Customize

MH files: Scientology finances

Discussion in 'UK National Archives' started by Horseradish, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Horseradish Member

Here's a sheet listing income and expenditure over six years (1967-72) for the Church of Scientology of California. It's from the UK Ministry of Health [MH] files.

The original source must be in some way the cult... Would this have been compiled from accounts filed? (where was CoSoC registered?)

The currency is not mentioned, but the amounts are clearly in sterling: pounds, shillings and pence for 1967-8, and pounds and pence after that (decimalisation).

Notice the continuous accumulated deficit - and the sizable unexplained 'general expenditure'.

Also notice the relative balance between 'Training' and 'Donations' under income. Virtually nothing is Donations. Which kind of puts paid to their argument about money given to the cult by victims being 'donations'.

[Document source: MH 164/11, UK NA]

Attached Files:

2. RolandRB Member

If they are truly "donations" then I wonder how staff members who leave can end up with a "freeloader debt"?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Horseradish Member

I may be adding 2 and 2 to make 5 here, but I have a feeling that the 'charges paid to shipping companies' [substantial in 1968 in particular] are - in whole or in part - payments to OTC.

I'll post more about OTC later, but it is described by Lawrence Wright as another scientology front company.
    • Like Like x 1