Customize

Marty talks about Battlefield Earth

Discussion in 'Independent Scientology' started by an0nim0uz, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Re: Marty talks about Battlefield Earth

Writer J.D. Shapiro, who wrote the movie 'Battlefield Earth,' apologizes to viewers and explains how the bomb came to be - NYPOST.com

During my Scientology research, I met an employee who I instantly had a crush on. She was kind of a priestess, and had dedicated her life to working for the church by becoming a Sea Org member. She said that she signed a billion-year contract. I said, "What! Really?" She said she got paid a small stipend of $50 a week, to which I said, "Can you get an advance on the billion years, like say, a mere $500,000?" And then she said as a Sea Org member, you can't have sex unless you're married. I asked her if she was married. She said yes. So I said, "Great! That means we can have sex!"
  2. OTBT Member

Re: Marty talks about Battlefield Earth

The Battlefield Earth movie reminded me of scientology auditor tech training films.

Cheesy sets, way over-the-top acting, bad soundtrack, assuming the audiences are clueless idiots that must have everything spelled out for them in over-obvious ways.

Pychlos are the evil space-alien bad guys? I mean, come on...
  3. Anonymous Member

Above all, I care about your Santa hat shoop. I will never see that crap movie, nor do I want to know about it.
  4. Anonymous Member

Although JT's mob is hot on Gawker's trail right now after their last write up, I think they would be very interested to know just how involved COS was with Battlefield Earth and that the leader of COS has blamed JT for the bomb of Battlefield Earth. not to mention that he considered him out ethics for being gay.
    Rathbun and Rinder don't exactly say the word gay when they talk about what DM said about JT, but we all know it was implied several times during this interview.
  5. Re: Marty talks about Battlefield Earth

Do they really want to sue Gawker and have Cable News getting into Miscavige calling him a deviant fag on one their their many slow news days?

If JT's mob are Scientologists, I believe they just might actually be stupid enough to do it.
  6. grebe Member

Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder, I just want to say thank you for this video taped conversation.

I see two people trying to give a fair account of a fucked up situation. And although you guys were a part of that mess and many who were victimized may never stop hurting, in revealing the little daily scams you remember from you time in the church, a lot of people will unravel their own confusion. A lot of people will be able to repair their broken relationships.

We're not homo novus. We're just ordinary humans, often lonely and afraid, very much unhappy about the whole dying thing, but glad to be alive and to have each other for a short time.
  7. Anonymous Member

Sounds like fag is implied in the discussion.
  8. Anonymous Member

Put the fishing poles down guys, nobody is buying the Norman Rockwell thing.
  9. xenubarb Member

Pollock Fish Recipes
  10. xenubarb Member

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. They're twolling for Pollock.
  11. Re: Marty talks about Battlefield Earth

If Norman Rockwell ever did a portrait on Trolling ... that would be it.
  12. gizmogirl Member

Absolutely! I'm getting a whole creepy "fireside chat" vib from the Man-who-would-be-leader. "Look! The god-like one is speaking to me in a relaxed and homey manner! He must be on my side and speaking honestly!"
  13. xenubarb Member

We mocked it, which was the fashion at the time...

14. Re: Marty talks about Battlefield Earth

Travolta never quite went as apeshit as Tom in promoting Scientology. It was still bad enough but I guess Tom thinks he is a more dedicated Scientologist than John. After all, he's got a big medal and John doesn't. I can really see him and DM bitching about Travolta. Maybe one day he "won't hesitate to put ethics in on" John Travolta. Come on John, don't take that from "Tommy come latley". We all know you've been in Scientology longer than Tom. Put him in his place. Shatter the suppression.
  15. OTBT Member

lol
  16. Anonymous Member

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/298-jett-travolta/r-lrh-ed-295-int-4-jul-78-john-travolta-74008/
  17. Re: Marty talks about Battlefield Earth

If you mean that JT was just as nuts as Tom Cruise about promoting the cult and my earlier post is wrong. Fine. Whatever.

I just meant that Travolta didn't jump on couches like he was the Supreme OT. Nor did he argue with reporters about taking ant-depressants. He was a little more laid back. Often when the subject of Scientology came up he just said that he wouldn't comment on such things as "Operation Snow White" because he didn't know anything about it. His answer usually was that Scientology helped him and that is all there is to it. End of story.

I know I am going to get jumped on for this but here goes:

If I had to choose between the Tom Cruise or John Travolta; I would pick Travolta to hang around. Cruise has the demeanor of a fanatic and I've seen enough of them in my years in Scientology. His intense facial expressions when he talks about the cult are exactly the same as the people I had to deal with in the cult. It is the self-righteousness of the more dedicated members of the Nazi Party or the Communist Party. He would have made a great "Young Pioneer", perhaps becoming the youngest "Eagle Pioneer" in his country. If he was a Muslim he would have been in the cabinet in the gov't in Iran.

Travolta on the other hand seems mellow compared to TC. He comes across as soft-spoken in interviews and certainly isn't trying to be an action hero in real life.

I shouldn't have to spell this out but experience here tells me that I have to:

NO. I WOULDN'T HANG OUT WITH EITHER OF THEM IN REALITY. And yes, I do know that Travolta promotes Scientology. Most of them do.
  18. Anonymous Member

Glad i am not the only one to think that this "spontaneous" discussion was staged. I saw the first minutes of the video and was wondering, Marty, Rinder; what are you trying to prove, and to whom? It all seemed so artificial, faux and insincere. Look at us, we're ever so relaxed fishing and having a chat like two real gentlemen, the marty rag tag blog and auditing is making us tons of money, we're successful! For fucks sake, next thing you know you will have Rathbun productions and a new cult is born.
  19. Anonymous Member

And for those likely to rationalize the above with an argument such as: But we have to use cult methodologies to reach those still in. What's next? Hanging Vietnam style cages down by that water front porch --just in case someone gets nostalgic of the rpf and wants the life sucked out of him by leeches?
  20. Anonymous Member

If they're really fishing, then where's the beer?
  21. Rockyj Member

Is that you Elmer Fudd?
    [IMG]
  22. Anonymous Member

I think the whole fishing set is psy-ops.

They are shown to be relaxed, living in a very nice place, fishin' and takin' it easy. The "good life".

Instead of falling into a pit of fire or ending up in the gutter as "degraded beings" like $cilon propaganda would have people believe...they are doing great.

This is directed at OSA and also $cilons that are no longer fully 'bought in' to the $cilon BS.

It shows OSA that M & M are 'bullet proof' and their ops are not working. This is proof that the $cilon tech doesn't work.

It also shows $cilons that are still 'in' that there are alternatives that are far far far superior to the crap that the $cilon CULT has in store for them.

RPF for not kowtowing to the Great and Powerful Oz aka little Miss Cabbage and the $cilon 'party line'?

"No. I think not. I rather spend a relaxing day fishing on my own dock."

That is a very powerful image for the intended target audience.

If all the people in the RPF camps could see this video, they would blow en masse.

This is PROOF POSITIVE.
  23. Smurf Member

Notice that neither caught any fish. Must be their O/Ws.
  24. Anonymous Member

So they are on the dock with some fishing poles instead of in the Ft. Harrison, or on the Freewinds ? In a t-shirt instead of a shirt and tie. doesn't seem like an upgrade to me.

I take it that you are saying they are trying to send some sort of covert message in the video with the fishing poles, correct ? I think the problem people had with the fishing poles was that it did seem like a covert psychological message or "put on". - I think that them putting on a show for the camera is what made people here think it ranged from a little cheezy to downright underhanded. Why does it have to be a covert message instead of just coming out and saying it ? -- But don't get me wrong it isn't that big of a deal. Maybe they just wanted to try to make their video more interesting.
  25. Anonymous Member

Yeah. The "good life".

Not everybody's idea of the "good life" is being in a long sleeved dress shirt, continually half strangled by the constraints of a tie. Much better than their former $cilon automaton existence. They are seen here as relaxed, having fun, feet on the ground and "human".

It does seem like an upgrade to me. Quite an improvement. In fact, if I were a $cilon, it would look like heaven.

If you were part of the $cilon target audience, you would think it's an upgrade when compared to $cilon staff being in a shirt and tie being subjected to ungodly pressure day in day out for years on end. No time to relax. No fun. No money. That is the reality for $cilon staff at the Ft. Harrison and Failwinds.

BTW, it is fairly rare for most people to fish in a shirt and tie. Or boating, skiing, parasailing, sky diving, scuba diving, golf, bird watching, knitting, etc. Shirt and tie are not commonly considered appropriate attire for most leisure activities, as it turns out.

It's not covert. It's subtle. It's effective. There are many ways to say something.

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

And it was done and uploaded to YouTube for world wide dissemination for free.

This compared to the multi-million dollar $cilon campaign to Fair Game M & M which has resulted in...(drum roll, please)...M & M fishin' and living the "good life".

This has to frustrate the heck out of Little Miss Cabbage (and his 'mighty' tech) just as it is designed to do.

Also, I do think they also wanted to be a little creative and make the video more interesting. They succeeded.

Well done.
  26. Re: Marty talks about Battlefield Earth

Exactly. A perfectly staged scene missing one crucial ingredient. I mean who is eating a muddy trout without a cold one to wash it down.
  27. Anonymous Member

I beat you to the punch before. Don't try and rationalize what is nothing less than M&M miserably failing at being slick and smooth, in a poor attempt to impress either ex culties or their own cult followers.
  28. pedrofcuk Member

I lol'd.
  29. veravendetter Member

martyg.jpg
  30. pedrofcuk Member

Amazingly, BE memorabilia IS increasing in value on ebay.
  31. veravendetter Member

Most /b/ movies end up with a 'cult' following.
  32. Anonymous Member

Okay, but those places are advertised as being relaxing and practically a vacation for people who are not staff. But they are not particularly relaxing or a vacation once you arrive, at least not from what I'm told. "$cilons" are accustomed to being given one impression before they get someplace and then once they arrive having a totally different experience. If they are on staff they would read LRH's policy letters that tell them when recruiting to tell potential "customers" anything they want to hear to get them in the door. LRH called it a "Come On"and they have to word clear it, why would they trust an obviously staged fishing trip ?

PS You are the most Pro-Marty non-"Scilon" I have ever met.
  33. grebe Member

Heheh. Nice.
  34. Anonymous Member

Wandered through bedroom last night where husband was watching one of those programs where they go looking for things like the Loch Ness monster and bigfoot. Just as I walked in, the host of the show says something like, "And after a 14 hour flight where the ONLY in-flight movie offered was Battlefield Earth, I was ready for anything the Malaysian jungle could throw my way."

I lol'd.
  35. grebe Member

I wouldn't get too distracted by the fishing kit. The important part of that video, IMHO, was the info about David Miscavige reviewing the dailies for BE and playing director with transcribed instructions, then praising Travolta only until it became clear the movie was a dog, then disavowing his role in the film and blaming Travolta for ruining the picture with his out-ethics.

Rathbun mentions some events going on at the same time --e.g., LMT meetings. Others were involved in writing up Miscavige's instructions and sending them to the BE director on the set. So the story can be confirmed by persons who might now be willing to share their own experiences from that time period.

The entire story is pretty lulzy and hopefully Hollywood will pass it around.
  36. Anonymous Member

I agree too much emphasis on the fishing, had stated that in the previous post that you quoted.

It is still unclear to me if Marty is trying to blame BFE's failure on it being a shitty movie or if he believes DM's out ethics are to blame. He really tries to sit on the fence when it comes to what he believes.

I think Hollywood is trying to forget this movie, but if anything was going to be passed around like JT in a LA bathhouse*, I imagine it has happened already.
    (*allegedly in the bathhouse)
  37. Anonymous Member

Ft. Harrison, the Failwinds and the whole $cilon Con is marketed as one thing while being quite another. This approach is targeted by the CULT to a completely different market than the audience targeted by M&M.

M&M's target audience is not the "true believers" that still swallow the CULT line. M&M's target audience are the CULT members that are starting to wake up, starting to see past the CULT BS, full on disgruntled, disillusioned, about to blow, blown, inactive, questioning, etc. $cilons.

The two target markets are worlds apart.

One, you have never met me.

Two, I give "credit where credit is due". That doesn't make me pro or anti anything. It is a separate distinction.

The FREE video they did was a very crafty, efficient, effective psy ops that displays some serious understanding and requires some serious mastery. It has obviously gone over your head, but, that is your shortcoming and not that of the video.

Michael Jackson was a good singer and writer and, unfortunately, a child molester.

I am not pro-Michael Jackson because he was a child molester. I just can't dismiss that fact.

I do, however, recognize that he often operated at the 'genius' level in his professional field. That is an objective observation...separate from any personal feelings and/or judgements regarding other areas of his life.

You are too blinded by hatred and predjudice to separate one from the other.

(BTW, when you hate anything...you have lost control...to one degree or another. In your case, you have lost control of seeing. Your hatred has blinded you.)

Godwin's Law Alert!!!

You don't have to be pro or anti Uncle Adolph to objectively give credit to him for heading the regime to back and actively encouraged the development of the VW beetle and the first freeways. Both superb innovations that were ahead of their time.
  38. Anonymous Member

I'm an ex, and I HATE Scientology

YouTube - Joy Division - She's Lost Control
  39. veravendetter Member

Bollocks. Sounds like Oprah-logic to me.

also; bumping for the joy division :)
  40. Anonymous Member

Hatred ? Not really, I will admit that I don't like what Marty is doing. And I admit I don't trust him, for reasons I mention pretty freely.

Example of my out of control hatred:
    All of this stems from a comment when I claimed nobody is buying the Norman Rockwell thing. And you yourself repeatedly admit that there was something contrived in the video.

I think it was ITT I called him a compulsive manipulator. But that post could be in the Magoo thread. To clarify, this is one of his less hurtful manipulations, not like some that people I consider to be my friends have been on the receiving end of.

If I have said anything hateful feel free to let me know what it was. As I am apparently "blind" to it.