Customize

[Mar 12, 2011] Anonymous vs Scientology Rally (Chicago, IL,)

Discussion in 'Planning' started by Strong Strength, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Chicago's monthly Scientology protest for March 2011:
    Happy birthday, L. Ron Hubbard!

4354792467_e7d0bc9496_z.jpg

Date: Saturday, March 12th, 2011
    Location: Millennium Park, at the intersection of Michigan Ave. and Madison St.
    Time: Roughly 11:30 'til 3 p.m. or so is when it sounds like people will be there. Of course, you're free to show up and leave when you wish.

Bring: Comfortable footwear, weather-appropriate clothes, and a disguise or mask if you roll that way. Usually we have plenty of signs, fliers, and yummies to go around, or you can feel free to bring your own.

Do: Hold signs, hand out fliers, shoot the breeze, dance, eat cake, be awesome.

Don't: Use amplified sound (bullhorn or megaphone), clog up walkways, obscure park architecture (e.g. by leaning signs against stuff), go protest at a different spot than our Michigan + Madison location, drink alcohol, damage other people's stuff if you borrow something (e.g. a sign).

Please use this thread for anything related to the event: planning, questions, shooting the breeze, whatever. Have fun!
  2. I think people are going to be looking into the latest events in the legal situation about protesting at the org, so it might be a while before all of that stuff shakes out and we really know what's going on there. Personally, I'd like to be in front of their building, but barring that, I guess I'd prefer being at the intersection's corner near there as my Plan B. But we'll have to see what's even possible, I guess.

In the meantime, did we have preference about the starting time? I liked starting at 1 p.m. again, but let me know what you guys are thinking.
  3. Paladin Member

I will be out-of-town that weekend. Good luck to the rest of you! See you all in April!
  4. beef Member

I'm in Chicago for work. Any flash raids happening Feb 17 -Feb 26?
    email me
  5. Darth Xander Member

I will be celebrating LRH's b-day in style down at Flag the weekend of the 12th. Have fun everyone, and see you in April. If there are any legal developments regarding enforcement of the code in the interim, I'll let you know.
  6. Not sure if anyone noticed, but there is a duplicate event for this date which got messed up. Sorry about that. Anyway, onwaaard here...

I'm very interested to see what happens on the legal front with being at the org. In the meantime, the 12th falls on the day of the Chicago St. Patrick's Day Parade, held right near Millennium Park. History has shown that even if the weather is crappy, there will still be a huge turnout. I've never seen as many people at the park as on that day.

Just throwing it out there. Of course, I'm perfectly happy to go to the org too (or near it, at least). Whatever.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. peacebone Member

Millennium Park would appear to be the prime spot for the date, will wear mittens.
  8. Pareo Member

BIRFDAY CUPCAKES FOR ALL.
  9. Alright. Uh, if anyone's coming who thinks we should be going somewhere else this month, I suggest you start arguing loud and soon. Cuz in the absence of that, people are gonna start finalizing shit with Millennium Park security so they know to expect us.

If it does end up being at Millennium, I'll probably try to be out there by 11:30. Because there's always a massive zerg rush of people on their way to the noontime parade, and the amount of foot traffic is nuts. C'mon guys, join me at 11:30, don't leave me hangin'!

Sign me up. I'll take one or more of those home with me. Along with some of Dra's cookies.

20r6108.jpg
  10. Dra Member

Oooh caek! YUM! & I should be able to be there by 11:30 :D
  11. Pareo Member

11:30? Making me get up THAT early? Fine, I can deal. :3 ALSO I EXPECT EVERYONE TO SING HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME.

Loljk I have no friends. :c
  12. Dra Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Usually a good chunk of us turn up around 1 or so. I was almost afraid to mention the 11:30 idea for fear that someone new would show up and go "OMG THERE'S NOBODY HERE!!1" Not that I care or anything, but if you join us that early, be aware that there may only be a handful of us for a while. Heck, there might only be a handful of us all day, period. But we'll have the company of zillions of people walking by.

You'll fit right in then. 2ymukab.gif

Also,

14. dogcmp6 Member

I will try to be there, how ever I may have to work (also I vote for mil)
  15. this will be my first time going to a protest for Anonymous. Can't wiat
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Th3ox Member

Same with me, hopefully i will be able to get myself organized though. Im going in there blind but what other way to do it :D
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Sponge Member

Passing this on...

You guys may have a visitor. A new poster on OCMB. Ex-scientologist from your area.
    http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?p=393066#p393066

18. ExSOchicago Member

I think we should try to find out where they're going to be giving out the stress tests and follow them there. Does anyone know where they might go that day? And also, does everyone just meet down there or do you guys get together before hand to go over a game plan?
  19. 3rdMan Member

Last raid we (and by we I mean the one including myself) had down at Millennium on St. Pattie's Day was a blast. Holy crap the walking booze-ups were everywhere and treating us like rock stars down there. The outreach would be high, though the trolling of Scientology not so much if you all go.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Th3ox Member

Where do we park??
    lol
  21. haha yeah. I just got my mask today. and I'm bringing a couple of my friends with me too. Should be fun :D
  22. Th3ox Member

same here lol, make sure they got some sorta mask
  23. Dra Member

Awesome! I am hoping the drunks will be very entertaining... amateurs usually are :) I am glad to see more new peeps will be joining us! It's a fun time at Millenium!
  24. Edited first post with updated info about the event and included some guidelines for first-timers.

Pics from previous years of being there on St. Patrick's Day weekend (to build the hype!):

3358548599_129b8d2a38_z.jpg

3359367052_9c7779b477_z.jpg

3358548891_c1196753ac_z.jpg

3362331890_06e811f8ff_z.jpg

3369659299_057342865c_z.jpg

4437761334_515d55bc16_z.jpg

4436985261_64ea894b90_z.jpg

4437762218_8fb082ca76_z.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Anonymous Member

Maybe someone else could provide driving advice. I'm not sure if it's an option for you (and nor do I want to know), but public transportation is HIGHLY recommended. Parking garages in the Loop will charge you an arm and a leg on weekends, and the roads are going to be a mess because of all the traffic for the parade. So I suggest taking a bus, the el, or train into the Loop if at all possible.

Even for those who aren't driving, expect and plan for transportation delays because of all the crowds.

I'm not sure, but in Chicago, I don't think they're out there regularly trolling for raw meat as they do in, say, L.A. Here, I believe they've tended to do the stress test thing only at certain events, like a few fairs and the occasional Volunteer Minister event. But I could be wrong, and anyone who knows more than I do is welcome to share it.

You pretty much just show up at the spot and say hi. This thread is about as close to a game plan as we get.
  26. Shalashaska Member

If it starts at 11:30 AM I will probably be late, but im definitely going!
    • Like Like x 1
  27. No problem. Again, 11:30 is just the earlybird start, and usually it's closer to 1 before we're hitting full speed.

Random-ass funny (& sad) stories I saw on another board and thought I'd share here for the hell of it:

28. Pareo Member

You're getting a hug from me on Saturday. Jussayin'.
  29. wish i could go
  30. Th3ox Member

K, so i made some handouts. im using the quotation from Operation Paperstorm 2.
    I'm going to bring however much i can, depending on how much paper i can get, they are quarter sheet sizes
  31. Anonymous Member

Just curious: why bring Operation Paperstorm fliers to a Scientology protest? Not that I'd mind having you along, but did the Freedom of Information demonstrations in Chicago fizzle out already, or what?

Just wondering. Slice of cake regardless for my anon brotha.
  32. Anonymous Member

Okays and why not, I says.
  33. Th3ox Member

Oh sry, I was think Operation Paperstorm when i wrote this, so it went on the screen. haha
    I am however bringing fliers

On second thought, it might be good publicity, double task kinda.
    Protest = publicity
    sooo Protest + O.P. Fliers = More publicity

now im confusing myself, what should i do
  34. In my opinion, whatever you want. If you wanna hand out Freedom of Information stuff there, it won't bother me any. I personally welcome anyone to come along. (Well, short of some nutty "9/11 was an inside job" agenda or something - that might be grounds for some good-natured ribbing!)
  35. 3rdMan Member

No need to get knit picky. But yeah, freedom of information, support of the Green Movement in Iran, against the lies and abuses of the Church of Scientology leadership and policies, pick and choose or whatever.
  36. Remember when there was that big 9/11 Truther demonstration at Millennium Park that one month, like a block away from us? December '08 or something. There were like 50+ people.
    We really should've taken more advantage of that to get our troll on. jzwunm.gif
  37. 3rdMan Member

Just distribute Scientology's accusations that psychiatrists caused 9/11 and watch their heads explode.
  38. anonymous612 Member

ITT: Clearwater's in ur base, stealin ur d00ds.
  39. Paladin Member

Yes, Xander and I are excited about protesting at Flag this weekend. Warmer weather and no stinkin 150' protest buffer zone to deal with at the Scientology buildings. But we will return to Chicago protesting in April. So the "stealin" is only temporary:)
  40. Dra Member

Hope you guys have fun in Clearwater soakin' up the sun and being right in their faces! :D
    /me is jealous!