Customize

Mistrial in Jett Travolta case. Travolta extortion case updates 2

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by LocalSP, Oct 21, 2009.

1. mojo Member

2. mojo Member

3. Ann O'Nymous Member

Re: Mistrial in Jett Travolta case. Travolta extortion case updates 2

A lot of nice PR pieces for the Travoltas...

It is a known fact that a retrial will be a piece of cake for the defendants and they they do not intend to co-operate fully with the justice...
  4. Anonymous Member

Maybe Judge Allen (is that her name?) and other Bahamians would be interested in this case reported by the Clearwater Sun back in 1984?

Extortion plot by the Church of Scientology to corrupt a Tampa federal judge

"Sun staff writer A current probe into a suspected 1982 extortion plot by the Church of Scientology to corrupt a Tampa federal judge might not be the first time law enforcement officials have investigated the sect's efforts to compromise a U.S. magistrate presiding over a Scientology trial. "

"In his report, Stewart described the intensive campaign by Scientology attorneys to discredit and cause to resign from the case three judges over the duration of the trial."

It may not apply to this cae of course, but it does show how crappy COS lawyers are.

the whole article:
    Scientology --- Extortion plot by the Church of Scientology to corrupt a Tampa federal judge

Maybe they can also be made aware of other things that COS has pulled in court in the past with some LRH quotes that will back up COS's litigious behavior.
  5. Anonymous Member

6. mojo Member

phil spector might have a few words to say on that subject...
  7. Anonymous Member

8. Tenebrous Member

You guys do realize that neither john travolta or scientology are on trial in this case, right?
  9. Anonymous Member

Wot?
  10. Tenebrous Member

So who here thinks the defense actually is guilty of no wrong doing whatsoever?
  11. Rhamni Member

No one who followed the last thread, I assume. At the very least they were willing to let themselves be talked into selling the release form.

People here are interested in the story because Jet's death wasn't investigated enough, and this trial is the closest thing that gets any media attention.
  12. Anonymous Member

no
  13. Tenebrous Member

Personally, I think the whole jett travolta thing is like beating a dead horse. It's a tragedy that people's personal beliefs can sometimes (legally) interfere with the treatment of their children, but it can and does happen. Am I saying it's right? Fuck no, but this trial isn't going to do a damned thing to change that.
  14. Anonymous Member

perhaps not, but its done a helluva good job informing the general public about the mess that is scientology

Yay
  15. Ann O'Nymous Member

We don't know what happened. Witnesses contradict themselves, high-level politicians are involved. Your speculations are as good as ours.

The difference, though, is that we try to provide people with as much as information as possible and not just telling others how wrong they are...
  16. auchraw Member

QFT ^^^

And because we like speculashun.
  17. Anon1720 Member

However this shakes out Travolta is still going on Oprah.
  18. Anonymous Member

I think the defendants are guilty and/or shady bastards.

I think the Travoltas and Scientology acted like guilty and/or shady bastards during this whole tragedy. I think there was a cover up from the very beginning and the fact that they are not on trail is disgusting. That is a separate issue from this altogether.

But mostly its amusing because a mistrial/retrial trolls the trolls.
  19. Tenebrous Member

No, the difference ann is that I don't start grasping at straws and making more of things than evidence warrants.
  20. NotMike Member

Re: John "heavy heart" - "wanted closure" but gains "strength from belief"

Prediction: Flying in 4 days a week for scilon moonbattery?
    Let's lay this out. If he is flying himself and dealing with not only an emotional issue like the loss of his son while piling on the mental fucking he will get from the cult one of these days the cult is going to mentally screw him up so much he's going to crash his own plane.
  21. NotMike Member

Morally, yes I think they did something wrong.

Legally? Let me ask you this, if they were offered hush money from the get go before they even asked, does that still make this extortion? I am not a lawyer, so I don't know the answer to that question.
  22. JohnnyRUClear Member

Seems like a good question to me too.
  23. Anonymous Member

esp in the context of a substantially different cultural and economic setting, one that has a lot of experience watching the 'people from away' having their every need and want met by crossing palms with silver
  24. JohnnyRUClear Member

That's the moral aspect again, though. We need to know what Bahamian law says on this point (assuming it's even germane, meaning assuming there's some possibility that the defense may argue that this is what happened).
  25. YAHRLY Member

stop muddying the water with facts!
  26. Anonymous Member

Dunno the Bahamas laws, but just google "Bahamas" and "corruption," and then you'll get a feel for their political issues. After months of watching them from afar, all I can say is I'm glad I don't live there and I'll surely never vacation there. It would appear that except for on-property at resorts, tourists are huge targets for all sorts of crime.
  27. Anonymous Member

The Associated Press: Bahamas MP faces judge over Travolta mistrial

28. Ann O'Nymous Member

Thank you for proving my point.
  29. Anonymous Member

terrific job on the wiki ann
  30. Tenebrous Member

I can edit quotes too ya know. :p
  31. Tenebrous Member

Legally (especially considering that it's in the bahamas) I have no clue. From my perspective, yes, it'd still be extortion. The bribe beforehand would be a seperate crime on the part of the travoltas, if that were true I would imagine.

That said, I doubt any of us will know everything that happened that night and without anything concrete it's going out on a limb to blame the travoltas for this situation.
  32. Ann O'Nymous Member

Nice way not to answer my point.
    I did not. Could you be kind enough to provide us with a link ? Should be interesting to read.
  33. Ann O'Nymous Member

Lurk moar: there is an interesting post by the president of the bar lawyers who explain the difference between US and Bahamian legistation re. extorsion.
  34. Ann O'Nymous Member

Travolta bids for US trial
  35. fitch2000 Member

Yes, don't think for yourself. Believe what you're told. Do as you're told. Nothing else matters.

That is all.
  36. fitch2000 Member

Oh hell no.....

I'm thinking Travolta's lawyers didn't like how long the jury was deliberating (or something more tinfoily I'm not going there), get some idiot to lie about Bridgewater being freed before deliberations are over, boom MISTRIAL

now move it to Florida, right down next to cult town??? for US taxpayers to pay for? thanx JT..

dear jeesussssssss
  37. Anonymous Member

What DO you do, little troll? What does the evidence want? Do tell.
  38. Tenebrous Member

You call endless pages of "zomg it's a coverup" and "the cos are buying everyone off" actual thought? Please

That's merely a knee jerk reaction to the events based upon your little obsession.

That jett travolta died of a seizure with no foul play suspected. In regards to the actual trial proceedings, it definitely appears that the two men tried to extort money from travolta by hatching some plot to say he's culpable for his own son's death, which evidence doesn't warrant.

As far as what I do? About as much as the rest of you. ;)
  39. Ann O'Nymous Member

We have people on the scene saying that:
    - Jett was dead for hours.
    - A cover-up was prepared right on scene.
    - They were contacted by people proposing to buy documents this very day.

I do not trust them. But I would like these claims be investigated properly.

I do not know what happened. If you know for sure, you have better sources than the rest of us...

And do not feel obliged to replace Herro during its temporary ban...
  40. Tenebrous Member

Do you think that it's possible that the people trying to extort travolta of moneys would make up things that aren't actually true? Also, as I said in an earlier post, you do realize that travolta is not the one on trial, right? A trial that's set to determine whether individuals committed extortion is not going to broaden its scope to suddenly start investigating scientology buying off the bahamas and whether or not john travolta did all the right things with his kid.

It's there to determine one thing, and one thing alone and that's whether a crime was committed on the defendant's parts. Even if the time of death wasn't spot on these two men, at least based on the current evidence, tried to bleed money from travolta so that they wouldn't start spreading a bunch of career damaging tripe. Also, there were two coroners, one being from the US, who didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Jett's personal doctor was also flown in, with permission, and oddly enough none of them came to any of these conclusions independently. Then again, they weren't trying to rip anyone off either, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I honestly think that some of you people think that a court trial is some kind of smash bros free for all where any and all crimes can be explored and prosecuted, but that simply isn't the case.