Customize

Memes, cake, lulz and location- knowing our audience.

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by mudkipstoat23, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mudkipstoat23 Member

Memes, cake, lulz and location- knowing our audience.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum; feel free to move it if so.

It occurs to me that there was, a couple of weeks ago, a lot of concern about whether too many memes were going to alienate the public. Now there seems to be concern as to whether not enough lulz are losing us support. I'm disinclined to believe the second, but that's a hard one to judge, and I was never too convinced by the first.

That said, I think in looking at things this way we're being guilty of everything that our opponents are finding doesn't work against US- we're treating the public as one homogenous entity, when they're not.

The reason I'm thinking this now is because it's only just occurred to me that in London, the Tottenham Court Road $cilon recruitment centre is REALLY, REALLY CLOSE (I mean, like the same bus-stop close) to the Computer Exchange, one of the biggest 2nd-hand video game places in the whole city. Which means, on a Saturday (like 15/3 for example), a hell of a lot of people on Tottenham Court Road WILL actually know what "the cake is a lie" means... and will be MOAR, rather than LESS, inclined, to take our flyers if that particular meme is used.

This is obviously only relevant to London, but I guess my point is that we could do a lot worse than checking out the places we're going to be targeting (not just for the pickets, but for flyering, leafleting, ANYTHING) and seeing what else is nearby beforehand. Judging our audience.

This is probably basic common sense, but it only just occurred to me. Colour me Slowpoke if you must. I'm definitely gonna be going for a "cake/lie"-related banner for TCR. Or possibly Ackbar. Something that will appeal to Computer Exchange customers. Check out what other places there are near where you're going to picket, or flyer, or canvas or whatever. If you live next to a church and you're flyposting, go with the "religion is free- $cientology isn't" stuff. And so on.

The reason I chose GD for this, rather than GA (though, as I say, mods feel free to move it if this is the wrong place) is because I think this probably works on all levels- if the thousands of US have between us that many differing opinions and attitudes, it'd be a dangerous trap for us to fall into to assume the same isn't true many times over for the rest of the general public. And that might be worth discussing.
  2. Re: Memes, cake, lulz and location- knowing our audience.

Newfag, we've had this conversation before. GFO... this is not under debate. WTF was the point of this post? I could be thwaping.
  3. Anonymous9999 Member

Re: Memes, cake, lulz and location- knowing our audience.

Wander down to my sig, and click "Signal and Noise".

Lulz and SRS BSNS can be the very same thing, if you take the time to thiink about how.
  4. mudkipstoat23 Member

Oh, I get that- I thought I was saying something a bit different, though... more to do with people actually GETTING, rather than being amused by, the memes...

...Lulz/SRS BSNS? Yeah, actually, you're right, that part has been said before. The location part I think's still good, though- maybe this should be moved to Activism after all.

(It was actually the Signal And Noise thread that I had in mind in the first bit of my post...)
  5. Re: Memes, cake, lulz and location- knowing our audience.

[IMG]
  6. mudkipstoat23 Member

Yeah, I get it, I Joey Deaconed on this one.

That's what I get for cracking out the booze at noon, I guess...
  7. mudkipstoat23 Member

Relevant paragraph reposted in London 15/3 thread. This one can die.