Customize

MIKE RINDER AND REPORTER: MAN CONVICTED OF HACKING WAS WORKING FOR SCIENTOLOGY

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by TrevAnon, Jun 25, 2015.

1. TrevAnon Member

http://tonyortega.org/2015/06/25/mi...icted-of-hacking-was-working-for-scientology/

“There can be no doubt that one of Mr. Saldarriaga’s clients is Scientology,” Rinder wrote in his impact statement, which he submitted to the court today. “One of the other victims of this crime is Tony Ortega….The ONLY thing Tony Ortega and I have in common is that we are at the top of Scientology’s enemies list because we have publicly exposed their abusive practices.”

Mike's blog: http://www.mikerindersblog.org/pi-w...-pleads-guilty-to-hacking-me-and-tony-ortega/

ESMB http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?39806-This-is-Huge!&p=1046571
    • Like Like x 14
  2. A few months ago, a PI pleaded guilty to hiring hackers as part of his investigations:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/07/b...ilty-plea-in-a-hacker-for-hire-case.html?_r=0

Turns out two of his targets were Mike Rinder and Tony Ortega:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/06/25/mi...icted-of-hacking-was-working-for-scientology/

It doesn't appear that the court (or the US Attorney's Office) drew the logical conclusion about who hired this PI yet but both Rinder and Ortega have filed victim impact statements naming the Church of Scientology.
    • Like Like x 13
  3. TrevAnon Member

4. Worth noting (from Tony's blog):
    t1kk Mod
    Just to put the word out there that if there are any other Scientology critics or exes who have received Victim Impact Statement forms in this same matter, to please contact either Tony or myself, preferably as soon as possible, as sentencing is tomorrow. The more ammo the better.
    • Like Like x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wolfbane Member

/slowpoke.jpg

Certain anons know of certain script kiddie shenanigans we've kept quiet about cuz who dafuq wants more OSAOSAOSA fear mongering bullshit. Also, twas seemingly lame with no sign of 1337-ness.

But a Victim Impact Statement demanding to know who the client is, is not script kiddie bullshit to laugh off due to fail factor. It's a nuclear harpoon. DO GET with Tikk to fire that shit if you got a request for one and didn't respomd.

• Like Like x 11
  6. RightOn Member

wow
    if convicted, their tax exemption can go bye bye
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Random guy Member

My thought exactly!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Random guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. RightOn Member

so……
    the cult can promise this guy like a couple of million dollars for not giving them up after he gets out of jail?
    OR, maybe he will….

Why do I feel that the COS will not be getting in any trouble for this one?
  10. RightOn Member

Wonder who the other 58 people were?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DeathHamster Member

Tsk. If he ever tried anything with my site, he was probably lost in the background noise of spammer wannabees.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. DeathHamster Member

If anything solid comes out connecting Scientology to this guy, it could get interesting.

Me+like+_2e6eb5b32bf0feff1a385376eca55d25.gif
    • Like Like x 4
  13. This may be a stupid thought. But what if the client behind the Ortega and Rinder hacks turns out to not be the church? Have no idea who else it could be. Guess we could be finding out shortly.
  14. Quentinanon Member

As in "Bye, bye 501(c)3."
  15. bAnon Member

The PI's are hired by law firms, who are hired by CO$. This is the first time that a real bright spotlight can hopefully expose this ridiculous smoke and mirrors practice.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Disambiguation Global Moderator

It looks like the FBI is planning to give Scientology a free pass.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. RightOn Member

BUT WHY?
    Why did he abuse his powers to the detriment of his victims?
    That is the 64 thousand dollar question
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DeathHamster Member

How come the Feds are going so light on this putz-for-hire compared to Dmitriy Guzner, who clicked on a website?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Anonymous Member

Is Dmitriy the young man shown in Brian Knappenberger's film - "We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists" ?
    • Like Like x 3
  20. DeathHamster Member

Yeah. Sounds like he visited a site with the Javascipt LOIC, and then got the early-morning SWAT team wake-up call and Cyber-Terrorist treatment.

Compare that to a guy hired to cyber break-and-enter on dozens of people. I wouldn't call asking for six months Club Fed instead of staying at home and attending Prison Online to be throwing the book at him.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Anonymous Member

"Friends in High Places."
  22. Hugh Bris Member

It might be the federal gov is still skittish about COS.
    Sending a message to would be script kiddies is a lot easier, less blow back, than sending a message to COS.

And a lot really does depend on how many lawyers you can bring to the party.
    • Like Like x 3
  23. bAnon Member

Nonetheless, all of this continues the TICK - TOCK - TICK - TOCK

~popcorn with butter~
    • Like Like x 6
  24. DeathHamster Member

Apparently CoS wasn't his only client, not that we know much: "Mr. Saldarriaga’s clients are known to have included lawyers, wealthy people and even other private investigators".
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 4
  25. Did Scientology Hack, Spoof & Spy on Journalists & Whistleblowers After GOINGCLEAR?

The LipTV

Published on Jun 25, 2015

GOING CLEAR may have triggered Scientology to hack, spoof and spy on journalists and whistleblowers, and journalist Tony Ortega explains how the case against private investigator Eric Saldarriaga could be more than meets the eye in this interview. With Ortega himself the victim of underhanded maneuvers that seem to indicate the involvement of the Church of Scientology, we learn how the negative profile of the Church has been spiralling since GOING CLEAR is reaching new lows in this short discussion of the latest underhanded deeds that continue to raise questions about Miscavige and the church in this Media Mayhem interview, hosted by Allison Hope Weiner.

GUEST BIO:
    Tony Ortega is the former executive editor of The Raw Story and The Village Voice. He's written about Scientology since 1995, and is the author of THE UNBREAKABLE MISS LOVELY, detailing the harassment of Paulette Cooper.
    • Like Like x 6
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

Tony Ortega posted this update this morning:

After we posted yesterday’s story about how Mike Rinder and I had learned that we had each been victimized by the same private investigator, Eric Saldarriaga, I received an invitation form the US Attorney’s Office to speak at Saldarriaga’s sentencing today.

I decided to take it. The sentencing happens at 2 pm, and we are looking forward to it. But we’re also trying to prepare for this weekend’s book tour stop in Clearwater, Florida, so it’s going to be a busy day.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/06/26/jefferson-hawkins-on-how-scientology-closes-minds-a-new-podcast/
    • Like Like x 4
  27. RightOn Member

holy shit!
    MAKE IT COUNT TONY!!!!!
  28. Random guy Member

Ortega is used to speaking publicly, and he knows his stuff. If anyone can make it count, it's him.
    • Like Like x 3
  29. RightOn Member

Indeed!
  30. Random guy Member

He also know how to do the above without coming across like a moonbat.
    • Like Like x 1
  31. RightOn Member

Wonder why Rinder wasn't asked? too far away?
    Couldn't they use Skype?
  32. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 4
  33. RightOn Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 4
  34. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  35. From comments on Ortega's blog:

TonyOrtega • 36 minutes ago
    Saldarriaga got three months in prison, probably Fort Dix. But that's not why I was there. I want law enforcement to investigate who paid Saldarriaga, and I think that is going to happen. But the judge told me couldn't be responsible for that, saying that it isn't his court's job to investigate the Church of Scientology. At which point, let the record show, I said courts in this country have a history of letting us down on that score. I was told that I handled myself well at the witness stand, but we'll see how I come off in the NY Times. Now, it's time for a beverage.

t1kk ->TonyOrtega • 5 minutes ago
    Tony was pretty damn good testifying. Sharing beverage with awesome client.
  36. Tampa Bay Times: Court records link Scientology to convicted email hacker

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...scientology-to-convicted-email-hacker/2235273

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Thomas C. Tobin, Times Staff Writer

Friday, June 26, 2015 8:25pm

Federal court documents made public this week have linked the Church of Scientology to a private investigator convicted of illegally culling personal information from dozens of email accounts.

The investigator, Eric Saldarriaga, 41, was sentenced Friday to three months in prison for conspiring to engage in computer hacking. He pleaded guilty earlier this year in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

The Scientology connection arose somewhat by accident after two men who have been targeted by the church's private investigators figured out they both had been named as victims of Saldarriaga. They are former Scientology spokesman Mike Rinder, now a vocal critic of the church, and Tony Ortega, a journalist and blogger who has written about Scientology for two decades.

Both were prominently featured this year in the HBO documentary, Going Clear: Scientology and Prison of Belief, which took a critical look at the church.

* * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 8