Customize

Live CD for Iran Proxies?

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Unregistered, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Since TPB has thrown its support behind Iran, maybe someone here can help me with a project I've been trying to get done for several days; I'd like to make a linux-based Live CD that automatically sets up a Proxy that can be used to support communications in situations like this one.

I imagine something based on Damn Small Linux with Squid would be perfect, I just don't have the faintest idea how to get it made. The goal would be to create an ISO for a live CD that a non-technical person could simply place into a computer with an internet connection, boot from Disc, and it would produce a few lines of feedback, including the Proxy IP address and some instructions on how (and how not) to distribute it. No graphical interface needed, no filesystems mounted (except the CD, obviously) really nothing but the bare minimum needed to get a proxy up and running, and give the user some limited (like, 2-3 paragraphs at most) instructions about what to do next.

Obviously there's a lot of different ways you could go, but I think you'd want to include some kind of ability to dynamically change the IP block Squid "trusts" (like now, it would only be Iranian IPs, but maybe down the road it's some other country) with a list maintained on a website somewhere, as well as instructions on what to do with the proxy once you've got the address (since someone who's safe to send proxy IPs to today might be compromised tomorrow.) I think you could manage all that through simple http requests, if someone were willing to host and update the information.

I've put this idea out there in several forums, but I simply don't have the skill to execute it. Please, someone take the ball and run with it here. If we distributed this thing via BT, it could be all over the world in hours, providing virtually unlimited proxies to anyone who needed them, without requiring any real technical knowledge or security risk on the part of the user.

Just pop in a CD while you're at work, and go. Think about it, please. Most people want to help, but aren't willing to put forth that much effort. This could be a free, easy way to get millions more involved, and developing it could eventually help people all over the world.

Can anyone help?