Customize

Mark Bunker - Scammer or salt of the earth good guy?

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by TerapinEd, Nov 1, 2014.

1. TerapinEd Member

Due to me starting this thread, some may think I am OSA.
    Hardly.
    Just a local resident near Flag.
    Scientology knows me, local protesters know me.
    I am not anonymous. I am a known entity. The local police know me and how I view scientology.
    I am anti-scientology of course.

Getting that out of the way. A lot of scams out there in the world.
    No doubt scientology is one of the biggest scams.
    Scams come in all sizes, and dressed up in various disguises.
    I really wonder about this Mark Bunker guy.
    I found it disturbing that he showed up at flagdown when specifically told he was not invited.
    That just confirms the guy is all about himself. He cries to Tony Ortega about the situation.

The Film or documentary?
    He's scamming the whole anti-scientology movement so he does not have to work.
    Too me its just so obvious.
    Scams start from good causes and intentions but the scam develops when the end result is unattainable so the money continues to pour in.
    If he finishes the documentary, the money stops.
    There is absolutely no incentive to finish.
    What starts out good becomes a scam.
    Mark Bunker is a scammer.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  2. Jeff Jacobsen Member

So how long should it take for one person to come out with a good documentary? How much should it cost? You're the expert here, obviously.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Anonymous Member

While my personal feeling is Mark Bunker is a self serving twat.

Having said that I do not believe for one minute he lives off of the donations to his movie. In another thread the number $100,000 in donations since 1999 was given. While he may not be spending all of the donations on his movie he is not living on the $6,600 per annum the numbers indicate.

When it comes to money that is not exactly "pouring in". I would not give him money but your viewpoint seems a bit overblown.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. RavenEyes Member

He's been raising money and making this movie for 15 years?

lol
    • Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. ravenanon Member

Somewhere mark bragged he could of made a better scientology movie than Minton did and gave an amount. Anyone else remember this or know where to snag the video with the brag in it?

The clips of the marks movie I've seen so far are anti scientology but almost seem to praise fz. I'm not sure why fz is even worth mentioning.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Anonymous Member

Ed, I couldn't agree with you more and have stated as much on this forum. Bunker is self serving. He lost sight of his goal long ago. The project isn't about the cult anymore, it is about him and his ego. Need proof? Check out what he did at Flagdown.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  7. TerapinEd Member

By the way, I started this thread because I have seen various Mark Bunker comments pro and con buried in various threads.
    What I did not see is a thread devoted to this so that's why I started it.
    In some ways Mark Bunker is no different then other personalities involved in other us vs them situations.
    Everybody are shades of gray
    In us vs them situations, its important to know that un-perfect humans are on both sides.
    In these us vs them situations, people change. Some see opportunity and it becomes a "me" situation.

I was just curious on how others view Bunker and to get the discussion out in the open instead of buried in other threads.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. amaX Member

^This.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  9. anon8109 Member

This is not the first time WBM has been attacked on WWP for asking for money and it won't be the last.

How much does it cost to make a high quality documentary?

Here's some info from a blogger on the PBS website http://www.pbs.org/pov/blog/2011/08/how_much_does_it_really_take_to_make_documentary/

Longtime documentary filmmaker Kevin Knoblock has a set of tips in Script, the online magazine of Final Draft, and says this about funding:
    Yes, you can make a documentary for $20,000, but unless it’s a labor of love, I would strongly recommend a realistic feature-length budget where you and your co-workers get paid industry standard rates. Most of my feature documentaries range from $300,000 on the low end to slightly over a million dollars.

A professional film costs between $300 000 and $1 million, so it seems like $100 000 is a very reasonable sum.

How long does it take to make a high quality documentary?

I couldn't find an answer, but considering that WBM is doing this part time while he works at a job to make a living, I suppose it takes years.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. TerapinEd Member

"How long does it take to make a high quality documentary?"

20 years ago, it was a pretty involved process with the state of the technology back then.
    How old are you? Keeping up with technology? Its zooming baby.
    With todays technology at everybody's fingertips.
    Quality documentary's are a dime a dozen.
    Check out you tube.
    Young tech savvy kids are posting all kinds of impressive stuff, all done quickly and on the cheap due to high quality software at their fingertips.
    This is 2014 baby, get with the times.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  11. TerapinEd Member

Another thought just to pile on.
    I'm thinking he's not up to speed tech wise and is avoiding releasing due to embarrassment.
    Maybe what he has put together is akin to Battlefield Earth.
    He knows the critics will be brutal.
    He's afraid of the reaction that people will be incredulous that 15 years was spent on mediocrity.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  12. ravenanon Member

If the person I think is shooting the movie is well no he isn't great with tech. He owns his own company and does commercials, tv shows, etc. However he would fail often at some tech basics. He also could get hung up on artistic expression and take forever to do basic stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. anon8109 Member

What kids are posting on youtube, however impressive, is not the kind of professional quality that people pay money to see in a movie theater.

We're talking about a full-length professional film.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. The other thing that may be going on is that this is a story that is never "done."

If one was doing a documentary about a historical event with a definite ending -- e.g., World War II, Woodstock, the Nixon administration -- it is easier to say it is done;.

The problem with a Scientology documentary is that there are always new events, new stories. Mark can always keep on shooting new, raw footage, and then have to edit same, fit it into a (new) narrative, etc.

Think of events of recent days. Scientology in South Africa blows up. One can interview those involved, or interview people about it. The process of doing a documentary about a living, on-going religion or cult can be never-ending.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Anonymous Member

Gumby is helping him. Ain't he tech savvy? Shouldn't take the Gumby/Mark duo very long to finish that puppy up.

I just laughed so hard I made myself puke.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Anonymous Member

Thats what WBM is counting on. He couldn't do a "WBM the Movie! Oh yeah Scientology Part 1? Dude. Wake up. WBM knows there is no market for his shit other than the people already donating to it. He is going to have to hold onto it until Miscavige goes all Jonestown or no one will ever give a shit about his long winded self aggrandizing bunch of nothing.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  17. RolandRB Member

The Church of All-Ideal Idealness will be dead and gone by the time he finishes his documentary. Look out for the showdown between Dinky Davey's Navy and the LA Scn public when they use heavy ethics on the LA Scn public to get them moving round the Bridge to Total TRs and Objectives again. Then it ends. It will be time to call it a day and just shut all that shit down because it will be abundantly Clear that the scam is going bust rapidly.
    • Like Like x 5
  18. TrevAnon Member

IIRC Bunker at Flagdown said he expected to finish the film within a year from then. So I would think it will be ready first half of 2015. Not sure though.
  19. I am sure this post makes perfect sense to you.:p
  20. BigBeard Member

This is a very simple either/or situation to deal with.

Either: Donate money to WBM's project if you're so inclined.

Or: Do not donate money to WBM's project if you don't feel you should.

The rest of the discussion regarding it is a bunch of speculation and waste of bandwidth.

Can we get back to fighting $cientology now?

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 15
  21. I have never seen or heard anything directly from Bunker that has "a job to make a living". Have you?

This is certainly pertinent to know. If he has a job, then you at least have grounds for your assumption. If however, he doesn't, then the suspicions that he is simply living off the donations become the more real scenario.
    Sorry, disagree with you on this. If WBM has is in fact getting donations for his anti-scientology movie and instead just using them to live off while not working, then it is definitely pertinent to the discussion. It would mean that hard earned money from Anons, OG, Indies, etc., is keeping Bunker warm and fat instead of it being used to take out the cult.

If Bunker wants to raise money to live off of, then he should just do a indiegogo stating that. If there is anyone who wants to support him on that, cool. But if he is using it to live off of instead of using it for the movie, he is just taking advantage of those in the movement. And anyone who has been around in Chanology knows that this has happened way too many times in the past.

IMO, the only way this will not be a distraction to fighting scientology is if we have the truth instead of ignoning it. The person who can settle all these questions is Bunker himself. If he is being sincere, he should have answered these questions already. The fact that he hasn't is a big reason why these questions are continuing.

Up to now, I find it very interesting that Bunker is staying very silent through all this. It's sort of like Davey staying silent through all the beating accusations.

So come on Bunker, let's hear from you. Because if you stay quiet about what's been your job that is paying for your living expenses instead of these donations, when is the movie completing, etc., then that could be interpreted as unwillingness to admit that you have a scam ongoing. If you're legit, then I look forward to you documenting and confirming that the donations are being well spent. But if you do have a scam running, then fuck you and GTFO.

Just my two cents on the matter.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  22. RolandRB Member

It might be better if everybody helped them and encouraged them to do what they are doing to Scientology.
  23. incog712 Member

I hear that he gets paid by "evil psychs". Doesn't everyone?
    • Like Like x 3
  24. Anonymous Member

He's always depended on tha kindness of othas.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. moxie Member

Someone commented above ^^^^ that the film will be preaching to the (de?) converted. What are the plans for distribution after it is finished?

If it can reach a wide audience, it might be an effective film. If not, it is a colossal waste of resources.
    • Like Like x 5
  26. anon8109 Member

Who's to say it won't win awards at film festivals then be distributed around the country at art house theaters?
    People are interested in the subject, so the potential exists.

It could get picked up by netflix and find an audience there too.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Random guy Member

If that is the case, then he's laughing all the way to the bank. Well, not very loudly, because he hasn't pulled in that much, and also because laughing at people you screwed up isn't very smart in the long run. Docu-maker like Bunker has a rather small audience. If he has decided to piss in his personal little pond he'll be drinking that same piss soon enough, don't worry.

... or he may just be slow, or the current scene moving to fast for him to feel he can finish up. You decide what is the most likely scenario and donate (or not) accordingly.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  28. CIC why are you defending him? You have no fucking idea what he is doing with the money or why he is not done yet with the damned film. so STFU and stop ASSuming. You starting to sound more and more like a Indie Kool-Drinker.
    wtfisgoingon!
    This message by wtfisgoingon! has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  29. Random guy Member

And you do?
    • Like Like x 2
  30. God, I'm so tired of people predicting the demise of the cult.

It's a fucking multi-billion dollar corporate institution with fucking tax exemption that's posing as a fucking religion.

It will outlive you.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  31. I think part of the problem is that Mark Bunker interviewed a bunch of people who have changed their minds. They were Independent Scientologists when he interviewed them, and now there are not any kind of Scientologist.

What he needs to do is explain that, when a person leaves corporate Scientology, it's not uncommon for a person to go through a phase: when he's out of the organization but still believes in Scientology.

During that phase the person doesn't know it's merely a phase.

So just explain that, and also stop calling a cult which is a business, a "Church." Call it a "so called Church," or the Organization, or Corporate Scientology, or Scientology Incorporated, but don't promote Hubbard's and Miscavige's religion angle.

I think Mark Bunker is reviewing these things.

Be patient.
  32. Anonymous Member

I see you're drinking the Bunker koolaid too. It sounds to me like a Bunker Golden Age of Tech redo. "I've found that the original films were flawed. Not enough commas and too much Indie. I'll need you to spend more money so that I can fix these errors." Bunker has become as bad as Davey.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Not at all.

Uh huh.

I appreciate Mark Bunker's work, spanning a decade and a half.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as, I think, are most people.

What your agenda is I have no idea.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  34. Anonymous Member

I don't have a Gofundme if thats what you mean.

A decade and a half and all he has to show for it is an injunction. Time well spent.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  35. TerapinEd Member

I give nobody the benefit of the doubt.
    Especially in the age of the internet when said person could erase doubt if that person chooses to do so.
    This is a subject where there should be no doubt but due to lack of information, we should give the benefit of doubt?

Sometimes I choose to take unpopular views because I choose not to be a cheerleader for the critic movement in general. I support the critic movement but will also speak up about how I see some aspects of the critic movement.

I have no agenda.
    This is the internet, we are here to discuss all aspects of scientology.
    I just thought this topic deserves its own thread rather then buried in other threads.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  36. He has a bit more to show for it than that. He does have a YouTube channel with a fairly large number of useful videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/XENUTV/videos
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Anonymous Member

Well then, that changes everything! A youtube channel with useful videos! Please, half the 15 year olds on the planet have youtube videos with
    what some people could call useful information. Bunker has a fan base he plays well to, other than that only TonyO really uses his videos.
    Two guys without jobs who self promote while promoting each other. Kind of like dividing by zero.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  38. whoever Member

Tony Ortega has a job.
    • Like Like x 3
  39. Anonymous Member

You are right, I forgot the Raw Story thing. I stand corrected.
    • Like Like x 2