Customize

Leah Remini TV series about how Scientology rips families apart

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Fundraiser For Tara Reile of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

https://www.gofundme.com/helptarareile

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

rVPclTT.jpg

Hello, I'm Tara Reile, you may have seen me on the TV show, Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath.
    I was adopted at the age of 2 into the cult of Scientology, an organization known for its strange beliefs and terrible abuse. As a teenager I was sent to the Mace-Kingsley ranch for 2 years. The ranch was sold as a $30,000 per year private Scientology school, but in reality it was a penal labor camp, with no formal education. The actual cost over two years was $150,000 because of all the forced confessions I had to undergo as a child at $3000 each.

The stories of abuse are endless, but I’ve been locked in a sauna for 3 hours fearing for my life, thrown in a frozen lake for trying to eat a banana, and walked miles through mountains daily to fetch drinking water from a muddy stream. Myself and others were completely discarded by our families, treated as adults in little bodies and left to fend for ourselves. It was truly a horrendous place beyond belief.
    This is very difficult to write. As hard as my time at the Ranch was, the past ten years have been a real struggle. I've gone through an abusive relationship, physical and sexual assaults, suicide attempts, depression, financial struggles, etc. In spite of all this, I refuse to break and I am going to fight for a bright future and for my two beautiful children.

Asking for any kind of help goes against my nature, but I’m told that people want to help so I guess this is me trying to swallow my pride, put the past in the past, and start fresh.
    Because I spoke out, I’m now being declared a Suppressive Person and much of my family is disconnecting from me. Family members tried hard to shut down the show, even telling me that I would be personally responsible for millions of deaths at the hands of psychiatrists!

To make a long story short, I really need to relocate to Austin, Texas (from Toledo, Ohio) with my two children.

The schools are much better there, I have work lined up, their fathers live in the area, and it will give us a new beginning. I’m receiving therapy for C-PTSD and I know I am still full of potential and hopes and dreams.

Any help provided will be used to help with moving, car repairs, rent, some small debts, and hopefully a little buffer while we settle in so I can ease the financial stress.

I’ve already had such an outpouring of support, thank you all so much for the love you’ve shown me.

2udnZd8.png

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The success of this campaign makes me wish this other one had taken off - but it didn't, and it's over now.

https://www.generosity.com/fundraising/life-after-scientology-a-new-home

It was for Elizabeth Gale, whose family ranch in Oregon was sold because of disconnection.

I hope Liz Gale and her family receive the support they need.
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

After pausing to reflect, Marie Bilheimer takes on Scientology’s attack of her ‘Leah Remini’ spot

By Tony Ortega, October 13, 2017

Quote:

Every week when there’s a new episode of A&E’s Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, we look to see how the Church of Scientology is going to react on its website dedicated to attacking Leah and the people who show up as her guests.

Usually just before the episode airs the church posts a vicious attack, often with videos of people close to the guests denouncing them in a robotic manner. This week, for example, an aunt and an uncle of Tara Reile trashed her as “pure hell,” even though, she pointed out, she had never lived with them. And family members of the other guest, Nathan Rich, claimed that he was sent to the Mace-Kingsley ranch run by Scientologists because the alternative would have been jail. Both Tara and Nathan chose to respond right away — Nathan, for example, pointed out that jail was hardly an option when he was first sent to the ranch when he was eight years old.

Other people choose not to respond to Scientology’s attacks. But today, we’re hearing from Marie Bilheimer, who has chosen to respond after taking some time to reflect.

Marie was featured on August 22 in the second season’s second episode, discussing the suicide of her husband, Aaron Poulin, which took place in a Scientology facility on Hollywood Boulevard but was kept quiet at the time. (We featured Marie and her other family disconnection issues in a lengthy story last year.)

The night her episode aired, Marie was attacked in videos featuring her own mother, June Rees, as well as Aaron’s mother Sheila Fraunfelter.

Marie tells us that she wanted to respond, but she thought she should wait to make it plain that she was not lashing out in anger.

“I relived the tragedy all over again, and a flood of emotions I’d repressed for so long came back all at once,” she says.

But now, calmer and ready to take on Scientology’s attack without emotion. She sent us this response, and we’re glad to bring it to you.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/13/a...-scientologys-attack-of-her-leah-remini-spot/
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientologists Urge Advertisers to Boycott A&E’s Leah Remini Show

Letters claim program has triggered harassment, threats of violence against church members; channel backs the show, which won an Emmy

By Alexandra Bruell, The Wall Street Journal, October 16, 2017

Quote:

Scientologists are emailing advertisers and demanding they boycott the A&E show “ Leah Remini : Scientology and the Aftermath,” claiming the documentary series is inciting threats and acts of violence against members of the church.

Individuals who say they are Scientologists sent multiple versions of the letter in recent months to advertisers and ad buyers, according to people familiar with the matter. The group behind the effort, Scientologists Taking Action Against Discrimination (STAND), also posted a handful of letters addressed to Anheuser-Busch InBev SA, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV’s Chrysler brand and Berkshire Hathaway Inc.’s Geico, among others, on its website.

In “Scientology and the Aftermath,” now in its second season, Leah Remini, an actress known for her role in “The King of Queens” and an ex-Scientologist, and other former Church of Scientology leaders and members interview ex-members and their families. On its website, A&E describes it as a show through which “Leah gives the victims a chance to be heard.”

“We are enormously proud of the quality and importance of the series, which was affirmed by the show’s recent Emmy win, and we intend to continue to share these brave stories with viewers,” said an A&E spokesman in an emailed statement. The program won an Emmy this year for outstanding informational series.

A&E declined to make Ms. Remini available for comment.

“Scientology and the Aftermath” made its debut in November 2016 to the strongest ratings on the channel in two years. Through September, Ms. Remini’s show has averaged 2.8 million total viewers per episode, including live viewing and on-demand episodes watched within seven days, and 1.6 million adults aged 25 to 54, according to the network.

The channel’s parent company, A+E Networks, a joint venture of Hearst Corp. and the Walt Disney Co. , has been no stranger to edgy programming, including putting “Duck Dynasty” on the air. But such risks haven’t always paid off. A documentary series about people trying to escape the Ku Klux Klan drew backlash and was axed before it ever aired when the network said it learned the production company had paid some participants.

A person at an ad-buying firm said that some clients pulled ads from “Scientology and the Aftermath” because of the public controversy surrounding it—not necessarily as a result of the letters. “Sometimes any news around a particular show puts it under new light, and why take the risk?” this person said. Another said that the letters wouldn’t affect the company’s ad spending with the A&E show.

A few advertisers pulled out of the show but continued to advertise elsewhere on the network, according to an A&E spokesman.

Geico said its ads likely appeared on the Scientology show as it regularly rotated its commercials through several A&E programs. “That rotation ended previously and Geico ads are not appearing in time slots for that program,” said a Geico spokeswoman.

Geico didn’t respond to questions about whether the show’s content or the letters prompted its decision not to advertise on the show.

Chrysler and Anheuser-Busch didn’t respond to requests for comment.

“Leah Remini’s hate campaign of religious bigotry in its first season alone generated more than 400 incidents of harassment, threats of violence and vandalism against our churches and members,” reads one letter from STAND, dated from August and addressed to Geico’s assistant vice president of marketing Bill Brower. “The threat level has again risen, precisely coincident with A&E’s promotion and airing of the second season of this show, now spawning even more threats—bombings, murder and acts of physical violence.”

A spokeswoman for the Church of Scientology said in a statement that, while it hasn’t seen every letter from Scientologists to marketers, “advertisers are being written to educate them and expose the lies that A&E irresponsibly airs from a hateful Remini and her unvetted—albeit compensated—subjects.”

“Scientologists, like members of any religion or group being discriminated against, have every right to communicate their disgust at lies being spread about their religion,” she said. The show has triggered “an explosion in hate crimes, threats and even violence directed at Scientologists,” she added.

Groups of activists have historically urged brands to pull ad spending from content that they might find offensive or not in keeping with their beliefs. Some of these campaigns can succeed, especially with the advent of social platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, which make it easy to spread a message quickly and publicly pressure brands and individuals to take action.

Ms. Remini, who was raised in the Church of Scientology, has been critical of it on her show and in interviews she has given for news programs.

Her series is far from the first to focus on Scientology and attempt to shed light on the religion.

“The Master,” a 2012 film described as being loosely based on the founding of Scientology, as well as the HBO documentary “Going Clear,” were among many works in recent years that cast the church in a negative light.

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/scient...s-to-boycott-a-es-leah-remini-show-1508148004
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

On tonight’s ‘Leah Remini,’ reality star Mimi Faust takes on Scientology’s harm to family

By Tony Ortega, October 17, 2017

Quote:

In 2012, we talked to Mimi Faust for the Village Voice after she had dropped a bombshell on VH1’s popular show Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta. At 13, Mimi had been abandoned by her mother, who chose Scientology’s Sea Organization over raising her own daughter. Mimi then became homeless.

It’s an incredible story of how Mimi’s life was so shattered by her mother’s dedication to Scientology, and how she managed to survive and flourish despite being left to her own devices.

She tells that story to Leah Remini and Mike Rinder in a powerful way in tonight’s episode of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath.

Mimi’s mother, Gloria Eva Simmons, added the surname James after a marriage, and so Mimi was brought up as Mimi James. But then Gloria joined an African religion and changed her name to Olaiya Odufunke. That African religion was superseded by Scientology, and Olaiya jumped into it completely, dragging Mimi, her youngest child, from Atlanta to the Flag Land Base in Florida and then the Pacific Area Command — PAC Base — in Los Angeles.

It was there that Mimi, at only 13, was put under intense pressure to join the Sea Org herself, and to sign its billion-year contract. When she refused, Scientology kicked her out on the street — and her mother helped walk her out of the building. “I had no idea where to go. I figured my mom would try to stop me. But there was nothing. She didn’t ask me where I was going, she didn’t ask if I had bus fare. I think that’s what hurt the most. That she just watched me walk away,” Mimi told us.

After that initial interview, we managed to track down more information about Mimi’s mother, who had died in 2003 after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We learned that Olaiya had risen through the ranks until she was working for the Sea Org’s secret police, the Office of Special Affairs, first in Los Angeles and then at the Flag Land Base in Clearwater. Her former co-worker, Kirsi Ojama, explained that the job she and Olaiya were doing was running security interrogations on high-ranking Scientologists before they could enroll in expensive upper-level courses.

In tonight’s show, Mimi Faust tells a heartbreaking story about how she persevered without her mother, but still welcomed her back into her life several times. It’s a shattering tale, and Mimi tells it so well.

The episode also features Christi Gordon, who was also abandoned by her mother for Scientology’s Sea Org, and approximately at the same time, the 1980s. She and her sister, Christi explains, went through brutal treatment in the Cadet Org and the “Children’s RPF,” which was literally a prison detail for kids who were being groomed for the Sea Org.

Forced to do heavy manual labor as a young child, Christi tries to convey what it was like when your mother simply has other interests than your own welfare.

Today, there is no cadet org or Children’s RPF, but Mike Rinder and Leah Remini explain that Scientology’s underlying concepts about the family are still in full force in Scientology. In the philosophy of L. Ron Hubbard, we are all immortal beings called thetans, regardless of our age, and so even small children are really ancient beings and should be treated no differently than adults. Also, while you might have a connection to another person as child or parent, those relationships are somewhat illusory since you are only in that relationship in this lifetime, and what’s more important is that thetans live forever and inhabit many different bodies over time.

This idea undercuts the family bond, Leah explains, which is how parents can find it so easy to drop off a child for Scientology to take control of. And since Hubbard has died and his ideas can’t be changed, neither can Scientology’s ideas about family.

Source: https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/17/o...i-faust-takes-on-scientologys-harm-to-family/
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Quentinanon Member

No human being can be more cruel than a "good scientologist".

OSA front group STAND actually stands for:

Scienazis
    Target
    Attack
    Nullify
    Destroy

Very ecclesiastical.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

'Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath' Examines Parental Abandonment, Severing Family Ties

Ex-Scientologists Mimi Faust and Christi Gordon tell Remini how their mothers abandoned them as children to join the Sea Org.

By Jean Bentley, The Hollywood Reporter, October 17, 2017

Quote:

The seventh episode of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath delved deeper into the view of family in Scientology, particularly when it comes to the members of the Church's Sea Organization.

Explained Remini's partner, former Scientology spokesperson Mike Rinder, "Family, in the Sea Org, is something that is given lip service but isn't considered to be important. If you are married, you're unmarried, if you have kids, if you don't, if your parents are dead, if they're alive, all of that is completely irrelevant to are you doing your job in the Sea Organization? Are you doing the greatest good and absolutely nothing else?"

Remini described Scientology's eight dynamics, which separates a person's life into eight parts, including self, family, groups/job, mankind, living things, infinity /God. In making any life decision, a Scientologist will consider what will do the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics.

"Do I pick my child who doesn't want to be in Scientology? That's one dynamic in comparison to mankind," Remini said of the typical process. "To sacrifice one for the betterment of the survival of mankind, not just this lifetime, but for eternity."

Rinder and Remini visited Mimi Faust, whose mother joined the Sea Org when Faust was 9 years old. She uprooted Faust from her life in Atlanta, separating her from her sister and brother and moving first to Florida and then to the "Big Blue" Scientology center in Los Angeles. In school with fellow children of Scientologists, she said she was taunted with racist slurs and spit on. At 13 years old, she said she was told to either sign her own billion year contract with the Sea Org, or she'd be kicked out of the dorm in which she was living with her mother. When she refused, she was kicked out immediately—she had to leave the building by 7 p.m. that day and was not even given bus fare.

"My mother did not utter one word. She watched me walk out of that building and said nothing," Faust recalled. "The feeling of abandonment right in your face like that is terrible. It was terrible."

Faust had lost contact with her brother and sister and didn't have contact with her father, and ended up going to a friend's house. At a loss for what to do, she went back to her Scientologist-owned school the next Monday. She spent a night with a different friend every night, and no one knew she was homeless.

The Church denied forcibly removing Faust from Big Blue, and asserted that Faust was not homeless, rather she lived with a family that her mom arranged for.

Faust next saw her mother four years later, at 17, when she was living with a friend's family. Her mom called and asked to see her, so she went to Big Blue and waited in an office when she said four Sea Org members and her mother locked her in the room told her to sign a billion year contract. But after she screamed and yelled, they let her out. She didn't see her again for another 10 years when she tried a final time to repair her relationship with her mom. They spent quality time together but eventually fought when Faust confronted her mother about abandoning her.

She was conflicted a few years later when she learned that her mother had Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. A Sea Org chaperone was with her mother in the hospital when Faust came to visit, and wouldn't let them be alone until mother passed away. Now, as a mother, Faust said she would never let her 7-year-old daughter join Scientology.

"As long as I'm on this Earth, that is not happening," she said. "In my experience, Scientology tears families apart. If you can't keep a mother and child together, how are you supposed to unite the planet? Does that make any sense to you? Because it doesn't make any sense to me at all."

The Church denies driving families apart, instead asserting that through increased communication, it helps its members improve family relationships.

The next person Remini and Rinder met with was Christi Gordon, whose mother joined Scientology after she was born. Throughout her childhood, Gordon began to resent her mother because she knew she and her sister were not their mother's biggest priority—they were not the greatest good. When Gordon and her sister were 10 and 11, they moved to Los Angeles with their mother, but the girls were sent to live with the Cadet Org, where she said they worked for no pay and didn't get schooling, and her mother went to the Sea Org.

After their mother was quickly disqualified, they went to public school again, until their mother re-joined the Sea Org in Clearwater, Florida and they re-joined the Cadet Org. Their mother was shortly thereafter disqualified again but remained a committed Scientologist.

"My mother thought she put us in the safest place on the planet because that's what they told her, but what I found was pretty awful," Gordon said. She and her sister asked to leave the Cadet Org, which is considered a suppressive act, so they were eventually punished and sent to the Rehabilitation Project Force, or the RPF, a program for Sea Org members who have allegedly violated expectations or policies.

"That was worse," Gordon said. "The work got harder. Mostly it was the verbal abuse, I think, that was harder, that we were degraded beings and worthless, and that my mother would be better off without us."

After being found unfit for their Sea Org duties, Gordon and her sister were asked to leave and moved back in with their mother. But yet again, Gordon and her sister joined the Sea Org for a final attempt, and she eventually left at 17.

"We just did hard labor. So at that point, something in me snapped," she said, and she left with nothing. "I realized that I would rather be homeless and on my own than living with this, this life with these people that I realized didn't care about me and never had."

The Church said that Gordon left voluntarily after making arrangements with her mother.

Remini framed Gordon and Faust's parental abandonment this way: "Scientologists believe in more than one lifetime, so what does this one lifetime mean? What does this one kid mean for eternity? That's why it's so easy for a Scientologist, Sea Org member or not, to let go of this kind of minor relationship that's like shit in comparison to what Scientology is doing."

Later in life, Gordon found her mother living on the streets ranting about L. Ron Hubbard, and tried to take her to the hospital. If they got her psychiatric treatment, she couldn't go back to Scientology—but her family decided to place her under full-time psychiatric care.

"She wouldn't speak to us for a long time. We just, to her, kicked her when she was down and handed her over to the enemy," Gordon said. "There's not a moment that goes by that I don't think about what Scientology robbed us of and it doesn't go away. It's every single day. If people could just see behind the curtain and just see that Scientology did nothing but create complete destruction of my childhood, of my entire family, this is what they're doing. There's none of it that was an accident. Their policies caused this." She continued, "It's what they have done to everyone—destroying families and robbing them of everything. There's nothing they don't want from you."

(The Church of Scientology challenges the credibility and statements of the contributors appearing in the series. Read the Church's statement in response to allegations [cult link removed] here.)

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...termath-examines-parental-abandonment-1049895
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Leah rocks! That show is entertains while informing people of the pathos that is caused by Scientology...er rr the cult lashing out is part of the entertainment.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology slut-shames Mimi Faust after destroying her family because … it’s a church!

By Tony Ortega, October 18, 2017

Quote:

Continuing its unbroken record for doing exactly the wrong thing every time its reputation is in question, Scientology responded to this week’s Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath in characteristic fashion with an overheated slut-shaming of reality TV star Mimi Faust, and by calling Christi Gordon “disturbed.”

Faust was a small businesswoman who starred on VH1’s Love & Hip-Hop: Atlanta, and then capitalized on her notoriety from the show to trade on her celebrity. In 2014, a sex tape of her with a co-star from her show, Nikko London, was leaked, and later Faust admitted to leaking it herself.

All day yesterday, as we waited for Scientology’s attack of Leah Remini’s weekly guests to show up — it usually appears about an hour before the episode airs — we were mentally taking bets on whether Scientology could resist attacking a prominent African-American television celebrity and businesswoman by slut-shaming her over her sex tape.

Well, the temptation was just too great, apparently, and Scientology’s Office of Special Affairs got its rocks off with a still from the video, part of its attack on Faust at its “Leah Remini — Aftermath: After Money” smear site.
    And what does Mimi Faust’s sex life have to do with what she talked about last night on Leah Remini’s show?
    Well, nothing, of course. Mimi talked about how her mother, Olaiya Odufunke, had joined the Sea Organization, and then had abandoned Mimi at the age of 13 when Mimi refused to join the Sea Org herself.

Despite leaving Mimi to her own devices at such a young age, Mimi repeatedly reconnected with her mother over the years, and also spent time with her when Olaiya was dying of pancreatic cancer in 2003. Sadly, Mimi was unable to spend time alone with her mother in the hospital, because a Scientology handler was with Olaiya at all times.

Scientology doesn’t really deny any of these allegations at its smear site, except to challenge the idea that Mimi was homeless in 1982 at only 13. Mimi had told us in 2012, as well as to Leah last night, that she spent several years couch-surfing in order to hide that she didn’t have a mother to go home to. Scientology now claims that there was a family that was willing to take her in — but that doesn’t really contradict what Mimi was saying.

Meanwhile, Scientology also blames your proprietor for somehow turning Mimi against the church when we first interviewed her in 2012. If we did, that was a pretty neat trick, because we didn’t actually interview Mimi Faust until after she had revealed on her VH1 show that she’d been abandoned by her Scientologist mother at 13.

And then, Scientology does something we’ve never seen before — it then smears someone using our reporting as evidence.

We had written a story about Olaiya Odufunke’s career in the church with the help of one of her coworkers, Kirsi Ojamo, who told us that there were times when Olaiya spoke approvingly of her children. Aha! Scientology said, this was proof that Mimi Faust had to be lying about having a mother who didn’t care about her.

Well, if you were paying attention last night, you learned that Mimi herself had repeatedly brought her mother back into her life, even after she had been turned away at 13.

Yes, the moral of the story that Mimi Faust told was that she and her mother did have love for each other, except that Scientology came between them and poisoned whatever chance they had at having a normal relationship.
    Somehow, Scientology turns that into an agenda of “hate the parents” on the part of Faust, Remini, and A&E.

It attempts to do the same to Christi Gordon, saying that she was a thief who was counting on the series to be a “pot of gold” for her, and that her experience in Scientology was too many years ago to matter.

But once again, if you paid attention to what was actually presented in the show, Christi Gordon talked about being abandoned by a mother she loved, and that she helped her mom Judith later to get out of Scientology. And far from over, Christi’s story included the heartbreaking coda that her mother is now suffering from a break from “reality” as a mental patient.

Scientology isn’t blamed for her mother’s condition, but the show does make the case that Scientology bears a heavy burden for what it put these women through as children in the church.

These two women didn’t hate their mothers, as Scientology says on its smear website. They hated what Scientology turned their mothers into. And the 2.8 million people who tuned in last night or will stream the show over the next week will surely take that away and not Scientology’s weak jabs.

Source: https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/18/s...r-destroying-her-family-because-its-a-church/
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Erinn Hayes Says She's 'Very Aware' That Scientology Is Behind 'Bashing' of 'Kevin Can Wait'

Outspoken Scientology critic Leah Remini now stars on CBS comedy following Hayes’ departure

By Ryan Gajewski, TheWrap

Quote:

Erinn Hayes is weighing in on criticism of her former show, “Kevin Can Wait,” after a slew of social media posts have called for a boycott of the Kevin James comedy series.

The actress, who departed the CBS show over the summer after her character was killed off, has been actively interacting on Twitter with the show’s disgruntled fans — some expressing anger over her departure — and clicking “like” on messages that offer her support. The show added Leah Remini, who played James’ wife in their prior series “The King of Queens,” as a series regular over the summer.

One fan tweeted at Hayes, “U know Scientology is behind bashing #KevinCanWait, right? They have an agenda. No hate here, just sayin.'”

Hayes replied, “Very aware and don’t condone any of the bashing. Watch the show or don’t, but I find the personal attacks very ugly.”

It’s unclear as to exactly which comments the fan is referring. But high-ranking Scientologists have certainly been critical of former church member Remini, who has denounced the religious group and its practices several times in past years, including criticisms waged on her Emmy-winning A&E series, “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath.”

“Whoever suggested to Ms. Hayes that these messages were from Scientologists is purposely misleading her and operating on an anti-religious agenda,” a Scientology spokesperson told TheWrap. “This is pure bigotry.”

The church rep added that Remini has launched a “campaign to incite hate and bigotry,” and pointed out that more details regarding its views about the former “King of Queens” actress can be seen in its video and on its site [cult links removed].

Continued at https://www.thewrap.com/erinn-hayes-kevin-can-wait-leah-remini-scientology/
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

KID CORPS: Scientology’s internal documents lay out its disturbing ideas about children

By Tony Ortega, October 21, 2017

Quote:

Tuesday night, Leah Remini’s A&E series once again provided harrowing stories of what it can be like to grow up in Scientology. Her guests, Mimi Faust and Christi Gordon, spoke about the frightening result when Hubbard’s ideas about children being adults in small packages gets put into action.

Like anything else in Scientology, how children are treated is governed by a huge number of policies and reports, and today we’re looking at one of the documents that shows how children were treated under the ideas of L. Ron Hubbard. We’re fortunate that one man has done so much to collect huge numbers of such documents so that we can go through them today. We’re talking about Mark “Warrior” Plummer, who left Scientology in 1983, and is pretty legendary for the collection of church materials he’s amassed.

Also helping us is Sunny Pereira, who for several weeks has been working with Mark to pull out key documents for us to discuss. And we’re joined by Christi Gordon, who was on Tuesday night’s show.

Sunny, around the time this first document you chose for us was written, you were in the Cadet Org. Tell us about it.

Sunny: I was 13, and I was assigned to be the ethics officer. I was supposed to make sure all of the cadets were doing what they were supposed to. The two main things we did was sell Freedom magazines and pass out copies of The Way to Happiness on the streets. Freedom was sold for $2, and we got to keep 50 cents from each sale. And The Way to Happpiness Foundation paid us to hand out their booklets.

The Bunker: Well, at least there was some money involved. Christi, what did you take away from the Cadet Org?

Christi: The Cadet Org is where the Sea Org transforms its neglected children into child soldiers. It gives them a purpose, promises them power and recognition and hammers in discipline via its live-in indoctrination and work camp where kids are virtually isolated from those that care about them. You learn how to give and take orders, how to muster, salute, and applaud L. Ron Hubbard’s picture. You learn how to clean, make a bed, wash windows per policy, and spend a huge amount of time learning to snitch by writing knowledge reports to inform on others in the group who are goofing off or under-performing. This may include your own parents if they don’t behave optimally. You learn to report on everyone and everything around you that is an outpoint or affects production or morale.

The Bunker: And so just about anything might get you into trouble if someone else turns you in. What then?

Sunny: I got into trouble and was sent to the Children’s RPF. It ran off of Flag Order 3434, just like the adult RPF. As far as I can remember, I spent pretty much all day every day sweeping the front yard of the ATA building.

The Bunker: What was your crime, Sunny?

Sunny: My job was ethics officer, but because I was one of only a few kids who could ride a bike alone, I had to bike down to The Way to Happiness Foundation on Wilshire every week to pick up whatever money the Cadet Org was owed. It had nothing to do with my actual post. I lost $30 one time. I guess it fell out of my pocket while I was riding, but they were sure I had stolen it. And so to the Children’s RPF I went. I was on it for eight months, with no end in sight. I had no way to complete the program, because there were no steps to do to get off the Children’s RPF. It was like I was just sent there and forgotten about.

The Bunker: What was the Children’s RPF supposed to accomplish?

Sunny: Your submission. It’s part of the indoctrination to prepare you for the Sea Org. And you learn it, or you’re out. And being thrown out comes with a huge sense of failure, and, for a child, the terror of losing your (mostly absent) parent. I was 13 at the time, but many of the Cadets were as young as 6. In the Children’s RPF, you can’t talk to the other kids unless they speak first. And bullies come in all sizes. Those kids loved to boss the RPF kids around, and we had to do what they said. Polish my shoe! Clean that mess off the floor! Get my dinner! It was humiliating. I had almost forgotten about that aspect of it. It left me feeling so guilty, even for things I hadn’t done. It was a mental prison.

The Bunker: So how did you finally get out of it?

Sunny: A Sea Org recruiter came over to get someone into the Sea Org one Thursday morning and came to get another kid, who refused to go. I was out there sweeping and I jumped up and said “I’ll go!” I would happily sign a billion-year contract just so I could stop sweeping that stupid yard.

The Bunker: OK, let’s take a look at the document itself.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/21/k...-lay-out-its-disturbing-ideas-about-children/
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

Wally Hanks, Scientology ranch terror recently portrayed on ‘Leah Remini,’ dies at 70

By Tony Ortega, October 22, 2017

Quote:

Wally Hanks, the employee at the 1990s Scientologist-run Mace-Kingsley Ranch in New Mexico who was heard terrorizing a child on an audio tape played back for an episode of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath that aired on October 10, died Friday night at a hospital in Southern California. He was 70 years old.

“We were expecting it for a while,” says Brian Hanks, 34, whose father, Michael, was Wally’s older brother. “He had a stroke a few months ago, and kidney failure. The past ten years have been hell for him.”

Wallace Earl Hanks was born in August 1947 and grew up in a Dallas orphanage with his brother and a sister. “They had it rough,” Brian tells us. But even though he knew about his uncle’s reputation at the ranch, he knew a man most others didn’t get to see. “He was a Vietnam vet. He had his issues, but I loved him. He always treated me right.”

At Mace-Kingsley Ranch, Wally Hanks was known for dishing out punishment to the Scientology kids who had been sent there for rehabilitation by their parents. As former Ranch kid Nathan Rich explained in the Leah Remini episode, Hanks had a paddle that he used to hit children as discipline. In the audiotape, Hanks can be heard terrorizing a child named Marco who would not stand still for his paddling.

We asked Brian, was Wally aware that earlier this month his legendary cruelty at the ranch became the subject of a national television program?

“No. He was barely conscious and he couldn’t talk. But knowing him, he wouldn’t have given a damn even if he had known,” he says.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/22/w...recently-portrayed-on-leah-remini-dies-at-70/
  13. xander meehan Member

Reading this seriously makes me want to smash mis cabbage
  14. xander meehan Member

Yup...me too.... I was really bummed out when I watched her speak... total bummer... nice ... very nice lady
  15. xander meehan Member

The thing that bugs me the most is that these are clearindisputable child labor law violations both fed and state....
    I have never understood that....

Same thing with RPF.... a freaking private GULAG...
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

Tonight on ‘Leah Remini’: The business of Scientology, and the pitfalls of suing it

By Tony Ortega, October 24, 2017

Quote:

Tonight, at 10 pm A&E airs the second “special” episode in the second season of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, an episode which tries to come to grips with Scientology’s rapacious business model and how people get caught up in it.

To help explain how Scientology operates as a business (which calls itself a church) Mike and Leah bring out Mat Pesch, who was also featured in the first episode of the first season. In that episode, Mat helped his wife Amy Scobee tell her story of disconnection from her mother, Bonny Elliott.

But Mat appears this time because he himself was an executive in the finances division at the Flag Land Base in Clearwater, Florida, the revenue engine that drives the entire worldwide enterprise. Mat says that Flag was bringing in $2 million a week, and had $450 million just sitting on account from church members toward future courses that they might never take.

Mat explains that it’s all fueled by “registrars” who customize their hard-sell techniques for each church member.

“It’s so cutthroat you would not believe it,” he says. “It’s a machine. And it’s designed to get as much money out of you as possible.”

Leah admits that she tried to convince people to pay for expensive courses in Scientology, but she had a softer approach, and she couldn’t bring herself to be ruthless about it — she worried that some people really couldn’t afford Scientology’s high prices. (Counseling at the upper end of the “Bridge” can run $1,000 an hour.)

Mat responds that when Leah was compassionate like that, she was committing an actual Scientology offense known as “suppressive reasonableness.” We have to admit, that was a new one on us. It’s a high crime in Scientology to be reasonable!

Once again, the use of Scientology documents to back up everything being said in this episode was absolutely top notch. This series proves that it cares about the details and respects its audience.

For more on Scientology’s draconian contracts, Leah and Mike bring out Underground Bunker contributor Jeffrey Augustine, who goes through the sneaky documents that church members are asked to sign.

What Jeffrey and Leah together demonstrate is that while the church is making grandiose claims from the works of L. Ron Hubbard about what Scientology can do, members are signing contracts which say the opposite — that Scientology promises nothing, and that members who don’t like it give up the right to sue.

<snipped>

The final portion of the show is what actually resulted in a recent court filing and complaints by the Church of Scientology that Leah Remini was trying to influence a federal judge.

Leah brings on California resident Luis Garcia and his Florida attorney, Ted Babbitt, to talk about Luis’s four-year lawsuit alleging that he’d been defrauded by the church.

More at https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/24/t...-of-scientology-and-the-pitfalls-of-suing-it/
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini Exposes How Scientology Makes Its Money in Latest Docuseries Episode

By Anna Rumer, Pop Culture, October 24, 2017

Quote:

Leah Remini's A&E docuseries Scientology and the Aftermath took a recess this week from its more emotionally charged episodes to break down allegations that the Church of Scientology has scammed people out of billions of dollars.

Remini and co-host Mike Rinder explained that unlike donations in religions such as Christianity, Islam or Judaism, the Church of Scientology doesn't ask for a portion of your income, but assigns fixed prices to different spiritual goals.

Asking for a refund, Rinder said, labels you a suppressive person, or persona non grata in the eyes of the church, and an ironclad legal contract members are forced to sign prevents people from making trouble in the future.

"Why doesn't somebody see this and say this is bullshit?" Remini asked incredulously.

Special guest Mat Pesch, a former Scientologist of 28 years, used to work for the finance department of a Clearwater, Florida, church as a "registrar" for 7 years.

Pesch explained that as a registrar, he and his co-workers were responsible for soliciting donations from all members of the church, regardless of whether they could afford them or not.

The former Scientologist claimed that during his stint in the Florida church, they were bringing in $2 million a week in donations.

Remini recalled registrars would come to her house unannounced and shake her furniture, yelling, "This is nothing!" in attempts to get her to donate more. While the aggressive tactics didn't work on the Kevin Can Wait actress, appealing to her desire to help other people did.

"More heartfelt stuff did work on me," she said. "I guess i knew the system was set up, but i guess i never knew how much."

"It's a machine and it's all set up to get maximum money from you," Pesch said.

Jeffrey Augustine, a former Scientologist, said he's unclear how the government can sit by and allow the Church of Scientology to accept these donations under tax-exempt status.

"What does it take for the IRS to do its job?" he asked.

Viewers on Twitter said they were shocked to hear Remini describe the church's financial practices.

Continued at http://popculture.com/reality-tv/2017/10/25/leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath-finances/

Leah Remini Claims Church Of Scientology Has Scammed Members Of Billions

https://www.inquisitr.com/4576095/l...-scientology-has-scammed-members-of-billions/
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

19. The Wrong Guy Member

Mirriam Francis: Picturing Scientology parents who abandon their children to abuse

By Tony Ortega, October 26, 2017

Quote:

Leah Remini’s second season of Scientology and the Aftermath started off with a hammer blow to the church — a devastating episode about child molestation in Scientology that was condoned and covered up.

One of the women featured in that episode, Mirriam Francis, described what it was like to have a mother so dedicated to Scientology that even in 2013 she would not lift a finger to help Mirriam try to get justice after being assaulted for years by her own father.

Mirriam reached out to us this week to tell us that she has an awful coda to that story. She found a photograph, and it tells her even more about how she was victimized. Here’s what she sent us.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/26/m...-parents-who-abandon-their-children-to-abuse/
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

KID CORPS: Scientology wanted to turn children into little machines of Sea Org efficiency

By Tony Ortega, October 27, 2017

Quote:

Like anything else in Scientology, how children are treated is governed by a huge number of policies and reports, and in this series we’re looking documents that show how children were treated under the ideas of L. Ron Hubbard. We’re fortunate that one man has done so much to collect huge numbers of such documents — Mark “Warrior” Plummer, who left Scientology in 1983, and is pretty legendary for the collection of church materials he’s amassed. Also helping us is Sunny Pereira, who for several weeks has been working with Mark to pull out key documents for us to discuss.

The Bunker: Sunny, today’s document dates from 1979, and it’s about the setting up of a “Sea Org school” for children at the Los Angeles headquarters. Help us navigate it.

Sunny: This document explains how schooling of children was successful on the ship Apollo with L. Ron Hubbard, where the children were all together with stable nannies and tutors, from 1967 to 1975.

The Bunker: And where kids were stuck in the chain locker for days at a time if they misbehaved.

Sunny: The school was run on Flag Orders, issued by Hubbard. And the AB checksheet is mentioned, which is the Able Bodied Seaman checksheet, which taught sea basics to all Sea Org members. The children were put through this training as a first step into becoming full Sea Org members. So that’s what’s happening here, they want to make this school turn out little Sea Org members.

The Bunker: And how do they plan to do that?

Sunny: In the Cadet Org, we were taught that Scientology was the only road out. We learned that society was on its way out. We were made to believe the outside world was a dangerous place. And that if you could not make it in the Sea Org, you would be cast out into that dangerous world. Also, the fact that you could not make the grade into the Sea Org, that made you a degraded being, and not only would you be close to last to being salvaged, but it would either take a long time to salvage you, or you might be stuck here for eternity. We learned early on that family ties were temporary, in this lifetime only, and the future of our planet was far more important than who our parents were.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/27/k...n-into-little-machines-of-sea-org-efficiency/
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Quentinanon Member

"We asked Brian, was Wally aware that earlier this month his legendary cruelty at the ranch became the subject of a national television program?
    “No. He was barely conscious and he couldn’t talk. But knowing him, he wouldn’t have given a damn even if he had known,” he says."

Which is a testament to the fact that Wally Hanks was a sociopath, a "good scientologist".

And the online attacks against Kevin Can Wait are done by the OSA front group, STAND, which means Scienazis Terrorize Attack Nullify Destroy.
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Tonight on ‘Aftermath’: How Leah Remini’s friends in Scientology put her to the test

By Tony Ortega, October 31, 2017

Quote:

If you remember Leah Remini’s reality show It’s All Relative, you may remember one of the rare moments when she brought up the subject of Scientology. In one episode, she brought on three of her friends who were also former Scientologists, and we interviewed one of them, Chantal Dodson.

Now, in tonight’s episode of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, Chantal and another of those friends, Sherry Ollins, are back for a more in-depth telling of their stories as children growing up in Scientology and how their lives intersected with Leah’s own experience. It’s an emotional journey, and Leah’s insights about herself are stunning.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/31/t...i-friends-in-scientology-put-her-to-the-test/
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini Gets Emotional Recalling How She 'Failed' Childhood Friends Because of Scientology

By Anna Rumer, Pop Culture

Quote:

While Leah Remini has largely remained a step removed from the subjects of her A&E docuseries, this week's episode of Scientology and the Aftermath had her getting personal with old friends from her childhood in the Church of Scientology.

"I was guilty of disconnecting from my own friends because of Scientologist policy and it's not really something I've come to terms with," Leah said at the top of the episode. "I have a lot of emotions and guilt."

In an emotional reunion, Leah and her co-host Mike Rinder met with Sherry Ollins and Chantal Dodson, childhood friends of Leah who collectively spent almost 40 years as Scientologists before leaving the church.

Both Sherry and Chantal came to be in Scientology's Sea Org, or fraternal organization of the most dedicated members, as a young teen, after years being forced to work in the church's nursery or as a maid.

"I knew in my heart this is not right," Sherry said. "I just remember it being a very hard existence."

The Church of Scientology has disputed the claims Remini and her docuseries have put forth.

Sherry remembers meeting Leah for the first time in New York at a Scientology event and then again in Clearwater, Florida when Leah became part of the Sea Org.

The two friends remembered spending their early teen years in filthy Scientology dorms filled with roaches, trying to catch a moment to dance or act like the kids they were away from those who would report them for that.

“It was the first relationship where I could really share with another human being what I was feeling and not get a report written on me or get in trouble," Sherry said.

After leaving the Sea Org in their mid-teens, Leah and Sherry moved to Los Angeles, where they joined up with a crowd of other ex-Sea Org teens living without parental guidance.

“All these kids were just trying to make it, trying to eat," Leah said.

"We parented each other. We looked out for each other. We would not have survived without each other," Sherry added.

One of those kids was Chantal, who left the Sea Org at 16 to live on Sherry's couch. But two years later, she rejoined the organization with her new husband.

“Honestly, (it was) because it was all I knew and it was really, really hard being out," Chantal said. "You have no purpose, no education, no money."

She stayed in the Sea Org again until she was 23, when she left because the church decreed Sea Org members couldn't have children. At 31, she left Scientology altogether.

But while these friends had spent so much of their childhood as each other's rock, church policies tried to force them apart, especially when Sherry tried to go public with some of her problems with Scientology and Leah ended their friendship.

"Looking back on it now, she was doing what I'm doing now...with this show," Leah said. "I just didn't look."

Wiping away tears, Leah said she still has a hard time recognizing how she walked away from one of her best friends.

"I failed everything I supposedly represent in that moment," she said. "I didn't stand by my friend."

Source: http://popculture.com/reality-tv/20...failed-childhood-friends-because-scientology/
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology The Aftermath S2 E10: the Aftermath

By Mike Rinder

Quote:

True to form, BEFORE the show even aired, scientology had their smears up about Chantal Dodson and Sherry Ollins. These people literally have no shame. Nor sense. But they seem to have a limitless supply of bullshit.

They begin with a clever Halloween theme: “Just in time for Halloween, Leah Remini and A&E continue their religious witch hunt.” That is an award-winner.

They opt for broad generalities, Chantal “ranks among the most ludicrous and transparently false yet. To say they never happened is a gross understatement. Chantal’s absurd claims fit the modus operandi for Remini and A&E that has become so familiar.” Of course, no specifics — because they wrote this without having even SEEN the show! They then roll into how the show has resulted in “more than 500 threats against the Church, including death threats.” They have been using this number for months, and when they first trotted out this absurdity they were taken to task by the media because they have absolutely nothing to back it up. But even that aside, one would conclude that if the FIRST show caused these 500 threats then there would be another 500 for the next show and they would be nearing 5,000 by now? Or was the only show that generated any threats just the first one about abuse of children and the rest have gone unnoticed? Come on OSA, you are not even trying.

They trot out their old bleat: “All come from sources that Remini boasts are “unvetted,” a self-admitted lack of integrity that A&E’s attorneys are more than happy to let her get away with.” They have modified this statement, I guess the A&E attorneys got upset with scientology saying nobody was “vetting” the show when there is an army of lawyers doing so. But hey, scientology, if all of this stuff is maliciously and deliberately false — where are the lawsuits? You employ numerous lawyers to send cut and paste letters. Why are you not suing?

The absurdity of their rants is then highlighted by this “After Dodson left the Sea Org more than three decades ago, she returned in 1989 and actively worked to be accepted. She stayed for another four years, which raises the critical question neither Dodson nor Remini want to answer: if conditions were so bad the first time around, why was she so eager to rejoin? It’s a question A&E refuses to address because it would undermine Dodson’s tale and make her useless as the prop Remini needs to cue her to cry on camera.” Well, gosh guys, if you had watched the program you would know this WAS answered. Chantal felt lost in the “wog” world after being raised in the SO and while still a teenager she returned to the only thing she knew. She had married a guy who wanted to join the SO and she badly wanted children. Oh yeah, you totally undermined her credibility… This makes clear what fools they really are.

They then go on to explain what a wonderful life Chantal had in the SO: “she never lacked for anything.” Anyone who has watched this show knows what a bald-faced lie this is! And they try to gild that turd with this: “Chantal Dodson and other children of Sea Org members played together and were also given the opportunity to contribute. They operated their own organization, the Cadet Organization, that was always under adult supervision.” And: “Dodson’s cousin, Michael Graves, also recalled the pleasant childhood Chantal and her sister Natalie had. He said the sisters were always happy when they lived in Clearwater in the late 1970s, which he described as “like paradise.” Hahaha — everyone knows the truth about children in the SO now. Graves then claims “Chantal’s tales” are “a delusion fed by Leah Remini for her TV show.” Of course, Graves has not seen the show! And knows NOTHING about life as a child in the Sea Org. But hell, he is an expert on this because he is her cousin? Where is the scientology official appearing on the show to respond?

Their “big attack” is that Chantal went to a local public high school in LA and there were people there who took drugs! It doesn’t say SHE took drugs — just that she went to a public school where people took drugs. And then they tack on that she “was unable to adhere to the high ethical standards” — the tired line they use when anyone escapes the Sea Org.

And finally, to prove that everything that happened in scientology is “a lie” they go low — claiming Chantal had an “affair”with a man she then married. And that “she smokes marijuana” (OMG, call the FBI) which somehow is intended to be evidence that she is a liar?? I think the people that are high are the ones that write this stuff. Surely even they cannot think this is effective.

And that is IT. The best they have to prove that everything Chantal Dodson said was lies.

Then they turn to Sherry and it’s every bit as feeble.

Their first evidence that everything Sherry says — that they have not seen — is untrue is this: “Ollins was a guest on Remini’s previous show, It’s All Relative, and never once mentioned any complaints she is now alleging. In other words, she’s now making it up and embellishing her past for Remini’s cameras.”

This is as logical as saying because Gwyneth Paltrow didn’t talk about Harvey Weinstein molesting her when she appeared in Shakespeare in Love she is just making it up and embellishing it now. And there are more people who have provided first hand testimony about the abuses of scientology, especially towards children, than there are who have provided testimony against Harvey Weinstein. As a result, he is now toast. So too should be the fate of scientology.

Strangely, then they recount Sherry’s history: “Ollins’ parents signed the consent forms allowing her to join the Sea Org in 1982 [not mentioning she was 11 years old]. At that time children could join but only if they continued attending school as required by state law. Today, anyone under 18 wanting to join the Sea org must be at least 16, have written parental permission, and possess a high school diploma or a GED.” Wow, way to go proving that everything she says is made up! They confirmed what she said — except for the schooling. Sea Org children were NOT properly schooled. But hey scientology, if everything was so great, why did you change the rules?

And then they haul out some old “roommate” “Bonnie” from Clearwater who claims “the girls had a lot of fun, living in a spacious room with other girls. They lived a drug-free lifestyle that included going to school every day, having weekends off and going to the mall or to the movies on Friday. She said they did minor clerical work…” Riiight…

By 1985, Ollins decided she no longer wanted to remain in the Sea Org and has had no contact with the Church in the 32 years since. Yeah, pretty much got that right too. And this proves what?

They finally get down to the real meaty stuff, telling a story about how Sherry’s stepfather’s daughter took the psych drug Zoloft. He was the scientologist. She’s not Sherry’s daughter.

And their parting shot? “Leah Remini has always defended Sherry Ollins and her treatment of her family which has resulted in misery, just like Remini’s miserable friends and relatives.”

Nobody who watches this program or has had any contact with scientology needs to be reminded just who it is that causes misery to friends and relatives. Scientology’s toxic disconnection policy has caused the destruction of numerous families around the world.

And that is all they had to offer up to smear Chantal and Sherry. That is what they call in the industry “weak sauce.”

Scientology should at least wait until the episode airs. If ever anyone needed proof that scientology has NO interest in EVER responding to the facts that are presented in the show, it is this. They can’t be bothered to even pretend they care about what is said — their modus operandi is to attempt to smear the victims of their abuse. This is incontrovertible evidence of that fact.

For those who are not familiar with scientology’s policies, here are a few earlier blog posts that will help you understand the mindset scientologists have about those who criticize any part of it:
    Dealing with Critics of Scientology — The L. Ron Hubbard Playbook

And then read this one:
    Why Do Scientologists Lie?

And here is a fairly short explanation of how disconnection is used in scientology (and how they try to spin the practice):
    Disconnection: the PR and the Truth

An overview of the efforts by scientology to smear Leah Remini:
    Scientology Dead Agents* Itself

And finally this is a post about the lies they tell about their “expansion”:
    Scientology “expansion” debunked

Source: https://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-the-aftermath-s2-e10-the-aftermath/
    • Like Like x 1
  25. https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba7mVucDFzQ/?hl=en

[IMG]

[IMG]

Someone with Instagram, please tell this guy that I was there on my own, not as part of a promotional campaign with A&E as he implies. I am definitely not being paid for this shit.

Thanks in advance.
  26. TrevAnon Member

You're doing it wrong. Just call Pfizer to get info on how to get your weekly cheque. ;)
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

28. The Wrong Guy Member

Tonight on ‘Leah Remini’: ‘I just walked away from Scientology after seeing Leah’s show’

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, November 7, 2017

Excerpt:

“I don’t give a damn if nothing comes out of this except for maybe one other parent will listen to me. Please, I beg of you — save your children, go back to your children,” Ramina [Nunnelee] says in a powerful appeal to the camera. “No church is a church if they condone, advocate that family members must split up and disavow each other. No decent church would do that. How could they be considered a church?”

https://tonyortega.org/2017/11/07/t...way-from-scientology-after-seeing-leahs-show/

Search keywords: Chantal Dodson, Ramina Nunnelee, Mirriam Francis
    • Like Like x 1
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini Reveals Attacks on Scientology Survivors in Latest Docuseries Episode

By Anna Rumer, Pop Culture

Quote:

Leah Remini explored the repercussions of speaking out against the Church of Scientology Tuesday in the newest episode of Scientology and the Aftermath, getting back in touch with people who opposed the church in the first season of her A&E docuseries.

"When we have a contributor come on the program, within seconds they have a hate website," Remini said. "...but what's crazier is that Scientology doesn't stop after that. They continue their abuse and now they've taken their abuse to a level that is fucking sick."

"Their policy is to utterly annihilate," co-host Mike Rinder said.

Mary Kahn, who spoke out against the church in December 2016, not only had a website posted calling her a "con," but a video campaign released by the church featuring her estranged son Sammy, who is still a Scientologist.

In the video, Sammy says it was his mother's choice not to be in contact with him because she chose to oppose something that "really makes [him] happy."

They also released publicly information about a child from a past marriage that Kahn said was part of why she found herself wounded enough to join the Church of Scientology in the first place.

Not all has been bad, however.

Chantal Dodson, a longtime friend of Remini's who appeared on last week's episode of the docuseries received a text from her estranged mother soon after she appeared on the show.

"I am personally, totally done with Scientology," she said. "We also know what grave mistakes we made being a part of it," she continued.

Dodson's mother appeared on the show alongside her long lost daughter this week, saying she "didn't give a damn" if nothing came out of her TV appearance but one parent leaving Scientology and returning to their family.

"I beg of you, I beg of you, save you children," she said, weeping. "Go back to your children."

The Church of Scientology denies the claims Remini has made during the docuseries.

Source: http://popculture.com/reality-tv/20...-attacks-on-season-one-scientology-survivors/
    • Like Like x 2
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

31. PODCAST: Chris Crimy [@MiamiSixthMan] of @CGS_Extra interview with @SainaKamula about Scientology and what happened with the charges filed on Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cgshere/2017/11/10/come-get-sum-extra-scientology--saina-kamula

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Saina Kamula was on the first episode of Season 2 Scientology and the Aftermath. Her story touched many but there is much more to tell that TV time doesn't allow. Join us as we discuss Sainas entire story with a few really incredible insights from a very brave hero anyone trying to escape Scientology and find justice.

What is it like when there is a Suicide attempt? How is Saina coping post Aftermath? AND What happened with the charges filed on Aftermath?

Find the answers to these questions and more on this edition of Come Get Sum Extra!!

Follow Saina at @SainaKamula

If you or someone you love is considering Suicide PLEASE contact :

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
    Call 1-800-273-8255

Available 24 hours everyday

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *

• Like Like x 1
  32. Quentinanon Member

I liked the research that Marc Headley did on the sheer abundance of the scienazi attack websites and the stock model photos used in attempt to give the sites credibility.
    Ironically, the guy who presided over the development of Fair Game internet attack websites was sitting a few feet away from Marc, and his name is Mike Rinder.
    None of the people assembled asked Mike about that history of his that made it past the video editing process. (or did any of them ask at all?)
    For this reason, that episode felt creepy to me.
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

Mirriam Francis‏ @MirriamFrancis 5 hours ago
    I signed a billion year contract at 13 years old.
    #billionyearchild #billionyearchildren #seaorgkids #scientology #ScientologyTheAftermath

DOUMtiXVoAAhpIM.jpg
    DOUMtx2UIAcDUUo.jpg
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

Tonight on ‘Leah Remini’: Scientology’s front groups, including Narconon, get a special look

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, November 12, 2017

Quote:

Hey, it’s Sunday, not Tuesday. Why is there a new episode of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath running tonight at 8 pm, and why is it running several days after the series finale?

These are questions only A&E can answer. For two seasons now, the network has seemingly done everything it can to confuse its viewers. But all we know is, we’re glad you’ll get a chance to see Quailynn McDaniel and Fred Oxaal talk to Mike and Leah tonight.

Mike starts off the episode with a great definition of the purpose of Scientology’s “propaganda arms” — what we also refer to as “front groups.” Mike says they serve three purposes.

1. To give the impression that Scientology is doing good works, and so create goodwill with the public.
    2. To convince Scientologists that the church is having an effect on the planet.
    3. And most importantly, to convince Scientologists to donate money.

Leah says there were five mandatory annual events that all Scientologists were expected to attend, and we’ve seen video presented at those events which show that church members are bombarded with news about the front groups such as Narconon, CCHR, the “Volunteer Ministers,” and The Way to Happiness Foundation. Once again, Leah’s show makes excellent use of video and documents from Scientology itself to make their points.

We first met Fred Oxaal at a backyard barbecue some four or five years ago. And it’s really criminal that he hasn’t been featured before this. We really should have told you about him long ago. Not only was he a Scientologist for thirty years, but he helped found The Way to Happiness Foundation, and he’s really an expert on how many ways Scientologists are financially squeezed coming and going.

<snipped>

We wrote about Quailynn McDaniel in February. Her story is one of the most unique we’ve ever covered. She was a public Scientologist the church used to help pamper its celebrities, including Jenna and Bodhi Elfman, who were close friends. Like so many other Scientologists, Quailynn and her husband Paul eventually became disillusioned, and so their former friends had to cut them off. We even have Bodhi Elfman’s disconnection letter, which we printed in the February story.

As glamorous “publics” who rubbed elbows with Scientology’s celebs, they were expected to get involved with all of the church’s front groups. In particular, Quailynn tells Leah about using her husband’s plane to fly Volunteer Ministers to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005.

Did they bring food, water, or blankets? Nope. They brought Scientology booklets to hand out to the National Guard, including copies of “How to Improve a Marriage.”

Quailynn says the reaction from the guards was one of confusion. But the important point was, they got their photo opportunities.

“It’s all for PR,” Mike says, and he reveals that Scientology had even put together a pamphlet instructing volunteers how to shoot and preserve evidence of their activities. We hadn’t seen that pamphlet before, and it’s a hoot.

It was a real pleasure to meet Quailynn in person, the first time since we wrote about her in February. And we followed up with her yesterday, asking her for an update.

In our story, she was taking care of her mother, and they both have been “disconnected” by Quailynn’s brother and sister, who remain in Scientology.

“My mom posted on her Facebook about the show. She knows she probably will never hear from my brother or sister again. She most likely won’t ever see my brother’s daughter, her granddaughter either. It’s the sad truth. It’s funny this is all happening on Veterans Day weekend. My brother is a Marine. My mom has threatened the church many times with filing a missing persons report on my sister, and she only gets two-line cards from my sister in bold print in return, saying she’s good. Once a month. Mom is accepting the end [of that relationship]. It took me eight years to accept it. We have both done everything we could. She told me I am her only daughter now. But the truth is, if either one of them ever escaped we would help them in every way possible. I hope the church collapses sooner rather than later. And the funny thing, is the show isn’t even about me. It’s about what I saw being on the ground for the Volunteer Ministers at Katrina.”

That’s a good reminder that someone really ought to have Quailynn on their television show to talk about all of the other things she knows — about pampering Scientology’s celebs, taking care of their children, opening a mission, getting hounded for donations, and ultimately jumping ship when they asked her to divorce her husband and steal from him.

More at https://tonyortega.org/2017/11/12/t...groups-including-narconon-get-a-special-look/
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini Calls Out Scientology For Drug Rehab Deaths On ‘Scientology and the Aftermath’

By Kayla Cobb, Decider, November 13, 2017

Quote:

Last night, Leah Remini did something that almost seems impossible in the second season of her critically-acclaimed docuseries — she dove into yet another minimally discussed faction of Scientology. Welcome to the world of Narconon.

Narconon is a substance abuse treatment facility that relies on the tenants of Scientology and is backed by the Church of Scientology. But, as noted Scientology journalist Tony Ortega puts it, the facility is primarily a front for conversion. “Scientology advertises that they’re going to give you individualized drug counseling. And they’re very careful never to tell you that you won’t be talking about drugs at all. You’re just getting Scientology training,” Ortega said in an interview on the show.

The facility’s treatment is largely composed of a 25-day sauna program. However, if people who go through this program have certain preexisting health issues, it can result in discomfort, health problems, or even death. There have been multiple deaths over the years that have been linked to Narconon facilities.

“Then go into this 25-day sauna program where they’re being baked, you know, four or five hours a day. Well, these parents, before sending their loved ones to Narconon should be checking it out before putting them into a risky situation,” Ortega said. “It’s risky, it’s bad, and several people have died.”

Despite these alleged hazards, Narconon still boasts a 91 percent success rate, a number that the facilities’ own lawyers have said is untrue, Scientology and the Aftermath claims. It’s an odd and fascinating episode of a fascinating series. However, you would be forgiven for missing this particular installment. “Propaganda Arms,” the twelfth episode in Season 2, premiered to little to no fanfare or promotion after Scientology and the Aftermath‘s conclusion last Tuesday. Not only that, but the episode premiered on a Sunday night, a break from the show’s typical Tuesday premiere. This Tuesday another new episode of the series, titled “The Life and Lies of L. Ron Hubbard,” is also set to air after this season’s finale.

New episodes of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath premiere on Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on A+E.

Source: https://decider.com/2017/11/13/leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath-narconon/
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

Tonight on ‘Leah Remini’: L. Ron Hubbard gets the Russell Miller treatment

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, November 14, 2017

Quote:

Leah Remini concludes her “special” episodes of Season Two tonight at 10 pm by having on two real experts on Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard: author Russell Miller and former “Deputy Commodore” Hana Whitfield. (One final show for Season Two is scheduled for next week, when Leah will answer viewer questions in a Reddit-sponsored episode.)

We’re really glad that Leah has taken on this subject. In the first season, Leah was pretty vocal about sticking to Scientology’s abuses, and made a point of not going near Scientology’s beliefs. But earlier this season, she took on Scientology’s beliefs head-on with one of the best episodes she’s done — she had on Bruce Hines and her own mother, Vicki Marshall, to take apart Scientology auditing and the “Bridge to Total Freedom.”

And now, she’s going even more basic than that, taking a hard look at the man behind Scientology, its inventor, Hubbard. “As a child, I saw him as some sort of deity,” she says to open the show. “Me too,” Mike responds. “My goal was to join the Sea Org and go work with L. Ron Hubbard.”

They then start things at the end, by talking about Hubbard’s death in 1986. Scientologists were told that Hubbard had elected to discard his body in order to perform “research” unhindered by his physical form. And to accent that, at a January 27, 1986 event at the Hollywood Palladium, Scientology attorney Earle Cooley lied his ass off and said that Hubbard’s body was very sound and could have served him for many more years.

The truth, of course, was that Hubbard, a lifelong heavy smoker, had been in bad health for years, and died at 74 after a series of strokes. But Rinder points out Scientology is selling a way to beat the life-death cycle, and so they couldn’t admit to members that Hubbard had proved to be a mere mortal.

Hana then explains what it was about this mortal man that made her want to dedicate her entire life to serving him. And she talks about the legends that had built up around him.

And that’s a perfect set up for Russell, who then delivers a truth bomb.

“Everything about him was a lie,” Russell says.

Russell’s 1987 biography of Hubbard, Bare-Faced Messiah, is still the definitive volume about the man who started Scientology, and it’s a cracking great read.

We especially enjoyed Russell’s debunking of Hubbard’s myths about his wounds suffered in World War 2. As Russell explains (and once again, Leah’s crew makes excellent use of actual documents and other supporting evidence), Hubbard never saw a day of combat and suffered from ailments like an ulcer and pink eye.

It’s a wonderful deflating of the Hubbard myth, and we hope some current church members sneak a peek at the episode.

The round table also gets into a discussion about Hubbard’s family, including his three wives and all seven children and the fate of each.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2017/11/14/t...on-hubbard-gets-the-russell-miller-treatment/
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

The Final Aftermath Smears?

By Mike Rinder, November 14, 2017

Quote:

With two specials in 3 days, scientology has been working overtime on concocting smears about the show contributors. Of course, they NEVER respond to anything the people say, never dispute the abuses or the lies exposed by any of the contributors or on the show in general. They just sling mud.

They have nothing they CAN dispute, so their only avenue is to try to “discredit the source”.

Let’s take their smears in sequence.

Tony Ortega

Of course Tony has long been a target of the scientology smear brigade. But they have nothing new so they roll out their moldy old chestnuts — Tony Ortega “shamelessly shilled for the notorious online human trafficking and child prostitution enabler Backpage” and “once mocked two brave teenagers after they went public with their story of being brutally raped by a career criminal.”

I am not sure it is even worth rehashing any of this drivel — but for the record of new readers who may be coming to this site after watching these shows.

Tony was formerly the editor in chief of the Village Voice. The Voice had controversial adult ads on the website (not in the paper itself), put there by a separate company called “Backpage.” Tony was in charge of the writers and art department of the Voice, but had nothing whatsoever to do with advertising. He worked for Village Voice Media, Backpage was a separate company. But facts are not scientology’s friend. They refer to him as “Backpage Tony”, like they refer to me as “Wife-beater Rinder,” though he had no involvement in the ads. Tony Ortega was not a “shill” for any advertiser on the Village Voice website — clearly scientology doesn’t understand how reputable publications have a wall between editorial and advertising (their publications are ALL propaganda and advertising and there is no distinction). I am not even going down the path of giving the real facts concerning Backpage as it would only be relevant if there was any connection.

As for the “mocking two brave teenagers” — the kings of victim shaming have some nerve making this accusation. Wow. For anyone interested, they can find the SATIRE piece Tony wrote 15 years ago criticizing NBC which had promoted two minor rape victims into some sort of perverted TV “celebrities.”

But, of course the real issue here is that scientology responds to not a SINGLE thing Tony says. Ever. They have not responded to anything he has written for the Village Voice or on his blog. He has been doing this for decades. Scientology, with all the high-priced lawyers money can buy have not sued Tony Ortega for reporting anything inaccurately. Hell, they don’t even TRY to refute what he reports.

That really says it all: the big bully with all the legal attack dogs money can buy do nothing but create webpages calling Tony (and everyone else) names.

And finally, because he was never a scientologist, they do not have a stable of POW victims to put lipstick on and sit in front of a camera and read a script about him. So, who do they use as their “authority” — Marty Rathbun! Not even worth discussing the insanity of that or his unhinged speculation.

As a sort of side-note, scientology keeps going after A&E’s “chief enabler, Nancy Dubuc.” Now they are trying to taint her by saying that she “quickly distanced herself” from “her longtime “Project Runway” business partner Harvey Weinstein” — hang on there scientology. You know the old adage about people in glass houses not throwing stones. You know who has NOT distanced themselves from Harvey Weinstein? The star of one of Weinstein’s biggest hits of all time, Pulp Fiction’s John Travolta.

And then they move on to Quailynn McDaniel and Fred Oxaal, “still bitter at having been kicked out of the Church for their inability to uphold its ethical standards.” This is another of their laugh out loud lines that they use for virtually anyone who ever escapes scientology and speaks out. That they think people are bitter because they are no longer trapped inside the scientology bubble is a conceit that is hard to wrap your wits around, until you remember the level of delusion they operate under. Scientologists are certain they are “clearing the planet.”

Fred Oxaal

The big attack on Fred is that he is “old news” because he left 15 years ago. That is a really strange position for scientology to take — while dragging up everyone else’s long gone history. NOTHING changes in scientology. Nothing CAN change. What Hubbard wrote in 1950 remains true today in scientology. Let alone what he wrote in the 80s.

Apart from that, all they have for Fred is the Barbara Ayash card — what a wonderful woman she was for founding the Concerned Businessmen’s Association and how terrible Fred was as he was “always demanding money.”

In an ironic twist, the person who exposed how scientology used, abused and abandoned Barbara Ayash was none other than Marty Rathbun. See his blog post from August 2011 IAS Atrocities (part two) – Barbara Ayash.

Another IAS Medal Winner has bitten the dust thanks to David Miscavige’s diversion of IAS donations toward suppressing the truth.

Barbara Ayash was one of the early IAS Medal Winners. She was famous for her Set A Good Example campaign. Apparently, her husband funded it for two decades. When he passed away Barbara was left destitute by Miscavige, IAS, and the “church.” Miscavige it seems is too busy bankrupting people with rolling thunder events, while wiping out the human resources goodwill that enables him to do so. Barbara has been reduced to begging on her own in a noble effort to make ends meet and keep the campaign going.

Here is a very recent email from Barabara which serves as proof as to Miscavige’s and IAS’s true, hidden policies with respect to the overblown hype they feed followers in order to clean out their bank accounts.

Nothing inconsistent here — Marty can trash both sides of the fence and still they rely on him as a credible source. Talk about “unvetted.”

Their final jab at Fred — he “graduated from selling rugs to selling cars.” Again glass houses bite scientology in the butt. The head of the Flag OTC is the notorious rug sales queen of Pinellas County, Kay “Bubbles” Champagne. She is lauded and loved. How come she can be a rug salesman and is “A-OK” and nobody else can? And hey, I used to sell cars for a living, and you tried to make a big deal about that too. What do you have against selling cars? It’s better than defrauding people out of their money for promises that are never fulfilled and destroying families. At least people get an actual CAR for their money.

Quailynn McDaniel

With not a shred of anything to use against Quailynn they announce she was “expelled from the Church in September 2015.” Well shit. That means she DOES have current information and must therefore be totally believable. Her information is just 2 years old.

And then they then go where they claim they don’t go (but in fact, do all the time). They allege she was guilty of “sexual misconduct—including threesomes and strip clubs.” Now, even if anyone was stupid enough to: a) believe it or b) think that somehow invalidates what she witnessed, you have to ask the next question: Where did such information come from? Only one of two places: a confessional or private investigators. So, which is it scientology? You want to sling the mud but pretend your hands aren’t dirty from digging in pigshit?

You are despicable and the whole world sees it.

Within minutes of tonite’s episode beginning to air, scientology trotted out their ad hominem attacks on Hana Whitfield and Russell Miller. Of course, they had it all prepared well in advance as they have been saying the same things about them for decades.

Hana Whitfield

Of course, Hana “remains bitter and consumed with hate more than three decades after she was expelled from the Church.” There could be good reason for this, given what was done to her (and has continued AFTER she left), but anyone who has ever met Hana (and I am sure any viewer of the program) would attest that she is not consumed with hate and doesn’t have a cruel or bitter bone in her body. She is all class, soft-spoken grace and good manners. Though she is dedicated to helping those who have been abused by scientology.

Often, the question is asked of people who tell their stories “why didn’t you sue them”? Like Marc and Claire Headley, Hana did. Scientology likes to characterize it as “a failed coup” which is far from the truth. They crow about how Hana’s suit was thrown out (like they crow about the Headley’s) as if this means everything they have said is untrue. These cases are testament to the fact that the judicial system in the US favors those with the most money who can hire the best lawyers. Typically former SO members do not fall into the “wealthy” category. But you know scientology sued the US government for a billion dollars for engaging in a conspiracy against them and that was thrown out. Is that proof that everything scientology says is lies?

But perhaps one of the most vicious assaults leveled at any scientology whistleblower is the concocted assertion that Hana “conspired to murder her father.” This disgusting lie has been repeated over and over and it is “supported” by a “statement” from her ex-husband, a devout scientologist. That statement doesn’t even tie the statements of Hana’s mother (“the conspiracy”) to the actual murder of the abusive, child-molesting father. This claim is cobbled together out of bits and pieces of supposed “evidence” and scientology spent YEARS trying to get any police or prosecutors interested in re-opening the murder investigation. The man who committed the murder was convicted in an open and shut case. I know this was all a concocted story, it was an operation conducted by RTC to try to destroy her by pinning the murder on her. They failed, but they keep asserting it nevertheless.

Russell Miller

It is perhaps appropriate that this is the last smear to be addressed. Because this one is so absurd it belongs in the scientology Hall of Shame.

They start out with: “Once again, Remini must go back three decades to enlist a source.” Hey scientology, you know L. Ron Hubbard died in 1986, and Miller wrote a biography about him — that began when Hubbard was still alive? You still use Dianetics and that was written nearly 7 decades ago? And you think it is still true… So what does that prove?

They then claim: “Miller wrote a ridiculously inaccurate unauthorized biography of L. Ron Hubbard 30 years ago that relied entirely on bitter apostates.”

Well, anyone who has actually READ the book knows that Russell Miller relied on a vast array of sources — from family members to childhood friends to contemporaries throughout Hubbard’s life.

They go on to say: “The book is nothing more than a collection of the usual twisted, misleading and blatantly false allegations about Mr. Hubbard and his accomplishments…” and their final swipe is this:

“Miller littered his text with dozens of misappropriated copyright-protected passages from L. Ron Hubbard’s unpublished writings. Miller’s U.S. publisher dropped the book from sale in the United States following a judicial decision by a Federal appellate court that the publisher of Mr. Hubbard’s literary works would effectively be entitled to collect monetary damages from the sales of any further copies of the book.”

And here’s the rub: scientology DID sue Miller and the book’s publisher. They mounted a lengthy, expensive legal assault on Barefaced Messiah which resulted in publication being halted after about 15,000 copies had been distributed (though it is now once again being published by hero Humfrey Hunter of Silvertail books).

But understand, the basis of the lawsuit was NOT that there was anything INCORRECT in the book. In fact, the EXACT OPPOSITE. They sued on the basis that Miller had quoted unpublished works that belonged to scientology! In doing so, they authenticated the works that he quoted in the book, claiming he had made unauthorized use of them.

So, his book is actually verified and validated by scientology. AND SCIENTOLOGY HAS NEVER SUED OVER ANY SUPPOSED INACCURACY IN THE BOOK. Not in the US or anywhere else in the world.

Meanwhile, the “LRH Biographer” (Dan Sherman) has been working for more than TWO DECADES on the “authorized biography” of L. Ron Hubbard. It will NEVER be published because there are so many lies and inconsistencies that cannot be accounted for.

Thus the 3 decades old Miller biography IS the official biography of L. Ron Hubbard.

Game, set and match.

BTW — if you have not read this book, it provides fascinating, well-documented and detailed insight into the Life and Lies of L. Ron Hubbard.
    [ https://www.amazon.com/Bare-faced-Messiah-Hubbard-Russell-2014-03-18/dp/B01K3L1VSK/ ]

Source, and open comments:
    https://www.mikerindersblog.org/the-final-aftermath-smears/
  38. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Rather than expose how bad Scientology is (reporting), I would like to see Leah and Mike confront the people who could do something about it but aren't (activism).
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

Leah Remini Discusses Scientology Founder L. Ron Hubbard’s Alleged Abuse Of His Own Family | Inquisitr
    https://www.inquisitr.com/4624648/l...s-founder-l-ron-hubbard-alleged-family-abuse/

Leah Remini ‘Hasn’t Lost Her Focus’ on Exposing Scientology | Us Weekly
    https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrit...hasnt-lost-her-focus-on-exposing-scientology/

Leah Remini shows how L. Ron Hubbard abused his own family members for years | Yahoo News
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/leah-remini-shows-l-ron-083739757.html

'Scientology the Aftermath' explores L. Ron Hubbard's alleged abuse of his own family | Yahoo News
    https://news.yahoo.com/leah-remini-shows-l-ron-hubbard-abused-family-members-years-085935401.html