Mike Rinder's long-term memory

Discussion in 'Independent Scientology' started by Martin Ottmann, Jul 4, 2013.

  1. Retired Commanding Officer OSA Int. Mike Rinder was recently asked on his blog to give an account of his recollection about an incident that made considerable waves back in 1995. Despite the fact that Rinder does not want to be bothered with questions about his past as CO OSA Int., he put on a friendly face this time and tried to the best of his abilities to give a detailed account of his recollections of the whole affair.

    Rod Keller says:
    July 3, 2013 at 10:09 am
    It might be nice for you guys (Mike and Marty) to be forthcoming about some more of the things that happened when you were in. What happened with Miss Bloodybutt (Linda Woolard) for example? I think the stories about DM’s punching fetish are very valuable, but I think there’s a lot that is still unsaid.
    Mike Rinder says:
    July 3, 2013 at 3:48 pm
    Rod, if I had any idea about this I would have talked about it long before now. I havent got a clue what this is about and I have asked Marty about it and he doesnt know either. Seems like some some of urban legend or something that is apparently very significant to a few people and utterly unknown to most, including myself. I have a vague recollection of hearing about some wild allegations that I categorized along with the “Marty is in a submarine at the bottom of the Great Salt Lake.” Sorry, I dont have any information about this whatsoever.
    Jim Lippard says:
    July 3, 2013 at 9:57 pm
    Mike: The Church of Scientology went to court in Finland to obtain the identity of the individual who leaked a report from INCOMM on alt.religion.scientology under the name -AB- about the encounter between Linda Woolard and Tom Klemesrud, which occurred in the midst of RTC v. Netcom, which also named Klemesrud (or his BBS) as a defendant. -AB- turned out to be a Caltech alumnus who was working for Scientology at INCOMM, Thomas Rummelhart. There’s no question that Scientology *at least* sought out Woolard and interviewed her to produce the report which Rummelhart leaked. I also tracked her down and interviewed her to get her side of the story for my 1995 Skeptic magazine article: [...]
    Mike Rinder says:
    July 3, 2013 at 10:59 pm
    Thanks. Though this is very off topic.
    I DO know something about Tom Rummelhart, who was held in a room in the PAC base for months while he was sec checked. It was MANY months and he was not allowed to leave. He was under guard. He was watched with cameras that bugged the room. He was sec checked by Hansueli Stahli from RTC. When he did eventually leave, he was interviewed on camera by Elliot Abelson and I was present (and Kirsten Caetano may also have been present) and Abelson essentially told him he had better behave because he could have been prosecuted for espionage. Kirsten Caetano accompanied him back to his mother’s home in Iowa (or somewhere in the MidWest) and stayed with him for some weeks as I recall to ensure he was settled in and was not going to cause problems.

    Interesting account. The name Linda Woolard initially did not ring a bell and when confronted with more details, all that Rinder could remember was a single Sea Org member who was put under guard, then threatened and sent home. Nothing about Rinder's own role - besides being in the room when the culprit was being interviewed.

    It is quite interesting to compare Rinder's account with the recollections of Dan Garvin, who posted them on ars in 2003 in two installments:!topic/alt.religion.scientology/hw6xKH-h8bs

    What Really Happened in INCOMM - Part 1
    On St. Valentine's Day, February, 1995, a very strange thing happened
    in LA. All the personnel of INCOMM, along with a number of others who
    had had dealings with INCOMM, disappeared behind the org's perpetually
    locked doors in the "Big Blue" complex. They no longer appeared at
    meals in their private dining room, even those who had non-INCOMM
    spouses they normally dined with. In fact, they never even came home
    any more. Late at night and early in the morning, they could sometimes
    be seen parading single file, under the eagle eyes of imported
    security guards, from the INCOMM offices to a locked stairwell that
    leads to the INCOMM berthing wing on the fourth floor of the Main
    Building (the Y-shaped building that fronts on Fountain Avenue). Apart
    from that, for four months these people were rarely seen by others.
    They never went anywhere unescorted by security guards (even RPFers
    can be escorted by other RPFers), and seldom went anywhere, period.
    They never saw their spouses or children unless it was by a chance
    encounter while being herded to or from their special berthing or,
    occasionally, taken elsewhere on some special task.
    What the hell was going on? This was unprecedented, even in an
    environment where paranoia is de rigueur. Other Sea Org members who
    asked about it were told, "You are not to even *think* about it. Don't
    wonder, don't speculate. Do not try to find out. Do not talk about it
    with others. It is none of your business." Once in a while, before the
    four months were up, someone would re-enter normal Sea Org society
    from "inside," but they were silent as monks about what had happened.
    Finally, toward the end, the INCOMM prison started emptying out
    rapidly. People went back to post, except for half a dozen or so who
    turned up on the RPF and a few who were dismissed from the Sea Org.
    However, none of them said a word, and to this day practically nobody
    knows what happened. When they were released, the prisoners were
    ordered not to tell anyone, even those with high security clearances,
    anything about what had occurred or what was done to them. The truth
    is, most of the incarcerated never really found out themselves *why*
    they had spent several months under house arrest and perpetual guard.
    This part of the story answers the question, "Why did it happen?"
    In January of the same year, I was still in OSA International. I was
    working on a special project to create a newer, better computer system
    for OSA to be able to search and interrelate its mountains of
    dossiers, reports, legal documents, media, and other information in
    order to better reach conclusions about whom to attack and how. INCOMM
    was supposed to do all computerization, but they had never done much
    for OSA and had little interest in helping, so OSA did it on their
    own. A public Scientologist, former DSA Boston staff brought out to LA
    for just this purpose, had been working with me for several years on
    earlier versions of the same system. He is a programmer par excellence
    and designed the system and wrote most of the software for it.
    The system was so successful that users kept demanding more and more.
    Finally we decided that a major new version was needed, a nearly
    complete rewrite. But computer systems were not supposed to be
    designed or developed outside INCOMM, and INCOMM didn't want to do it.
    RTC, who directly runs INCOMM but also deals directly with OSA, had to
    mediate. We could do the system ourselves, but we would have to do it
    within INCOMM and under the supervision of the Commanding Officer of
    INCOMM, Greg Johnston, if I recall his name correctly. Greg is the guy
    pictured doing TRs in the Scientology Handbook from pages 164 through
    182. Since neither my non-SO associate nor I had clearances to work in
    INCOMM, we had to work in a special wing that had been set up behind
    Reception. There were a few other non-cleared personnel in the same
    wing doing other projects for INCOMM.

    OSA Int occupies the 10th and 12th floors of the Hollywood Guaranty
    Building, on the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Ivar; the 12th
    floor being the top. On the 12th floor is a combined conference room
    and CIC. CIC stands for Command Information Center or Control
    Information Center, and it's where all the important information
    (other than "eyes only" ) is posted or summarized. All OSA staff are
    required to brief themselves on CIC weekly, or they don't get paid for
    the week. One day, I was on the 12th floor and found the conference
    room had been closed off. It had been taken over by RTC. That had
    happened before, so I wasn't surprised, but this lasted longer than
    usual. Then, a few days later, I was told to report there. I still had
    no idea what was up.

    I knocked and was admitted. Warren McShane was there. So was an RTC
    sec-checker named Manuela, along with two INCOMM technical personnel.
    I had been "invited" because I was well known for continually finding
    gaping holes in INCOMM's pathetic computer security. McShane wanted
    know if I thought there were still some ways that general users could
    get access to everything in the computer. I said, "Sure, probably."
    Every time I had reported something, INCOMM had eventually fixed that,
    but they had never done an overhaul to find similar security flaws I
    hadn't happened to run across yet.

    So he briefed me. A confidential report from the private computer
    files of the Investigations Aide, Linda Hamel, had been posted on
    a.r.s. They were trying to find out how the report could have been
    gotten and who had done it. This was no minor security breach.
    "Investigations" means "intelligence." This is the espionage and dirty
    (dirtier!) tricks division of OSA. Their "eyes only" secrets are so
    secret that even other OSA personnel do not have access to them. If
    somebody could get to Linda Hamel's files, then *no* information was
    safe -- not even RTC's. This was the equivalent of a five-alarm fire,
    except not even OSA could be told what had happened. Everybody was a
    potential suspect, and all the Invest personnel were kept under watch,
    in case someone who had legitimate access to the document had posted

    What was the document? Many of you will remember it. It was about the
    incident with Tom Klemesrud. The problem with Tom was his refusal to
    de-host Dennis Erlich and other anti-Scientologists for posting NOTs
    materials and being a general nuisance to Scientology. They sent in
    Miss Bloody Butt, who got Tom to take her home with him and then
    smeared blood all over the bathroom and elsewhere and was supposed to
    try to frame Tom for attacking her. The stolen document, a report
    about these events, was posted through anonymous remailer, the poster going by -AB-. -AB- had been on a.r.s. for
    some time and was well known, but had never before done anything to
    distinguish himself. He was just a pro-Scientology, pro-COS apologist.
    So he got this document from Linda Hamel's computer files and posted
    it as evidence "from the source" in favor of Scientology's version of
    the story. Linda or somebody else in Invest recognized it and reported
    the breach, and all hell broke loose -- but quietly, quietly.
    Nobody knew who -AB- was, of course, and Julf, who ran,
    was not saying. Take a moment to envision how maddening this must have
    been to Miscavige and RTC: They *knew* there was a spy. They *knew*
    that either it was somebody highly placed and completely trusted, or
    else their entire computer system was compromised. It's difficult to
    imagine which alternative would have been worse. They couldn't do a
    broad purge, because they'd be getting rid of many people they utterly
    depended on, and even then could not be sure of getting the culprit.
    And they could not let *anyone* know of the security breach, except
    the minimum number who absolutely needed to know. They didn't have
    resources to do broad sec-checking; they were sec-checking the Invest
    personnel who had opportunity, if not motive, to commit the crime, but
    if it was a low-level Sea Org member who had found a way past the
    computer's security, it could take months or years to find him by sec

    The INCOMM personnel working with us were trying to crack into various
    internet systems to discover clues that might lead to the identity of
    -AB-. They were also investigating internally for weaknesses in their
    system and searching the computers for clues as to who might have
    posted the document. They were also correcting the flaws I reported to
    them. The first few were easy for me: I already knew of several, which
    I had been using myself, not to snoop, but to have access to programs
    that made my own job more efficient. I "should have" reported them
    earlier, but they were great timesavers and they were not accessible
    to just anybody, so I hadn't up to that point. But then I went on to
    find dozens more, particularly under the account of a former CO of
    INCOMM, who had apparently set up his own access prior to moving off
    the post. Quite convenient for him. It wasn't really leading any
    closer to unmasking -AB-, but at least they were finally doing
    something comprehensive about their truly lame security. (I know, I
    know -- if only I had left *before* fixing their security -- but I
    have a feeling it's still pretty bad, just in different ways. They
    don't trust "wog" security systems, so they're forced to rely on their
    own, often incompetent and always overworked, personnel.)
    Meanwhile, Warren McShane was attacking the problem from different
    angles. He told us he'd briefed the Invest personnel: He wasn't even
    interested in punishing anybody, and wouldn't do so if the person
    confessed; he just wanted to know *how* it had been done. I remember
    thinking, "Yeah, right. That'll work." But, then again, anybody crazy
    enough to do what -AB- had done (believing it would help Scientology,
    and believing he'd get away with it) might be crazy enough to believe
    such a bald-faced lie.

    McShane took us down to the LA Police Department to talk with the
    officer handling the case. We told him what we knew so far. He didn't
    have much to say. He said it looked like an inside job. As if we
    didn't know.

    I had come to the end of my search for computer security gaps, so I
    moved on. I created a database, into which I loaded all the phone
    records from the PAC Base phone system, which records the number,
    time, length, and station of every call, incoming or outgoing (without
    the incoming number if caller ID is blocked). This was to narrow the
    possibilities of who could have been posting around the times we were
    concerned with. It wasn't helping much yet, but it might later.
    Halfway around the globe, Julf in Finland was still refusing to tell
    us anything about -AB-. McShane had contacts there and was getting
    somebody to lean on Julf -- hard -- but he wasn't budging. However, we
    had two things in our favor: Stealing computer data is an actual crime
    under actual (not Scientological) penal codes; and, according to
    McShane, some people had been using to post child
    pornography, so Julf was already in hot water. I'm hazy on the
    details, but I think the Finnish police got involved, and finally Julf
    revealed the ISP of -AB-. He either couldn't or wouldn't tell us
    -AB-'s actual identity.

    This proved to be the big break in the case, but not right away. The
    ISP was Cal Tech Pasadena. Road trip! Several of us, including some
    Invest personnel, piled in to a van and headed for the college. The
    Invest heavies went to the computer center and demanded their help in
    finding out who had posted the document. The computer center told the
    Invest heavies to get lost. There were a couple more attempts, but
    they went nowhere. Apparently, though, -AB- was an alumnus, or he
    wouldn't have had an account there. So we trundled off to the library
    and started going through yearbooks, looking at photos. After several
    days of little or no sleep, and an unknown number of years since the
    culprit's graduation, we failed to find anybody we knew.

    We spent several hours hunting, though. When we finally came back, I
    think I had a snooze and came in after dinner. "Did you hear? We found
    out who -AB- is!" No, I hadn't heard. But when we had been at Cal
    Tech, somebody had managed to get their access phone numbers. Since
    almost nobody in the Sea Org is allowed to have an internet connection
    and even fewer would have an account at Cal Tech, it was a simple
    matter to find from the phone system records when and from where the
    phone calls to -AB-'s ISP were made. This led directly to the night
    computer operator in INCOMM. This is another name for something like
    the network admin. Computer operations personnel spend their waking
    hours inside the holy of holies, the glass-enclosed Computer Room.
    When you have a problem with the computer, you call and ask for
    "Operations," and you talk to whomever is in there at the moment. He
    fixes whatever's wrong and, in between calls, does routine admin work
    like backups.

    Computer operators were above suspicion. It had never occurred to any
    of us for more than an instant to suspect anyone in INCOMM. After we
    knew, it was a forehead-slapping "DUH!", but not even McShane had
    seriously believed someone in INCOMM, with complete access to
    everything on every computer, would publicly post a stolen document.
    It was *too* obvious. They had to know they'd be the prime suspects,
    so they'd know better than to do it, because they'd get caught pronto.
    Besides, -AB- from his postings seemed out of touch with reality (as
    we in OSA and RTC knew it to be), and INCOMM qualifications were far
    too tight to have let such a person in. Nevertheless, there he was.
    I had spoken with Tom Rummelhart a number of times, but never met him
    and still do not know what he looks like. But, as Tom Klemesrud
    revealed several years ago, Tom Rummelhart was -AB-, and this is who
    Tom Rummelhart was. He apparently had listed his occupation as
    Director of Computerization, but that's a bit more grand than what he
    actually was. Although he had the access of an admin, as an operator
    he would not have had authority to grant or revoke anyone's accounts
    on his own, create or change data structures, or do much of anything
    but keep the computers running and maintained, fix problems, and carry
    out certain instructions from others in INCOMM. If he was truly
    "Director" of anything, he may have been the lead operator or Director
    of Operations -- sort of a chief technical flunky -- but I never heard
    of him being even that. As far as I ever knew, he was just a regular

    According to one of the INCOMM personnel on the project, Rummelhart
    had deleted the computer logs that recorded his clandestine internet
    activies and his theft of the secret document. However, he had
    neglected to delete all the saved earlier versions of the same logs,
    which were found once we knew where to look. Tch! Even I, an unwashed
    non-INCOMM lowlife who was not supposed to know such things, knew
    better than that! Anyway, -AB- had been caught.

    My then-wife, also in OSA, asked me, "Who is Tom Rummelhart and why
    has he been in session all day with Manuela? Does it have to do with
    the project you're on?" I told her he was an INCOMM operator and yes,
    it had to do with our project, but I couldn't say more. His all-day
    "session" would have been Manuela sec-checking the living daylights
    out of him, to see what else he'd done and whether he was a plant sent
    in by one of our many enemies. Unsurprisingly, he was not. It was
    impossible to issue a Suppressive Person Declare on him; they'd have
    had to say what he did. So he just disappeared. After that day, Tom
    Rummelhart's name was never heard more in PAC.

    Mission accomplished. Finally, we could go home and get some sleep.
    Except I couldn't. I had been two weeks or more full time on this, and
    the clock was still ticking on my real project, the overhaul of the
    OSA Computer System. Also, I had to put together a proposal for making
    the OSA computers utterly impervious and secure. Fortunately, my
    non-SO associate had continued to work away while I was off catching
    spies. A couple early mornings later, I was sitting in my office
    behind INCOMM reception, trying to stay awake after having worked all
    night. It was February 14th, Valentine's Day. In walked ...

    To Be Continued

    What Really Happened in INCOMM – Part 2!msg/alt.religion.scientology/zpp3nfabhQI/f2WEdA6clLAJ

    The Saint Valentine's Day Massacre -
    "What Really Happened in INCOMM – Part 1" revealed the internal events
    leading up to the virtual disappearance of INCOMM personnel for
    several months. A confidential report from OSA Investigations Aide
    Linda Hamel's computer files had turned up on
    alt.religion.scientology, posted by someone calling himself -AB-. An
    investigation headed by RTC executive Warren McShane identified -AB-
    as Tom Rummelhart, a night computer operator in INCOMM, who was
    security checked and then quietly sent far away.

    "Mission accomplished. Finally, we could go home and get some sleep.
    Except I couldn't. I had been two weeks or more full time on this, and
    the clock was still ticking on my real project, the overhaul of the
    OSA Computer System. Also, I had to put together a proposal for making
    the OSA computers utterly impervious and secure. Fortunately, my
    non-SO associate had continued to work away while I was off catching
    spies. A couple early mornings later, I was sitting in my office
    behind INCOMM reception, trying to stay awake after having worked all
    night. It was February 14th, Valentine's Day. In walked ..."
    In walked Susan Bolstadt, with a woman I didn't recognize. I hadn't
    seen Susan for years – didn't realize she was still in the Sea Org.
    She had been my boss briefly in 1983, while I was getting busted off
    the Western U.S. Programs Chief post. After we exchanged surprised
    "Hello's," Susan asked me what I was doing there. I told her, and
    wondered the same thing about her. She asked me to follow her.
    We went toward the interior of INCOMM. The door, always before locked
    tight, stood wide open. That explained it. There had been a serious
    security breach from within INCOMM, so an ethics mission had been sent
    down to handle the internal out-ethics in INCOMM and make sure that
    such a situation could never recur.

    This is normal procedure, and I'd been through it many times in other
    settings. At the higher levels, whenever someone important blows
    (suddenly disappears without authorization) or turns out to have been
    involved in seriously out-ethics activity, there is at least an
    investigation, if not a mission. The assumptions are, first, that the
    person had to have been exhibiting "indicators" (clues indicating
    underlying out-ethics), and, second, that the only way the other
    personnel could have missed noticing these indicators was that they
    were blinded by their own out-ethics situations. Both these
    assumptions are firmly based in fundamental Hubbard policy and
    "technology"; therefore, they are infallible. Everyone has to do O/W
    write-ups, the top execs and those most closely involved are sec
    checked, and often the entire org is assigned an ethics condition
    below Non-Existence. It's always unpleasant, but if can show that your
    own statistics are "up" (rising), you are automatically exempted from
    individually applying the lower condition.

    All this flashed through my sleep-deprived brain in the instant I saw
    the open door. I realized that Susan and her cohort were just
    collecting up everybody they found in the org. Since I wasn't part of
    INCOMM, I shouldn't be involved; I hoped I could convince Susan – then
    I saw Warren McShane by the opening. Oh, good! He knew everything. He
    would straighten them out and I could get back to work. Susan had me
    wait behind while she went over to McShane and talked with him a bit.
    I saw him nod "yes." Oh – well, probably just a formality. I'd get a
    briefing or something with the rest of them, because I was in on the
    deal, and then they'd send me away. They wouldn't let a lower echelon
    fellow like me see the burning brimstone rain down upon INCOMM. I felt
    sorry for them, but, well, they *had* missed what Rummelhart was

    As we walked in I shot a cheery (if bleary), "Hi, sir!" to McShane. He
    nodded and gave me one of those warm, friendly, honest smiles that
    Scientologists, actors, and politicians are so good at. That convinced
    me. Nothing to worry about.

    I couldn't have been more wrong.

    Thirty seconds later I walked in to a huge, linoleum-floored room with
    dozens of people standing in two long rows. One row was males, the
    other females. There were a few people standing around them in
    missionaire uniforms. Nobody explained anything; nobody said a word,
    except a missionaire who gave me a manila envelope and told me to
    write my name on it, empty my pockets into it, and put my pager in as
    well. I complied. He sealed the envelope and put it on a row of tables
    covered with similar envelopes. He told me to spread my feet and hold
    my arms out, and he frisked me. Then he went over me with a
    metal-detecting wand. Satisfied, he sent me to stand in the male line.
    We just stood there. After a while, somebody else was brought in. This
    was a woman I had seen and spoken to a few times. She was also
    non-INCOMM staff, working in the same non-cleared wing as I. She had
    to empty her pockets. She was taken off to a private room, undoubtedly
    to be frisked and "wanded" by a female missionaire. Then she joined
    the female line. This went on for a while. Mostly we all just stood
    there silently. Every so often a new person was brought in,
    de-pocketed, detected, and deposited in either of the lines.
    After half an hour or an hour, a new missionaire walked in. The male
    frisker barked, "Atten-TION!" We complied. This was Liz Ingber, a Sea
    Org officer and a senior executive who, as far as I know, has been one
    since the Apollo days. I was impressed. There aren't many
    Hubbard-and-Apollo-minted top execs left. The ones that didn't blow
    mostly got busted or found unqualified and are on lower posts or in
    lower orgs. Even RTC executives, though they have more power, do not
    have the eminence of someone like "Mr. Ingber." (In the Sea Org,
    officers are "mister" and "sir," whether male or female.)

    She ordered everyone to our side of the room, so she wouldn't be
    between the two lines. She began: "You're all assigned a condition of
    Confusion. You allowed an SP to infiltrate INCOMM." ("Confusion" is
    the lowest ethics condition in Scientology, worse than Enemy and
    Treason.) She went on about how suppressive we all were for ignoring
    this threat which could have wiped out Scientology entirely and was
    requiring enormous senior executive intervention to protect mankind's
    only hope. Obviously, we did not care if SPs destroyed the Church, and
    just as obviously, this meant we had massive crimes of our own. The
    mission was going to find them and find out who else among us were
    working for the enemy. "You're all under house arrest. You're not to
    leave the base. You're not to leave INCOMM." And so on. She never did
    say who the "SP" was or what he had actually done, which was to defend
    Scientology, however misguidedly, by posting a PI report that
    bolstered the Church's claims.

    If I hadn't been so exhausted, I might have been angry. Instead, I was
    bewildered and on the verge of insane cackling. This wasn't happening!
    It couldn't be! There must be some misunderstanding … There must be
    some kind of mistake … The Phil Collins song started playing inside my
    head, over and over and over. It was the sound track to my Nightmare
    on Fountain Street. I kept biting my tongue to stay alert and keep
    from breaking out into hysterics. After Ingber's speech, the
    non-INCOMM personnel were collected separately so the security guards
    (that's who the friskers and watchers were) could ask us who we were
    and what org we worked for. Some of them I didn't know either. They
    came to a young chap with an English accent and asked his name. "Phil
    Collins, sir." "There must be some misunderstanding … woo-oo-oo …
    There must be some kind of mistake …." At that point I nearly did
    break out laughing. I wondered if this was what it felt like to be
    insane … I didn't feel insane, I didn't feel any different at all,
    just tired, but that was just too much. It was impossible to believe!
    Well, on the bright side, if I really was crazy, they'd have to let me
    go and all this would be over. (Little did I know what had happened to
    Lisa McPherson just a few weeks before.)

    It wasn't until several days later that I learned the kid had actually
    said, in his thick Mancunian accent, "Phil Collinson."

    Well. The preliminaries ended, and it was time for us to start
    applying the ethics conditions. I still had the fond notion that I'd
    be out of there in a few days, so the thing to do to hasten my release
    was get busy with the program. The formula for Confusion is "Find out
    where you are." You have to do a locational on the area you're in,
    then compare it to other areas where you've been, and then do another
    locational on your present area. A locational is a type of simple
    Scientology processing in which the auditor points at something and
    tells the pc or pre-OT to look at it, then does same thing with
    something else, and so on. There's no e-meter, and they walk around.
    It's pretty informal. People "twin up" and do the process on each
    other. It doesn't require any training; just read how to do it and do
    it. But it *is* auditing, and the auditor's code applies – it's a
    serious offense to audit someone who hasn't had enough sleep. I told
    one of the security guards I'd been up all night and asked if I could
    go get some sleep so I could do the Confusion locationals. He said
    nope, just do it. I complied. My "twin," a kid named Don, and I walked
    around this huge, nearly bare, underground room full of people,
    pointing out things, or having them pointed out and looking at them.
    After my Confusion formula write-up was approved by the mission, I got
    to work on Treason, then Enemy, then Doubt. In those, you're just
    supposed to have some realizations and make decisions and write stuff
    down. That was good. I could sit down, facing the wall, and sort of
    prop my head up and think about what to write. And if I occasionally
    dozed off for a few minutes, nobody who cared noticed. Later on we
    were fed, still in the same room. In the beginning, we spent nearly
    all our waking hours in that room.

    Early that first day, everybody's pagers, in the envelopes, started
    beeping. Mine fired off a few minutes after I missed morning muster in
    OSA Int. I told the head security guard that I needed to respond to
    the pages, even if it was to tell the Director of Inspections and
    Reports of OSA Int why I wasn't in and couldn't come in. The reply?
    Nope. Let it beep. And so they beeped, in their sealed envelopes, for
    hours and hours until they were finally all carried away. I never saw
    mine, nor any of my pocket-contents, again until a few days before I
    was released.

    I don't know if it was that day or the next that they started putting
    us to work. On my first job, several of us were taken to an ordinary
    public storage facility in Burbank. My jaw hit the ground. *This* was
    where INCOMM had been storing all the backups and archive tapes from –
    forever! With nothing but a flimsy padlock between our top security
    materials and the world's SPs! There were two large units. One was
    filled wall to wall and floor to ceiling with tapes, and the other was
    getting there. Of course, they were enormous tapes that held very
    little data, even by the standards of the day. I estimate that the
    whole mess would have fit on 1,000 CD-ROMs. But it wasn't, and we had
    to get it out of there. Even OSA records were stored there. Under the
    watchful eyes of our guards, who could see every twist in the hall and
    every person, we chain-relayed the boxes till we had an elevator full,
    then chained them out into a rental truck. We did this over and over
    until the units were empty. We went back to INCOMM, and the truck went
    … elsewhere. Of course, I never learned where that was. I would guess
    it was to the INCOMM facility at "Int" (the Gold base).

    That was swell for my Liability condition, though, the next one above
    Doubt, because as required it was an "effective blow against the
    enemies of the group," the enemy being "out-security." It's tough to
    find flesh-and-blood enemies of Scientology when you're stuck inside a
    room full of Sea Org members. Unfortunately, that night or the next I
    almost let something into the trash that should have been shredded, so
    I had to start all over again at Treason, since "OUT-SECURITY =
    TREASON" in the Sea Org according to a Flag Order by Hubbard.
    Fine. Not fine, but, well, shit happens. Mostly it would be just more
    writing, writing, writing, and I'd have to think up a new "enemy" to
    deliver an effective blow against. Speaking of writing, the next thing
    we had to do when we were not working on ethics conditions or just
    plain working, was to write up our overts and withholds – O/W
    write-ups. That was always a good time-killer, and it didn't look like
    anybody was getting loose without a sec check, and theoretically
    writing up your O/Ws would shorten your time in sec checking. Plus we
    were ordered to do it. I complied.

    Later on my work took a number of forms, but one of the bigger jobs
    was to sit with a crew inside the generator hut (you can see it from
    Catalina Street, just south of the "Horseshoe" entrance to the
    Complex), destroying obsolete 14" WORM cartridges that had been used
    to store images of Data Files documents. We had to sand down the media
    to the reflective backing and obliterate it. That ate up several
    weeks. Other times we had to destroy hard drives by taking them apart
    and sanding all the magnetic media off the aluminum disks. Know
    something? You have never seen a strong magnet if you have not taken
    apart a modern hard drive and gotten at the magnets that control the
    read-write head movements. All other magnets are puny weaklings by
    comparison. I was playing with a pair of them and slipped – they came
    together so hard they sliced through part of my hand. And they were
    not sharp-edged! We also destroyed custom read-only chips, in case the
    enemy was thinking about duplicating the functionality of an INCOMM
    keyboard. You split the plastic package apart and file the tiny actual
    integrated circuit down to powdery oblivion. Or, if they won't split,
    you file through the package till you get to the chip.

    After the "de-kludge," or clean-up and destruction of all the unneeded
    junk, I started working in a room adjoining the main one we spent most
    of our time in. This is the INCOMM Hardware room. People who weren't
    INCOMM crew were moved in there to clean and repair all the hundreds
    of monitors, keyboards, and printers that had been piling up over the
    years. All of them needed cleaning, so that was part of the routine,
    but those of us who had some knowledge or aptitude with electronics
    and a soldering iron got to do the fun work of figuring out what was
    wrong and fixing it. As it turned out, the INCOMM personnel didn't
    know much more about it than we did, which goes a long way toward
    explaining why they had so much equipment that didn't work. So we were
    on our own. We fixed what we could, cannibalized what we couldn't, and
    got a lot of equipment back into use. I ran across a book on digital
    electronics and taught myself about it, eventually designing an alarm
    circuit for the now-ex-CO of INCOMM.

    Since the Hardware room didn't open on any room except the main one,
    and there was nothing seriously confidential in it, there was no need
    to have a guard watching us every moment. We developed some good
    friendships and had some good times in there. I really learned a lot –
    including what 450 volts through your hand feels like – but it wasn't
    because anybody was teaching us anything; it was because I had the
    time, and nothing else to do, and no place else I could go.

    One day, the Mission I/C (In-Charge) walked in and started talking to
    one of my new friends, a guy of about thirty from Denmark. Obviously
    something "big" had come up during this guy's sec check, and he felt
    he was no longer worthy of being a Sea Org member, so he should route
    out. He explained this to Liz Ingber. Did she acknowledge his remorse
    and remind him that the Sea Org needed him and that he could be
    redeemed? Not in the least. She simply told him that he had committed
    suppressive acts and that if he left the Sea Org it would be as a
    declared Suppressive Person and he could go join the Walking Dead who
    would never, ever, *ever* go OT. End of discussion. Out she marched. I
    didn't and don't know what his "big" overt was, but knowing what COS
    considers suppressive, it's probably something like he falsified an
    auditing report and said a preclear felt better when it wasn't so.
    Early on, some key people were going in session for their sec checks,
    but most were continuing to work on their conditions and O/Ws. It was
    during this time that Liz Ingber walked in and berated one of the
    INCOMM staff, in front of everyone, for masturbating (see Sea Org's
    Willie, posted three weeks ago). Another time, Susan Bolstadt made a
    general announcement: She had noticed that not many of us were OT III
    or above. This, she said, was an indicator that we were criminally
    out-ethics. Why? Because good Sea Org members should make themselves
    more valuable by going up the Bridge? No. It was because the fact that
    we were withholding ourselves from case gain proved that we had
    serious crimes – criminals subconsciously withhold themselves from
    becoming more able because then they'd be able to harm even more

    Ooooo-kaaaayyyyy … I would have said it differently – you assholes at
    Int rip off all our best personnel and, with pointless and frantic
    micromanagement, keep the rest too busy to ever establish a staff
    auditing unit, so there's nobody left to audit us, but anyway, Yes,
    Sir, Point Well Taken! In retrospect, of course, I am glad I never
    made it onto OT III.

    I don't even remember when it was that I finally started getting my
    own sec check. Since I wasn't genuine INCOMM, they didn't care how
    fast they got me finished and back onto post, and I was toward the end
    of the list. It was weeks after the mission's arrival before I first
    went in to session. There's not a great deal to say about what went
    on. I'd had many sec checks before then, and there wasn't much special
    about this one. There did come a point when the auditor, Leslie
    Worstell, was sure she had caught me out on Something Big, and she
    wouldn't quit badgering me till I said something that sounded like
    what she wanted to hear. The next day I was un-auditable – couldn't go
    in session till she had done a "repair list" on her previous day's
    mauling, correcting the false confession she had forced me into. This
    was all confirmed on the meter and she was satisfied I hadn't lied.
    Nevertheless, the report she'd written on my "confession" remained in
    my ethics folder, whereas the correction never went there at all, and
    probably still hasn't. Not that I'd care now, but if you're still a
    COS member, I suggest you demand to see your ethics folders (they have
    to show them to you by their own policy) so you can see what lies are
    in it that you don't even know about.

    Days turned into weeks turned into months. My sec check finished; I
    had to re-start ethics conditions several times, particularly after
    some RTC exec rejected my Liability formula on a fundamental point
    after nearly everyone else had signed it. Most of the RTC personnel no
    longer spent much time in INCOMM, leaving just the regular
    missionaires. However, they had introduced a new feature into the
    ethics conditions. Whereas in a normal Liability Condition you need to
    get the written permission of a majority of your group (org, usually)
    to be allowed to rejoin it, *this* liability required the signature of
    *every single* missionaire and *every single* RTC member involved, as
    well as the signature of everyone in INCOMM who was already upgraded
    from Liability. There is no such stipulation anywhere by Hubbard, and
    it was exceedingly "squirrel" (off source and illegal) of them,
    especially as "the sole guarantors of standard tech," to add this
    arbitrary requirement.

    If you've been in Scientology very long, or on staff for even a while,
    you've probably been assigned Liability or lower and worked your way
    through it. You know what it takes: After delivering the "effective
    blow" to the enemies and making amends to the good guys (which
    essentially means losing a lot of sleep if you're on staff), you type
    up your formula, make a bunch of copies, and pass it out to all the
    staff, You have a list. They read it, and mostly they sign it, and
    when you have a majority, you're done. If a few don't like it or just
    hate your guts, it's no big deal. Majority rules, and they want you
    back anyway to get their own stats up.

    This was not like that. In the first place, there was no typing.
    Typewriters no longer existed, and computers were forbidden to us
    untrustworthy criminals. Everything was handwritten, with or without
    carbon paper. I think we did manage to get access to the org's
    photocopier for the liability formulas, so not everything had to be
    handwritten several times. But the RTC personnel were hardly ever
    around anymore, so it was tough to even give them a copy, and if they
    didn't read it right then, you never knew when you'd get it back or
    when you'd even see them again. You didn't want to seem to uppity, so
    you didn't bug them about it – and they forgot about it, or some did
    anyway, and it only took one. And, as it turned out, one of them
    really did hate my guts. Toni, formerly Jacobsen, formerly my friend
    when she was in OSA Int, whose new last name I forget, apparently had
    decided that I was just a piece of out-ethics crap for ever and ever.
    She'd hang on to my Liability for days or weeks and then send it back
    with a senseless rejection. I never did get her signature. The mission
    finally gave up too and released me without requiring it.

    This was truly the liability formula from hell. It was not just my
    problem – everybody went through the same thing, except the part about
    being despised by Toni. Every time a new person got upgraded and went
    back to post in INCOMM, that became yet another person to get a
    signature from, in order to fulfill the new unanimous consent
    requirement. Not only that, they were no longer confined to our big
    room, so they became almost as hard to get signatures from as the RTC
    personnel. In the end, many if not most of us were there for close to
    four months. We worked, studied, and ate in the same room or rooms,
    and slept, under guard, in dormitories crammed with bunk beds and
    almost nothing else. We were watched or escorted to the shower rooms
    and back. We watched the March 13 and May 9 International Event videos
    inside INCOMM. We even completed courses inside INCOMM. Life, and
    death, went on without us. New York George's Restaurant burned down.
    We could see the smoke from our room. Timothy McVeigh blew up the
    Murrah Building in Oklahoma City. We heard about it on the radio. My
    father died. I had to take the call from my sister with a security
    guard listening on the line in case I said or heard something I
    shouldn't. Sometimes, in our sleeping room, I would just watch other
    Sea Org members from our window up on the fourth floor. I actually
    envied Sea Org members their freedom.

    Finally, the mission got tired of hanging around. They brought in a
    couple New and Improved INCOMM Security Officers from Int, since "we"
    had messed it up so badly when left to ourselves. They started doing
    end-time things, tying up loose ends, helping contact derelict
    Liability formula signers, They put on a new CO INCOMM. People started
    "graduating" faster. On June 14, four months to the day after our
    imprisonment had begun, it was finally my turn. I was taken over to
    the CMO Int Extension Unit in the HGB. After a while, Liz Ingber came
    in to see me. She said "You know you won't be returning to OSA,
    right?" I hadn't known that. I'd thought it was a strong possibility.
    "Your crimes are your out-security and your other fish." "Other fish"
    comes from a Hubbard Executive Directive in which he talks about
    Scientologists who have other fish to fry – in other words, who are in
    it for their own profit or interests or who aren't dedicated enough.
    She said she didn't know if I'd be able to rejoin OSA later, and told
    me I should start re-establishing an "ethics record," meaning of
    course a good one, so I might later become qualified again for higher
    postings. Since I didn't belong to INCOMM, she was going to remand me
    to OSA Int, and they would dispose of me as they saw fit. I was not to
    discuss anything that had happened or that I had learned, nor any of
    the handlings that had been done, with anyone, ever, period. Not even
    to OSA Int personnel or auditors. "It's none of their business," she
    told me.

    I was taken to a room with Coordinating Attorney Bill Drescher in it.
    He gave me a bunch of paper to read. Lynn Farny came in and explained
    that what this amounted to was that I was starting over in my
    relationship with the Church. Whatever happened in the past was over
    for good, and now I was at ground zero with a new chance to make good.
    Drescher went over the documents with me and asked me, on video
    camera, if I understood them. I discussed it with him a bit, made a
    few minor corrections with his agreement, initialed all the pages, and
    signed the document, all on video. Of course, if I hadn't, I would
    have been declared a Suppressive Person at once. Nobody had to tell me
    that. It had been made clear enough over the last four months. Jeannie
    Gavigan witnessed and notarized my signature.

    Free at last! Well, free to go back to work, either in non-secure
    areas or under supervision. I did a lot of that before I finally left
    OSA, and some if it is rather interesting, but it's not part of this
    story. I did have to get a "Leaving OSA Sec Check" before they could
    release me to the general population. Finally I was traded for
    somebody OSA wanted from PAC Renovations, and my new life began.
    INCOMM has been decimated. I don't think more than a dozen remained,
    and I can only think of seven. Two were sent to a Class V org because
    the wife was pregnant. Some left the Sea Org – I never knew if they
    chose to or were kicked out. Some went to what was then FCB, Flag
    Command Bureaux. Many were given to PAC Base Crew, the estates org,
    the dumping ground of the formerly qualified, the punishment detail
    for the terminally unfit.

    But the rawest deal of all was reserved for about half a dozen. After
    four months of imprisonment and degradation, of busting their asses to
    get through an illegal and squirrel "ethics program" and finally
    succeeding – these miserable souls "graduated" – to the RPF.
    Most Scientology executives are content to weld the barn door shut
    after the horse gets out. Not David Miscagive. Miscavige has to burn
    down the barn. (Thanks to Keith Henson for the latter half of that

    Well, Dave – burn away. We free horses are watching with interest.
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Anonymous Member

    Could you summarize that, please?
  3. OTeleventy Member

    Actually, thanks for posting the tl;dr. I didn't know this story and spent some time looking around and finding basically everything you just posted. Anon above, take the time to read it.

    Very short summary is CoS was pissed that someone posted data from their files even though on its face, and according to the one that posted it, it bolstered the scientology story about bloody butt. Scientology was mad as hell someone could do it. So they started sec checking evabody in IT.

    More there than that, for sure, but call that the primer.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. And it's perfectly normal for a church to have all of this security.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Anonymous Member

    Rinder badly needs a Sec Check, he's nattering.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Security -Checks are an abusive, despicable tool of a controlling cult. Submitting to or administering Scientology security checks and acceptance or approval of either end of these brutal investigations demonstrates the control and brain-washing that members have been put through as victims of LRH's endless, devastating, mind-numbing, controlling processing.

    Rinder and Rathbun oversaw and approved many of these sec-checks while in power and the punishments that went along with them. Imho, they're both arrogant, abusive hypocrites who have lied on demand for decades to cover up for Hubbard's cult and their own crimes.

    They both continue to lie and cover up in their current roles with 'Independent' Scientology and have zero credibility on the implementation of any form of Hubbard's brutal, abusive scam for their own selfish purposes.

    They could be a great source of help to many still trapped inside Scientology by exposing the brutalities of Hubbard's criminal organisation which they willingly participated in. The continuation of Hubbard's scam in an independent form for their own benefit is sickening.
    • Like Like x 8
  7. Anonymous Member

    A year or so ago, Marty, who was with David Miscavige when they walked, uninvited, into the Commissioner of the IRS's office, back in 1993, was asked about the possible blackmailing of the IRS Commissioner.

    Marty's response was (to paraphrase), "Hey, like I'm all knowing" (In other words, "I don't know nothin'"), and blew off the questioner.

    We might as well face the fact that there are some things about which Marty and Mike are never going to speak.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Of course not, these two abusive cowards and frauds might as well face the fact that as long as they continue to promote the abusive LRH scam they claim to be victims of for their own personal benefit we will speak out against them.

    The very last thing vulnerable ex-Scientologists need once they finally escape the mindfuck is more of the same controlling LRH 'Tech' by Rathbun and/or Rinder. Many exes do quite well over time and try to help others still stuck inside. These two want to benefit from their escape by keeping them trapped in the Hubbard mindset for 'donations' to themselves.
    • Like Like x 7
  9. Anonymous Member

    a summary
    Rinder =liar
  10. moarxenu Member

    Thank you , Martin! This is an important bit of information.

    As for me, I ask, "Where is the Edward Snowden of RTC/OSA Int of 2013?"
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Anonymous Member

    Question: Who here has read Rathbun's third book? Does he talk about these secrets in there?
  12. Anonymous Member

    I'd like to know what Marty wrote about the 1970s Guardians Office in that book. I've heard he goes into it in some detail.
  13. Anonymous Member

    One reference - Page #120:
    There may be "GO" references. I'll search for those later.
  14. moarxenu Member

    I haven't read any of Marty's books and am now thinking I should mostly to find info on GO/OSA skullduggery. Which one is best for this purpose?
  15. Anonymous Member

    There are plenty - a cursory look at some of these suggests that the history of the GO is a subject that Marty gives attention to.

  16. Anonymous Member

    Skip the first two. Go with the third one. That's where the dirt is.
  17. moarxenu Member

    Donker shane, anon.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. typical Mike Rinder - lie, lie lie until the cows come home. fucking guy is a compulsive liar and can't be trusted. Once OSA always OSA.
  19. lol you call that "dirt"?. come on, he KNOWS where the bodies are buried and is not saying shit.
  20. Anonymous Member

    I want the 'funny' button back.
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Anonymous Member

    Check your Inbox.
  22. Anonymous Member

    The G.O. was set up by L. Ron Hubbard. It was his idea. Putting his wife in charge of it while, privately, running it himself, was like painting a big red target on his wife's back.

    What I'm curious about is whether or not Marty admits that L. Ron Hubbard was behind the major abuses and "ops" of the G.O.

    Or does he continue the shore story that "LRH didn't know," etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

    Rathbun is quite explicit about all that. Lays the responsibility for fair game, GO ops, financial misdeeds to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, throwing his wife to the wolves, and much more right at Hubbard's feet. It is quite the read.
  24. Anonymous Member

    Heh! GO was set up by Mary Sue !!!! Fuck Marty and the fake history machine he beamed in on.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

    It's not a question of who "officially" did or didn't do specific things. It's a question of who was controlling / ordering those things to be done, from behind corporate veils, through verbal orders, bullying, intimidation, and threatening the loss of one's "eternity." Rathbun says Hubbard was the one controlling those things.

    Rathbun makes clear that Hubbard and Miscavige were sympatico with regard to big picture issues. He puts Hubbard and Miscavige hand-in-hand on the strategies of legal and church matters in those years when Hubbard was, supposedly, no longer running the church. His tale argues that Miscavige was not operating behind Hubbard's back on these issues, but carrying out Hubbard's own orders and intents.

    He underscores Reitman's and Wright's characterization of Hubbard as a good marketing man and refers to Scientologists as "customers." Perhaps the most dramatic part of the book is the transcript of a conversation Rathbun and Steve "Sarge" Pfauth had, in which Pfauth tells how Hubbard not long before he died ordered Pfauth to jerry-rig an e-meter that would kill Hubbard by electrocution.

    Finally, KSW Scientologists will be chagrined that Rathbun recounts the Xenu / BTs story, which he fought for years to keep secret for years while part of the church's legal team.

    I expect many won't be happy with Rathbun's book. Some will think he told too much. Others will think he didn't tell enough. And still others present at the events he described will see things differently, from their own perspective. For my money, Rathbun told much more than I expected he would. He also described many events I knew nothing about, even though I thought I was pretty well studied on this subject. Bottom line -- I certainly think it's worth the read.
    • Like Like x 2

  26. Thanks for chiming in, Marty.

    How much is the fixed donation?

    Google: Marty Rathbun / Lisa Mcpherson cover up
    (Over 39,000 Results)

    Truth in advertising: Marty Rathbun: "Memoirs of a Scientology Coward"
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Anonymous Member

  28. Anonymous Member

    So far everything you've described has been known for over 25 years, but I'm glad Marty is saying it now.

    That's a step in the right direction.

Share This Page

Customize Theme Colors


Choose a color via Color picker or click the predefined style names!

Primary Color :

Secondary Color :
Predefined Skins