Customize

media wall of shame

Discussion in 'Media' started by Anonymous, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Anonymous Member

I can understand how a celebrity news agency might react to something posted that they believe was disrespectful of their crusade and noble causes.

The article is a puff-piece and you called it the way you saw it. As bottom-feeders they got butt-hurt and took it out on your posted comment. Bottom-feeders aren't known for emotional maturity or intellectual acuity.

Perhaps words like 'vapid' or any of these - insipid, uninspired, colorless, uninteresting, feeble, flat, dull, boring, tedious, tired, unexciting, uninspiring, unimaginative, uninvolving, lifeless, tame, vacuous, bland, trite, jejune - could raise the ire of the editors and moderators to the level of assploding heads?
  2. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. anon8109 Member

This is a surprise. The Daily Mail which ranks high as a publication that exposes the Scientology corporation's abuses crimes and bizarre teachings puts out a puff piece about Kate Ceberano winning the cult's "Medal of Freedom", and unquestioningly repeats the cult's claim that 7 500 members attended the ceremony when census numbers indicate fewer than 2 500 members in England and Wales.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Kilia Member

Love the comments there. Many people know about the REAL $cientology!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DeathHamster Member

So bad that they couldn't even spell Narconon right:
    http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/county-news/heathfield-home-to-drug-scheme-1-6390789
    • Gratuitous mention of Tom Cruise and Tron Jamolta.
    • The opinion of some guy in a pub.
    • Quickly brushing over controversy and body counts with "mainstream medicine doesn't like us, waaah!" Oh well, flush all that evidence that it's dangerous quackery that doesn't work: Narniacon says that science doesn't like them, so that's alright then.
    • No examination of the idea that anything that fights drugs is automatically good, even if it doesn't.
    • Can't spell Narconon right.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. This is not good. Does anyone know when it is due to open?
  7. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 5
  8. anon8109 Member

I haven't had anything to add here for the past 5 months.

A good sign that things might be changing.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. anon8109 Member

After interviewing Claire Headley on a previous program about being abused as a child in the sea org, this radio station gives Scientology what amounts to a 20 minute infomercial promoting the cult with the usual pack of outright lies, and lets the company call Claire a liar.

• Like Like x 3
  10. peterstorm Member

Obviously the hosts did little research.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Quentinanon Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. anon8109 Member

Howard Stern and Alec Baldwin act as enablers, defending Tom Cruise and claiming that they have no idea that the cult hurts anyone.

Alec then contradicts himself in the very next sentence, admitting that he has heard that some bad things happened to some people, but then says that working with Cruise is so wonderful that he just doesn't care.

• Like Like x 2
  13. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. anon8109 Member

http://nypost.com/2015/11/02/come-on-cut-scientologists-a-break/

Didn't expect the NY Post to echo the Scientology corporation's fair gaming of Leah Remini. The NY Post has previously exposed some of the company's criminality and egregious abuses.

What were Andre Peyser and her editor thinking? Was she trying to be shocking and controversial to get readers? Or is she cruel out of ignorance?
    • Like Like x 2
  15. anon8109 Member

Oct 31 2015

A pure propaganda piece by a local ABC TV news affiliate in Utah, reporting the cult's usual recruitment lies and calling it "the truth about the religion"

http://www.good4utah.com/news/local-news/inside-the-utah-church-of-scientology

There are probably those who read this who think we haven't covered negative things about Scientology and those who think we haven't had enough positive things to say. Carlisle says that's the essence of a fair story.

Bottom line, whatever you think about Scientology, it seems to work for millions of members in dozens of countries around the world.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. Quentinanon Member

Hollywood actors live in a reality bubble that does not facilitate critical thinking. Their opinions of anything other than acting do not contribute anything special.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jim Norton and Sam Roberts, who host the radio Jim and Sam Show give Giovanni Ribisi carte blanche to promote scientology and to accuse Leah Remini of criticizing the cult for money. @25:57

Shame on them.

03AHJ_Vuv7sPIzi3P5VHivXnF4QVJWYudOQEX_HYGuj__SlacNUGRpAKxeZM4MkkT_LkZwGBJlfJnXWewy3_4tyXT9IfFD8BceHYxpzn7yrRDS3rw4qTqwvpo1jbMiN80iSTjWnTl1gVdPE7Cn4jk5RhnOi3FI9CYPHupkx-_e3zHLFhalOOmvl-0
  19. Jim and Sam respond to criticism for allowing Ribisi carte blanche on their show.

They say they would be happy to have Tony Ortega appear on their show.

scientology @ 1:46:10

Invitation for Tony Ortega to come on their show @ 1:59:45

20. NBC nightly news messed up the story of how the scientology corporation blocked the Clearwater Florida aquarium and the town of Clearwater from opening a branch of the aquarium downtown. Instead NBC trumpeted the scientology corporation's spin that it was all religious bigotry, and that the scientology bully is the victim.

Shame on NBC.

Tony Ortega has the story here: http://tonyortega.org/2017/06/04/ar...e-this-to-promote-l-ron-hubbard-to-your-kids/
  21. A whitewash story by Detroit's local ABC tv station about the scientology corporation's renovations of the downtown building ot bought for its "ideal org". They interview people on the street who admit to knowing nothing about scientology.

22. Incredulicide Member

23. The Wrong Guy Member

Opportunity missed: What Erika Christensen should have been asked about Scientology

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, June 21, 2018

Quote:

Your proprietor was on a family vacation a couple of weeks ago when a splash of Scientology celebrity news lit up the intertubes. Erika Christensen, second-generation Scientologist and accomplished actress, had uttered some interesting things about the church in a podcast with her actor friend, Dax Shepard.

Except for a few utterances we made on Twitter, we weren’t really in a good position to react to what was going on, but now we’ve had a little time to review what was said in that podcast and, more importantly, how it was presented to the world by the media.

It’s always interesting when one of the celebs in David Miscavige’s stable is allowed to speak publicly about Scientology. They run the risk, of course, that they might actually be asked a penetrating question about the organization they’re a part of, or about L. Ron Hubbard, or about what’s in Hubbard’s books. Usually, however, we’re very disappointed by what reporters or show hosts ask, and especially by how they react to the dodgy answers they get.

In this case, there was a pretty good chance that Erika wasn’t going to face very tough questions, coming into an interview with an admiring friend. But Dax Shepard is no dope or doormat. He’s a thoughtful, smart actor who has had some great roles — we were crazy about him in Idiocracy — and for several years he co-starred with Christensen on the NBC series Parenthood. We’ll give him credit for raising the issue of Scientology several times over their hour-long talk, which was part of a two-hour podcast.

Referring to a background in sociology, Shepard said, “My goal in this podcast is…to understand why something is the way it is and from that person’s point of view.” And he tried to anticipate criticism by suggesting that it wasn’t his job to try and interrogate his friend: “We’re gonna talk a lot about Scientology in this episode and I applaud Erika for being so honest about it and you might be at home saying you should be trying to prove to her why that’s wrong and I just want to say to you that that’s just not my interest.”

OK, fair enough. At least he raised the question with her. And her first response was actually pretty revealing — more revealing than most Scientology celebs usually are: “As a Scientologist — and I definitely cannot speak for every Scientologist about anything because everybody has their own beliefs and comes at it from even other religions and all kinds of stuff — however, I don’t believe this is the first time I have lived on this planet and I basically think I’ve probably done absolutely everything before.”

Finally, a celebrity admitting that central to Scientology is the concept of remembering past lives. See, was that so hard? And as we explained in a story not too long ago, in L. Ron Hubbard’s universe, we’ve all lived so many trillions of years not only have we “done absolutely everything before,” as Erika says, but what that specifically means is that we’ve all done truly horrible, horrendous stuff like sex-killings of children. And that’s precisely why none of us are in any position to judge a current Scientologist who does such a nasty thing. This idea is central to how Scientologists are convinced not to go to the police and report things that fellow church members do. “He’s saying that anyone who reacts negatively to people molesting children today is going to have all of this stuff in their track [their long distant past lives] that you can find. That’s what makes them feel that way,” Sunny Pereira told us about what Hubbard was talking about in a 1952 lecture.

We would love to have asked Erika about that lecture after she herself brought up the idea that a Scientologist has lived so many lives, they’ve already experienced everything. It’s a shame Dax didn’t know about that Hubbard lecture.

Anyway, Erika then mentioned something about having grown up in Scientology and whether she would do the same for her children. “It’s hard to raise someone as a Scientologist because it’s something that you do, it’s not something that you believe. And so my parents definitely are Scientologists, approached parenting from a Scientology viewpoint.”

Sure, when her kid turns 15 or something she’ll hand them a copy of Dianetics and let nature take its course. We’d like to hear from our readers who are former church members. How did you introduce the idea of being a Scientologist to your kids? How much pressure is there on kids born in Scientology today to grow up as members? This is an interesting question, actually.

Dax then brings up his toughest question, and we’ll give him credit again for keeping at it. He asks Erika if she’s been keeping up with all of the critiques of Scientology that have surfaced in recent years.

“No, because I don’t think that it…comes from critical thinking. I think it comes more from maybe that phenomena we’re talking about of being threatened. Something goes against what somebody believes and really identifies with and so they feel very threatened and go on the attack about something. And so I just think it doesn’t really have anything to do with me and my relationship with these books,” Erika answers.

OK, that’s a total dodge. And Dax knows it. So he keeps after her — why not watch Going Clear, Alex Gibney and Lawrence Wright’s Emmy-winning 2015 HBO documentary?

“Because it honestly it doesn’t have anything to do … with anything that I’ve ever learned about the group or organization as a group or organization,” Erika answers. “Like if somebody has read a book, read Dianetics or some Scientology book, and wants to philosophically tell me what they disagree with cool, like that is a totally different thing.”

Whoa. Hang on there a minute. She won’t watch Going Clear, but she would take a question about Dianetics? Really?

Oh, if only Dax knew at that moment the perfect quote from Dianetics to ask Erika about. It’s deep into the book, and it’s in all editions, even the copies being sold today, and we’ve written about how shocking it is that this line hasn’t gotten more attention: “The seven-year-old girl who shudders because a man kisses her is not computing; she is reacting to an engram since at seven she should see nothing wrong in a kiss, not even a passionate one. There must have been an earlier experience, possibly prenatal, which made men or kissing very bad.”

Erika will take a question about Dianetics? How about asking her why the book suggests that there’s something wrong with a seven-year-old girl who rejects a man’s passionate kiss. If only we’d been there, we certainly would have asked her that one.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/06/21/o...sen-should-have-been-asked-about-scientology/
  24. Incredulicide Member

25. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Shep Smith resigns from Fox after Attorney General Barr talks to Fox owner.