Customize

LRH discovers gold in his own back yard, 1933

Discussion in 'Media' started by Jeff Jacobsen, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Jeff Jacobsen Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. Anonymous Member

Can't hate on that. In fact, I wish he had spent more time doing the back breaking work that is gold mining/panning/dredging instead of his other "endeavors."
  3. Anonymous Member

Is Stewart Dowrick one of Tubbys pen names? It reads like LRH promo.
  4. Strixcoil Moderator

What in the name of Glaux...?
  5. Knowing Hubbard, it makes me wonder if parts of this have been embellished at all. I'm not saying the whole thing is B.S., but it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to add a little "flavor" to the story. Like this part:

Something about the I-know-better, self-celebratory tone of that -- "Hahaha, they should have listened to me" -- smacks like the L.Ron we all came to know too well, the L.Ron who was both arrogant and loved to stretch the truth. But again, that is just 100% speculation.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Tangent here, the article mentions Hubbard getting married. Owing to the print date, it's obviously a reference to Hubbard's first wife, Margaret "Polly" Grubb. Does the Church of Scientology ever mention her anywhere in their literature? How about in the new Hubbard biography sets, or anywhere else? Do Scientologists even know she existed? Or did she just get scrubbed out of his history, a non-person a la 1984?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. adhocrat Member

This is Acres of Diamonds rewritten for gold
  8. Anonymous Member

Wow, where did you find this?
  9. RightOn Member

"Hubbard hired a colored farm hand knicknamed "Monk" to operate the small sluice errected by a near by creek. However it seems Monk also thinks the prospector is " a little off" and says he prefers digging fence posts"

what's a matter you hat?
    And Monk was right!
    And I call bullshit on Hubbard's finds. Platinum? lol
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jeff Jacobsen Member

I think it was from the LMT library.
  11. Anonymous Member

It's really too bad that UFOs weren't invented until 1947. Hubbard could have found himself a niche, with a hamburger shack, published a few books, retired in respectable kookery...
  12. Jeff Jacobsen Member

In Hubbard's library at the DC org he had UFO books! 2 or 3. I don't know if they still display that book shelf or not.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. One of traditional uses of magic was to find hidden treasure- supposedly what ol' Joe Smith was doing when he 'found' the alleged golden tablets upon which he scryed HIS religion. And of course who can forget those classic schemes where something of great value is planted to make it look like much more exists at the location (at least to the suckers).

The bountiful ore harvests from this area in the present time obviously show that Hubbard discovered a major vein (ahem).

And I'd probably rather dig fence post holes than work for him as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RightOn Member

whats a matta you fence post?
    • Like Like x 3
  15. This is also pretty good documentation that he has always been a sociopath/con artist.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DeathHamster Member

With 17 years more practice, Hubbard was able to dig Dianetics out of his ass.
    • Like Like x 5
  17. "Gold" is an allegory for suckers that will pay him lots of money.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

In case anyone else also has a difficult time reading the very bad copy in the OP.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Jeff Jacobsen Member

thanks!

I wonder if Scientology put this in that new book set about LRH?
    • Like Like x 2
  20. anon walker Moderator

You'll have to buy the set to find out!
    • Like Like x 1
  21. DeathHamster Member

Or check with the local library to see when they're tossing out the donated sets.
  22. I would like to know who purchased that land after Hubbard and if the purchaser was aware of the discovery and if he paid extra for that land because of it.
  23. Anonymous Member

The former Grubb farmland is located due East of the main 109/28 crossroads of Beallsville Maryland, and was many years later deeded to the local fire department by Polly's father.

Looking on google earth, it's SouthEast of the present fire station and the ballfield, and the creek is about where the treeline meets the cleared area.

On the ground, you can still see rose quartz on the ground. By statute any gold or other minerals you may find are subject to a 20% royalty to the heirs of the former Lord Baltimore.
  24. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Why no mining?
  25. Probably because it costs more to mine the gold than it is worth.
  26. Good transcript, thank you, but dang If I hadn't already transcribed it. Wasted effort I supose.

• Like Like x 2
  27. LOL!