, whether it’s [in response to] a cult, an abusive relationship, or politics. A docuseries like this makes people feel that there’s hope that anyone can do something to effect change. I hope to inspire people to take action. What can you do to make you feel that you’re not nothing?

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/27/leah-remini-interview-scientology-aftermath-season-2/
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Reality TV's Ruling Class: Top 10 Power Players of 2017 | Hollywood Reporter

Excerpt:

Eli Holzman and Aaron Saidman

'Scientology and the Aftermath' Producers

Making an impression, at least a good one, in cable's ever-sprawling reality landscape is nearly impossible at this point. Breakout Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath proved to be the rare exception in 2016, giving the beleaguered A+E a new series that was both buzzy and comparatively highbrow. It's not a bad entry point for Holzman and Saidman, reality vets whose latest independent shingle (The Intellectual Property Corp.) launched with the project. The series averaged 3 million viewers an episode, regularly dominated Twitter, and quickly earned a sophomore renewal as Remini continues to shine a light on allegations of abuse and harassment at the organization. It has set up IPC as a force in unscripted's new prestige push — fitting, considering that this duo's previous collaborations include Emmy favorite Undercover Boss.

More at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/reality-tvs-ruling-class-top-10-power-players-2017-989484
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology leader David Miscavige launches new personal attacks at Leah Remini

By Tony Ortega, April 3, 2017

Quote:

Scientology leader David Miscavige is demonstrating some real concern about Leah Remini’s upcoming second season of her A&E series, Scientology and the Aftermath.

As we mentioned earlier, since Leah’s defection became public in 2013, Miscavige had seemed to treat her with kid gloves, holding back the kind of retaliation he let loose on other prominent members who had turned critics, such as Jason Beghe, Paul Haggis, Amy Scobee, and Mike Rinder. Each of them had been smeared mercilessly with the use of private investigators and online attacks. But for the most part, Leah had escaped that treatment, despite her high profile. Even when the first season of her show proved to be a huge unexpected hit for A&E this past fall, the website Scientology put up to attack it was targeted more at her guests than at Remini herself.

But then, with the news two weeks ago that A&E had approved a second season, the gloves came off. Suddenly there were pages at the attack site which made it clear that Scientology’s private eyes have been digging into Remini’s past, interviewing former friends and family members, all in an attempt to attack her in personal ways.

Last time, we told you about a video that was made by someone who at one time had been Remini’s best friend, singer and longtime Scientologist Stacy Francis. Now, another new page has appeared at the attack site which hosts five new videos featuring people who were formerly close to Remini.

We wanted you to see their transcripts to get some sense of how Scientology thinks. Rather than address any of the actual issues that Remini’s series has brought up — forced abortions, families ripped apart, fortunes extorted — Scientology follows L. Ron Hubbard’s playbook to the tee and goes after Remini in order to “dead agent” her. Miscavige can’t answer the allegations being made about Scientology, so he’s trying to make the same allegations against Remini by having her former friends who are still Scientologists give POW-style videos.

Take a look at what they say, and imagine that this strategy makes sense to David Miscavige. We hope that some of these people, after they inevitably leave the church as nearly everyone does sooner or later, are able to recognize how they were misused by something that calls itself a “church.”

The article continues with quotes from Shannon Burwell, Michael Duff, Jim Kilmartin, Joanne Schnitzer, and Cristin Woodruff, at http://tonyortega.org/2017/04/03/sc...launches-new-personal-attacks-at-leah-remini/
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

More shade thrown at Leah Remini

By Tony Ortega, April 4, 2017

Quote:

Not long after we posted yesterday’s story about Scientology’s latest set of videos attacking Leah Remini, a new video appeared on the website the church has set up to take shots at the actress and her A&E series, Scientology and the Aftermath. This one is a little longer, and it features 74-year-old Scientologist Penny Atwell Jones, who says Leah is an all around poo-poo head.

She also happens to be the mother of party planner Brooke Daniels, who, according to former Scientology spokesman Mike Rinder, is dating actress Catherine Bell, which makes things a bit dicey for a high-level Scientologist in the notoriously homophobic organization. (As we often point out, however, celebrities get to break the rules that other Scientologists have to abide by.)

Another Scientologist goes on camera to say that Leah Remini was an awful person. What effect do you think David Miscavige expects this to have?

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2017/04/04/da...-by-june-21-to-show-planets-coolest-religion/
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

Vocal critic of Scientology

By Yip Wai Yee, The Straits Times, Singapore

Quote:

Hollywood actress and former Scientologist Leah Remini may be one of the most vocal and prominent critics of the Church of Scientology today. But she does not regret having been a member of the controversial group for almost her entire life.

The 46-year-old made headlines when she abruptly left the organisation in 2013 after 34 years as an active member. Her mother, actor husband Angelo Pagan and their 12-year-old daughter Sofia also left Scientology shortly after.

Speaking to The Straits Times in a telephone interview, Remini says: "I don't regret any of it because I wouldn't be here now. I feel that it was supposed to be my path to go through something like this, so that I can do what I love to do, which is to help people.

"So I don't regret it in a certain way because I'm here now, doing what I'm meant to do."

Since she left the organisation, she has made it her mission to expose the controversial rules that Scientology imposes on its members. They include the act of disconnection, which means a Scientologist has to cut all ties with anyone who is antagonistic towards the group, even if that person is a family member or close friend.

Besides writing the best-selling book, Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood And Scientology (2015), Remini has also produced a documentary series, Leah Remini: Scientology And The Aftermath.

Told over seven episodes, the series shows her interviewing other ex-Scientologists about their often harrowing experiences of being in the group. Tales of physical and mental abuse within the organisation are common, according to the show.

When the series premiered in the United States last November, it was a ratings hit for television network A+E, drawing 2.1 million viewers for the first episode - the most for a new show premiere at the network in two years. A second season has been greenlit for production.

In Singapore, the series premieres on Sunday on StarHub TV.

Remini, who is best known for starring in the long-running sitcom The King Of Queens (1997-2008), says: "My greatest achievement from doing a show like this is helping to change the way people view Scientology. It went from people making fun of Scientology, thinking, 'What are these crazy beliefs?', to seeing that it is hurting people and something to be taken seriously.

"Also, the people who have been abused through Scientology are finally receiving the love and comfort from the real world that they are deserving of."

1 What led you to leave Scientology?

It took me six years to get out. I was trying to ask the organisation about some things I was hearing, that Scientology leader David Miscavige's wife, Shelly, had not been seen for a while. And the organisation was mad. I was interrogated and I wasn't allowed to think for myself.

I don't think people should be punished for asking questions. The more I pursued this, the harder I found it to defend Scientology.

2 Do you still have friends or extended family members in Scientology?

Yes and the policy in Scientology mandates that they're not allowed to speak to me because I left. There have been instances where I see my godchildren on the street and they walk away.

3 After your documentary series aired in the US last year, have more former Scientology members reached out to you?

Yes, we've received so many stories. I think it has to do with the fact that Mike Rinder is on the show. He was a senior executive in the Church of Scientology before he quit and very much a trusted member in and out of the organisation.

As for me, I was a Scientologist who was also a celebrity and celebrityhood is very much celebrated in Scientology.

So people come to us with their stories because they trust us.

4 The Church Of Scientology has openly condemned your show. Have you worried about facing more serious repercussions if you continue criticising them?

No. I'm aware of the Church policy that they go after people who condemn them.

If I was worried about that, I would never have done the show. But what I am worried about are the people who have been brave enough to talk to us about their experiences. They may not be prepared for the things that could happen.

5 Some countries ban religions. Do you think that is necessary in certain cases?

When it's a cult... and it's hurting people, then yes.

I make a clear distinction- Scientology is a cult, not a religion. In Scientology, you're not allowed to think for yourself and they dictate who you can speak to, including your mother. That's not a religion.

6 Do you believe in God?

Yes. I was baptised a Catholic. My father was Catholic and my mother was Jewish.

7 Hollywood actor Tom Cruise is a famous Scientologist. Do you think he will leave the organisation?

It'll have to start with whoever got him into Scientology in the first place, but it'll be hard.

When you're a Scientologist, you live in a bubble. Someone like him will always be surrounded by fellow Scientologists. The Church of Scientology runs his life - he gets great power from them and they feed his ego. They make him believe that he is saving the planet.

(Cruise's first wife, actress Mimi Rogers, reportedly introduced him to Scientology. She left the group after their divorce in 1990.)

8 How would you like to be remembered?

For doing something good. For trying to help.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/vocal-critic-of-scientology
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini: Scientology “Calls to Destroy People’s Lives” | Deadline

Excerpt:

Remini said her mission in the hourlong show is to “continue to tell these people’s stories until somebody steps in to do something about it.”

She might be close to achieving her objective. Mike Rinder, another ex-Scientologist who also participates in the show, said lawyers were working hard to bring action on the church.

“They’re reviewing all the facts, reviewing the stories of the victims and reviewing the law,” he said. “It’s looking very hopeful.”

More at http://deadline.com/2017/04/leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath-1202066390/

Pets-At-The-Movies.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 3
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini on Scientology: It’s not a religion, it’s a cult

By Oliver M. Pulumbarit, Philippine Daily Inquirer

Quote:

Actress Leah Remini recently expressed glee that her new documentary series, “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” has been renewed for a second season. “I’m happy that the series and I get to continue revealing the abuses of this organization,” Remini said in a phone interview with the Inquirer.

Remini is known for her nine-season stint in “The King of Queens,” as well as her controversial split in 2013 with the Church of Scientology, whose members include fellow celebrities like Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kirstie Alley. She was straightforward about leaving the group that she was part of since she was a child.

“It’s a cult,” she said without hesitation. “Everything in Scientology is written down in thousands of pages of policies that you have to follow; you’re not allowed to think for yourself … There’s no questioning.”

Remini, 46, spoke with a number of ex-members, who related experiences of abuse, for the new show (airing on cable channel CI, 9 p.m., starting April 16). She still has friends in the organization, who are kept from communicating with her: “They’re literally not allowed to talk to me. I’ve seen friends, my godchildren walking down the streets … and they turn the other way. But, again, that’s the policy of Scientology … this is a mind-controlling cult. Any organization that dictates who you can and cannot speak to, including your own mother [or] children, is not a religion. I don’t compare cults to religions.”

The actress, who also appeared in “Cheers” and “Saved by the Bell,” wrote a book about her exodus, “Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology,” in 2015.

The Inquirer contacted the Philippine chapter of the group for comment on the show’s airing, but had yet to receive a reply at press time.

The docu series’ original channel, A&E, showed disclaimers onscreen during airings of “Scientology and the Aftermath,” brief statements by the church that contest some of the allegations of Remini’s interviewees.

Excerpts from the chat:

What exactly was your reason for leaving Scientology?

It was a series of things. It took me six years to get out. I was trying to ask this organization of the allegations I was hearing in the news, in social media, and on the Internet. And I was being punished for asking questions.

I don’t think that people should … [be punished] for asking questions about religious organizations. It became more and more difficult for me to stay in something that didn’t allow me to think for myself.
    And I was seeing families torn apart. I was seeing people’s lives being destroyed, and I could no longer subscribe to it.

What are your regrets about things you could’ve done while you were still a member?

I [couldn’t] grow and heal. You’re not allowed to talk about things that you feel might be hurting your life, or those that are bothering you. Scientology tells you what to talk about, and what you’re going to deal with, mentally and spiritually.

Looking back, I don’t regret any of it, because I wouldn’t be here now [without it]. I feel that it was supposed to be my path to go through something like this, so that I can do what I love to do, which is help people … and that’s always been in my heart. I don’t regret it in a certain way, because I’m here now.

How would you explain the allegations about “mind control?

It starts at a young age. As soon as a child can read, they start brainwashing them into believing that they aren’t children … that they’re old spirits in little bodies. And their parents … they’re [just] parents [in] this lifetime … and that’s not [supposed to be] a big deal.

What’s important is the Church of Scientology and the work it’s doing. So, children at an early age start to depend on the church to be their “parents.” [Science fiction author] L. Ron Hubbard is their god. Their parents aren’t that important … that Scientology is everything.

You were a member since you were young—but how about the affiliation of older celebrities like Tom Cruise?

I guess it starts with whomever got him in, with whatever ailment he had, he believed that Scientology saved his life. He lives in a bubble. Like most Scientologists, you’re not allowed to look on the Internet. You’re not allowed to read books or watch programs against [it].

When you’re a celebrity like Tom, you’re surrounded by Scientologists. He’s not even allowed [to have] magazines around him, in case there’s something bad about Scientology. He lives in a world that lacks real information. He gets great power from the church. The church runs his life and feeds his ego. He believes that he is saving the planet. And that’s what keeps them in.

What abuses did you witness?

The abuses that I’ve witnessed firsthand—being indoctrinated to sensual content at a very early age. I’ve witnessed that over and over again … for myself, for my sister. Anybody who is in Scientology very early on isn’t expected to [react] to sexual content that is inappropriate for children, which creates an environment that’s very dangerous and leads to abuses.

I know that the people who said they were beaten weren’t lying. Over and over, it’s the same story. I know the policy that allows abuses to occur, but I didn’t have to go far. It’s in the church’s writings. And the fact that they wanted me to shun my family when I refused to stop talking to people I call my friends, just because they left the church.

What can be done legally to help people?

People can believe what they want to believe, as long as it isn’t hurting others. But when you’re abusing people and saying that that’s not happening, and then trying to destroy people’s lives [for] telling the truth, what I want to see happen is for the agencies responsible for protecting our children and our citizens to do something about it.

Do you have acting projects right now?

I have a comedy for NBC, “What About Barb,” [inspired by] a movie called “What About Bob,” with Richard Dreyfuss. It’s funny, and we’re having a great time. Yes, I continue to act. I still love acting. But this [series] is something that is in my heart. It’s something I’m very passionate about.

Can Tom Cruise help end the abuses?

Tom has the power to help a lot of people. He could do something about it. If he wanted to, Tom could end it all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. April 16, 2017 - Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath debuts in TAIWAN at 21:00 - 21:55 on MOD Channel 109:

http://mod.cht.com.tw/channelrw/epginfo.php?id=109&w=&p=1'

莉亞萊米妮:山達基教與劫後餘生-分離(1)【普】

Bing translator gives the better result of: "Lialemini: Scientology and Aftermath-separation (1) "Pu""

Google translator gives the less satisfactory result of: "Liya Lemini: mountain base teaching and aftermath - separation (1) [general]"

For information on the Crime and Investigation Network in South East Asia, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_&_Investigation_Network_(South_East_Asia)
    /
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

I just noticed that today A&E is airing Scientology and the Aftermath episodes three through seven.
  16. PODCAST: Chris C [@MiamiSixthMan] CGS Scientology Truth [@CGS_Extra] interview of John Sweeney [@JohnSweeneyRoar] about Scientology and the Aftermath, PLUS Chris's visit to the Church of Scientology of Orlando.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cgsher...scientology-edition-bbc-reporter-john-sweeney

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

In 2007 I knew Scientology was some kind of new age religion. I figured it was harmless, who cares if they want to believe in some crazy Sci Fi stuff? Then I saw the BBC Panorama film Scientology and Me with John Sweeney and boy was I wrong! This documentary, Lisa Mcpherson, Going Clear and Leah Remini all led to me doing this very podcast. For me and many others speaking against the methods, pain and the destruction of Scientology...it starts with John Sweeney.

Also, Clearwater does right by it's residents and my odd visit to the Orlando Scientology Org.

Did John know just how aggressive Tommy Davis would be? Was Scientology cause for more PTSD than being behind enemy lines under cover? Will I remember "Tommy Davidson" is that comedian from In Living Color and start using the proper name for Tommy Davis? If a Wog goes to an Org and there's no one there to hear it is he still knocking on glass?

Find out the answer to these questions and more on this edition of Come Get Sum!!!

Follow John on Twitter: @johnsweeneyroar

Visit John's site to see all his great books! http://www.johnsweeney.co.uk/

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *
  17. Incredulicide Member

18. The Wrong Guy Member

Another stale swing at Leah Remini

By Tony Ortega, April 25, 2017

Quote:

Once in a while we hear from readers who admit that they miss the old Freedom magazine, when the publication was a cartoonish attack dog for the Church of Scientology and it went after people like Anderson Cooper and Mike Rinder with attacks that were so over the top they could only have come from church leader David Miscavige himself.

A couple of years ago, Freedom got deadly dull, though you can sometimes see that it throws shade at people like your proprietor in its august pages.

Anyway, we’ve noticed that the new “STAND League” website is becoming a venue for Miscavige’s more goofy attacks on the people he perceives to be his enemies, Leah Remini chief among them. And this week there’s a shot at Leah once again from Michael Duff, who is married to actress Denice Duff.

It’s mostly just the usual lazy swipe at Leah, but we thought we’d share with you the best part of it. Take a look as Duff does his best to come up with an analogy to criticize Leah’s A&E show.

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2017/04/25/so...t-scientology-is-the-worlds-coolest-religion/
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

InsuppressiblePoster.jpg
    InsuppressiblePoster2.jpg

Leah Remini’s fabulous nails get a spin-off

By Tony Ortega, April 26, 2017

Quote:

During Leah Remini’s first season of Scientology and the Aftermath at A&amp;E, we monitored Twitter while episodes were airing, and we saw it come up again and again: What’s with her amazing nails! So maybe it’s not a surprise that Leah’s manicures appear to have inspired their own homage at the Hollywood Fringe Festival.

“A fictionalized account of actress/activist/icon, Leah Remini, as she struggles to make the world a better place, stomp out bullies, and speak truth to power – all the while maintaining perfect makeup and hair. Come for the manicures, stay for the songs!”

Produced by comedian Julia Wackenheim, the show was written by Jeffrey McCrann (book) and Robert Hill (music). A casting call for actors went out earlier this month, looking to fill these roles:

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2017/04/26/sc...earwater-by-trying-to-shiv-a-beloved-dolphin/
  20. PODCAST: Part 2 of Chris C [@MiamiSixthMan] CGS Scientology Truth [@CGS_Extra] interview with John Sweeney [@JohnSweeneyRoar] about Scientology and the Aftermath.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cgsher...entology-edition-bbc-reporter-john-sweeney-p2

In this second part of my interview John talks about the blow up with Tommy Davis, The fame those YouTube hits brought him, North Korea and his latest books he's working on!
    Did Scientology smear videos hurt John's reputation? Does Scientology measure up to other religions? Is North Korea bluffing? Will John yell at me?
    Find out the answer to these questions and more right here on this edition of Come Get Sum Extra!!!

Follow John on Twitter: @johnsweeneyroar

Visit John's site to see all his great books! http://www.johnsweeney.co.uk/
  21. Incredulicide Member

22. The Wrong Guy Member

LeahAcademy1.jpg

LeahAcademy2b.jpg

Bonus items from our tipsters

By Tony Ortega, May 3, 2017

Quote:

Thanks very much to the tipster who sent us this invite that went out to all members of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, which is responsible for the Emmy Awards. And that means, our tipster points out, that pretty much all of Scientology’s celebrity actors would have received this invite. D’oh!

Source: http://tonyortega.org/2017/05/03/co...-probe-of-scientology-that-the-church-denied/
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

I just noticed that several episodes are being aired right now on Lifetime.
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

As Leah Remini’s next season approaches, Scientology posts more videos saying she’s rude

By Tony Ortega, May 16, 2017

Quote:

Four years ago, Jenna Miscavige Hill published Beyond Belief, her book about growing up in the Church of Scientology and then leaving it, and what it was like to be the niece of Scientology’s dictatorial ruler, David Miscavige.

In that brave book, we were especially struck by Jenna’s portrayal of her uncle, who spent so much energy plotting and destroying the lives around him, but always from a distance.

In Jenna’s book, we wrote, David Miscavige “comes off as a meddling, tyrannical, but ultimately cowardly man who Jenna and other ex-Scientologists are determined to expose.”

That image of Miscavige, as someone who is too afraid to show his own face but sends others to suffer the consequences of his decisions, came back to us yesterday as we made another visit to the website the Church of Scientology set up to attack Leah Remini and her A&E series, Scientology and the Aftermath.

Since the last time we checked, the site has posted new videos of attacks on Leah’s reputation by people who were formerly family friends or associates.

We pointed out in the past that it’s the prospect of a second season of Aftermath that really seems to have caused Miscavige to take the gloves off. Since Remini’s defection became public here at the Underground Bunker in July 2013, she really hadn’t been the subject of the kind of vigorous retaliation and private investigator mugging that we’ve seen so many others go through.

Even through Aftermath‘s first season, the church website dedicated to attacking it went pretty easy on Leah herself. But then, with news that A&E had renewed the show, suddenly the really slimy attacks showed up at the website, with lurid details from her husband’s breakup of his previous marriage and other stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the allegations about Scientology that have been brought up in Leah’s show.

And a parade of former family friends have showed up in videos raising petty complaints about Remini being a diva. They’re Scientologists, and what else can they say but try to magnify tiny slights that anyone might be accused of.

They’re meat shields, essentially, automatons sent out by Miscavige to put their own reputations at risk so Miscavige can tell his wealthy donors that the church is “striking an effective blow” against Remini and her show.

In reality, these are another set of weak attacks by people who probably had no other choice. Here’s a little about each of them.

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2017/05/16/as...ientology-posts-more-videos-saying-shes-rude/
    • Like Like x 1
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini on Pitching Her A&E Scientology Series: "I Said, 'Don't Be Pussies'"

The Scientology whistleblower sits with THR editorial director Matthew Belloni at a TV Academy Q&A, admitting the pain of the show can sometimes be too much: "I wish a sitcom could take me away from all of this."

By Seth Abramovitch, The Hollywood Reporter

Quote:

When Leah Remini first came to producers Eli Holzman and Aaron Saidman with an idea for a nonfiction TV show about the ways Scientology destroys lives and tears apart families, she offered a caveat.

"Leah said, 'You have to be tough and brave,'" Holzman recounted Monday evening at a packed For Your Consideration screening and panel at the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences, moderated by Hollywood Reporter editorial director Matthew Belloni.

At which point Remini — who defected from Scientology in 2016 and has since dedicated her life to shedding a light on its controversial tactics — couldn't help but interject.

"Do you want to know what I really said?" she asked. "I said, 'Don't be pussies. If you're going to be pussies, you're not the right producers for this.'"

Holzman had never quite been presented quite so blunt a challenge before. "Aaron and I huddled and said, 'Are we pussies?'" he recalled. They quickly decided they were not — and thus Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath was born.

The nine-part series found a home at A&E, which delivered a large and passionate audience. Viewers were drawn to stories of individuals, many of whom were born and raised in the religion, only to find their closest relationships — children, parents, grandparents — cruelly severed and loyalties betrayed once doubts about it crept in.

Remini, who acts as both interviewer and interviewee in the show, was often unmoored by the "levels of pain" her subjects were still experiencing. "This is not something you just get over. My own pain continues as well," she said. "Sometimes I wish a sitcom could take me away from all of this."

The evening included a screening of one of the most affecting episodes, focusing on Aaron Smith-Levin, a high-ranking former Sea-Org clergy member who was essentially taken from his mother and immersed in Scientology theology with his twin brother at the age of 14.

When that brother began to express doubts, Smith-Levin says, the church colluded to sever all connections between them. The twin brother eventually got out — but tragically died in a car accident before the twins could reunite.

Smith-Levin and his wife, also a former Sea-Org member, are now fully excommunicated from the church, but continue to live among Scientologists in the headquarters city of Clearwater, Florida.

(In one of the more bizarrely hilarious twists, a devout neighbor disconnected from the couple and their three young daughters — but requested to remain in touch with their dog, who "wouldn't understand.")

Helping us navigate through the Byzantine strictures and nomenclature of the religion is Mike Rinder, a former high-ranking Scientology executive who "blew" (Scientology jargon for defection) and serves as Remini's co-pilot on the show, much of which is spent on the road.

Rinder credited Going Clear, the non-fiction expose and HBO doc adaptation, asbeing helpful in shedding light on Scientology — but neither has resulted in the kind of day-to-day feedback that Remini's series generates.

"The church used to say, 'Thank God for the Xenu story,'" Rinder said, referring to the science-fiction-based scripture unveiled in the highest echelons of training. "Because then we were no worse than any other religion. But what this show addresses for the first time, the real point of it all, is that Scientology damages people. The scars are real. And the church has no response to that."

While Remini was reluctant to produce a second season of the show — the grief would be too much, even for this self-described "Brooklyn girl" — the first season has resulted in what Holzman describes as a "deluge of people emboldened to come forward." Another cycle of episodes seemed preordained. "We're sitting on some really damning and actionable material and can't wait to premiere," Holzman added.

Remini is similarly on board. "I'll keep doing this until something changes," she said.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ntology-series-i-said-dont-be-pussies-1004285
    • Like Like x 2
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

To whet your appetite for season 2, A&E airing 2-hour ‘Leah Remini’ special on Memorial Day

By Tony Ortega, May 18, 2017

Quote:

Leah Remini and Mike Rinder are hard at work preparing season 2 of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath. But in the meantime, A&E wanted to tide you over, and so the team has put together a 2-hour special that will look back at where Scientology has been and how it’s been exposed in the past.

We weren’t involved in the making of this particular special, but we’ve heard some names of some people who might be appearing in it. We’re hoping to confirm that soon. You can fit quite a bit into a two-hour show! As soon as we hear more about what’s in it, we’ll let you know.

The so-far-untitled episode is scheduled to air on A&E at 9 pm on Monday, May 29, after a marathon airing of Leah’s first season.

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2017/05/18/to...g-2-hour-leah-remini-special-on-memorial-day/
  28. Harry Krishna Member

Good on ya Leah ! (a humble suggestion: lipstick could be toned down)
    More power to ya !

29. The Wrong Guy Member

'Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath' Gets Two-Hour Special | Hollywood Reporter

'Merchants of Fear' will explore the complicated relationship between the Church and its vocal critics. The special will also offer a sneak peek at season two.

Quote:

Leah Remini's Scientology-centered docuseries is expanding.

A&E Network is set to air a two-hour special edition of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath that explores the relationship between the Church and some of its vocal critics.

Merchants of Fear, set to premiere May 29 at 9 p.m. ET/PT, will specifically invite a series of special guests to candidly describe their personal experiences investigating controversial stories about the Church and how it has responded to their work. The two-hour telecast will offer a sneak peek at the upcoming second season of the docuseries.

Season two is set to return with 10 new hourlong episodes.

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath centers on the actress and other former members of the Church as they take a closer look at the shocking stories of abuse, heartbreak and harassment experienced by those who have not only left the Church but spoken about their exit.

The series ranked as cable's top unscripted series among total viewers for 2016.

Continued at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ology-aftermath-gets-two-hour-special-1006445

A&E to Air Remini Scientology Special | Broadcasting & Cable

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/programming/ae-air-remini-scientology-special/166017

Leah Remini's Scientology Show Set To Air A Big Special Before Season 2 | CinemaBlend

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...show-set-to-air-a-big-special-before-season-2

Leah Remini teams up with former Scientology executive Mike Rinder as she continues to explore controversial religion in new A&E program | Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...i-continues-explore-Scientology-new-show.html

‘Leah Remini: Scientology And The Aftermath’ Special Set On A&E | Deadline

http://deadline.com/2017/05/leah-re...h-stand-alone-special-premiere-ae-1202100205/

Scientologists Pushed Leah Remini To 'Work On Chelsea' Handler And Other Famous Friends | Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...iting-celebrities_us_59248cd9e4b0650cc01f7cd4
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Just a reminder that the preview airs tonight. In my time zone, Merchants of Fear is on this coming Monday from 9 pm to 11:06 pm, and re-airs Tuesday from 1:03 am to 3:07 am.
  31. Chris Crimy [@MiamiSixthMan] of Come Get Sum [@CGS_Extra] interview with Brandon Reisdorf [@BrandoReisdorf] about Scientology and tricky donation reporting.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cgsher...-sum-extra-scientology-brandon-reisdorf-part1

In this first part Brandon walks us through the purification rundown, What a manic episode is. Working staff at the bookstore and tricky reporting of Donations that reportedly never got donated.

What is The Purification Rundown? Did donated books never get donated? Where did the money go?

Find out the answer to these questions and more on this edition of Come Get Sum Extra!!!!

Follow Brandon on Twitter: @brandoreisdorf

Help Brandon with legal fees: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/51CrD7

32. Incredulicide Member

33. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 2
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini Returns With ‘Scientology And The Aftermath’ Because ‘It Should Be Everyone’s Fight!’ | Inquisitr

Excerpt:

...A&E is planning to air a two-hour stand alone episode of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on Monday, May 29. The special two-hour event will be entitled “Merchants of Fear” and will bring Mike Rinder back as Leah’s partner.

During the special episode, Rinder and Ms. Remini will launch an investigation into the Church of Scientology with a special focus on how the church leaders have dealt with critics. Labeled by Scientologists as suppressive persons, critics of Scientology are often subjected to harsh and sometimes illegal tactics meant to dissuade them from issuing further public criticism.

The Scientology and the Aftermath special will bring on special guests, people who have gone up against the church and have faced the consequences for trying to undermine Scientology practices and beliefs.

http://www.inquisitr.com/4253400/le...termath-because-it-should-be-everyones-fight/

Leah Remini Is The Thorn In Scientology’s Side | Deadline

Excerpt:

Remini invested 35 years of her life, including millions of dollars in donations, to become a figurehead for a religion that, at the end, left her empty and feeling betrayed. Enough that she is hell-bent on delivering her side of the story to the widest possible audience in the hopes others will not repeat what she and many ex-Scientologists consider the worst mistake of their lives.

“This is not about religious beliefs,” she says. “This is about a doctrine that calls to destroy people’s lives once they speak out.”

http://deadline.com/2017/05/leah-re...th-mike-rinder-ae-disruptors-news-1202096337/
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

She’s back! Leah Remini builds a case for Scientology aggression in tonight’s A&E special

By Tony Ortega, May 29, 2017

Quote:

We’ve seen tonight’s 2-hour A&E special episode of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, and we can tell you that it accomplishes much more than simply tiding fans over as they await the start of season two.

When Aftermath premiered last November, it was the network’s most-watched first episode in a couple of years. It went on to average about 1.6 million viewers per episode as A&E scrambled to take advantage of its popularity by shooting a couple of special hour-long extra episodes for a season total of nine.

The second of those two special episodes featured author Lawrence Wright, attorney Ray Jeffrey, and cult expert Steve Hassan answering questions in a group setting. Tonight’s new 2-hour special follows that format as well, this time with six special guests.

But what really impressed us was the opening segment of tonight’s show, when Remini and her sidekick, former Scientology spokesman Mike Rinder, once again took the time to educate viewers about Scientology concepts, in this case the iron-clad L. Ron Hubbard policies that have produced such a toxic, unrelenting organization that tries to hunt down and destroy its critics.

This is perhaps what impresses us the most about Remini’s series, that time and again she and Rinder have taken the time to explain Scientology’s history and structure and controversies in ways that really respect the viewer — which is often missing from cable TV “reality” programming. In this case, Remini knows that much of the criticism aimed at Scientology is for its outlandish beliefs about past lives and space opera nuttiness. That’s a mistake, she believes. She wants viewers to understand that what really matters is that Hubbard left behind piles of books that contain thousands of policies that Scientology’s executives must follow to the letter even today. And those policies demand that critics — whether former members or simply curious reporters — must be dealt with brutally.

And for the doubters in the audience, Remini shows the policies on the screen, which we found really effective.

Merchant1-e1496024607974.jpg
    Merchant2-e1496024623142.jpg

“It was important to remind people that ridiculing people for their beliefs actually gets Scientology excited, because you’re not actually focusing on the damaging policies that make up the religion,” Leah told us after we had seen the episode and asked her about the approach she was taking. “Scientology dictates how to react to people who are speaking out about it. And that’s an important message that people need to focus on instead of the Xenu stories.”

<snipped>

Scientology continues to do what Hubbard established in the 1950s and 1960s — always to attack, never to defend. And to help bolster that message, Remini and Rinder bring on six special guests that our readers should be pretty familiar with.

<snipped>

... Bryan Seymour ... Janet Reitman ... Mark Ebner ... Ford Greene ... Stephen Kent ... Len Zinberg ...

<snipped>

Please join us in the comments section tonight as we live-blog the program. We’re looking forward to your reactions to the show!

More at http://tonyortega.org/2017/05/29/sh...cientology-aggression-in-tonights-ae-special/

Episodes of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath will be airing today starting at 1:00 pm.

The new episode, Merchants of Fear, airs tonight from 9:00 pm to 11:06 pm and repeats Tuesday from 1:03 am to 3:07 am.

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/lea...nd-the-aftermath/upcoming-episodes/EP02544503
    • Like Like x 1