Customize

Libya

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by mojo, Feb 12, 2011.

1. DeathHamster Member

Restricted? LOL! You could make your own by taking a bicycle flasher and replacing the LEDs with high output IR LEDs. (And knowing the lag-time for military hardware, you could probably buy better LEDs now than the Phoenix uses.) Note: Check the spec sheets to see if the driving current needs adjusting.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. anonsoldier Member

Yes, congrats on being able to replicate 1980s technology with a little ingenuity and some engineering. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And when i say restricted, I'm referring to the fact that if you lack the proper licenses to bring it across international boundaries you can be prosecuted for arms trafficking. Have fun with that.

Hence why it's so much easier to write to Congressional reps and have them set it all up and foot the bill.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lulzgasm Member

It's worth a try. The odds of Congress actually listening increases when large numbers of people send letters about the same thing. It's how the folks at Campaign for liberty and downsize DC managed to get them to start looking into bringing more accountability to the Federal Reserve (it only took, like, three freakin' years to get their attention).

But it likely won't take as long with something like you're suggesting. there's quite a few people up on the hill who'd love to suggest a solution Libya's success that the other side yet hasn't. Each for his own different reason, of course.
  4. Anonymous Member

Women do not lie? Sounds like an even more blanket statement and hasty generalization than your claim that males claim that women lie all the time about rape. I highly doubt that women DO NOT EVER lie, even about rape.
  5. lulzgasm Member

Some women do lie about being raped, but they tend to be the exception, not the general rule.
  6. Anonymous Member

Yup. However, RockyJ did not say "few women lie". She said, and I quote:

You see my point here? Probably not, but it's worth a shot I guess.
  7. lulzgasm Member

I see you're point. I was just clarifying it. :p
  8. Anonymous Member

Oh. I didn't expect, uh, agreement. Uhh... thanks?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lulzgasm Member

No problemo capadre. ;)
  10. Rockyj Member

I met to say the "majority/most of women do not lie about rape". Sorry about the error.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. anonymous612 Member

Dox or gtfo.

Not that I disagree. But you should know better than to say something like that without backing it up.
  12. annoncangirl Member

Obviously as a woman who works with rape victims and street youth I'm a bit bias...but here some dox that doesn't seem to prove either way!! That being said hard to pinpoint any real numbers since most woman never even report any sort of abuse whether it's sexual, phsyical or emotional

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#False_reporting
  13. Anonymous Member

Some up dates.
    CNN did an interview with ms albaidi
    http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/
    Five rebals where killed in brega by a nato airstrike,they were driving a captured tank.
    A british sponsored ship carrying humanitarian aid has reached misrata.
  14. Anonymous Member

Going from the article, I find two percentages that matter. 41% and 5.9%. Neither of these are the "majority". However, they are both significant. Consider that even with the low number, more than 1 in 20 women who report rape are lying about it. May not seem high, but that's much higher when you consider that in 2009, the US reported 89,000 reports of rape. Going with that, over 5000 of the women reporting lied about it. Not quite over 9000, but a rather high number wouldn't you say?
  15. Herro Member

Footage from a coalition close air support craft:

16. Clever Name Member

Libyan rebels in Misrata, title credit pretty much says it all (not a joke btw):

17. Anonymous Member

Back on topic, may I humbly suggest:

Thermite:
    High temperature anti-equipment weapon made with low tech readily available supplies.
    200 grams on the hood of a tank makes it into 10 tonnes of scrap metal. A good throwing arm can deliever that amount over 100 meters distance.

3 parts powered or shredded aluminum. Tin cans, foil, it’s all good.
    8 parts powered rust (iron oxide: the black is better than the red) finely powered sand (silicon dioxide) can be used too.

Problems:
    Fuse: propane torch is usually not hot enough to ignite it. yYou need high tempratures to suck the oxygen from the iron oxide and into the aluminum. The magnesium strips used for igniting thermite while welding are not as available as other ingredients.

With this a man can destroy a tank from 100 meters. The cost to destroy a tank is one brave soul and less than 1 Euro is supplies. Or, a nice long range weapons delevery system and the same Euro.

Wikipedia has lots more information.
    Google is your friend.

Knowledge is power my glorious sand monkey brothers.
  18. Anonymous Member

^osa^
  19. Anonymous Member

Seeing this thread got bumped I might as well do an update.
    Libyan contact group met yesterday still some divisions between hawks and the doves.
    Britain is sending 1000 body armour kits to the rebals.
    The contact group may also use use kadaffis frozen assets to fund the rebals war effort.
    There are calls for more euro countries to send planes for the nfz,they want to break the stalemate.
    20 children have died in Misrata this month alone.
    On Tuesday an ITN journalist got info the rebals part of misrata.
    He was doing interviews at a hospital when a mortor round landed in the hospital garden where children were playing.
    I don't have the heart to post the video.
  20. Anonymous Member

Do the Libyans have much military night vision equipment that still works? (I assume that Soviet parts have been hard to get.) Or did Kdaffy pick up any modern stuff recently from the West? If his forces do have it, then these strobes will make nice targets.

Otherwise the only force that's going to see these markers are the NATO planes. At night. Do their current orders allow night strikes considering the concern over civilian/friendly casualties?

Perhaps crates of Krylon hi-viz spray-paint might be better suited for identifying rebel vehicles in daylight? (And useful for people without IR grear.)

Not being a Debbie Downer, just trying to provide an analyst solution here.
  21. Anonymous Member

There seems to be better coordination at the moment between rebal forward elements and nato aircraft.
    I amazed there was so little friendly fire to be honest.
    It could have been a lot. worse.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. DeathHamster Member

Consider how much mistaken fire there is between rebels and Kdaffy units when all the damned vehicles look exactly alike.

Gang tag those tanks, APCs and trucks!
  23. lulzgasm Member

But then they couldn't sneak the vehicles into Kadaffi's ranks and do surprise attacks....
  24. DeathHamster Member

Does that happen? The reverse seems more likely.

Hmm. What happens when occasional Kadaffi force vehicles get spray-tagged as rebel? Do they get shot by their own side, take downtime cleaning it off or spraying it over, try to do lone (suicide) sneak attacks on the rebels, or just say "Fcuk it, I guess we just joined the rebels!"
    • Like Like x 2
  25. lulzgasm Member

The second friendly fire incident, according to AP, occured while the rebels had embedded themselves within Kadaffi's units and were planning a surprise attack. NATO wasn't aware of the planned surprise attack and hit the whole unit, embedded rebels included.
  26. lulzgasm Member

Because it's just too cool not to share:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Loki's spawn Member

So, with the whole friendly fire issue. Do the rebels and NATO communicate at all? Because it would sure be useful if they could get some operatives on the ground there to coordinate attacks and stuff.
  28. lulzgasm Member

They're communicating now (at least with France). and it looks like italy will be sending some people in to train them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110420/ap_on_re_eu/libya_diplomacy
  29. Loki's spawn Member

30. Dragononymous Member

What?
    Rebels?
    Where?
    saeedtshirt3.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Anonymous Member

Italy reported yesterday that 10.000 people have been killed and 55.000 wounded.
    The interim council gave them the numbers and it could be them playing politics.
    The u.k have sent 10 high ranking army officers to help the rebels organise,although the m.o.d said they were not there to train the rebels
    Still heavy fighting in misrata,and by some miracle are still holding out.
    The un have been giving access and are evacuating the wounded to bengasi.
    • Like Like x 1
  32. mojo Member

33. Anonymous Member

The rebel council in bengasi have offered kaddafi a deal.
    Go into retirement or the war continues,kaddafi has not responded
  34. none given Member

Gaddafi does not need to leave, Gadaffi needs to die.
    The people of Libya deserve no less.
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Demented LRH Member

What about Syria? The situation there is as bad as in Libya, if not worse.
  36. Anonymous Member

37. whosit Member