Customize

Leo Hamel’s Ties to Church of Scientology Eyed in California Assembly Race

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by CommunicatorIC, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Leo Hamel’s Ties to Church of Scientology Eyed in California Assembly Race.

Times of San Diego: Leo Hamel’s Ties to Church of Scientology Eyed in Assembly Race

http://timesofsandiego.com/politics...-church-of-scientology-eyed-in-assembly-race/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

San Diego jeweler Leo Hamel
    Code:
    http://www.leohamel.com/about-us/
    , a Republican candidate for state Assembly, says he joined the controversial Church of Scientology at age 18 or 19 but hasn’t taken part in church functions since the early 2000s.

Hamel’s connection to the church founded by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard is being debated on sdrostra.com, a conservative blog, and raised as an issue by one of his rivals.

“The Scientology question is a fair one,” Eric Andersen said in a comment. “Although religion should not be a test for office, it helps us understand the ideas our representatives will uphold.”

Hamel hasn’t responded to the blog about the 71st District race, he told Times of San Diego, “because it’s a lose-lose for me.”

“I’m a good guy. I do nothing but help people in this community. I donate to tons of charities,” he said Wednesday in a phone interview. “I haven’t been to a [Scientology] service … in at least 10 years, maybe 15.”

But he still took offense.

“The fact that we’re discussing somebody’s religion seems kind of against everything that we’re supposed to be standing for these days,” Hamel said. “No matter where my position is on Scientology, it’s still a religion — and it would be inappropriate to discuss someone’s religion — completely inappropriate.”

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Leo Hamel Scientology Service Completions

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/l/leo-hamel.html

Leo Hamel in Scientology's Published Service Completion Lists

The following 15 individual completions for Leo Hamel appear in official Scientology publications:

Leo Hamel SCIENTOLOGY DRUG RUNDOWN Source 72 1990-09-01
    Leo Hamel PURIFICATION RUNDOWN Source 75 1991-06-01
    Leo Hamel KEY TO LIFE COURSE Freewinds 7 1991-12-01
    Leo Hamel LIFE ORIENTATION COURSE Freewinds 7 1991-12-01
    Leo Hamel -VOLUME 0 Source 89 1993-10-01
    Leo Hamel SCIENTOLOGY DRUG RUNDOWN Source 94 1994-10-01
    Leo Hamel STATE OF MAN CONGRESS COURSE Freewinds 25 1997-10-01
    Leo Hamel PURIFICATION RUNDOWN Source 111 1997-11-01
    Leo Hamel OBJECTIVES Source 111 1997-11-01
    Leo Hamel GRADE 0 EXPANDED Source 113 1998-01-01
    Leo Hamel GRADE I EXPANDED Source 113 1998-01-01
    Leo Hamel GRADE II EXPANDED Source 113 1998-01-01
    Leo Hamel GRADE III EXPANDED Source 113 1998-01-01
    Leo Hamel SUNSHINE RUNDOWN Source 122 1999-03-01
    Leo Hamel ABILITY CONGRESS Freewinds 38 2000-06-01

Note: The dates listed above are the approximate publication dates of the magazines, which may be weeks or months later than the actual date the service was completed.

Leo Hamel in Scientology's Publications

No entries were found in my main Scientology Statistics database for this person.

Leo Hamel and the Clear List

Appearances by Leo Hamel in my Scientology Statistics Project Clear List database:

Clear No. 12,896 LEO HAMEL, Los Angeles Auditor 159

Leo Hamel and Scientologist Online Sites

My database does not list a Scientologist Online cookie-cutter web site for this person.

Leo Hamel and WISE Directories

WISE, the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises, publishes directories listing their members.

Leo Hamel appears in a recent WISE directory:

2001 WISE Directory:

Category: Jewelry
    Leo Hamel
    Leo Hamel & Co., Inc.
    2305 El Cajon Blvd

San Diego, CA 92104-1105
    United States
    Tel. (1) 619-299-1500
    Fax (1) 619-299-1595
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Letter to the editor July 9 2005

"The piece that Ruben Navarrette did on Tom Cruise and the problems with psychiatry was excellent. The mass drugging of America is a serious problem that should be addressed, rather than attacking the messenger. Cruise may have been a trifle aggressive, but psychotropic drugs are an important subject.

The billions made by the drug companies do not, in my mind, justify the drugging of a major portion of our culture."

LEO HAMEL
    San Diego
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/uniontrib/20050709/news_lz1e9lets.html
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Thank you. Cross-posted to the ESMB thread on the same subject:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...alifornia-Assembly-Race&p=1091903#post1091903
  5. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DeathHamster Member

Any relation to Linda Hamel, head of OSA?
    • Like Like x 3
  7. This is an artful dodge, but there are specific practices of any given religion that could be addressed in the course of public policy debate - as in the case of Islamophobes, especially among conservatives and Republicans, who bring up the specifics of Islamic faith and passages from the Koran in their public rhetoric on the subject.

Without condemning the freedom to believe as they choose, we can condemn the behavior that they advocate and carry out - as in the case of Thuggees practicing murder and robbery, fundamentalist Mormons practicing polygamy and underage marriages, certain Christian white supremacist movements advocating for institutionalized racism, the Hindu caste system preventing merit-based advancement, many indigenous peoples' religions practicing ostracism of "witches"/albinos/the deformed/disabled and non-consensual adult genital mutilation, and many more with arranged, often underage marriages.... The list goes on, and does not end with the abuses of Scientology.

The candidate is free to believe as he chooses, and also to choose not to take a position on the Scientology belief system as a whole. However, if he is connected to Scientology or whatever religion, it should be fair game that he be asked to take a position on specific, demonstrably repeated or institutionalized abuses of the religion or organization.
  8. DeathHamster Member

Not listed on the current WISE directory site, however, that's the WISE members that they strong-armed for an extra $399+ for the listing. I have no idea if they're forcing all current members to pay.

http://www.wisemarketplace.org/Category/10150/1/Jewelry
  9. anon8109 Member

10. RightOn Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Another excerpt from the article quoted in the OP:

http://timesofsandiego.com/politics...-church-of-scientology-eyed-in-assembly-race/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * *

Wachter said other sites reported donations to the San Diego Ideal Org fund, a local Scientology chapter, by Penny Hamel as recently as 2010.

The "reported donations" link is to the ESMB thread:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?10115-Donations-to-the-Ideal-Org-San-Diago-Unbelievable!

The ESMB thread states Penny Hamel qualified as a "Friend" who contributed $1 to $499.

According to the article quoted in the OP, Penelope Hamel is Leo Hamel's wife.

I'll also note that the ESMB thread states a Bill Hamel qualified as an Alumni who contributed $5,000. I have no idea whether Bill Hamel is related to Leo Hamel.
  12. Tony Teora for California State Assembly criticizes Santee Mayor Randy Voepel for "no comment" on Leo Hamel's alleged Scientology connections.

Tony Teora for State Assembly: Randy Voepel – No Comment?

http://tonyteora.org/randy-voepel-no-comment/

Randy Voepel – No Comment?
    March 18, 2016Tony Teora

Santee Mayor Randy Voepel recently told the Times of San Diego that he never comments on people’s beliefs. He was being asked about Leo Hamel’s Scientology connections. Leo is running against myself and Randy in District 71.

Mr. ‘No Comment’ Randy Voepel clearly shows he lacks the leadership skills to work in Sacramento. People want leaders who have a mind, who will get something done, and who have sound judgment, even opinions. Not someone who ‘never comments’.

If someone is running for office and has beliefs that we think are wrong, should we not comment? Of course we should. Randy Voepel, do you think you should have an opinion if you are running against someone who was at some time involved in a cult? Randy Voepel, did you know that Scientology is considered a cult in some countries? Scientology has been sued for teaching ‘medicine’ without a license.

Folks want representatives in Sacramento who have opinions, ideas and good judgment. Randy Voepel is a career politician without a comment.

If you want a true leader for District 71, vote for Tony Teora in 2016. I promise you I will have comments, ideas and solutions to help East County, District 71.

“You don’t get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.”

L. Ron Hubbard- creator of Scientology

• Like Like x 1
  13. BigBeard Member

Considering $cientology was involved in the largest infiltration of the U.S. government in history, I'd say any connection with $cientology was a grave concern for anyone running for public office.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 2
  14. A perhaps relevant essay from the website of JCK Online, an online jeweler. Google shows the essay is available on other websites.

http://www.jckonline.com/2016/02/19/dear-customer

Dear Customer

Anthony DeMarco | September 1, 2006

Gary Hill believes communication is the key to business and personal success. And one of the most effective ways for retail jewelers to retain the loyalty of their customers is through one of the simplest and least costly forms of communication: the letter.

Hill, president and owner of Leo Hamel & Co. in San Diego, says the letter-writing program he employs has helped his jewelry business grow from one store to two, increase the space of the original store from 2,000 to 10,000 square feet, and grow from $3 million to $12 million in annual sales.

“We graph it weekly,” Hill told a group of jewelers during a seminar at the Jewelers Executive Conference in Kansas City, Mo., held April 1 and 2. “You put your letters-out graph next to the gross-sales graph; if you see a spike in the letters, six weeks later you’ll see an increase in gross sales.”

Hill has his salespersons write 25 to 150 letters per week to their customers. The administrative staff writes 25 to 50 letters per week. They are primarily small personal notes, no more than a couple of sentences. Staffers may write whatever they want, as long as it isn’t inappropriate. “There are no restrictions to what salespersons can write in their letters,” Hill says. “They write about anything.”

NOTE: I suspect the statement Hill was the "owner" of Leo Hamel & Co. was incorrect. (As noted below, Hill is no longer with Leo Hamel & Co.)

Hill uses the letter-writing campaign as part of a communications training strategy that he personally teaches to all new employees. The program takes from two days to two weeks to learn depending on how much time employees have to put into it. The communications program, he says, was created by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.

“That’s our secret weapon,” he says, “the communication skills learned and improved upon, whether you encounter it through letters or marketing or whatever.”

Hill is a Scientologist, but adapting the letter-writing campaign to fit with Hubbard’s communications philosophy and teachings has nothing to do with Hill’s beliefs. “The principals work, no doubt about it,” he says. “That’s the thing. If they didn’t work we wouldn’t use them. God knows, as jewelry store owners we get things across our plate daily that don’t work. The trick is to find those things that do work and strengthen them.”

Hill's Linked-In profile indicates he is no longer with Leo Hamel & Co., but is now the founder of retailconsultant.biz.
  15. According to the following ESMB post, the "Cornerstone Newsletter [circa August 2007] Super Power Project" lists Leo Hamel as a Cornerstone Club Member who contributed at least $35,000 to the Scientology Super Power project.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...sletter-circa-August-2007-Super-Power-Project

CORNERSTONE CLUB MEMBERS [$35,000.00] [1236]

[SNIP]

Leo Hamel

[SNIP]

16. The Internet Member

Praising Cruise for his anti-psychiatry stance should sink this guy.

The last time I was on a conference call with my US Senator, everybody had concerns about access to good mental health care due to fentanyl/heroin affecting so many people right now. Community clinics are underfunded and overwhelmed. Insurance is cutting reimbursement to doctors since the ACA went through. So fewer doctors want to see people with mental health problems.

Mental health gets hit harder than other specialties when there are cuts because providers don't have a bunch of procedures they can bill for. So a lot of people are hoping legislators will figure out ways to rebuild the mental health part of our infrastructure.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. DeathHamster Member

18. From Truth&Honesty on ESMB.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ssembly-Race&p=1092033&viewfull=1#post1092033

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

IMHO,

From reviewing Gary Hill's linkedin page - it appears he worked at Leo Hamel's jewelry store from 1992 - 2007 (15 years) as President & CEO, then he left.

Since the name of Leo Hamel's Co. has stayed the same since 1987 (date of incorporation), I suspect Gary Hill persuaded Hamel to give him the title (CEO and Pres), in exchange for a salary and the promise to implement scientology admin tech at the jewelry store. Leo Hamel probably retained the title "owner", and most likely Chairman of Board.

Hill obviously worked there and fully implemented "scientology administrative technology" during the 15 years he was employed there. Hill left in 2007, and kicked around trying to get similar gigs elsewhere. He doesn't appear to have been very successful, IMO, but he did land a similar CEO/President title arrangement at Precision Passion Fine Jewelry in 2010. It is a small jewelry store run by a husband and wife team in Solano Beach, CA. Hill only stayed there for a couple of years.

He now appears to be semi-retired.

My guess is Gary Hill probably was either in the Church of Scientology Sea Org, or worked for WISE (a scientology subsidiary). It appears his only skill (as indicated on his LinkedIn resume) is "helping businesses grow"...... probably by implementing scientology's outdated,bloated, and exorbitantly overpriced tech.

As for Leo Hamel's ties to Scientology.....he was inundated with it everyday at work (via Gary Hill and his admin tech) up until 2007, when Hill left his company. And that same "scientology" administrative system is still probably functioning in his jewelry store today.

So I would say Leo is more recently involved with Scientology than he is comfortable with admitting.

If Leo Hamel has not come out PUBLICLY, and announced his departure from Scientology, like most of us have........then there is probably still a connection there....or possibly he has family "still in" that he does not want to be disconnected from.

At any rate, since he participated in scientology auditing, his deepest darkest secrets have been recorded and kept by the Church of Scientology. Could those secrets be used against him....to influence him in the future? You decide.

Below is a snipet of Gary Hill's LinkedIn page :

Gary Hill

Summary
    "I help retail store owners and their staff grow their business and reach their goals."

Experience:

founder
    retailconsultant.biz
    July 2012 – Present (3 years 9 months)
    "helping business owners and their staff grow their business and reach their goals"

Semi-retired

Pres/CEO
    Passion Fine Jewelry
    February 2010 – June 2012 (2 years 5 months)
    A New retail jewelry concept unlike anything you've seen!

Ceo/President
    Beyond Expectations Consulting
    September 2007 – February 2010 (2 years 6 months)
    Result Driven Training and Strategies for the Retail Professional

CEO/President
    Leo Hamel Co., Fine Jewelry
    September 1992 – August 2007 (15 years)

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *
  19. failboat Member

Citing Family, Jeweler Leo Hamel Drops Out of 71st Assembly Race

POSTED BY KEN STONE ON APRIL 7, 2016
    A month after announcing his candidacy, local jeweler Leo Hamel said Thursday that he was dropping out of the race to succeed Republican Assemblyman Brian Jones in East County’s 71st District.
    Hamel, 59, didn’t mention the questions raised about his Scientology connections. He told Times of San Diego in mid-March that he joined the controversial religion as a teenager.
    In the sdrostra statement, Hamel said he entered the race “with a genuine desire to make a positive impact in Sacramento for my neighbors and fellow citizens in San Diego. … Although my desire to effect needed change in the Legislature is the same, I’m very confident we already have a great conservative candidate running for the seat who will pursue just that.”
    He said he contacted Santee Mayor Randy Voepel on Thursday to let him know he was ending his campaign “and that I’m wholeheartedly supporting him as our next assemblyman.”
    Hamel entered the race a day after Mike Harrison, another Republican, ended his own campaign.
    Voepel, with greater name recognition, is considered the favorite to win the seat of termed-out Jones, who is running for state Senate. The other remaining candidate is science-fiction author and Union Bank executive Tony Teora. The county Republican Party has made no endorsement, however.
    Teora raised the religion issue, having said he asked the TV figure “point-blank” if he was a Scientology member.
    “He was very careful about his answer,” said Teora, 52, a Julian resident. “He said that he’s a Christian and that he’s going to Christian schools, and he used Scientology’s business study program.”
    More at source - http://timesofsandiego.com/politics...hamel-drops-out-of-east-county-assembly-race/
  20. Do we have a picture of this Leo Hamel ?
  21. Quentinanon Member

Leo Hamel runs what bankers call a "jewelry pawn shop" with 5 locations in the San Diego area. A large proportion of their inventory comes from buying jewelry off the street, some of which is stolen. Jewelry pawn shops are run by predators who siphon off quite a bit of cash that never hits the ledger. "Citing family" is political speak for "I have too many skeletons in my closet". Looks like OSA is pushing its brainwashed flock to infiltrate political offices.
    Oh, and I almost forgot:
    Happy Birthday Linda Hamel. 76 years old today. Who will succeed you when you decline?
  22. Quentinanon Member

LeoPenny.jpg

Picture of Leo and his wife Penny.
  23. thank you, Poor wife
  24. Quentinanon Member

More likely a fellow scammer.