Customize

Letter to Avaaz-Stop Narconon

Discussion in 'Narconon' started by Etain, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Etain Member

Given the international scope of Narconon and it's roots in Scientology, I've decided to write a letter to the Avaaz team and ask if they would take this up as a new campaign to help get the word out and educate people on it's dangers. This includes demanding full disclosure and investigations onto their claims, independent studies of their 'treatment', etc.

I'm having trouble writing the letter. Some help would be appreciated.

'Hello, I am writing to you as a concerned citizen about a pseudo 'drug treatment' program called 'Narconon'

First, I must request my identity be concealed. I am involved in aiding to expose the group they front for (all legal means, mind you) and they are notorious for litigation.

Narconon is a self-proclaimed 'drug rehab program' that boasts of it's effectiveness and claims high percentage rates of helping people with substance abuse problems and claims to have high success rates. The numbers vary, but they claim anywhere from 70% to 85% '

That's pretty much as far as I've gotten. I can't get my thoughts strait and honestly, I don't know how to explain all this.

I will also provide links to any documentation, personal stories, etc that there are.

I'd like to get this out ASAP. I want to keep it brief, simple and provide them with all they'll need to put it together.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Anonymous Member

This is the best I can do for now.

It has been a very long day and I am very tired but there may be some notes below that you can splice into the letter you are composing.

'Hello, I am writing to you as a concerned citizen about a fraudulent 'drug treatment' program called 'Narconon'

First, I must request my identity be concealed. I am involved in aiding to expose the group they front for (all legal means, mind you) and they are notorious for litigation.

Narconon is a self-proclaimed 'drug rehab program' that boasts of it's effectiveness and claims high percentage rates of helping people with substance abuse problems. Fraudulent claims are made about very high success rates. The numbers vary, but they claim anywhere from 70% to 85%.

There is no adequate medical supervision of clients and there is a high body count in terms of fatalities on narconon premises. “Detox” takes the form of a preposterous regime of excessive vitamin and mineral intake, coupled with dangerous involvement with “treatments” in a sauna. The treatment costs are in the five figure range of $25,000.00 - $30,000.00.

Narconon presents itself as a “humanitarian” organization, however, like all front organizations operated by the cult of scientology, narconon is a Trojan Horse operation, used for recruitment into the cult of scientology.

The process works like this - there are "three stages" used to establish "moral control" over a person: "seduction," "deconstruction of personality", and "reconstruction", where a person "is given the tools to become an actual full-time proselytizer for the cult”.

I believe that narconon “treatment” centers are in dire need of investigation by the medical profession and law enforcement.

Pretty good! Thanks!

I'll have to make a few edits tomorrow, though. I'm gonna have to close up in a few. Anyone else with more to add/edits is welcome!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Part of e-doc I was working on:
    Narconon is an international drug rehabilitation. It is involved in a range of anti-drug activities, including lectures to schools, educational programs and providing residential drug rehabilitation therapy for addicts. Narconon is, however, a highly controversial organization, for a number of reasons.
    The Narconon program has from the beginning been founded on key principles developed L. Ron Hubbard, the science fiction author and founder of the Church of Scientology. Hubbard had no education or qualifications in medicine and minimal scientific education and made many false claims about his qualifications.
    In residential treatment, Narconon's staff are often former clients, some hired immediately on graduation. The hiring criteria of the staff includes completion of the Narconon Training Course (three weeks minimum) and high motivation. There is a seven-week provisional period for staff after course completion during which they work and receive additional training before they begin getting paid. According to the director of Narconon U.S. an additional requirement for Narconon staff members responsible for using an E-meter to audit student progress, is that they be a recognized minister in the Church of Scientology. This has been criticized as risky and inappropriate, and their training has been described as inadequate.
    It claims extraordinarily high success rates - anything up to 85% - a remarkable figure when one considers that conventional drug rehabilitation programmes achieve only a rate of around 20-30%. These misleading statements when evaluated are unfounded and declared simply not true.
    Narconon's clients go through four stages designed to detoxify their bodies and reform their lives and practices:
      • Drug-Free Withdrawal - completely cuts off the addict's supply of drugs, rather than wean him off - an approach similar to "cold turkey" methods. Doctors and drug addiction experts regard "cold turkey" as dangerous.
      • Therapeutic TRs Course - a series of drills performed with another person, which aim to "bring about interaction between the individual and the existing physical universe".
      • New Life Detoxification Program - an intensive program of running, massive overdoses of vitamins and very long sauna sessions, designed to "run out" drugs and radiation from the body.
      • Life Improvement Courses - a series of short courses, which aim to improve a person's ability to study, communicate and exercise moral judgments.
    By far the most contentious element of the Narconon program is the New Life Detoxification Program developed by Hubbard in 1978. Narconon's detoxification programis based on unproven (and disproved) theories. Narconon’s detoxification theory advises when a person uses drugs over a period of time, the body becomes unable to completely eliminate all traces of those substances. These traces are called “drug metabolites” and are stored in the fatty tissues. As the cells in these tissues slowly replace themselves over time, the stored drug metabolites are released into the blood stream. This reactivates the same brain centers as if the person recently took the drug. These traces trigger the cravings for the drug. They also re-trigger the “Biochemical Personality” traits that tempt a person into relapse; that the mind is made up of "mental image pictures" that get "scrambled" by the drugs in fat; that the vitamin niacin pulls drugs from fat, and saunas sweat them from the body. Narconon's detoxification program uses a combination of exercise (preferably running), lengthy periods in a sauna and massive doses of vitamins and nutritional supplements, notably niacin and oils. This is supposed to drive "stored" drugs out of body fat but there is little convincing evidence that it actually does this, or that it is even possible to do what it is supposed to do. More worryingly, there is strong evidence that all three elements are potentially or actually risky.
    · Running may not be safe for all, particularly those with weak hearts (perhaps weakened by drug abuse).
    · Sauna periods are far beyond what is recommended as safe. Ordinarily, one is strongly advised not to stay in a sauna for longer than about 15-30 minutes. Narconon's clients stay in the sauna for up to five hours at temperatures of up to 80C (170F), ten times longer than the recommended maximum. This poses major risks for health; such a lengthy period of extreme heat can easily lead to hyperthermia, heat exhaustion, salt or potassium depletion, heat stroke and breathing difficulties, which could prove highly dangerous for asthma sufferers. Indeed, Hubbard's book Clear Body Clear Mind, upon which the program is based and which the supervisors are required to study, includes a list of actions to be taken in the case of overheating, salt or potassium depletion or heat stroke.
    · Vitamin "bombs" risk poisoning their users. The State of Oklahoma's examiners reported in 1991 that "The use of high amounts of vitamins and minerals in the amounts described administered by Narconon can be potentially dangerous to the patients of Narconon according to the more credible medical evidence ..." Many of the dosages set by Hubbard far exceed the recommended maximum intakes set by the United States Institute of Medicine's Food and Nutrition Board (FNB). Typically, Hubbard's dosages have not been amended for decades, despite the advance of medical and scientific knowledge; the Scientologists are required (by Hubbard's own instructions) not to alter his doctrines, even where they conflict with proven science. The Food and Nutrition Board is responsible for setting recommended dietary allowances (RDAs) and upper limits (ULs), the maximum level of daily nutrient intake that is likely to pose no risk of adverse effects. In almost every single case, Hubbard recommends dosages well above the safe limits, in some cases as much as 142 times more than the toxic level. The side effects of such huge overdoses range from liver damage, hair loss, brain swelling and nausea up to fatal heart and respiratory failure.

PM me and I'll send you the rest of the doc if you want, to do with as you please.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Etain Member

I'd like to keep inflammatory language out of this. Just because I don't want this to come off as some overly-emotional rant. Yes, there's a LOT to be emotional and angry about, but we need to be sane and calm if we want this to go anywhere. I'll leave the emotional diatribe to them. And they are GOOD at it.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Anonymous Member

Yeah, understood. I was very tired at the time of typing that stuff. Also, suffering a bit of over-exposure to the narconon travesties of the last few days. Carry on. <3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Etain Member

Okay, does this sound good? Please edit if you see something it needs (or doesn't).

'Hello, I am writing to you as a concerned citizen about a fraudulent 'drug treatment' program called 'Narconon'

First, I must request my identity be concealed. I am involved in aiding to expose the group they front for (all legal means, mind you) and they are notorious for litigation. The group I am speaking of is Scientology, which, despite it's tax-exempt 'religious status' in the United States and Australia, behaves in a manner quite contrary to what one would expect a religion in this day and age to act.

Scientology is forever concerned with recruitment and accoutrement of wealth and prestige. it does this by 1.) 'recruiting' celebrities to be a a public face, like Tom Cruise and 2.) by presenting itself as a 'humanitarian' organization that is involved in many seemingly benevolent programs. The one I am talking about now is their rehabilitation program, Narconon.

Narconon is a self-proclaimed 'drug rehab program' that boasts of it's effectiveness and claims high percentage rates of helping people with substance abuse problems. Fraudulent claims are made about very high success rates. The numbers vary, but they claim anywhere from 70% to 85%.

The first and most important thing, is that none of the 'treatments' they subject patients to have ever been subjected to critical peer review or tested for their effectiveness. Quite the contrary; according to former patients of Narconon, their methods have the opposite effect.

There is no adequate medical supervision of clients and there is a high body count in terms of fatalities on Narconon premises. “Detox” takes the form of a regime of excessive vitamin and mineral intake, coupled with dangerous involvement with “treatments” in a sauna. The treatment costs are in the five figure range of $25,000.00 - $30,000.00.

Their vitamin 'bomb' regime is actually shown to be highly toxic to the body. One of the many drugs they ingest is Niacin, which in excessive doses, can cause liver damage.

On top of that, their methods and lack of oversight have resulted in tragic deaths. most recently, a young woman named Stacy Murphy, who got addicted to pain killers and was in the 'program' for six weeks before she died of an overdose at the Narconon Arrowhead in Oklahoma. She was not monitored, nor was she taken to a doctor or her family informed.

Narconon presents itself as a “humanitarian” organization, however, like all front organizations operated by Scientology, Narconon is a Trojan Horse operation, used for recruitment into the Scientology organization.

The process works like this - there are "three stages" used to establish "moral control" over a person: "seduction," "deconstruction of personality", and "reconstruction", where a person "is given the tools to become an actual full-time proselytizer for the cult”.

I believe that the Narconon centers are in dire need of investigation by the medical profession and law enforcement.

I have provided valid documentation for your review. Further documentation, testimonies, news reports, contacts, etc. are available if you need it.

I completely understand the enormity of this request, but as one of many, many people who has devoted significant time and energy to this endeavor, as you all have to Avaaz, I hope you will take the time to fully research this matter. Narconon is but one of Scientology''s many front groups. But it is one that needs immediate attention, as they prey on the most vulnerable of society.

Thank you for your time. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Anonymous
  8. Anonymous Member

Here's a quick proofread and edit. The bolded paragraph contains material I borrowed from Catherine Picard. It is her description of the scilon agenda. Should you feel a need to cite source, I've posted it below the main text.

First, I must request my identity be concealed. I am involved in aiding to expose the group they front for (all legal means, mind you) and they are notorious for litigation. The group I am speaking of is Scientology, which, despite it's tax-exempt 'religious status' in the United States and Australia, behaves in a manner quite contrary to what one would expect of a religion in this day and age. to act.

Scientology is forever concerned with recruitment and accoutrement of wealth and prestige. It does this by 1.) 'recruiting' celebrities to be a a public face, like Tom Cruise and 2.) by presenting itself as a 'humanitarian' organization that is involved in many seemingly benevolent programs. The one I am talking about now is their drug and alcohol rehabilitation program, Narconon.

The first and most important thing, is that none of the 'treatments' they subject patients to have ever been subjected to critical peer review or tested for their effectiveness. Quite the contrary; according to former patients of Narconon, their methods have the opposite effect.

There is no adequate medical supervision of clients and there is a high body count in terms of fatalities on Narconon premises. “Detox” takes the form of a regime of excessive vitamin and mineral intake, coupled with dangerous involvement with “treatments” in a sauna. The treatment costs are in the five figure range of $25,000.00 - $30,000.00.

Their vitamin 'bomb' regime is actually shown to be highly toxic to the body. One of the many drugs ‘vitamins' they ingest is Niacin, which in excessive doses, can cause liver damage. Alcoholics with advanced liver problems seeking treatment from narconon are extremely vulnerable.

On top of that, their methods and lack of oversight have resulted in tragic deaths. Most recently, a young woman named Stacy Murphy - who got addicted to pain killers and was in the 'program' for six weeks - died of an overdose at the Narconon Arrowhead in Oklahoma. She was not monitored, nor was she taken to a doctor or her family informed.

Narconon presents itself as a “humanitarian” organization, however, like all front organizations operated by Scientology, Narconon is a Trojan Horse operation, used for recruitment into the Scientology organization.

I believe that the Narconon centers are in dire need of investigation by the medical profession and law enforcement.

I have provided valid documentation for your review. Further documentation, testimonies, news reports, contacts, etc. are available if you need it.

I completely understand the enormity of this request, but as one of many, many people who has devoted significant time and energy to this endeavor, as you all have dedicated to Avaaz, I hope you will take the time to fully research this matter.

Narconon is but one of Scientology's many front groups. But it is one that needs immediate attention, as they prey on the most vulnerable of society and directly endanger human life.

Sincerely,

Anonymous

The only thing missing here, that I think to be important, is mention of the practice of forbidding a patient/client access to their medically prescribed drugs. Colin Henderson was forbidden access to his prescribed medications. There are numerous reports of this in David Love's Files.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Picard
  9. Etain Member

Good edits! And thanks for the addition about alcoholics and their particular vulnerability to the vitamin regime; shoulda remembered that. Moved the bolded paragraph to make more sense. I will include those links. Also, a link to David Love's files would be of help to forward. I'll be including the tipping point links and files that were sent my way.

Think this is good to send out?
  10. Anonymous Member

Again, late in the day and I worry that my better judgement is impaired by fatigue. If I could sleep on it, return to it later today/tomorrow (just past midnight where I am) with a fresh start, I think I'd be in better shape to advise and help you give a final form to the letter.

As far as it has gone, I think it is reading very well.

However, I do think the issue of addicts/alcoholics being denied their doctor prescribed medications is important. This includes cardiac meds, anti-seizure/epilepsy meds, and etc. Monstrous cult practice, IMNSHO. CCHR and all that bullshit!
  11. Etain Member

Ohhh, I'll include that about the epilepsy and anti-seizure meds!
  12. Anonymous Member

The letter should focus on the health reasons, not the mind control/front group reasons for shutting them down. What's relevant is not that Narconon is run by the Scientology corporation for profit, or that patients are recruited into the cult, but that Narconon charges a lot of money for a program that is medically dangerous.

I think it would be worthwhile to re-read the Quebec government's decision on shutting them down and focus on the reasons they give:

Narconon Trois-Rivieres is CLOSED! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Etain Member

Hmmm, good point. I'll get on that.

EDIT: Okay, here it is. I edited out the references to Scientology (they will learn the connection as they research, I'm sure)
  14. Etain Member

The process works like this - there are "three stages" used to establish "moral control" over a person: "seduction," "deconstruction of personality", and "reconstruction", where a person "is given the tools to become an actual full-time proselytizer.

Their vitamin 'bomb' regime is actually shown to be highly toxic to the body. One of the many ‘vitamins' they ingest is Niacin, which in excessive doses, can cause liver damage. Alcoholics with advanced liver problems seeking treatment from Narconon are extremely vulnerable.

Another practice they have is to deny patients their medically prescribed drugs. That includes anything from medications for depression, anti-seizure and epilepsy meds and even something as simple as aspirin for headaches and migraines. This has been shown to lead to devastating results.

On top of that, their methods and lack of oversight have resulted in tragic deaths. Most recently, a young woman named Stacy Murphy - who got addicted to pain killers and was in the 'program' for six weeks - died of an overdose at the Narconon Arrowhead in Oklahoma. She was not monitored, nor was she taken to a doctor or her family informed.

Narconon presents itself as a “humanitarian” organization, however, it's actions are, as proven with documentation, show it to act in an inhumane manner that has destroyed the lives of anyone who has come in contact with it.

I completely understand the enormity of this request, but as one of many, many people who has devoted significant time and energy to this endeavor, as you all have dedicated to Avaaz, I hope you will take the time to fully research this matter.

Narconon needs immediate attention, as they prey on the most vulnerable of society and directly endanger human life.

Sincerely,

Anonymous

------------

Much better. Focuses on Narconon and is more on point.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Anonymous Member

This is doing it right
  16. Etain Member

That's all I need! Copypasta and sending it off now! :)

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

As an addition, IF this goes through and they do the petition, we should consider asking them if they'd help with other aspects of Scientology, namely their front groups and the accusations of human trafficking and child abuse. Should I get a response, would there be people willing to take that up? Any other ideas on what we can ask for help with from Avaaz?

Also, links to Catherine Picard's involvement in exposing Narconon would be of help.
  17. Zippty1981 Member

Not sure what country your writing this in just 3 ideas
    1. A concerned adult especially the recent deaths at Narconon Arrowhead, Canadian Oklahoma, USA
    2. The city Quebec, Canada, shutting down the Trois Rivieres treatment facility, Narconon being shut down by the Canadian Ministry of Health
    3. In the USA a government agency SAMSHA (Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration is being used by unknowing parents. Using their "Treatment Facility Locator" if a Narconon facility is nearby, unwary parents not knowing of Scientology being used in their questionable programs teenagers are sent to possibly dangerous, even deadly facilities. Their parents only wishing for the best treatment of their child are more than eager to pay the $29,000USD cost. Thinking they are getting quality care the parents only want the best for their child. However they are not aware of Narconon being a front company for the COS, under the guise of ABLE, as well as Narconon being a recruitment school for future Scio's.

Note; Generally you are a concerned citizen worried, fearful, scared after hearing about all the deaths. Very concerned of uninformed parents, unknowing (teenagers) Clients. Using High-Doses of Niacin, with kids who's livers may already be damaged. Stories of Narconon WITHHOLDING Doctor Prescribed Medications.

Just a couple of ideas or just disregard, you already have a good proof reader. Please Verify for yourself it's all here on the site
    Arrowhead
    https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/narconon-arrowhead-under-fire.103359/
    https://whyweprotest.net/community/posts/2149398/
    Canada
    https://whyweprotest.net/community/posts/2149153/

If I put my nose in the wrong place I apologize ahead of time, just trying to do what I think might help
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JohnnyRUClear Member

There are plenty of errata still in that letter, but that doesn't matter if it's already sent. If you didn't actually send it, let me know and I'll comb through it.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Etain Member

I already sent it off. Hopefully, should they reply soon, I'll be sending further data.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. anon walker Moderator

I noticed SAMHSA has a facebook page...
  21. Anonymous Member

Yes a Concerned caring citizen might comment to the SAMHSA page just keep it clean possibly bring up all the recent deaths NN Arrowhead OK, Canada. Concern, Fear for parents and their children (all very true concerns). Remember in the USA that SAMSHA is just a Listing Agency (US GOV) it is the individual states that certify NN. I have called SAMSHA and local agencies they were not aware of NN's recent deaths nor were they aware of the issues in Canada (Ministry of Health) or the closing down of Trois-Rivières (three rivers). They all appreciate my concerns and they all took notes for further review
    • Like Like x 2