Customize

MEPO files: A 'confidential' Home Office paper, Nov 1975

Discussion in 'UK National Archives' started by Horseradish, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Horseradish Member

Here's an Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) note, about a 'confidential' Home Office paper they are to consider at a meeting of chief police officers in 1975.

The Home Office paper itself, including the Appendix referred to, are posted further down.

Edit: The Appendix makes very interesting reading. Read that if you read nothing else.

[Doc source: MEPO 2/10283/2, UK NA]

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Horseradish Member

First page of the Home Office paper...

Attached Files:

3. Horseradish Member

Page 2...

Attached Files:

4. Horseradish Member

Page 3...

Attached Files:

5. Horseradish Member

Page 4...

Attached Files:

6. Horseradish Member

Page 1 of the Appendix...

Without naming names, this mentions a number of specific incidents of concern.

Check out paragraphs (a) and (b), which describe incidents at Saint Hill involving both UK nationals and foreigners.

Attached Files:

7. Horseradish Member

Page 2 of the Appendix...

Paragraph (g) refers to a forged (by the Scientologists) subpoena.

Paragraph (h) refers to a child (of a witness) with problems, being threatened by Scientologists.

Attached Files:

8. Horseradish Member

And page 3 of the Appendix.

Para. (j): 33 writs for libel and slander to that point. The culties only proceeded with one of them, which they lost.

Very clear that litigation was being used as a weapon, to threaten, rather than as a means of achieving a legal decision.

The following para is interesting, concerning the sudden 'marriage' of a UK Sea Org member who wanted to return home to visit a critically ill parent.

Attached Files:

9. Anonymous Member

Many thanks, Horseradish. An extremely interesting and important document!
  10. This is a major find IMO.
  11. Anonymous Member

Many of the incidents in the appendix are unfamiliar. Bumping with the hope someone will come along who can can flesh out these accounts a bit more.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Horseradish Member

The woman found in the Ashdown Forest, and the instant marriage case, were likewise completely new to me.

You think it can't get any stranger. And then it does :-(
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Horseradish Member

Does anyone have OCR? It might be handy to have the actual texts concerning these incidents, in addition to the document images.
  14. thewayup Member

Wow!
    (Imagining some of this stuff as newspaper spreads reporting. Sweeney?)
  15. Horseradish Member

On the other hand, I could just type them up myself. After all, there's very little else for me to do :cool:
  16. Anonymous Member

I shall attempt OCR for you on this before the day is over Horseradish. You just keep doing the awesome shit you're doing.
  17. Horseradish Member

Thank you!

Next: I have deduced that there will be papers about this, discussing this Home Office paper, from the Central Conference of Chief Constables for that year...

That's got to be another file, unless they've thrown it away, but where/which file? Hmm, something worth tracking down.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Horseradish Member

Okay, I've just discovered Central Conference of Chief Constables does exist in the archives, under the Home Office series. Including a bundle for 1971-78.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Anonymous Member

OCR'd PDF version (oops, too large to upload here - had to fileshare it):

https://hotfile.com/dl/193811463/81...al_Home_Office_Paper_(MEPO_Nov_1975).pdf.html

Initial try didn't go so well. But once I whitened & brightened the page images up a bit, it turned out fairly awesome.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Horseradish Member

Great!
    Can now do text copy/paste.
    Thanks. :)