Customize

MIKE RINDER AND REPORTER: MAN CONVICTED OF HACKING WAS WORKING FOR SCIENTOLOGY

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by TrevAnon, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Albion Member

I've just updated my take on the hacking story over at Byline.com: reax from the defense attorney, Tony O. and the sentencing. Would welcome some comments.
    PI Hacked Scientology Critics.
    https://www.byline.com/column/9/article/121
    Can somebody spread the word? I need to get a drink!
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  3. As is often the case, the New York Post is a bit more aggressive in its reporting.

Private investigator gets 3 months for hacking -- but won't expose clients.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/26/private-investigator-gets-3-months-for-hacking-but-wont-expose-clients/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

A New York private investigator who hacked the e-mails of dozens of people he was investigating got jail time — but a judge stopped short of helping to expose the clients that hired him to do their dirty work.

Manhattan federal judge Richard Sullivan sentenced Eric Saldarriaga to three months in jail for pilfering some 60 e-mail accounts, saying he hoped to send a message about the seriousness of cybercrime.

“Anything less than that would lead people to think … ahh, who cares?” Sullivan told the courtroom on Friday.

Saldarriaga, 41, who lives in Queens, where his firm is based, was also ordered to pay a $1,000 fine and forfeit $5,000.

But victims who showed up in court to read impact statements wanted more than jail time: They wanted the identities of clients who paid the PI to dig up dirt.

Tony Ortega, a former editor of The Village Voice, told the court that he was sure Scientology had hired Saldarriaga in response to his hard-hitting coverage of the controversial group.

“Why am I not being told what he did to me and who he was working for?” Ortega asked the judge.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Albion Member

It's sharply written, but they've buried the Scientology angle. (I assume they mention Mike Rinder connection.)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The FBI must know who his clients were. In either case, he needs to be sued and dragged in to civil court and compelled to turn over his clients names. He cannot hide behind attorney client privilege if he was working for a layer, as this was a criminal act. Would it not be awesome if it was Moxon? He would be disbarred :)
  6. RightOn Member

Moxon can't practice law *cough* in all states already. :D
    Elliot Ableson or however you spell his name would be deelish too!
    How about Karin Pouw? Laurisse Stukenbrock? Sylvia Stannard? Are these possibilities?
    Certainly DM wasn't stupid enough to put his own name out there?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JohnnyRUClear Member

Tantalizing crime thread is tantalizing, and badly needs pulling to unravel the foul cult sweater.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Did Scientology hire the man sent to prison for hacking us? Not his job to find out, judge said

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker

Excerpt:

I explained to Judge Sullivan about the astronomical coincidence it would require for Saldarriaga to target me and Mike Rinder and not do so on behalf of the Church of Scientology. Rinder left Scientology in 2007 after working as its international spokesman — since then, he’s been working hard to publicize the church’s controversies and abuses, and it’s made him the subject of intense surveillance and harassment by Scientology private investigators, something I’ve experienced myself as a journalist who writes about the church. As Rinder explained in his own victim impact statement, which he submitted Thursday, “The only thing Tony Ortega and I have in common is that we are at the top of Scientology’s enemies list, because we have publicly exposed their abusive practices.”

I told Judge Sullivan that when my attorney, Scott Pilutik, had asked Brill whether Saldarriaga had targeted me on behalf of Scientology, he claimed that wasn’t the case and said that instead I was targeted over some missing-person case that had nothing to do with me. Saldarriaga himself had said it had something to do with my being the editor of the Village Voice, when I first asked him about it in November 2013. By then, however, it had been more than a year since I’d left the Voice. The story didn’t add up, and Pilutik told me at the time that Saldarriaga was obviously lying to me.

I made that accusation in court yesterday. I was being lied to by a defendant, through his attorney, just days before he was scheduled to be sentenced. I told the judge I thought any court would be interested in hearing that.

But Judge Sullivan said he had no power to compel Saldarriaga to reveal who he was really working for. He wasn’t running a “truth commission,” he said. It wasn’t his court’s responsibility to investigate the Church of Scientology.

At that point, feeling my oats, I may have uttered something about American courts in general falling down on the job on that score.

But as frustrating as it was to hear that Judge Sullivan felt he had no way of pressing Saldarriaga for information about his clients, I did take away several positive things from the experience.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/06/27/di...acking-us-not-his-job-to-find-out-judge-said/
    • Like Like x 5
  9. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 3
  10. Hugh Bris Member

11. DeathHamster Member

They seem to be a pretty high-handed bunch.

The dubious entrapment with Sabu, bend'em and don't scream orders, and now seeing no need to inform the victims of the particulars of the hacking.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RightOn Member

soooo….
    do they only care about celebs and when they thought Paulette Copper was guilty?
    Something is very wrong here.

almost makes me wonder if they have some sort of secret agreement with the COS to never pursue anything that arises about them. Tin folly yes, but anything that gets started seems to be dropped before it even starts.:(
  13. Hugh Bris Member

http://popehat.com/2015/06/22/dojs-...eal-story-is-more-outrageous-than-we-thought/
    or so says the person who broke this story.
    Arrogance combined with absolute immunity explains a lot.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 4
  15. anon8109 Member

How did Saldarriaga get off with just a 3 month sentence without having to give the police a list of his clients?

If this was Law&Order the prosecutor would threaten Saldarriaga with the maximum sentence unless he gave up the people who hired him.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. RightOn Member

And what is the next step? Or is there one?
    Can victims demand to know who hired this weazle? Do victims have to go to court to do this? and if so why?
    Why did the Judge say the was "powerless"? Is that true or was he just afraid?
    Questions , questions, too many unanswered questions.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The victims or at least one victim, could and would have to sue Saldarriaga in a civil action for damages and attempt to obtain the identity of his employer in discovery (e.g., deposition, interrogatories, requests for production of documents).

The judge really pretty much powerless. It is not his job to investigate or prosecute. It was the U.S.Attorneys office that really fell down on this.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jeff Jacobsen Member

• Like Like x 6
  20. Despite the headline ^^^ this article doesn't seem to contain new info. The court records are Mike R and Tony O's statements.
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

A PI Is Going To Jail For Hacking Scientology Critics, And The Court Doesn’t Know Who Hired Him

By Vince Mancini, Uproxx

Here's the end of the article:

After the Sony hack, I guess it shouldn’t shock anyone that the justice system isn’t great at investigating hackings. Hopefully they aren’t saying much because this is part of a larger investigation into Scientology, and not just them throwing a middleman patsy in jail and going out for doughnuts. You’d think that someone in the government would have plenty of incentive to investigate an organization worth billions of dollars that doesn’t pay taxes, unless that organization has dug up so much dirt through their hacking operations that no one wants to bother.

At the very least, I’d love to see some of the emails the hackers sent in Tony Ortega’s name. Judging by the rest of Scientology’s smear campaign, I imagine they were similarly fifth-grade bully in nature. I picture David Miscavige calling his goons into his office going, “Try to make it look like he has a bad tan. Ooh, and a lame car. And that he’s a fatty, who loves hanging out with other fatties.”

This case is going to break wide open when we finally find David Miscavige’s burn book.

https://uproxx.com/movies/2015/06/a...tics-and-the-court-doesnt-know-who-hired-him/
    • Like Like x 4
  22. bAnon Member

"The number you are trying to reach is no longer in service. Please hang up and check your records for the number in question."
    • Like Like x 2
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 5
  24. JohnnyRUClear Member

Wrong Guy, you must have carpal tunnel doctors on speed dial by now, with this snowballing black PR bonanza! :)
    • Like Like x 2
  25. DeathHamster Member

avatar92.jpg?1381931307.jpg Tony Ortega Mod Juicer77an hour ago
    This is huge. The NEW YORK FUCKING TIMES just provided the link between the hack and the Church of Scientology -- after Rinder and your proprietor made that accusation a couple of weeks ago.
    • Like Like x 14
  26. Random guy Member

27. RightOn Member

tease me please me:cool:
    I am upgrading to a bowl of pistachios, fuck the popcorn! :D
    Just in case this whole thing doesn't blow over and dry up, which I think sadly it will :mad:
    I have been teased many times before.

edited
    I have been watching the mafia series on TV, and it was crazy how the similarities were between Lucky Luciano and DM. But someone brought Lucky down eventually.
  28. DeathHamster Member

So which CoS thug PI has Saldarriaga so worried?

Round up the usual suspects!
    • Like Like x 5
  29. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 7
  30. RightOn Member

getting good
    • Like Like x 1
  31. RightOn Member

tax exemption go bye bye?
    Is the timing of the opening of the Ideal Morgue in Columbia related?
    Will he flee?
    If DM is not on the FBI's flight risk list now, I don't know when he would be
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 4

33. The IRS still employs Head-in-Sand and Finger-in-Ears Tech so this will go nowhere. There is a lot of existing evidence that would support a revocation of the 503(c) status already, but as long as the IRS is run by Elmer Fudd, we will get silence.
    • Like Like x 3
  34. RightOn Member

But what if someone wrote a piece and publicly asks why they are not taking away their tax exemption? Like the NY Times.
    They can ask specific questions.
    Has this been done before?
    • Like Like x 1

35. I think there was an HBO documentary that asked that question a few months back that was heard by millions. Not a whole lot happened after that.
  36. RightOn Member

lol
    I mean a direct call out
    perhaps someone famous would garnish enough PR flap
    • Like Like x 2
  37. RightOn Member

And with the new development of the hacking it can be more fuel to ask them WHY?
    • Like Like x 1
  38. AnonLover Member

The following message was floated on FB by Ginger Sugarman when this story first broke. She had contacted Assistant US Attorney Noble to inquire about finding out if someone's email was amongst the list of 50 victims that were not contacted. I didn't think much of it at the time, because there was no solid backup for the alleged Scientology connection from the court. But now that dirt has hit, so I asked Ginger to repost this info cuz it seems worthy of spreading around.

• Like Like x 8
  39. JohnnyRUClear Member

The tentacles of the monster are beginning to curl back.